HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Do you remember when Gretzky broke Howe's record for points?

Old
03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Do you remember when Gretzky broke Howe's record for points?

reading an issue of The Hockey News from 1989:

Apparently, when Gretzky broke Howe's record for points with a goal vs Edmonton (53 secs remaining to tie the game) they stopped the game to do a presentation with Gretzky and a few others doing a speech. So, with the game tied they stopped it to do a ceremony..

Also, after he scored the goal the entire Kings bench jumped on the ice to celebrate with Wayne.

I was just wondering, how was all of this allowed? I just assume that this wouldn't be allowed to happen.

Then again, I'm sure breaking an all-time record for points could be the exception..

Does anyone know if the league approved this ahead of time? Did they say they would allow this to happen when he broke the record? I'm sure being in Edmonton made it "too perfect" as well.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 03-16-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
BruinsBtn

I watched it a few weeks ago, it was amazing. Wayne followed it up with the overtime winner as well.

I don't see any problem with stopping the game. It's the biggest record in hockey, alongside goals.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I vaguely remember the Flyers getting a bench minor when they piled onto the ice to congratulate Hextall on his first goal, so I guess breaking the all-time scoring record is the exception to the rule.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

I have the whole thing on VHS tape somewhere-- It was hyped by ESPN and Gordie had been following Gretzky from game to game waiting for him to break it.

If I remember correctly --didn't he scored the goal in overtime? Isn't that why everyone poored off the bench? I believe that was the case. He tied the record and the game with an asisst and a backhand goal in front of the net in OT I believe.

Aethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I have the whole thing on VHS tape somewhere-- It was hyped by ESPN and Gordie had been following Gretzky from game to game waiting for him to break it.

If I remember correctly --didn't he scored the goal in overtime? Isn't that why everyone poored off the bench? I believe that was the case. He tied the record and the game with an asisst and a backhand goal in front of the net in OT I believe.
Nope, there was a little under a minute with the goalie out for the extra man. (He did score the OT winner as well, at which point I'm sure the team re-poured onto the ice.)

Why the Christ Gretzky was left so wide open in front of the net is beyond me..

Old
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
FissionFire

Fans today don't realize just how revered Gordie Howe was and how monumental it was at the time for Gretzky to break his record. The only record in sports that (used to) hold the same prestige was the HR record in baseball, but Bonds ruined that. Gretzky breaking that record really transcended not just that game, but the sport itself. It was front page news nationally. That's how important and anticipated it was at the time.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Fans today don't realize just how revered Gordie Howe was and how monumental it was at the time for Gretzky to break his record. The only record in sports that (used to) hold the same prestige was the HR record in baseball, but Bonds ruined that. Gretzky breaking that record really transcended not just that game, but the sport itself. It was front page news nationally. That's how important and anticipated it was at the time.
Not only that, but just how fast Gretzky broke it. When you take into account the fact he missed 6 games in 83-84(probably his best season), and another 16 in 87-88, he essentially took just under 10 full seasons to do it! The fact that someone was going to simply blow by Howe's record was so incredibly astonishing.

I see no problem with what went on. Here you have the greatest player ever now owning one of the landmark records that such a player should have, and not only that, doing in the city where he accumulated most of that point total. It was an absolutely momentous occasion. One of a very few instances where stopping a game would be appropriate, but one of them nonetheless.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

i remember thinking when gretzky scored his 802nd goal against vancouver that the ceremony went on forever. they stopped the game, cameramen walked onto the ice, he gave a freakin' interview, then he made a speech, people gave him presents, it was ridiculous.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Big Phil

Well let me ask people this: how often does the career goals or points record get broken? Howe broke the goals record in 1963 with his 545th. It took 41 years for Gretzky to break it. The points record was also set by Howe but wasnt touched by Gretzky until 1989. Has anyone done either since? Nope. And we've all done the math just to see how difficult it would be for Ovechkin to break the goals record (I don't think Crosby get's 2,857 though either).

So technically we could literally see this type of thing happen once or maybe twice in a century. So in other words, yeah, take all the time to soak it up that you'd like and for the ones that don't like it, who cares about them anyways?

(BTW the same thing was said about McGwire's 62nd HR in '98. The game stopped and it was celebrated along with Sosa who just happened to be playing against him. People complained because the Cubs were in a pennant race that the game shouldnt have been stopped but this was Baseball history even if its lost some of its luster in recent years. You can't make an excuse that you lost a game because you had to watch a ceremony for 15 minutes. Just enjoy it I say)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

looking back, it seems rare. but you have to remember that in '94 or whenever it was he caught gordie's goal record, we had seen wayne break a lot of records. and we had seen people interrupt a lot of games for things wayne did. i mean, stop the game for a few minutes, make an announcement, sure. but to have bettman, mcnall, janet g, camera crews, and everyone else on the ice like he'd just scored the OT winner in the finals was a bit much to me. couldn't they have waited until after the game? name him first star, and have a commotion when he skates back out on the ice. gretzky always said he wasn't bigger than the game. but the NHL sure made him out to be bigger than the game a lot of times, and, in that game against the canucks at least, it seemed disrespectful to his opponents.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
ozzie

In baseball when the stolen bases record was broken (sorry I forgot by who). Didn't they run out and present him with an award at 2nd base? or remove the base or something? Then continue with the game?

My memory is foggy.

Anyhow if anyone breaks Gretzky's goals or point totals you bet they will stop the game. It was a huge deal at the time. As people said Howe was following him game to game. Media attention was high and not to mention it happened in the City of Edmonton. Story book.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
In baseball when the stolen bases record was broken (sorry I forgot by who). Didn't they run out and present him with an award at 2nd base? or remove the base or something? Then continue with the game?
Henderson, and in true fashion he just grabbed the base and stole it.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
alanschu

The basketball game where Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points never officially ended.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
The basketball game where Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points never officially ended.
I find it hilarious that there's no video evidence of the greatest feat in the history of basketball.

Mostly because I hate basketball.

Old
03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Section337

Howe was basically travelling with the Kings at the time, it was definitely sanctioned and prepared for by the league. It should also be noted that a similar celebration occurred when Howe broke Richard's (?) record.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote