HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009 I

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
It's certainly one of the softest! Nylander and flash won't go anywhere near contact. Kozlov can take a hit and hold off guys because of his size, but he isn't going to initiate anything.

The butter line.
As long as they are getting 3rd line minutes...it should work out nicely.

Getting Laich and Fehr more ice time is a good thing...hopefully Feds can handle the extra work load as well.

I like the changes...as long as they give them some games to work out any kinks. Only trying this for a game or two will tick me off.

Old
03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Petrecki signed yesterday and that makes me a bit upset. Can someone confirm that I have this correct:

We traded the 28th pick to SJ for a 2nd in 2007 and a 2nd in 2008. We then traded SJ's 2007 2nd to Philly for a 2007 3rd and 2008 2nd. The 2007 3rd rounder from Philly became Phil De Simone. The 2008 pick from SJ turned into Mestery, and the 2007 2nd from Philly became Kugryshev.

Is that the full story?

Old
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
txpd

I would be terribly surprised if Boudreau had any sort of thought of using these lines on a more permanant basis. He moves Backstrom off Ovechkin's line as a way to recharge or refocus a player or players involved in the changes.

Fedorov has 3 goals '09. Fehr has one meaningless point in in March and two goals since his 4 game goal streak.

My take is Backstrom was demoted as punishment and to refocus his game. Fehr is moved up to see if his 4 game goal streak was a freak thing.

Kozlov has been moved to Nylander to force him to shoot the puck and create some offense. Fehr and Fleischmann were split in order give them both a chance to start over.

When the games count, I would be shocked to find the Caps put their best package of forwards together on a line without Alexander Ovechkin.

Old
03-26-2009, 04:14 PM
sk84fun_dc

Without looking it up that sounds correct...except that I think you meant to type 2008 at the end there as it related to the Kugryshev pick...the Caps ended up with Mestery, Kugyrshev and DeSimone from picks acquired starting with that 1st rounder in '07 that was traded to the Sharks that the Sharks used to select Petrecki.

Of course it starts before then, i.e., where the pick came from, wasn't that the Buffalo first rounder (plus Novotny) that came back in the Zubrus and Helbling trade.

Not looking at other draft day deals and deals involving picks, plenty of positives, IMO, I understand your point to an extent as I was surprised that day they passed on Petrecki in the context that the Sharks used that pick to select him. I can't say I have seen Petrecki enough to be upset, maybe I will be if I see him play more, it's not like the Caps are empty-handed from that trade or in terms of dmen, and it is a bit early. Weren't there questions about his decision-making, etc., even back at the draft? They did pick Alzner earlier in that round, and yes, I know he isn't a hitter like Petrecki is known for. They appeared to have Godfrey targeted and felt they could get him a few picks later, which they did. And then Ruth later in that round. I am still surprised the Caps didn't package some '08 picks to move up after acquiring them.

Old
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Right. The second in '07 that was acquired from SJ and then dealt to Philly was used by the Flyers to select defenseman Kevin Marshall. Another physical defenseman along with decent two-way ability and size.

The Caps did move up a couple of spots to take Gustafsson last summer, packaging their first and second to NJ (who later traded down once again). I could see them moving up again this summer if there's a clear target in mind. They do seem to hone in on certain players early.

If memory serves, they were high on the '08 draft's depth at the time they made those moves. The grass isn't always greener, though. More quantity allows for more shots to get it right but at some point you're just not going to have spots to develop everyone.

Old
03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Wasn't the beef on Petrecki was that he was an idiot?

(More PC version of that statement would be "Didn't he lack hockey sense?")

From what I had read and saw of him at the time....I know I was on board with the Caps picking him at that spot since it was an obvious organizational need.

Hindsight....

Old
03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Petrecki signed yesterday and that makes me a bit upset. Can someone confirm that I have this correct:

We traded the 28th pick to SJ for a 2nd in 2007 and a 2nd in 2008. We then traded SJ's 2007 2nd to Philly for a 2007 3rd and 2008 2nd. The 2007 3rd rounder from Philly became Phil De Simone. The 2008 pick from SJ turned into Mestery, and the 2007 2nd from Philly became Kugryshev.

Is that the full story?
Still annoyed at not getting him...

