HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs sign Chris DiDomenico

Old
03-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Starpainter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
He MIGHT get a signing bonus, which can partially count against the cap immediately if the team wants to...that's why you sign people early
Er, I don't think that's the case. If we keep him in the Q which is likely the case his contract would be postponed until we keep him for the year. So, even though he is signing the contract for 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 his contract may actually start in 09-10 (likely) and finish in 11-12.

As well, if he is with the Marlies his salary and thus his bonuses wont count anyway.

Also, there is no definite signing bonus. His contract could be anything from $475,000 (I think) to $850,000 plus bonuses.

Last edited by Starpainter: 03-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Starpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Cheli

I guessed because the Blues recently signed 3 of their junior guys, and the same question came up..

(the original post being quoted said that it was just to give the kids some money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
the contracts don't start until they start playing in the NHL, so not true.
But they get their signing bonus, which at 10% of their first year's salary can be as much as a little over $90,000. Not bad for a 19-20 yr old kid.
edit -- according to the CBA:
The aggregate of all Signing Bonuses attributable to any League Year to be paid to a Group 1 Player may not exceed 10% of the Player's compensation for such League Year.

So it's up to 10% of his salary, I guess.

Last edited by Cheli: 03-15-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:15 AM
LTL

Excellent news but expected.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 07:56 AM
re5piration
'67 til

This means that he's making the jump to the Marlies next year?

Here's to a great pro career, Dido

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpainter View Post
Er, I don't think that's the case. If we keep him in the Q which is likely the case his contract would be postponed until we keep him for the year. So, even though he is signing the contract for 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 his contract may actually start in 09-10 (likely) and finish in 11-12.

As well, if he is with the Marlies his salary and thus his bonuses wont count anyway.

Also, there is no definite signing bonus. His contract could be anything from $475,000 (I think) to $850,000 plus bonuses.
His contract can't be accounted for...it counts when he is in the NHL...his bonus can be added to the cap immediately, so that if say, his contract was 600K plus 60K in bonus, instead of a 620K cap hit, his cap hit starts now on the 60K, making it a 615K cap hit...

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Zardoz

Good job Dido...

I hope they play some terrible Dido song after every goal with the Marlies next year...

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 12:35 PM
MickKaine

The way I understand it as Kulemin was signed for 3 years with his first year being in Russia that Kulemin was being paid by the Leafs for that year but it was understood that when his Russian contract expired that he would come over to North America. So I figure Dido can play a year in the Q and still collect money from his entry contract.

I had to check nhlnumbers.com but it seems to be correct as Kulemin did sign and collect money from the Leafs during the year he did not play for the Leafs. I'm sure this wouldn't count against the cap, it's just to ensure the player is your property and as an act of good will, I guess you could say, for them to join the team once their obligations to their current club are finished.

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickKaine View Post
The way I understand it as Kulemin was signed for 3 years with his first year being in Russia that Kulemin was being paid by the Leafs for that year but it was understood that when his Russian contract expired that he would come over to North America. So I figure Dido can play a year in the Q and still collect money from his entry contract.

I had to check nhlnumbers.com but it seems to be correct as Kulemin did sign and collect money from the Leafs during the year he did not play for the Leafs. I'm sure this wouldn't count against the cap, it's just to ensure the player is your property and as an act of good will, I guess you could say, for them to join the team once their obligations to their current club are finished.
Why would the Leafs pay for a player to play with another club?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
russmatuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
On the basis that he will definitely come over the year following if he gets paid that year?

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Especially as it is emerging that we actually have one.
Direction is a wonderful thing. This team sucks, but is vastly more fun to watch than last years' squad and, moving forward has a lot of flexibility with which to build around, hopefully, smart draft choices.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
sgupca

Great news!

I wasn't sure if Burke would give him a contract or not...i was getting worried.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
mikeswright49

Good for chris, I think he'll make the NHL but i saw him at the juniors and he didnt seem to sick out that much to me, so i dont think he'll be more then a third liner who can chip in some goals, what do u guys think?

mikeswright49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Starpainter

Quote:
His contract can't be accounted for...it counts when he is in the NHL...his bonus can be added to the cap immediately, so that if say, his contract was 600K plus 60K in bonus, instead of a 620K cap hit, his cap hit starts now on the 60K, making it a 615K cap hit...
Yep, you are right. Just re-read that section of the CBA and all bonuses and salary are postponed if the player is sent back down OTHER than the signing bonus. Which means all performance bonuses, games played, etc.

Old
03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Starpainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I think a plausible answer is that since he started playing with the Maple Leafs at age 22. At 22-23 SPCs only lasts two years. Though he did sign it when he was 21...

Old
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
it doesn't matter when you are drafted(1st round ,last round).its what you do after you're drafted that counts. good for you Chris.
I never said I think he's a long shot because of where he was drafted. its from watching him play in my home town for a couple of years.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswright49 View Post
Good for chris, I think he'll make the NHL but i saw him at the juniors and he didnt seem to sick out that much to me, so i dont think he'll be more then a third liner who can chip in some goals, what do u guys think?
I completely agree with your assessment. I don't really feel this signing is anything to get overly excited for. Good move? Sure, but alot of players seem to get hyped up if they play at the WJC by media/fans etc, but realistically, I don't really see him amounting to much other than what you described. His production is down this year, especially since the move to drummondville, on a team where he is seeing less ice. He did put up 75pts in his 17 year old year, which is pretty good, but I would have been more impressed if that was in the W as opposed to the Q. 3rd line checking forward would be my guess.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Cavo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I never said I think he's a long shot because of where he was drafted. its from watching him play in my home town for a couple of years.
Must be a better player on the road, as he sure looked good against the rest of the division on the road in PEI, Cape Breton, Halifax, Moncton, and Acadie- Bathurst. He was usually the best player on the ice.

I have no qualms with a road warrior.

Cavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Don't Alex Berry, Jiraj Mikus & Carl Gunnarson have to be signed (if they intend to keep them) as well?
and what about Vorobiev?

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavo View Post
Must be a better player on the road, as he sure looked good against the rest of the division on the road in PEI, Cape Breton, Halifax, Moncton, and Acadie- Bathurst. He was usually the best player on the ice.

I have no qualms with a road warrior.
again, never said he wasn't a good player. I love Dido. He's a great kid. with a great work ethic. But I hope you're right.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

So glad we are finally moving..and our prospect pool is slow but steadily developing into the future of our teams. Hopefully we make great steals and moves this draft and make our prospect pool even stronger.

Cheers to the signing!

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
I completely agree with your assessment. I don't really feel this signing is anything to get overly excited for. Good move? Sure, but alot of players seem to get hyped up if they play at the WJC by media/fans etc, but realistically, I don't really see him amounting to much other than what you described. His production is down this year, especially since the move to drummondville, on a team where he is seeing less ice. He did put up 75pts in his 17 year old year, which is pretty good, but I would have been more impressed if that was in the W as opposed to the Q. 3rd line checking forward would be my guess.
The W eh? Because a league with equal goals for makes a difference... You should probably think before you post crap like that to make sure that others don't think that it is true...

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
The W eh? Because a league with equal goals for makes a difference... You should probably think before you post crap like that to make sure that others don't think that it is true...
Perhaps you are right, and maybe it was not a fair comparison. I apologize. I am still learning much about junior hockey, drafting etc, but I was not sure about how they are "a league with equal goals for." There is likely more to look at in a league for level of play than just goals for as well, but again, perhaps it was a mistake, but this was the theory I was going on.

Goals For/team (total number of goals in the league/number of teams)

2007-2008
QMJHL: 239
WHL: 216

2006-2007
QMJHL: 266
WHL: 220

2005-2006
QMJHL: 260
WHL: 210

2004-2005:
QMJHL: 223
WHL: 196

This does not include the fact that Q season is 70 games and W season is 72. Thus, the W teams have an extra 2 games to bring up their goals for, yet still fall short. To look at these years, the difference adds up to the QMJHL having an additional 11%, 21%, 24% and 14% in scoring/per team each year over the W. If you ran a 20 team league such as the OHL ,that would be an extra 460, 920, 980, and 540 goals in those respective years. I would have thought that would indicate higher scoring.

Anyhow, my bad if I posted something that was uninformed and wrong. Sorry, and I don't mean to lead this thread astray. As a leaf fan, I do wish Chris all the best for a solid career.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote