HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009 I

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
updates from Monday practice from the beat writers:

- Bourque still with the Caps
- Brashear skated, but not during the main practice
- Semin and Bradley not skating

speculation on my part: explanation for Bradley could be a follow-up appt related to his recent injury given the Caps have been traveling a lot of late

Old
03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Looks like the flu has struck.

Ugh.

Old
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Looks like the flu has struck.

Ugh.
ugh, but better than during the playoffs; my guess was wrong about Bradley, but this isn't surprising given recent reports, including Fedorov missing some recent games.

On a related note, the Caps did have 1 healthy scratch on D last game. I don't believe the Caps can call up another player (including Bourque on the Caps) due to the salary cap unless someone in addition to Clark and Johnson is placed on LTIR.

I guess it is possible that Brashear could be placed on LTIR if he is expected to be out for awhile and the transaction would meet League approval, but given the limited updates regarding Brashear it seems just as likely he could return to the line-up vs be out an extended period of time.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Foy

I love how Tarik just says that call-ups will be coming, even though there isn't cap space for anyone. Great reporting there Tarik.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
ugh, but better than during the playoffs; my guess was wrong about Bradley, but this isn't surprising given recent reports, including Fedorov missing some recent games.

On a related note, the Caps did have 1 healthy scratch on D last game. I don't believe the Caps can call up another player (including Bourque on the Caps) due to the salary cap unless someone in addition to Clark and Johnson is placed on LTIR.

I guess it is possible that Brashear could be placed on LTIR if he is expected to be out for awhile and the transaction would meet League approval, but given the limited updates regarding Brashear it seems just as likely he could return to the line-up vs be out an extended period of time.
Gordon as well could probably be put on LTIR, if he's really going to be out for a decent amount of time already. Laing too even? Although Laing makes next to nothing so that's not much help.

Old
03-23-2009, 12:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I love how Tarik just says that call-ups will be coming, even though there isn't cap space for anyone. Great reporting there Tarik.
I could be wrong

Maybe there is room (based on info. not available to the public about the cap actual calculation as it relates to the Caps) or maybe there is an emergency exception I am not aware of, but I don't know of one, the cap max is the cap max as far as I know during the regular season and I don't believe the Caps have room for a second player after Bourque (even with Laing, Clark and Johnson on LTIR, I forgot to mention Laing in my earlier post.)

I do recall the NJD's dressing a roster a player short at one point since the cap was put in place because of a cap issue and no room for a call-up.

Brashear's last game was March 10 against Nashville. IF and only if his injury is long-term and he was placed on LTIR, he would be available to play in the game on April 5. 24 days is March 11 through April 3 and the Caps played/play 10 games during that date range so he would be available starting on April 4.

Old
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Burgh32

Flash:
0pts in last 11gp
1G in last 15gp (and that's his only point too)

What gives?

Old
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Flash getting sick in January seemed to lead to his current slump. I bet he lost those 6 pounds. Fehr stole a little of his goal scoring gig and made him a passer around the same time... probably not related though. If he doesnt show something in the final 8 games, I think Nylander and his 8 goals is going to snake his spot. Hopefully Bruce will cure what ails him and fast otherwise he will be invisible like last years playoffs.

Old
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
I could be wrong

Maybe there is room (based on info. not available to the public about the cap actual calculation as it relates to the Caps) or maybe there is an emergency exception I am not aware of, but I don't know of one, the cap max is the cap max as far as I know during the regular season and I don't believe the Caps have room for a second player after Bourque (even with Laing, Clark and Johnson on LTIR, I forgot to mention Laing in my earlier post.)

I do recall the NJD's dressing a roster a player short at one point since the cap was put in place because of a cap issue and no room for a call-up.

Brashear's last game was March 10 against Nashville. IF and only if his injury is long-term and he was placed on LTIR, he would be available to play in the game on April 5. 24 days is March 11 through April 3 and the Caps played/play 10 games during that date range so he would be available starting on April 4.
are you tarik?

Old
03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
Flash:
0pts in last 11gp
1G in last 15gp (and that's his only point too)

What gives?
To be fair, he's had 2 goals washed out.

But yeah, he's slumping.

Old
03-23-2009, 05:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
are you tarik?
I so don't understand this post??? The post you quoted by me was in the context of my earlier comments in this thread on the same topic.

For others, I try to keep up with this stuff, but I haven't read any of the CBA the last while, it is possible there is a difference in numbers and a way for another play to be called up but I think the most likely would be Brashear going on LTIR. One thought is whether the emergency goalie call-up, Varlamov, can somehow circumvent the cap constraint, but I doubt it; the cap is the cap, the LTIR is the exception I am aware of that is possible.

Old
03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
are you tarik?
She just knows a heck of a lot more about the CBA than him.

Old
03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
sk84fun_dc

geez, I typed that last post too quickly, lovely typos (e.g., play should be player), lol, busy day

edit: and I skimmed a few sections of the CBA, including 50.10; as expected, I don't see a way around the upper limit even under emergency call-ups, other than the known LTIR exception. Laing, Johnson and Clark are on LTIR at this time. I haven't updated my spreadsheet, but I don't believe there is a room for another call-up above the ones already made (Varlamov, Bourque) and with Pothier no longer on LTIR.

I forgot to mention another possible candidate for LTIR other than Brashear...Boyd Gordon...and some possible dollars for a call-up if it were to happen...so here is the info. on Boyd Gordon even though the official word on his injury is 2-3 weeks. Last game played March 17 at Florida; 24 days starting with 3/18 is April 10, but the 10th game would be the last game of the season, Aptil 11; so if I did the counts correctly, he would not be eligible to play again until the first game of the playoffs, even if he ended up being ready to return before then if he was placed on LTIR.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 03-23-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old
03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Or maybe they'll just make Semin play sick and everyone will crucify him for not backchecking hard and blame him for every goal even if he isn't on the ice.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

surprised this didn't leak online before now, but now that there is some info. online...

based on information, the Caps have called up a pest so that should make some people happy...Steve Pinizzotto perhaps to make his NHL debut tonight near his hometown

and the Caps swapped out Varlamov and Machesney, which I assume was a salary cap move related to calling up an additional player since Machesney has a lower cap hit

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...p?OIDTeam=8365

Old
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Foy

a-ha! So sneaky.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
txpd

There might be salary cap benefit to the Varlamov move, but it also makes more sense only to have Varlamov in Washington when he is likely to play. He will be much better prepared for a NHL game by playing in the AHL rather than sitting on the bench as the backup.

Because the Caps have 3 AHL goalies, its a good use of staff to bring up a player not scheduled to play in Hershey to sit backup in Washington.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That's unexpected. Pinner is relatively expensive, although I guess at this point any extra cap space from using somebody cheaper might have been useless. It's just that they could have brought up Mink, for example (assuming they can justify it as emergency), or Gordon, or Aucoin, or Giroux. I guess they're actually interested in Pinner specifically, maybe to help them make a decision on his future.

Old
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
There might be salary cap benefit to the Varlamov move, but it also makes more sense only to have Varlamov in Washington when he is likely to play. He will be much better prepared for a NHL game by playing in the AHL rather than sitting on the bench as the backup.

Because the Caps have 3 AHL goalies, its a good use of staff to bring up a player not scheduled to play in Hershey to sit backup in Washington.
Hershey does play Wed. night. It is possible they plan to have Varlamov start for Hershey tomorrow night. Still, if they were simply swapping out guys like that, my guess would have been they would simply swap out Neuvirth and Varlamov. FWIW, I do believe there is a salary cap aspect to this move given Machesney's lower cap hit.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Boyd Gordon being out for 2-3 weeks does not bode well for our mission. We have no right handed centers unless we can LTIR someone and callup Aucoin. I hope Gordon gets better before the playoffs start as Bruce likes to have right left faceoff guys. I wonder how much his absence will hurt (or who knows maybe help) our feeble PK.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
sk84fun_dc

oh, and please don't post this on any blog or comments to a blog elsewhere, I am a bit amused this hasn't been posted elsewhere yet since the players are listed on NHLPA as on the NHL roster as of sometime this morning

Old
03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
oh, and please don't post this on any blog or comments to a blog elsewhere, I am a bit amused this hasn't been posted elsewhere yet
You should put a watermark on your post and title it "Sk84fun Exclusive"

Old
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You should put a watermark on your post and title it "Sk84fun Exclusive"
but not my style

All it takes is looking at the NHLPA roster posted on the internet to see the roster moves. No need to wait for practice to start

Old
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Foy

Quote:
oh, and please don't post this on any blog or comments to a blog elsewhere, I am a bit amused this hasn't been posted elsewhere yet since the players are listed on NHLPA as on the NHL roster as of sometime this morning
Well, Tarik posted the news at 10:51.

Old
03-24-2009, 10:11 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Well, Tarik posted the news at 10:51.
I saw it a few minutes ago over there. I can tell you before I posted here, I checked the blogs and it was not on any of them.

Closed Thread