Old
03-26-2009, 04:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I would be terribly surprised if Boudreau had any sort of thought of using these lines on a more permanant basis. He moves Backstrom off Ovechkin's line as a way to recharge or refocus a player or players involved in the changes.

Fedorov has 3 goals '09. Fehr has one meaningless point in in March and two goals since his 4 game goal streak.

My take is Backstrom was demoted as punishment and to refocus his game. Fehr is moved up to see if his 4 game goal streak was a freak thing.

Kozlov has been moved to Nylander to force him to shoot the puck and create some offense. Fehr and Fleischmann were split in order give them both a chance to start over.

When the games count, I would be shocked to find the Caps put their best package of forwards together on a line without Alexander Ovechkin.

Pretty fair analysis...

Old
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

From what I had read and saw of him at the time....I know I was on board with the Caps picking him at that spot since it was an obvious organizational need.

Hindsight....
Yeah, his hockey sense is a question mark. And it makes plenty of sense that the Caps would pass there because hockey sense seems to be a high priority for Mahoney and McPhee.

That said, a physical defenseman who can skate is very rare, and I would've rolled the dice.

Old
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Hindsight....
Come on...dude scored a 12 on the Wonderlic! (Kidding of course)

Old
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I like the idea of Erskine at forward. With Brash out we need Erskine playing.

I love how Bruce went off on the media.

Old
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

Hindsight....
Well, our memories are all similar on this one about the draft and the questions about Petrecki; that in its own right is scary

Old
03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
erskine up front sounds like the big donald what was it his knee is still ailing him. Why did we decide to disclose he had a knee anyways?

Old
03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
erskine up front sounds like the big donald what was it his knee is still ailing him. Why did we decide to disclose he had a knee anyways?
It was rather obvious the way he fell after getting TKO'd.

Old
03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Erskine up front seems like a clever way of Bruce dressing 7 D since Erskine is most likely one to answer any calls, though if it's not Erskine it is still likely a D, so its good to not have to worry about losing too many to the box and having to play with 3-4.

Old
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think it also serves the purpose of giving a bit of a heads up for next season.

Plus, lets be honest, I think the Caps do need to at least ice a guy who can throw on Friday. While I don't think much will come of it, if someone touches a hair on Ovechkin's head, or any other talented player, someone has to lay down the law and lay it down fast.

Old
03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Mothra

cant help but notice I dont see Fleischmann being referred to as a 25-30 goal scorer much these days

Old
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Oh ok thanks, i actually didnt notice that even though i saw the fight. I was stunned he got TKO'd. It was an ugly night for caps fight fans thats for sure.

It was speculated that Erskine when inked would be moved to forward next year and certainly this will fuel the fire. Other related thoughts.... I thought we should have given Eminger some games at RW last year. Scott Stevens took a turn at center for one shift and promptly got into a fight with Schofield. Murray ended that experiment. D always joke its easy to move up and I dont doubt them. But just when Erskine seems to be playing his best D means this about Brash IMO. We are very deep at LD though.

Old
03-26-2009, 08:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
cant help but notice I dont see Fleischmann being referred to as a 25-30 goal scorer much these days
No? I wonder why? Could it be because what seemed very possible at one point and a breakout season for the guy got derailed at somepoint and that 25 goals isn't realistic?

Whats your point? I think a handful of previous Flash support as a 25-30 goal scorer has eroded, I think much of it remains as most Fehr as a 25-30 goal scorer remains strong.

Old
03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
He was. Until he got pneumonia.

Old
03-27-2009, 07:20 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Don't know how the rest of you feel, but it seems that The Donald's future with the club may be starting to get a little murky. Didn't he sign his perennial 1yr conny about this time last year?

I sincerely hope that he has another productive year left in him, but an enforcer with a "known" wonky knee seems a pretty exploitable thing. Heavy slower, older does not bode well for knee surgery at Brash's stage of the game either.

Hopefully he's just resting for the playoffs.

Looking forward to see if Erskie skates out tonight.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Aucoin & Osala re-called. Brashear and/or Gordon must have been moved to LTIR I guess.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Aucoin & Osala re-called. Brashear and/or Gordon must have been moved to LTIR I guess.
If they didn't make a goalie swap, too, sure sounds like it.
Leone's update on Laing

Osala has been playing well in Hershey (including the GWG Wed. night.)

Old
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
frasnap

Good time for Osala to get a taste.

Old
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post