Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Salmela had a terrific OT. I can see why Devils fans liked him, he doesn't do anything in half measures. He did some crazy things out there, that never quite worked out for us...but didn't quite lead to goals against us.
agree 100% he looked amazing especially on that backhand attempt i thought he would score there..

wow great comeback.. i said it before the 3rd period started "I believe they will come back. This team never gives up anymore"

great finish especially Lehtonen he made some huge saves in the 3rd and OT

Old
03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
SniperWild

Send a message via Yahoo to SniperWild

Now let's not jinx it

Old
03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Ha ha, Sterling proved me wrong.

What a good call by Anderson there.

What a win
Yup - coach with the win here.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I hope Slater is alright.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:56 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Definitely -- I hope Slater is alright. We really missed him on the PK, though Stuart and Reasoner filled in nicely for him, considering the absence of Perrin and Slater.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
fatschoonerrat

I think we've found our replacement for Christensen. Connoley should get a game for that elbow. But he won't.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

Quote:
1. OK, good on the rush but not so good elsewhere.

2. Tim Connolly hit Slater in the head with an elbow, he has been out of the game ever since.
I saw a glimpse of that in the OT...I see the skillset is definitely there. Hopefully they can work on his D

Sucks about Slater--- hope he bounces back Monday.

___

Man, Buffalo fans must be pissed.

What a finish

Suprised Kozlov didn't do his usual move.. no longer 100% this season in shootouts. Good to see Sterling get a chance and make the most of it...

Lethonen made some huge saves in the closing few minutes of the 3rd period, that was great.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:01 PM
fatschoonerrat

I liked Sammy tonight.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
cws
...in the drink

What killed me was all the booing I heard. If it was just fans being fans, booing when something goes against their team (right or wrong); that's cool. I have no problem with that, there's a good reason why they're called fans; just shortened from fanatic.

But if their booing because they actually believed the plays should have been called the other way: like Reasoner's goal or the Connolly penalty (which he got lucky by not being given a major for that). Well, the only word that comes to mind is ********.

Hell, I'm a homer when it comes to the Thrashers (we all are really). But at least I'm honest about the outcome of plays, even if I hate what happened. Booing just seems like sour grapes, don't do it myself and don't see the reason for it. But to each his/her own I guess, even if it makes little or no sense.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
What killed me was all the booing I heard. If it was just fans being fans, booing when something goes against their team (right or wrong); that's cool. I have no problem with that, there's a good reason why they're called fans; just shortened from fanatic.

But if their booing because they actually believed the plays should have been called the other way: like Reasoner's goal or the Connolly penalty (which he got lucky by not being given a major for that). Well, the only word that comes to mind is ********.

Hell, I'm a homer when it comes to the Thrashers (we all are really). But at least I'm honest about the outcome of plays, even if I hate what happened. Booing just seems like sour grapes, don't do it myself and don't see the reason for it. But to each his/her own I guess, even if it makes little or no sense.
They're Buffalo fans. What do you expect?

Old
03-14-2009, 09:18 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
What got me about the shootout is that Peverley did almost the same move and went to the same area as Kozlov did, knowing Lalime made the save once before. And really, Kozlov followed Little's lead. It didn't make any sense.

Sterling was smart, as he went the opposite way and tricked Lalime, making him think he was going low, then lifting it high. Good goal for Sterling.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Enstrom has been playing terrific hockey lately.

Old
03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
They're Buffalo fans. What do you expect?
I'm not big on labeling a fan base like that, not fair to all the good fans just because some are a-holes. Every team everywhere has a mix of both.

But then again, I'm human; prone to some un-rational generalizations (especially in the name of fandom). Probably a bit sour from when I went to a Sabres-Thrashers game a few years back, and most of the Sabres fans there were horribly obnoxious. And even that is being very kind. Couldn't even blame that one on youth, all of those guys were at least in their 30s (some likely in their 40s). Usually I don't give a crap if other fans are a bit mouthy, kinda adds a little spice when you go to a game. But this was really over the top.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

I didn't realize the Sabres were such a dirty--err gritty-- team.

I for one absolutely loved it when Perrin flattened Connolly. He deserved far worse, and hopefully he'll get it from the NHL.

Truthfully, the Thrashers are a team playing for themselves right now, and playing for pride. Winning the game is not the only way to have pride. Standing up to goonery like Connolly's elbow to Slater's head is another way to have pride for yourselves. Perrin did that, and if it had cost us the game, I would still have loved it.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Georgia Dawg

Just watched the game (I babysat my brothers kids). Wow! To comeback like that without our best player, on the road, is just awesome.

Keep it going. We have 2 back to backs next week.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangethrasher View Post
I didn't realize the Sabres were such a dirty--err gritty-- team.

I for one absolutely loved it when Perrin flattened Connolly. He deserved far worse, and hopefully he'll get it from the NHL.

Truthfully, the Thrashers are a team playing for themselves right now, and playing for pride. Winning the game is not the only way to have pride. Standing up to goonery like Connolly's elbow to Slater's head is another way to have pride for yourselves. Perrin did that, and if it had cost us the game, I would still have loved it.
Oh, for the love of... Slater was the one who took a run at Connolly!

Connolly looked up and saw him coming at the last second, and put his arm up to protect his head (which is pretty darn understandable for a guy with a multiple concussion history), and Slater skated at full speed into Connolly's arm.

Yeah, Connolly's not supposed to get his arms up, and he got the two minutes he deserved. But "goonery"? On a play that consisted of Connolly trying to protect himself from a hit? Get real.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
But "goonery"? On a play that consisted of Connolly trying to protect himself from a hit? Get real.
This is hockey, and Slater was about to put a clean hit on him.

You can't just throw an elbow in someone's face because you don't want to take a hit. It was a clear intent to injure, and should have gotten him 5 minutes and a game misconduct. Hopefully he hears from the league about that hit on Monday.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

Quote:
Oh, for the love of... Slater was the one who took a run at Connolly!

Connolly looked up and saw him coming at the last second, and put his arm up to protect his head (which is pretty darn understandable for a guy with a multiple concussion history), and Slater skated at full speed into Connolly's arm.

Yeah, Connolly's not supposed to get his arms up, and he got the two minutes he deserved. But "goonery"? On a play that consisted of Connolly trying to protect himself from a hit? Get real.
Yeah, you're right. Slater could have really hurt Connolly's elbow with his head. I expect to see the NHL suspend Slater, once he recovers from his concussion.

Connolly is absolutely not supposed to throw an elbow at a guy's head. Period.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
MayDay

Quote:
It was a clear intent to injure
Disagree. To me it looked like a clear intent to protect his (oft-concussed) head from an oncoming collision.

Yeah, he's not supposed to get his elbows up, and yeah it's a penalty. Two minutes, which he deserved.

But "goonery"? Misconducts? Suspensions? Are you guys serious?

It was split-second instinctive reaction. See hit coming, protect head. There was no time to pre-meditate any intent to injure.

Aside from which, Connolly isn't a dirty player, and hasn't been his whole career.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Koval17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
c'mon. Sterling blows. he's an AHL player and thats all he will ever be.

Call up someone else.

My prediction: We win 4-1. Lehtonen goalies and makes like 30 saves. Little with 1, Peverley with 2, Slater with 1.

Slater has been playing very good as of late. He has always been a great 4th liner. He might be the best 4th liner in the NHL he is the type of player that can get you 10+ goals on the 4th line.
shoot out winner brett sterling man what a good game, people were chirping me when they scored 3 in a row, man i couldnt help it when they won, i thought i was gonna get knocked out lol, i just noticed how bad colby armstrong is, hes so lazy and weak on the puck, awesome nite though!!!

Old
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Slater skated at full speed into Connolly's arm.
I'm going to laugh if this excuse is used by Pronger (for example) from now on. "No, it's not my fault, HE skated into ME!" Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

Quote:
I disagree that it's "goonery" -- it's a natural reaction that you, I, or anyone else would have done in a situation like that. But to say he deserved only two minutes is lacking in objectivity. Pronger has been suspended for that, and less. I won't go so far as to say I expect a suspension, but I will say Connolly deserved at least five minutes.

Old
03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Koval17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

you shoulda heard guys behind me, WTF thats a penalty, wtfs that ****,, goalie interference, etc etc

Old
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Georgia Dawg

I see a lot of opinions on the Slater hit. I do not think it was with an intent to injure. Slater was going for a hit, and an elbow came up. 2 minutes. Nothing more. I hate it for Slater, but I have seen a lot worse elbows then the one he received. Connolly probably made a reactive move to protect himself. It was wrong, but he was not trying to injure.

I like how Perrin responded at the start of the third. That is why this team is winning. Standing up for each other.

Old
03-14-2009, 11:12 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
I like how Perrin responded at the start of the third. That is why this team is winning. Standing up for each other.
It was nice to see, but would have been much nicer had the response been immediate instead of delayed. Still, sticking up for each other is indeed one reason why this team has made such a startling recovery since the beginning of the year.

Old
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Don't get too used to winning, folks. We've got a 5 game winning streak. We all know what happens now.

Also, Perrin has played like a madman since being waived. THIS is the Perrin I remember from last year.

Closed Thread