HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm and Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
  #51
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
We saw how well Heatley and Spezza played in the playoffs without Alfie last season.

Spezza still has to prove he can get it done on his own.

I think he will.

On topic, the proposal is bad.
ya woo 4 games with bad goaltending, bad defense and a team that was ripped apart is a great measuring stick.....

If spezza or Heatley are injured you think the team will lose more games? hell ya these guys just produce too much on a nightly bases to not be missed

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:59 PM
  #52
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,660
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Listening to Ottawas GM Spezza is not untouchable. Obviously another centreman would have to come back with a dman. How about this

To Edm
Spezza

To Ottawa
Horc
Visnovsky
Schremp

I think this helps out both teams and is fair value for each. Of course I know that fans are going to think that they are not getting enough so lets hear what you have to say.
Edmonton would be crazy to say no, but Ottawa can't afford to take on those salaries. Horcoff's salary is too inflated next year (5.5) and Lubo i making 5+. Ottawa likely has to send a player Edmonton's way who's not earning their pay.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:11 PM
  #53
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!
 
Highbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
ya woo 4 games with bad goaltending, bad defense and a team that was ripped apart is a great measuring stick.....

If spezza or Heatley are injured you think the team will lose more games? hell ya these guys just produce too much on a nightly bases to not be missed
Actually, Gerber played very, very well in that series and was easily Ottawa's best player. His stats do not reflect his play, they reflect the team's poor defensive play.

Highbrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
  #54
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
Actually, Gerber played very, very well in that series and was easily Ottawa's best player. His stats do not reflect his play, they reflect the team's poor defensive play.
he was the best player yes, but that wasnt hard to achieve with the sad sack season we had...

i still remember some VERY weak moments where Gerber killed us, like that wrap around goal that pretty much verified the sweep

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
  #55
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
Actually, Gerber played very, very well in that series and was easily Ottawa's best player. His stats do not reflect his play, they reflect the team's poor defensive play.
I can't exactly agree with that. Defense wasn't where it should have been, but to pass the buck on to the rest of the team and to say that Gerber gave us good goaltending is a complete farce.

He did in fact have one decent game, but along the way he let in some soft goals, kicked out rebounds and had himself caught out of position way too often. As far as I can tell, it's just prototypical Gerberism. He'll make a bunch of flashy saves, look like he's stealing a game and put on just enough of a show to leave people with a positive opinion. Really though, where was he on those game breaking saves that he had to make? All flash, no clutch.

TheHMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:31 AM
  #56
A1DRIVER*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Listening to Ottawas GM Spezza is not untouchable. Obviously another centreman would have to come back with a dman. How about this

To Edm
Spezza

To Ottawa
Horc
Visnovsky
Schremp

I think this helps out both teams and is fair value for each. Of course I know that fans are going to think that they are not getting enough so lets hear what you have to say.
Add Edm draf choices for the next 2 years and you have a deal. That makes hust as much sense as your proposal.

A1DRIVER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:25 AM
  #57
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Just like the last 50 Spezza to Edmonton proposals on here, No.
Yup and this one's not even top 5.

I hope Schremp can just be traded already so he can stop being in every proposal...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:29 AM
  #58
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Listening to Ottawas GM Spezza is not untouchable. Obviously another centreman would have to come back with a dman. How about this

To Edm
Spezza

To Ottawa
Horc
Visnovsky
Schremp

I think this helps out both teams and is fair value for each. Of course I know that fans are going to think that they are not getting enough so lets hear what you have to say.
i just barfed all over my monitor.

how about:
Fisher, Kuba and Hennesy for Hemsky

now if you are an edmonton fan imagine the bile building in your throat now magnify it by 10 and you know how sens fans would feel about the OP's deal.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:22 PM
  #59
Spence334
Registered User
 
Spence334's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybean View Post
As an Oiler fan I wouldn't do this.

Spezza is over-rated. The only Sen player I have any interest in is Heatly.
Spezza is the one that's underrated.

Counter:

Heatley
5 round 2009

Edm 1st 2009
Gagner
Eberle
Schremp(Always liked him)

Not sure about the value, but I like the 1-2 punch up front ottawa might have in the future. Ottawa also gets a building winger in Eberle to replace Heatley in the future.


Edmonton gets a 2 time 50 goal scorer to play with hemsky.

Spence334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
  #60
Guelkey
Registered User
 
Guelkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
Outside of Crosby, Malkin and Lecavalier...I'm not sure who I'd want as my first line center for the next 5-10 years. If I'm Ottawa, he's an untouchable.


You serious? How about Getzlaf, E.Stall, Toews, P.Stastny, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Parise, M.Richards, Carter, and Thornton. I would way rather have these players for the next 5-10 years. These players produce on a nightly basis, and some of them do it with less elite players than Alfredsson and Heatley. When Spezza is not with those two players he is almost invisible. If you call him untouchable, then Ottawa has some serious problems in the future.

Guelkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
  #61
davegagnerskid
 
davegagnerskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Who is the odd man out in Ottawa? It seems inevitable that someone will move. Alffie is older, but would still garner a kings ransom, Heatley imo should be untouchable and Spezza is a enigma who may undeservedly have a Schremp with NHL skill tag attached to him.

Not saying Edmonton is the best trading partner, but Ottawa's salary structure has a lot of money tied up in 3 players who often form a single line.

Now you will probably never hear me say this again and to put a Oilers spin on it I will still find a negative I think all teams should approach a cap with a Calgary-like structure.

Top forward - Iginla
Blueliner - Phaneuf (although I think he's overrated and overpaid at this point in his career)
Goalie - Kipper

Get a stud at all 3 positions, pay them accordingly and then build around them.

Detroit submits to a similar method, but hasn't found a goalie yet.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
  #62
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Salary cap going down? Yeah this completely justifies downgrading your elite top line center for someone who makes 1.5 million less.
Jason Spezza is not elite. Sorry to break it to you.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
  #63
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,414
vCash: 500
If I was Ottawa I wouldn't touch that deal. Horcoff and Schremp have very limited trade value. Visnovsky is the only piece of any significant value in the proposal and even though he's a top 15 defensemen in the game he's not enough to land Spezza. I think a more reasonable offer for both sides would be:

Gilbert
Gagner/Cogliano

for

Spezza

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #64
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Jason Spezza is not elite. Sorry to break it to you.
He is elite. We should be able to admit that at least, even if we don't like him or his team.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
  #65
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Jason Spezza is not elite. Sorry to break it to you.
he actually is

one bad season doesnt mean much

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:11 AM
  #66
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Who is the odd man out in Ottawa? It seems inevitable that someone will move. Alffie is older, but would still garner a kings ransom, Heatley imo should be untouchable and Spezza is a enigma who may undeservedly have a Schremp with NHL skill tag attached to him.

Not saying Edmonton is the best trading partner, but Ottawa's salary structure has a lot of money tied up in 3 players who often form a single line.

Now you will probably never hear me say this again and to put a Oilers spin on it I will still find a negative I think all teams should approach a cap with a Calgary-like structure.

Top forward - Iginla
Blueliner - Phaneuf (although I think he's overrated and overpaid at this point in his career)
Goalie - Kipper

Get a stud at all 3 positions, pay them accordingly and then build around them.

Detroit submits to a similar method, but hasn't found a goalie yet.
Ottawa doesn't have a cap crunch next season, so none have to be traded.
We may have a crunch in 2010-11, but we really have no idea what the cap will be or whether the NHL will bend to create a slower adaptation to the new economic realities. I'd hope that every effort will be made to clear salary from some depth areas first.

I doubt we'll get a stud at every position unless we develop them... and by the time our few irons in the fire are ready to make real money (if they ever become that good), Alfie may be retiring.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
  #67
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,016
vCash: 500
Another Jason Spezza deal that's not going to happen.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:02 AM
  #68
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Jason Spezza is not elite. Sorry to break it to you.
right, so going into this year he had the 3rd best PPG in the NHL since the lockout, but he's not an elite player.
Tied for the NHL playoff scoring lead as a 23 year old, but he's not elite...

you have no idea what you're talking about, sorry to break it to you.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
  #69
Dick Whitman
Registered User
 
Dick Whitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelkey View Post
You serious? How about Getzlaf, E.Stall, Toews, P.Stastny, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Parise, M.Richards, Carter, and Thornton. I would way rather have these players for the next 5-10 years. These players produce on a nightly basis, and some of them do it with less elite players than Alfredsson and Heatley. When Spezza is not with those two players he is almost invisible. If you call him untouchable, then Ottawa has some serious problems in the future.
If you're trying to make a point, at least pick guys who have a) outperformed spezza or b) are actually centremen.

Also, spelling their names correctly would sure enhance your point.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.