HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

'Slats" Falling

Old
03-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
'Slats" Falling

Anyone catch Ken Campbell's article in this weeks Hockey News?

He pretty much nailed Sather pretty good.

(quote from article)

"It's enough to make you wonder how the guy continues to hang onto his job. Sather has been resting on his past laurels for so long that they're beginning to wear out like an old mattress."

In the 12 years since he's been inducted into the hall of fame... he has done absolutely nothing worthy of the honor.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Cake or Death

I'd be more impressed with the article if the guy wrote it in 2002 when Sather gave Holik $9M per for 5 years.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:05 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:23 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

Thank God we did not sign Sundin!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 01:39 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
I'd be more impressed with the article if the guy wrote it in 2002 when Sather gave Holik $9M per for 5 years.
Yea I agree. I think he's been pushing the team toward the right direction after the lockout. Many fans wanted higher draft picks but it just so happened that Jagr was much, much better than anyone thought he would be. It's true we've had some tough luck with some key draft picks like Blackburn and Jessiman. If you can't stand Sjostrom, unlike me, then you didn't like the Montoya pick. Cherepanov's death was obviously unexpected and tragic but I think it's all relative in terms of the draft, maybe with the exclusion of the Red Wings as I'm sure you can go around the league and get on most GM's for not drafting certain players.
Players like Gomez, and Drury are good players. But it's fair to question the amount of money they're making. The same with Redden and Rozsival. Because now we couldn't bring back a player like Antropov if we wanted to and we need all the offense we can get.
All in all, the past 3 years have been some of the most fun for me as a Rangers fan in a very long time. I enjoyed watching Lundqvist set a record, Jagr scoring 54 goals and winning a couple of rounds in the playoffs against some good teams. And this year is still not over yet. I still have hope we can climb into the playoffs.
And speaking of hope, I think we have some solid prospects from College and Jr's to the pro level. So we'll see what happens when Sather's tenure is all said and done.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 03:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Yea I agree. I think he's been pushing the team toward the right direction after the lockout. Many fans wanted higher draft picks but it just so happened that Jagr was much, much better than anyone thought he would be. It's true we've had some tough luck with some key draft picks like Blackburn and Jessiman. If you can't stand Sjostrom, unlike me, then you didn't like the Montoya pick. Cherepanov's death was obviously unexpected and tragic but I think it's all relative in terms of the draft, maybe with the exclusion of the Red Wings as I'm sure you can go around the league and get on most GM's for not drafting certain players.
Players like Gomez, and Drury are good players. But it's fair to question the amount of money they're making. The same with Redden and Rozsival. Because now we couldn't bring back a player like Antropov if we wanted to and we need all the offense we can get.
All in all, the past 3 years have been some of the most fun for me as a Rangers fan in a very long time. I enjoyed watching Lundqvist set a record, Jagr scoring 54 goals and winning a couple of rounds in the playoffs against some good teams. And this year is still not over yet. I still have hope we can climb into the playoffs.
And speaking of hope, I think we have some solid prospects from College and Jr's to the pro level. So we'll see what happens when Sather's tenure is all said and done.
I love that you assume Extreme's post was meant as a defense of Sather.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It's the same lousy article which has been written about Sather for years. Mike Brophy wrote the same article before the lockout.

This topic has been discussed more times than it has been written about.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
GarretJoseph

Captain Obvious. I bet he had to dig real deep to find all that info. Tell us something we don't know Mr.Campbell.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
In the 12 years since he's been inducted into the hall of fame... he has done absolutely nothing worthy of the honor.
We can start with getting Jagr and Avery at half price. Without either of those moves, the Rangers would be looking at 11 straight years not going to the playoffs.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's the same lousy article which has been written about Sather for years. This topic has been discussed more times than it has been written about.
True. You'd think with this much time, this much money, this much authority, and this many drafts, Glen Sather would have performed sufficiently to make such talk go away.

Guess not.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Jagr and Avery at half price + they drafted Henrik Lundqvist. A bit lucky for sure but the guy could end up being the best goaltender the franchise has ever had. He's sure off to a great start.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 08:57 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
they drafted Henrik Lundqvist. A bit lucky for sure but the guy could end up being the best goaltender the franchise has ever had.
Martin Madden - Neil Smith's dir. of scouting - thanks you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
We can start with getting Jagr and Avery at half price. Without either of those moves, the Rangers would be looking at 11 straight years not going to the playoffs.
The Rangers went to the playoffs without Avery, and it's probably worth noting that part of that 11 year span was Sather's. He shares responsibility for the team's playoff drought.

Last edited by dedalus: 03-15-2009 at 09:05 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I love that you assume Extreme's post was meant as a defense of Sather.
who cares? You? I wrote that post at like 3 in the morning after just coming home. What do I have explain every detail as to why I made a mistake. So Extreme hates Sather too, okay. He didn't even care to point that out because he probably doesn't give a ****. It figures you do. I love the way you find the time and energy to point that out so sarcastically like in the big scheme of things, it really matters. Wasn't the point of the post anyway.
If you would like I can change it to a different tune, more to your liking. If I would've said "die hard Rangers fans wish for their team to tank it and lose so they can get high end draft picks," would that make music to your ears? I thought it would. Only if all the die hard fans of every team had that philosophy and people can watch teams purposely putting pucks in their own nets. Maybe with any luck, the Rangers fans will chant "lets go Flyers throughout the game today." And pray to god that Gomez puts up no points what so ever!! Here I fixed a post just for you.: )

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 03-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Actually that Hitler movie is quite fantastic it is called Downfall. Everyone rent it

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Actually that Hitler movie is quite fantastic it is called Downfall. Everyone rent it
Bruno Ganz. Phenomenal actor.

Old
03-15-2009, 12:35 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I'm sure it is, but it will never, ever stand up to the dubbed version on this link. I passed out laughing. "That old hag Shanny, is he still alive?" Priceless. My wife is about to go postal on me if I don't stop breaking out in spontaneous laughter.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2009, 06:04 PM
BwayBshirt

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I've never seen a thread and/or article more worthy of

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:01 AM
FLYLine24*

Yawn..hes done alright besides for the Redden contract.

His trades are 10x better then most GMs.

Just a nobody at THN trying to be someone.

People just love to ignore anything good he's done (JAGR!!!!) Jeeze without that guy we would be what....12 years without a playoff appearance haha. Lets just forget the most steal trade ever in Ranger history.

Even though Redden hasnt been worth his contract (not his fault, anyone would take that)..people just IGNORE anything good he does in a game...just what he does bad....

Just like Sather.

Its good though, easy to separate who knows what they are talking about on the site and who doesnt....

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 03-16-2009 at 02:06 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yawn..hes done alright besides for the Redden contract.

His trades are 10x better then most GMs.

Just a nobody at THN trying to be someone.

People just love to ignore anything good he's done (JAGR!!!!) Jeeze without that guy we would be what....12 years without a playoff appearance haha. Lets just forget the most steal trade ever in Ranger history.

Even though Redden hasnt been worth his contract (not his fault, anyone would take that)..people just IGNORE anything good he does in a game...just what he does bad....

Just like Sather.

Its good though, easy to separate who knows what they are talking about on the site and who doesnt....
He's done alright besides Redden?

...Yikes.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Fletch

my opinion as the season ended and the Rangers missed the playoffs again (2004), that Sather's time should've been up. He moved the pieces around and built relatively nothing. He spent more than anyone had ever spent. He had four coaches in four seasons, including himself (I include Renney since he coached in 2004). I don't see how three seasons of him wasn't enough. Even in hindsight, I stand by those thoughts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
And the easiest deal Sather has had to make. Jagr was gift wrapped to him, don't make it seem like Sather engineered this great maneuvre. Jagr wanted to come to NY, Caps were willing to pay almost all his salary, where is the genius there besides signing on the dotted line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
my opinion as the season ended and the Rangers missed the playoffs again (2004), that Sather's time should've been up. He moved the pieces around and built relatively nothing. He spent more than anyone had ever spent. He had four coaches in four seasons, including himself (I include Renney since he coached in 2004). I don't see how three seasons of him wasn't enough. Even in hindsight, I stand by those thoughts.
Totally agree.

People around here say Renney is the one can't get us past the 2nd round, its really the big Cigar upstairs that should shoulder the blame.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Fletch

I think that's about 80% true, Bluenote - thought the Rangers had the squad to get past the second round two seasons ago when they couldn't get past Buffalo. Agree with the rest and I don't see it getting better. He can put together a competitive team (so long as the guy in nets stays healthy), but he can't put together a great team as a result of his drafting over the past however many years and the trades he's done and hasn't done.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Mason530

Do these writers not know NY landscape well? Or they are running things to write?? Everyone knows that Slat is save because the owner treats him like God. As long as he doesn't screw up like Isaiah Thomas, he is leaving him alone. He is stuborn like a bull as well. He is not going to fire someone just for some bad criticism.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And the easiest deal Sather has had to make. Jagr was gift wrapped to him, don't make it seem like Sather engineered this great maneuvre. Jagr wanted to come to NY, Caps were willing to pay almost all his salary, where is the genius there besides signing on the dotted line?
Oh come on, it was a fairly large risk trading for a 32 year old player who was run off his team and was perpetually described as a cancer, even if the cost was minimal. If Jagr flopped Sather would have been ripped to pieces, actually he was ripped pretty bad before Jagr even played a game.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=46245

Sather gets more than enough flak around here for his foul ups, he should get credit when he does something right.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote