HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Is it time for Doan to go?

Old
03-13-2009, 11:23 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Is it time for Doan to go?

Plain and simple, is it time we ask the captain to waive his NTC and move him to a more competitive team, give him the chance to spill his sweat and blood finally in the playoffs, when it counts for something?

The flip side of it is this, we have never flourished under Doan. The one season where we were good, 2002-03, he was only a seconday player to the like of Langkow, Nagy, and Johnson. We have played him with probably more than 50 different players (most recently with Olli Jokinen) and he has never really succeeded with anyone.

I don't blame Doan, i love Doan, i think he's a great player. great human and all that. But, we owe it to him to offer him a chance to play for a cup, and finally, truly overhaul this team by trading the last historical piece.

The last thing i want to see, is Turris or Mueller languishing and having their development stunted with him on their side like so many have before them.

He has been getting 20min/game since as far back as i can remember and i'm sorry but this team is just not winning with him - he is not what Iginla is for the Flames or even a Nash is for the Blue Jackets. He simply cannot carry the team on his back single-handedly and we're having a difficult time trying to blend him with other players. He will always score his 20-30-50, but he will also always be a detriment to his linemates.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:01 AM
MP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
he is not what Iginla is for the Flames or even a Nash is for the Blue Jackets. He simply cannot carry the team on his back single-handedly and we're having a difficult time trying to blend him with other players. He will always score his 20-30-50, but he will also always be a detriment to his linemates.
Oh, please. He's not a future Hall of Famer, ergo he's holding this team back? Do I have this right?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Oh, please. He's not a future Hall of Famer, ergo he's holding this team back? Do I have this right?
No, he's a guy that we've been building our team around and we've sucked. We surrounded him with more than 50 players during his time, he cant find success with anyone and the team can't win. Could it be conceivable that the source may be the problem?

Old
03-14-2009, 12:43 AM
MP

Quote:
No, he's a guy that we've been building our team around and we've sucked.
This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest that the team was intentionally built with Doan as the centerpiece.

Quote:
We surrounded him with more than 50 players during his time, he cant find success with anyone and the team can't win. Could it be conceivable that the source may be the problem?
It doesn't matter how many linemates he's had: if they're mediocre players, mediocrity will be the result. Looking at the current roster, there aren't any legitimate, no-questions-asked, top-line centers to play with him. Rhino is a good second-line guy. Turris isn't ready for that kind of responsibility and expectation yet. Porter is in the AHL. Hanzal is good, but not top-line good, and anyway he has other responsibilities right now. Mueller didn't work out in the NHL as a center, period. Jokinen seems overrated in hindsight and didn't really fit in anywhere on this team, which isn't necessarily Doan's fault.

Doan is very good. I suspect he could score 40, in a good system and with the right linemates. But you're right--he's not Joe Thornton or Alex Ovechkin; he can't carry an offense by himself. However, I think you're the only one who seems to be expecting it from him.

Old
03-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Jake16

It is a ridiculous idea to trade Doan. If and when Doan is ready to go he will tell Maloney and the team will accomodate him. Until then lets be damn happy we have one boda fide top line player and a hell of a captain and role model for the kids coming up. Absent Doan, who's the leader - Rhino? Doan ain't going anywhere.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:09 AM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Can we please take away the ability of the unnamed poster to create threads?

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't be against trading Doan, but they'd have to get the kind of return that would justify making the deal. It couldn't be along the lines of any of the previous trades that they've made, it'd have to be quality draft picks and players. The Coyotes would need to be better off after the trade, and that is just not that common in trades anymore.

I must agree with WJF's point that Doan has been the centerpiece thus far, and the team has not been successful. I don't think you blame Doan in this instance, but instead management for building around the wrong guy. The Coyotes have built around Doan because they had no one else better to do so. Doan has always been a larger fish in a small bowl, but he would do great as a complimentary player on another team. It's really the same situation that many of us said of Jokinen, he's not the player that makes everything happen, but if you have another guy like Iginla on the team, he can help you win.

Another point about Doan and his style is that he is not the type of player that makes his linemates better. Not everyone can be a Lemieux, Gretzky or even Forsberg, but there are lesser players who make those around them better and Doan is not one of those players. That is why the Doan & Jokinen experiment failed, they are both supporting players.

Before trading Doan the Coyotes would need someone to take his place as the face of the franchise. Thus far, I don't see any of the kids that deserve that honor. That's why the Coyotes would need that type of trade to return assets that they could build the team around. If they could get a Tavares at the draft, or whatever they end up, someone who can be the focus for their marketing and a draw to sell tickets and merchandise.

Finally, trading Doan to a contender would be a very respectful thing to do to a veteran player who has been nicely paid, possibly underpaid as the focal point of your franchise. Taking the pressure off him to be everything to the team might be a welcome benefit, and enjoying hockey might revitalize his career to play better than he ever has.

I'm not good at making trade proposals, and I typically hate 95% of the ones I see on these boards, but I think it stands to reason that proposals would fit in this thread. I would like to see something like:

-A good 1st round pick, top 10 quality
-A great young prospect, someone recently picked in the top 10 or showing great potential
-A good top 6 forward or top 3 defenseman, under the age of UFA.
-Via trade or draft a new face of the franchise

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 09:55 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
I must agree with WJF's point that Doan has been the centerpiece thus far, and the team has not been successful.
I still don't understand where this is coming from. Precisely how, both in terms of acquiring players and the focus of the offensive system devised by the coaching staff, has this team been built around Doan?

Old
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
skr0oface

Yup get rid of him. The proof is in the pudding and this team hasn't been to the playoffs or even close with Doan wearing the C. Whats that like 7 years.

skr0oface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
hbk

I wrote a couple of comments regarding this topic a couple of weeks back.

It's not a comment against Doan. In fact, I respect the guy so much that I want him to succeed despite the negative implications this will have towards the franchise.

I want to see Shane Doan enjoy personal and team success in the NHL. By the time this franchise is in a position to really compete at an elite level, Shane Doan will be long past his prime.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
ducky

I could see Doan considering asking for a trade this summer. He has been 100% faithful to this organization. He could want a change. Pure speculation of course.

I do not see him wanting to go many places, however. Edmonton? Calgary?

He is a small town guy. I do not see him wanting to go to a big market.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 11:30 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Simple answer, No.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:00 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Simple answer, No.
ditto, if he wants to be traded b/c he is tired of the ineptitude of the franchise, then I would honor his wishes. But if you go to any team event where players are signing autographs. Doans line is always the longest. He is a class act and always takes the time with each fan. He is having a wonderful season, dispite the carousel of line mates. I HART DOAN

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Shane Doan a "detriment" to his linemates? Now I've heard it all. Stop attempting to follow hockey. You are failing miserably.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:02 PM
CitizenCoyote

Idiotic.

This franchise loses in spite of Shane Doan. Not because of him.

If he decides he wants to play for a franchise that gives him a better chance to show what he can do and to have a chance at the playoffs, I would regretably support it. He's done his time. He's earned it. But it would mean that the only thing that makes this franchise worthwhile would have gone.

I would hate to see it happen. But at least it would make it easier for me to pick a new favorite team if the Coyotes do ever leave the valley. Heck, I'd root for the Ducks if Shane were a Duck.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:05 PM
omnimutant

Anyone who thinks Doan is a Burden to this team needs to wake up and smell the ice. He does deserve to be traded any where he wants when he's ready, but when and if it happens, it would be the worst thing to ever happen to this club. He's one of the most underrated forwards int he NHL. Mainly because he's never been paired with another top line forward that was worth a damn. Sorry Ollie proved that he wasn't worth it with his, work ethic. Last time Doan ever Got to Play with any Real Talent, was when Nolan was on the team and he was coming off two years of not playing(and already past his prime). Before then it was JR and KT, and Doan was not looked at as the type of guy he is today.

There is a reason he's been the Captain of Team Canada More then Once, and been to the all stars a few times and done well in both situations.

All of that Said I'd be really shocked if Doan ever asked to be moved. Thats just the kind of guy he is. He's gonna probably stay here till the end of his career, and he'll retire with his name proudly displayed on our Rafters.

Give Doan some REAL talent to play with(something he's never had here) and He's easily gonna break 40-50 goals, and about 100 Points.

Trade Doan... hahaha you guys are smoking crack.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Jakeman

I think Doan has been caught in the middle of a few bad ownership & G.M decisions where some of the talent he worked well with him(Briere), Johnson,Roenick(In his first go around) were moved. Doan is a great captain and hockey player and I hope he stays, that being said it wouldn't surprise me after this season to quietly ask to be traded to a playoff contender. He isn't getting any younger and hasn't seen the post season in 7 years.
I want to make myself clear, Doan isn't the reason this team is losing and certainly isn't a detriment to this hockey club, he has given this team alot of great service

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:12 PM
AzYotes18

Too all of you who say Doan is damaging to the team...YOUR ALL FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!!!!!

Have you ever met him? He keeps this franchise together, because of his people skills on and off the ice, he helps the franchise put butt's in seats....He alone cannot carry a team. Who wants any player to carry an entire hockey team? Thats boring, I want an entire team that just plain scary to other NHL teams.

Doan and his family love Phoenix, he has said it numerous times. He just signed his current 5 yr contract, what 2 years ago?
He isn't ready to go anywhere.

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
Anyone who thinks Doan is a Burden to this team needs to wake up and smell the ice. He does deserve to be traded any where he wants when he's ready, but when and if it happens, it would be the worst thing to ever happen to this club. He's one of the most underrated forwards int he NHL. Mainly because he's never been paired with another top line forward that was worth a damn. Sorry Ollie proved that he wasn't worth it with his, work ethic. Last time Doan ever Got to Play with any Real Talent, was when Nolan was on the team and he was coming off two years of not playing(and already past his prime). Before then it was JR and KT, and Doan was not looked at as the type of guy he is today.

There is a reason he's been the Captain of Team Canada More then Once, and been to the all stars a few times and done well in both situations.

All of that Said I'd be really shocked if Doan ever asked to be moved. Thats just the kind of guy he is. He's gonna probably stay here till the end of his career, and he'll retire with his name proudly displayed on our Rafters.

Give Doan some REAL talent to play with(something he's never had here) and He's easily gonna break 40-50 goals, and about 100 Points.
Trade Doan... hahaha you guys are smoking crack.
How many times have we heard this over the last 7 years???
he's had many linemates, granted, non of them have been joe thornton, but Iginla is a similar player that produces those numbers with the likes of craig conroy and matt lombardi. This is the difference between doan and iginla - iggy is the kind of player you build your team around, doan is a good supporting cast player - not a frontline, 20min/game guy.

Don't get me wrong, i have a man crush on him as a person.

Old
03-14-2009, 02:37 PM
WJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Shane Doan a "detriment" to his linemates? Now I've heard it all. Stop attempting to follow hockey. You are failing miserably.
Can you name 1 player that has flourished with Doan on his line? Just 1 player?

In all his years here, how many of his linemates have scored more than 60pts? Briere? Maybe, but why was he traded off then? Cause he sucked the next season.

Amonte, Jokinen, Nagy, Reinprecht, Johnson, Mueller, Nedved, and now, upshall, lombardi, prucha, turris, etc. etc.

And the funny thing is, he's developed into a pretty darn good passer over the years.

Old
03-14-2009, 02:39 PM
MP

Quote:
but Iginla is a similar player that produces those numbers with the likes of craig conroy and matt lombardi.
If Doan were Iginla, he would be playing in Calgary, wearing number 12, and answering to "Jarome." They are both power forwards, but Doan's value to this team should not be discussed in terms of Iginla's value to Calgary.
Quote:
is the difference between doan and iginla - iggy is the kind of player you build your team around, doan is a good supporting cast player - not a frontline, 20min/game guy.
So because he's not a player of Iginla's caliber, he shouldn't play on the first line?

And why has no one explained to me exactly how this team has been "built around" Shane Doan?

Old
03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
MP

Quote:
Amonte, Jokinen, Nagy, Reinprecht, Johnson, Mueller, Nedved, and now, upshall, lombardi, prucha, turris, etc. etc.
You think any of those players are/were top-line talents in the time that they were here? You're holding Doan responsible for Petr frigging Nedved's injury-riddled season here? For Nagy's transformation into an irrelevant perimeter player? For Johnson never amounting to much after one season half a decade ago? For Mueller being less-than-stellar at center in the NHL, with any line combination? For Turris being too small to be effective at this point in his career? Are you serious?

Old
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Fans of this franchise should be begging Shane to retire here, not trying to find ways to get him out of here.

At any rate, I think it'd be kind of hard to get a satisfactory syncopation for an in-game chant of "Waive your No-Movement clause, Shane Doan!" ...

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 03:37 PM
DesertDawg

IMHO we need more players like Doan. He wears his heart on his shoulder...

this team lacks power forwards and you want to get rid of one of the best???
his contract makes him a bargain for the franchise! He does need the right type of linesmate to be around and btw he does pretty good during the Olympics with some talent around him...

a better question would be who do you think would be a good linesmate for him that the Coyotes can try to get during the off season...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
howlinpuckhead2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzYotes18 View Post
Too all of you who say Doan is damaging to the team...YOUR ALL FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!!!!!

Have you ever met him? He keeps this franchise together, because of his people skills on and off the ice, he helps the franchise put butt's in seats....He alone cannot carry a team. Who wants any player to carry an entire hockey team? Thats boring, I want an entire team that just plain scary to other NHL teams.

Doan and his family love Phoenix, he has said it numerous times. He just signed his current 5 yr contract, what 2 years ago?
He isn't ready to go anywhere.

Amen to that my hockey friend! I haven't met the guy yet but I sure as heck would be so lucky to! Not only have I read and seen so many good things about him (on tv)... nothing I didn't like... He's such an awesome player and I'm proud to wear his name and number on my jersey! I wear that thing even if there isn't a game! i love it! I love team and i Love Doaner!!!!!!!! Doan's not going anywhere!!!

howlinpuckhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote