HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Wouldn't trade Alyn McCauley Even up for Owen Nolan

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Red Horner*

vCash: 500
Wouldn't trade Alyn McCauley Even up for Owen Nolan

After watching Alyn get a goal and and Assit in leading the Sharks to victory, and Curtis Brown was contributing playing a solid two way game with grit after being obtained for Brad Boyes.

Watched Philly and NJ and Eshe was outstanding but the Philly defence was top notch, the pair of Markov and Malakhov both recent additions are outstanding, along with Zamnov who has really picked up his play under Hitch, the guy who is really playing well is Brashere he just dominates when he's on the ice, his overall play has really improved. Along with Fedoruk and the big defence and the return of Primeau and Roenik on the horizon the Flyers look awsome. I wonder if Sundin and Nieuwendyk were out of our lineup for 6 weeks what would our place in the standings be.

Watching Belak and Domi last night made me ashamed to be a Leaf fan their nothing but low class thugs, who are unfit to wear the Leaf Jersey, every time they where on the Ice they tried to two team Langdon who had fed old Tie his lunch, Belak would confront Langdon and the old washed up self promoting tough guy would sneak up behind him and give him a shove from behind, what a gutless display. We'll see how tough they are on Thurs, Judgement and Message day for the playoffs.

Now that everyone has come down from their high on deadline day everyone is seeing that Francis is 41, can't see him contrubuting much, Leetch is another high risk small puck moving defenceman, Berard has as 41pts to Leetch's 40 in less games could have had him for nothing not two players and draft picks, just looking over some stats of ex Leafs, Sullivan 63pts, Modin 46pts 23 goals, Nolan only has 42 pts, while McCauley has 18 goals and 38pts.

Time to get Kilger in the lineup he's bigger and better than Domi, Reichel,and Belak, and Marchment and Berehowsky if these guys dress in the playoffs we'll get smoked 4 straight.

Roberts Sundin Renberg

Tucker Nieuwendyk Nolan

Poni Antro Mogilny

Kilger Stajan Fitzgerald

McCabe Kaberle

Leetch Johannson

Berg Pilar

The reason I put Renberg their is he's useless with anybody but Mats, if he plays he has to be there or in the press box. You've got to put an impact centre with Nolan so that he's allowed to be as successfull as he can be. Got to break up McCabe and Leetch they do not compliment each other in their own end.

Old
03-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Please go away, you awful old man.

Where are you when the team wins?

Huh? Where?

Old
03-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Transplanted Caper

Kilger does not play like his size. Althought the McCauley for Nolan deal makes for an interesting debate, I think that Nolan means more to the Leafs now then McCauley ever could. Everyone agrees what a stand out guy McCauley is. However, he was never able to really fufill his promise here except in the playoffs a few years back. Now I know there could be reasons for this outisde of Alyn's control such as ice time and concussions, but Nolan has been a good addition to this team. Either way there is no sense dwelling on the past, the team we have now is the team we cheer for and the team that will be in the playoffs. As far as Domi and Belak go, I actually have to agree, well maybe I wont go as far as Red did, but both Belak and especially Tie have been disappointing this year for me. My playoff lines would be as follows. The combonations may be off but they are at lest the group of players I want on the ice,

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Antropov-Neiwy-Ponikarovsky
Stajan-Francis-Nolan
Tucker-Reichel-Fitzgerald

extras - Domi,Renberg,Perrot,Kilger

Leetch-McCabe
Klee-Kaberle
Johansson-Marchment/Berg

extras - Belak, Drake

Last edited by Transplanted Caper: 03-14-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old
03-14-2004, 12:10 PM
McFly

Why the hell do you always try to remind us of the minimal success of former Leafs?! We didn't trade them. We weren't the GM who pulled the trigger. NOR DO WE CARE!

So what is it? You want pity? simpathy? a hug? How bout' no. So piss off.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Please go away, you awful old man.

Where are you when the team wins?

Huh? Where?
I couldn't wait any longer, I wanted to post something before playoff time

Old
03-14-2004, 12:16 PM
BlueBlood17

Red Horner, grow up.

This guy is a troll in disguise. I don't understand why he is still allowed to post here. Just because he pretends to be a Leaf fan he can say anything he wants?

99.9% of his posts bash the Leafs or are negative.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
Kilger does not play like his size. Althought the McCauley for Nolan deal makes for an interesting debate, I think that Nolan means more to the Leafs now then McCauley ever could. Everyone agrees what a stand out guy McCauley is. However, he was never able to really fufill his promise here except in the playoffs a few years back. Now I know there could be reasons for this outisde of Alyn's control such as ice time and concussions, but Nolan has been a good addition to this team. Either way there is no sense dwelling on the past, the team we have now is the team we cheer for and the team that will be in the playoffs. As far as Domi and Belak go, I actually have to agree, well maybe I wont go as far as Red did, but both Belak and especially Tie have been disappointing this year for me. My playoff lines would be as follows. The combonations may be off but they are at lest the group of players I want on the ice,

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Stajan-Francis-Nolan

Leetch-McCabe
Klee-Kaberle
Johansson-Marchment/Berg

extras - Belak, Drake
Thats not Alyn's fault that's Quinn's fault, Alyn is one of the smartest players in the NHL, he's a leader in San Jose, if your not 35 you don't register on Quinns screen.

I have every confidence in Kilger that he can dislodge half the forwards on the Leaf roster if given the chance. McCabe and Kaberle have had succes together why seperate them, Leetch needs a steady defensive partner Johansson, Klee and Berg played well together untill they were broken up, Marchment and Berehowky are so slow footed that they are useless in their own end. In fact I'll go on record right now that Kilger will make Renberg redundant, you will see that once big Kilger puts on the Leaf Jersey he will be transformed, hopefully old Quinn will discover that before it's too late. I'm not sure Stajan can stand up to the physical play of the playoffs, he's pretty light in the butt to play on the wing. He does have a lot more heart than Riechel, if you put two good players with Reichel you just drag them down.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
sonnytheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Stajan-Francis-Nolan

wow, im a habs fan, but I gotta say that that's an amazing forward lineup (when healthy). I don't think anyone can complain about the Leafs' forwards, they are very good.

Now, backup goaltending, on the other hand.... :p

Old
03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

hahaha alan mccauley. come on

nolan is 3 times the player he is.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
Why the hell do you always try to remind us of the minimal success of former Leafs?! We didn't trade them. We weren't the GM who pulled the trigger. NOR DO WE CARE!

I want to win don't you, and the reason is the Old GM who gave away our young players who would now be the 20 something players that would be helping us win Cups. I'm not into hero worshipping I want to WIN, why are my fellow Leaf fans so satisfied with Mediocrity.

Old
03-14-2004, 12:38 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i know what you mean red
this team is too old, too slow

but nolan's a great skater
and mccauley has the concussion syndrome and is as soft as a butterfly

Old
03-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Kemosabe

Hey, I think some leafs fans are too old too...time for them to retire (Red).

Old
03-14-2004, 12:59 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

red knows what he's talking about
his posts are totally negative and mine are often pessimistic

and there's a reason for this
not because we want the team to lose
but because we want them to win

Old
03-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
hahaha alan mccauley. come on

nolan is 3 times the player he is.
Alyn's an all around player he does every thing, Nolan is a player who accomplished every thing by brute force, he's not a smart player at all his body is his only resource, not a thinking man's player at all. His body is worn out, he can only play in spurts, his off ice conditioning is terrible he's only 31 and he looks like he's 51 most of the time, his off ice conditioning in the summer is Fishing, on his off days he's fishing, soon as he gets to Florida he's fishing, nothing wrong with fishing but when your paid 6.5 a year you should put in the time to be the best you can be. He doesn't play in all three zones, overall except for 20 games that he's been here he's just not giving us the BANG for our Buck.

Now this is just my opinion feel free to disagree, but lets not sink to the immature level of wanting to have people banned, just because their not satisfied with the management and some of the players and express their view.

If I remember last April what most had to say about Quinn and the players everyone would have been banned. What's wrong with saying it before the fact than after, Quinns the same idiot and the players are even older.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

ok then, it's debatable
but give me nolan any day personally

Old
03-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Mats

There are Leafs fans that like to talk about every former player as if he were destined for the hall of fame, who used these forums to wax prophetically about the ability of Ware and Bohonos, of Farkas and Cereda.

Then there are those that talk about former players as if they were nothing, as if the Leafs are better off without them - Steve Sullivan was too small, Jason Smith wanted a trade, Danny Markov had a crazy nightlife, Alyn McCauely has concussions and is soft.

Red is right on this one. McCauley, Boyes and a 1st for Nolan was a bad or at least questionable trade at the time, and is now on the other side of bad towards brutal. Leafs management makes a lot of good calls, but they do make bad ones too, and this was one of them.

McCauley's name has come up as a possible Selke candidate this year, and not simply by San Jose commentators (granted, ESPN is not exactly the last bastion of hockey knowledge, but they're better than Fox and SI). The sad thing is that his game really hasn't improved by leaps and bounds - he was this player for us in Toronto, only his contributions weren't noted or considered important.

Nolan is not three times the player McCauley is - that's a comment from someone that hasn't seen a lot of Sharks hockey this year. He's playing with Korolyuk and Ekman right now which if you had to put a number to it would be their second or third line, but with closer to 1st line minutes he's playing like a 1st line center. He's scoring, dependable defenisively and an example and leader on a young, overachieving team. If you want a more accurate statement, Nolan is three times the salary McCauley is, although it's closer to four.

Just because Red makes the argument doesn't mean it's invalid.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:09 PM
leafaholix*

This guy is a troll.

It's safe to say that a lot of us are sick and tired with his act.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i know what you mean red
this team is too old, too slow

but nolan's a great skater
and mccauley has the concussion syndrome and is as soft as a butterfly
Alyn's not soft the goal he scored yesterday he was in front of the net took the pass and buried it, he's a thinking man's hockey player, young Stajan is like that often comes up with the puck with his guile rather than his brawn. and don't forget the Sharks got two other players, Nolan is a decent skater but doesn't have the stamina to do it at any length. We are slow and Hitchcock knows it that's why he plays a high tempo game that doesn't allow our cagey old veterans to use their Smarts, he makes them play Physical and wears our old warriors out.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Kemosabe

Nolan is my favorite Leaf...this post cuts deep.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Of course Red is conveniently forgetting that McCauley never showed this much ability with the Leafs in the regular season. He was practically handed the 2nd line center job ahead of Reichel 2 seasons ago. Boy, he sure ran away with that, 6 goals and 15 points in 64 points. The same way Jackman's poor play after being given a significant responsibility at the end of the year ( paired with Kaberle for much of the first 20 games, earning #2 minutes ) resulted in him being considered a spare part and traded, McCauley earned his way into being traded. Sure, he'd be a nice 3rd line center to have around most of the time, but would you seriously have him over Nieuwendyk and Francis / Stajan right now? No thanks. Frankly, I'm more than happy to see his success with the Sharks as with Jackman's with the Penguins; I'm also firm in my belief that he never would've seen that kind of success with the Leafs no matter who the coach was.

Old
03-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
He's an attention seeker.

You know how kids are playing and they say "hey,over here! Look at what i'm doing dad!". Well this guy never grew out of it.

Old
03-14-2004, 02:00 PM
leafaholix*

Basically, he's an attention *****.

Old
03-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
Of course Red is conveniently forgetting that McCauley never showed this much ability with the Leafs in the regular season. He was practically handed the 2nd line center job ahead of Reichel 2 seasons ago. Boy, he sure ran away with that, 6 goals and 15 points in 64 points. The same way Jackman's poor play after being given a significant responsibility at the end of the year ( paired with Kaberle for much of the first 20 games, earning #2 minutes ) resulted in him being considered a spare part and traded, McCauley earned his way into being traded. Sure, he'd be a nice 3rd line center to have around most of the time, but would you seriously have him over Nieuwendyk and Francis / Stajan right now? No thanks. Frankly, I'm more than happy to see his success with the Sharks as with Jackman's with the Penguins; I'm also firm in my belief that he never would've seen that kind of success with the Leafs no matter who the coach was.
Look at the stats, Nieuy and Francis there just shift to shift they can blow out at any time, hopefully we will have Quennville when the lockout ends, and our young players will flourish here instead of other venue's. Jackman can do more things on one leg than Berehowsky can do on two, including skate.

Old
03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Raging Bull

Just because Alyn might be putting up good points this year doesn't mean he is a better player then Owen. Owen is a 1st line calibre player playing on a 3rd line, and he still is putting up really good numbers. But Owens physical play far outways the benefits of his point production. Come playoff time, you wouldn't have to ask me twice.
Nolan over McCauley easily.

Old
03-14-2004, 03:10 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
Time to get Kilger in the lineup he's bigger and better than Domi.

Kilger is not better than domi LOL ,,, When you will see him play , you will realize your BIG mistake

Closed Thread