HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time for Doan to go?

Old
03-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
Fellas,

Doan is putting up 60 pts in TGO scheme (ha ha pseudo system), so what do you think he'd put up in an actual bona fide NHL offensive system. The guy is a monster and would put up 90 pts easy!

He plays the game the way it was meant to be played, and is showing the kids that. He is Iginla without the talent around him.

all you guys wanting to get rid of him or question his value to the team need to look for a new team to root for...geeesh

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
How many times have we heard this over the last 7 years???
he's had many linemates, granted, non of them have been joe thornton, but Iginla is a similar player that produces those numbers with the likes of craig conroy and matt lombardi. This is the difference between doan and iginla - iggy is the kind of player you build your team around, doan is a good supporting cast player - not a frontline, 20min/game guy.

Can you name 1 player that has flourished with Doan on his line? Just 1 player?

In all his years here, how many of his linemates have scored more than 60pts? Briere? Maybe, but why was he traded off then? Cause he sucked the next season.

Amonte, Jokinen, Nagy, Reinprecht, Johnson, Mueller, Nedved, and now, upshall, lombardi, prucha, turris, etc. etc.

And the funny thing is, he's developed into a pretty darn good passer over the years.
I agree, that's why I made the point earlier (or intended to) that Doan is not a player that makes others around him better. Briere & Doan didn't have much success with each other if I recall correctly. There was the Homer Line that carried the team into the playoffs that year, and I don't recall where Doan played because there was nothing solid.

Iginla is the type of player you build around because he's the type of player that can single handed carry a team AND he is the type of player that can make those around him better.

None of my comments are a slight against Doan, I have always been a fan of his, but I think in some terms he is extremely overrated. Doan would be a better player if he was the second or third best player on his team than being the best player on his team. I don't consider Doan a true Franchise player, even though he is currently OUR franchise player. That gets into semantics of how you define something though, so that's a never ending argument.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:26 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Until then lets be damn happy we have one boda fide top line player and a hell of a captain and role model for the kids coming up.
This x10000000000000000000000000

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 472
Not to mention he'll be the first (and probably last for a long while) Coyote to have his maroon jersey retired when he hangs up the skates...

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:10 AM
jmichael7753

Shane Doan is what made the jets/coyotes. He will retire a Coyotes and will never play in another NHL teams uniform. He is going to be the only number 19 in coyotes history.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:59 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Shane Doan is what made the jets/coyotes. He will retire a Coyotes and will never play in another NHL teams uniform. He is going to be the only number 19 in coyotes history.
I could have said that about 27.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 07:31 AM
omnimutant

Quote:
Amen

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 02:42 PM
LT

I am embarrassed that someone would even suggest this.

I guess everyone has an opinion but to actually believe that Shane is the problem here, frankly that's a joke!

Lets move on and not waste anymore time discussing this.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Not to mention he'll be the first (and probably last for a long while) Coyote to have his maroon jersey retired when he hangs up the skates...
Teppo never wore the red? right?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
We SHOULD have said that about Repo Man.

In my heart that is one of the worst trades in fanchise history.

ducky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
We SHOULD have said that about Repo Man.

In my heart that is one of the worst trades in fanchise history.
Are you kidding me? The magnitude of the contribution Mike Sillinger provided this franchise can not be understated.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Teppo's number very well may be up there as well with Doan's. Not a Hall of fame player like Hawerchuk or Hull, but defintely had a career on par with Thomas Steen's.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
omnimutant

I'm sure 27 will hang from the rafters as the First Yotes Jersey up there. Followed by Tchunky(as much as I hate that) and then JR. Probably more for media Hype then anything else on the later two.

IMO only 2 coyote Numbers are worthy of hanging up so far 27, and 19.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
I'm sure 27 will hang from the rafters as the First Yotes Jersey up there. Followed by Tchunky(as much as I hate that) and then JR. Probably more for media Hype then anything else on the later two.

IMO only 2 coyote Numbers are worthy of hanging up so far 27, and 19.
Tkachuk was and is an awesome hockey player. I'm not sure though that his and JR's numbers are going up. No. 7 has a better chance than 97 given his 50 goal seasons.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
He will retire a Coyotes and will never play in another NHL teams uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Teppo's number very well may be up there as well with Doan's.
I was more referring to him finishing his career with the Coyotes. I never thought Teppo would wear another team's jersey either. He has since played for two other NHL teams.

Old
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

This one of the dumbest threads ever.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
knowsthegame

[QUOTE=WJF;18526872]Can you name 1 player that has flourished with Doan on his line? Just 1 player?
/QUOTE]

Doan and Lombardi played well together for Team Canada.
Gretsky kept them together for 2 whole games - wow!!
If Doan goes, we have no marquee player on our team - bonehead move to even consider, although it would be good for Doan.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:42 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
This one of the dumbest threads ever.

I don't doubt Shane on the right team with better players around him would be so much more appreciated than he is here. But I appreciate him. He's not the problem, imo. What is around him is the problem. Surround him with better personnel, and better support, and better management.

It's like a house where the roof is leaking, the wiring has been chewed by rats, it's getting wet, the rain is leaking into the fixtures, and the lights are flickering out.

And the solution is to change the brighter light bulbs...?

I don't think so.

What do other teams do, when things aren't going right, and the owner isn't the head coach?

Of course we seem to be relying on the law of averages that even a blind squirrel can stumble into the playoffs one day.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
The only other COYOTE that will probably get retired by the team is Jeremy Roenick...he was the face of the franchise in the beginning. I could see Tkachuk going up too. But trading Doan is one of the worst moves the franchise could do at this point. They have very few things going for them and trading Doan would take away the best thing about them.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The only other COYOTE that will probably get retired by the team is Jeremy Roenick...
If that happens, I believe I will become physically ill.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
AzYotes18

Quote:
If that happens, I believe I will become physically ill.
I second that emotion...

AzYotes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I'm surprised any Coyote fans would want to see Doan traded. But that actually plays in line with my thought as a Wild fan. What would you realistically, as an internet Yote GM, want in return for a Doan trade to Minnesota? Realistic as in Gaborik(as he is all but gone come July 1st anyway), Koivu, Burns, Backstrom are off the table. Also keep in mind because of our inept now former GM the Wild do not have a 2nd and 3rd round pick in this year's draft. I like seeing loyalty in players staying with one organization throughout their career, but I think #19 would look pretty sharp in a Wild sweater. What do think would be a good trade scenario to make that happen?

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
I'm surprised any Coyote fans would want to see Doan traded.
Somebody didn't actually read the thread.

Every single fan on here nearly puked at the notion. Even the original poster only created the thread because he thought Doan deserved better than to wast his career here.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you are pulling Burns and Koivu off the table, you are going to have a tough time putting together a decent offer for Doan. It's that simple. You had to know that coming in. We aren't going to salavate at the notion of trading him for guys like Gillies, Sheppard, and Pouliot, who all may very well have big upside, but haven't really proven anything as pros. Harding looks like he may be a good one, but we've already got a good young starter signed to a longer term deal. I don't know, I just think we could probably do better elsewhere. Which is irrelevant because Doan isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by rt: 04-22-2009 at 01:14 AM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Somebody didn't actually read the thread.

Every single fan on here nearly puked at the notion. Even the original poster only created the thread because he thought Doan deserved better than to wast his career here.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you are pulling Burns and Koivu off the table, you are going to have a tough time putting together a decent offer for Doan. It's that simple. You had to know that coming in. We aren't going to salavate at the notion of trading him for guys like Gillies, Sheppard, and Pouliot, who all may very well have big upside, but haven't really proven anything as pros. Harding looks like he may be a good one, but we've already got a good young starter signed to a longer term deal. I don't know, I just think we could probably do better elsewhere. Which is irrelevant because Doan isn't going anywhere.
No I read it all. I just pay attention to what suits me.

I am hoping with the latest financial woes of the Coyotes, Maloney and Co. would be anxious to shed some salary off the books.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 02:00 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
No I read it all. I just pay attention to what suits me.

I am hoping with the latest financial woes of the Coyotes, Maloney and Co. would be anxious to shed some salary off the books.
We can't shed salary, we're at the cap floor and most likely not going very far above it. Like RT already said, your going to have to pony up one of those untouchables if you want to pry our team captain out of phoenix on a very good contract. Since Burns is dealing with those concussion problems, you're going to have to start with Koivu.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote