HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mattias Ohlund negotiating rights

Old
03-16-2009, 06:10 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Mattias Ohlund negotiating rights

Curious as to which teams would be most likely to bid on his rights, and what they would possibly offer?

It seems likely that Ohlund's stay in Vancouver is coming to an end. Gillis has resigned Burrows, been in constant talks with the Sedins, but both camps have nothing to say regarding Ohlund's contract or future. He was not asked to waive his NTC at the deadline but I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is his last year here, unless he were to not only take a discount but a pay cut from this year's 3.5mil.

32 years old (will be 33 in Sept)
6'2" 220lbs
322 points in 756 games (0.426ppg)
22 points in 45 playoff games (0.489ppg)

6 seasons of 9+ goals
6 seasons of 30+ points
Even seasons where he has missed significant time to injury, he has never had LESS than 20 points
Injuries include fluke eye accident (57 games over two seasons missed, IIRC?), left knee, and back spasms (<20 games)

Possible comparisons:

Malone and Roberts neg. rights traded for 3rd rounder
Timonen and Hartnell neg. rights traded for 1st rounder
Rolston neg. rights traded for conditional pick in '09 or '10 depending if he was signed (round unavailable)

Curious as to which teams would be most likely to bid on his rights, and what they would possibly offer? 2nd'10 or 3rd'09?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:11 AM
bassassin

I can see Tampa being interested, maybe offering the 3rd in 09 we got from the Panthers in the Eminger trade. I doubt you would get anymore for his negotiating rights, you might not even get that much, maybe a 4th.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:39 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
I can see Tampa being interested, maybe offering the 3rd in 09 we got from the Panthers in the Eminger trade. I doubt you would get anymore for his negotiating rights, you might not even get that much, maybe a 4th.
TB made that mistake last season, can't see them going after him...he'll want too much.

plus he's made it very clear he wants to be a UFA, so if a GM is willing to waste a draft pick for his rights they need to be fired.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
5th rounder at best.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
my guess is a conditional 3rd or 4th in '10, condition being that he signs.

I dont think the negotiating rights market is about to take off anytime soon, but with conditional picks, it could be an option for teams looking to get a head start on July 1st. I doubt they get a '09 pick as the draft would pass before the condition could be nullified.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
TB made that mistake last season, can't see them going after him...he'll want too much.

plus he's made it very clear he wants to be a UFA, so if a GM is willing to waste a draft pick for his rights they need to be fired.
I wouldnt call it a mistake, they got Malone from it, and a mistake in Roberts yeah. Could have worked with Rolston but unfortunately he didnt want to stay as he had to go somewhere he is young kid could have access to hockey teams. Or that was the ******** line he fed to the Tampa media.

It sometimes works out it sometimes doesnt, but Philly can tell you it is worth the risk was it Timonen and Hartnell for a 1st round pick?? Pretty good if you ask me.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

A conditional mid-round pick, maybe.

To warrant a trade for negotiating rights, a GM has to be convinced that this is a player who is going to attract tremendous interest, wild and woolly offers, and go quickly. Ohlund doesn't really look like that kind of player. Bouwmeester, sure.

There are historically from 0-2 conditional rights trades in the early summer. It's not really all that common.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Edler Statesman*

If Ohlund leaves the Canucks, it'll be to test the free agent market and get a big pay day. I can't see his negotiating rights being worth anything more than a late round draft pick (6th?).

Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
ShootIt

Jay Bouwmeester's negotiating rights.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
skg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Now there's an interesting scenario.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:44 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post

I don't know, from what I've put together from local media sources, it seems like Ohlund is the type of guy that would sign before July 1st with a team if they traded for his negotiating rights.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I don't know, from what I've put together from local media sources, it seems like Ohlund is the type of guy that would sign before July 1st with a team if they traded for his negotiating rights.
Agreed. Everyones so convinced Ohlund wants to "test the market" but in reality he said he was excited to do so AFTER it was quite clear he wasn't going to be offered a contract.

If Ohlund had his way he'd stay in Vancouver. Despite him saying he's excited about free agency that's the bottom line, period.

I think if someone traded for his rights and offered him a fair deal, and he found a good fit on the team, he'd take the offer. He's an older player.. He isn't going for the biggest contract I think he's going for the best fit for both him and his family.

Since Vancouver doesn't want to offer him a contract, he'll look elsewhere.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Since Vancouver doesn't want to offer him a contract, he'll look elsewhere.
Agree with your entire post, but to add... I think the scenario is that Ohlund fits this team for next season if he takes a pay-cut (or resigns at this same rate). Our defense is built on strength throughout, not a top-end defenseman, and that's something Gillis would like to acquire (Bouw as an example likely target).

We simply can't afford to give Ohlund any more money than he makes now AND sign a top-end defenseman. Also, this is likely to be Ohlund's last 'major' contract and the Canucks aren't in a position to offer him nearly the length of term that he could get elsewhere.

To stay here Ohlund would have to make a lot of concessions that aren't fair to ask of him, which is why it's probably for the best that he leaves. We'll miss him.

Also, interesting point about trading negotiating rights for the negotiating rights of other players. That sounds like a pretty good idea that I'm surprised we haven't seen more of yet. The rights of Ohlund for Bouw (at the draft) might work out well for both teams.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
A conditional 7th round pick.

Conditions being that he re-signs and that the team who traded for Ohlund wins the Stanley Cup.

In essence, his rights are worth absolutely nothing.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:22 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A conditional 7th round pick.

Conditions being that he re-signs and that the team who traded for Ohlund wins the Stanley Cup.

In essence, his rights are worth absolutely nothing.

You could say that about every pending UFA who is planning on testing the market.

But that didn't stop Philly trading a 1st for Timonen/Hartnell's rights, Malones/Ryders/Sundins/Etc. to other teams for conditional picks.

There is some value in getting an offer in to a UFA before they get several offers for either more term, money, or both.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
galiano

So what will Ohlund likely get if he signs as a UFA ? How many $$ and over how many years ? Is he a $ 5 million D man or what ?

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Iggy4100

late draft pick very dumb thread

Iggy4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy4100 View Post
late draft pick very dumb thread
Thanks for your input!

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
So what will Ohlund likely get if he signs as a UFA ? How many $$ and over how many years ? Is he a $ 5 million D man or what ?
He's worth 5m on the open market. He'll be a good plan B for teams that did not get Bouw. I hope he only signs a 2 year deal wherever he goes so that he can come back to play for Vancouver after getting his payday and retire as a Canuck.

Losing Ohlund is gonna suck so much!

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
mooseOAK*

The Leafs got zilch from Montreal for Sundin's negotiating rights, but maybe that is just Cliff Fletcher being generous again.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Depending on what Florida can get for J-Bo I wouldn't be suprised if they do consider trading J-Bo's rights for Ohlund's rights. Ohlund would be a solid plan B if they can't resign J-Bo and it wouldn't suprise me if Florida were to have interest in him.

With that being said I still do believe that Florida would rather trade J-Bo's rights for any picks or prospects they can get and then take their chance in free agency with what's available.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
I think the Panthers could get more than that for Bouwmeester. If Timmonen and Hartnell got a first, I think JBO could get the same. If the Panthers aren't able to sign Ohlund, then they traded Bouwmeester for nothing.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think the Panthers could get more than that for Bouwmeester. If Timmonen and Hartnell got a first, I think JBO could get the same. If the Panthers aren't able to sign Ohlund, then they traded Bouwmeester for nothing.
As long as Florida doesn't plan on screwing around with Ohlund, a.k.a 5 year offer $2.5 million each, then I'm quite sure Mattias would be more than willing to sign there as he has stated that he wants to make one move only, and not end up like Rory Fiztpatrick.

Bouwmeester's rights for Ohlund's rights seem fair, with conditional picks going both ways contingent on signing.

Oh -- and to whoever posted Timmo + Hartnell, let's not forget those were 2 assets for 1 pick. That's what it looks like to me, anyways.

EDIT: It was Peter who posted that.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Oh -- and to whoever posted Timmo + Hartnell, let's not forget those were 2 assets for 1 pick. That's what it looks like to me, anyways.

EDIT: It was Peter who posted that.
Also the 1st they traded back was Nashville's own first which was moved in that big deadline deal for Forsberg. So while I don't think anything official came out you gotta wonder if there wasn't some sort of handshake agreement in place.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Montreal will give a chicken poutine!!!

It's only Ohlund!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote