HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who's retiring?

Old
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
mikeybuddha91

vCash: 500
I can see PJ Axey retiring after this season if the Bruins decide to go with a Bitz-Sobotka-Thornton type of 4th line.

mikeybuddha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Who do you think will take a half-year off next year like Niedemayer, Forsberg and Selanne a year ago, and Sundin and (sort-of) Shanahan this year? My guess is Sakic, I could see him taking the summer to decide, then waiting until a few months into the year to see how the Avalanche are doing before coming back.
Shanahan would have played from day one if he could. He wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Doug Weight.
The guy was PPG on the worst team in the NHL. If he is healthy I say no way he stops now. He might folow Guerin or maybe the Islanders make him captain now?
It's good to sign a player like that. You can give him a contract that is all about bonuses.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain AARON MAIDEN View Post
Chelios,Lemieux,Joseph,Sakic,Holik,Kolzig,Lang
Lang wants to come back with the Canadiens according to the Montreal Gazette.

It is most probable that Forsberg will retire. I wonder if Martin Lapointe has something to do with it.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Anyone know what happened to John LeClair? According to wiki, he hasn't officially retired.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Hedman will have retired before Chelios hangs them up.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:17 AM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybuddha View Post
I can see PJ Axey retiring after this season if the Bruins decide to go with a Bitz-Sobotka-Thornton type of 4th line.
He's only 34 so I think he will continue, but not in Boston.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:23 AM
TrevorLinden16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Anyone know what happened to John LeClair? According to wiki, he hasn't officially retired.
I think I remember him retiring. From the Penguins the year after Palffy and Lemieux if I'm not mistaken.

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorLinden16 View Post
I think I remember him retiring. From the Penguins the year after Palffy and Lemieux if I'm not mistaken.
He got sent down and cleared waivers twice, not sure if he ever actually officially retired.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:35 AM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
He's only 34 so I think he will continue, but not in Boston.
Axelsson will stay in Boston for whole career.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
I think Sakic and Modano will be the next two major players to retire...

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybuddha View Post
Didn't Thorton ponder retirement last year ?

Anyway, P.J Axelsson is one of my favourite players, for some odd reason, and he's only 34. I hope he does not retire.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
he has retired. he's done some work with the Flyers Alumni this past season

anyways, as for who i think will retire for the Flyers, Darien Hatcher

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Axelsson will stay in Boston for whole career.
his NHL career could end this summer. he's already rumored to go back to sweden. would be nice to see him play a few more season with frolunda.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
his NHL career could end this summer. he's already rumored to go back to sweden. would be nice to see him play a few more season with frolunda.
Yes, and he has stated that he will.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon89 View Post
Sakic will make the 2010 Canadian Olympic team so I say he waits till after then to retire.
He won't be on the team. he just isn't the same player anymore. I know there was a lot of discussion about giving him a chance to captain the team, but Yzerman would be doing a disservice to the team by adding Sakic, who would likely be the worst player on the squad. I don't think Sakic will retire because i don't think he wants his last season to be this disappointing, however I really think he should retire.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Can't see Sakic retiring with how this season has gone.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
fullclip
Prepare to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He won't be on the team. he just isn't the same player anymore. I know there was a lot of discussion about giving him a chance to captain the team, but Yzerman would be doing a disservice to the team by adding Sakic, who would likely be the worst player on the squad. I don't think Sakic will retire because i don't think he wants his last season to be this disappointing, however I really think he should retire.
If Sakic is healthy he is a ppg player without a doubt. Add in all his intangibles like leadership and clutch play and if he's healthy he should be on Team Canada. Maybe not in a first line role like previously but he should be there. That said if he comes back next year and shows that he has declined then he won't be added. But if you look at the games he has played up until now there is no reason to think he can't still play at that level.

fullclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

If Satan doesn't somehow get himself back onto the Pens' roster this postseason, I can see him heading to Europe for next year.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Kinda outta left field but I think Darren McCarty might finally hang them up.
He can't afford to...literally.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Sakic shouldn't retire, he's still one of the best playmakers in the game. He also has experience and leadership.

Canada needs him.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
dhcox36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix View Post
Fedorov, depending on how the Caps finish.
Brashear, with any luck, however he's a UFA anyway.
I had not realized how old Brashear was. I always just assumed he was in his low to mid 30's.

dhcox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

I know I'm going to get flamed like a charcoal briquette, but...

... what about Nick Lidstrom? Perhaps not this year, but next -- especially if the Wings win the Cup again. He just seems like the type of fellow to go out on top rather than whittle away his later years picking up scraps of ice time.

Either that, or I could certainly see him returning to Sweden to play out the rest of his days.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Ched Brosky

Selanne, S.Niedermayer, Hedican, Chelios, Lidstrom, Sundin, C.Lemieux, Sakic, Kolzig, Modano, Zubov, Sydor, P.Boucher, Recchi, M.Schneider, Draper, Maltby, Blake, Foote, Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk, Legace, Osgood, Joseph, Hatcher, Rathje, Stillman, Brodeur, Brunette, Roloson could all retire

Although I doubt Tkachuk, Stillman, Brunette, Brodeur, Roloson, Weight, Foote, Zubov, Recchi, Maltby, and Guerin retire this season.

Could easily turn out to be the offseason to have the most players retire along with the biggest names

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Selanne, S.Niedermayer, Hedican, Chelios, Lidstrom, Sundin, C.Lemieux, Sakic, Kolzig, Modano, Zubov, Sydor, P.Boucher, Recchi, M.Schneider, Draper, Maltby, Blake, Foote, Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk, Legace, Osgood, Joseph, Hatcher, Rathje, Stillman, Brodeur, Brunette, Roloson could all retire

Although I doubt Tkachuk, Stillman, Brunette, Brodeur, Roloson, Weight, Foote, Zubov, Recchi, Maltby, and Guerin retire this season.

Could easily turn out to be the offseason to have the most players retire along with the biggest names
Anyone who is expecting plenty of players to retire this offseason is seriously underestimating the effect of Olympics to such decisions, especially in case of players from smaller countries (Finland, Sweden to some extent, Czech, Slovakia etc.). Especially with Olympics in Canada (no big travel to get to games), I would be extremely surprised if players like Koivu, Selanne, S.Niedermayer and Sakic to name few examples of players who could really have much in stake towards olympics would retire this summer, next summer is definetly another beast all together (and if cap actually drops significantly for 2010/11 season, that summer could be the toted big summer for retirements).

The second issue is that I doubt we will see plenty of players retiring mid-contract, provided that they still have meaningfull role in team. Another reason for Selanne not to retire (signed through 2009/10 season) and even though Brodeur might not continue to play through all his current contract (although even that would not be surprising), I sincerely doubt that he would retire with 3(!!!) seasons left in the contract, not just his style. Lidström is also signed through next season, he negotiated that contract (includin the length) himself, hinting that it could be his last contract, but he won't give up in mid-contract. Same holds (unfortunately?) for Draper, Maltby and Osgood.

It is easy to give list of fairly old NHL players, but out of the list above, I would place only Kolzig (UFA, forced out of starting role, injured), Hatcher (I think he has been out all seasons), Rathje (well, his all but technically retired already, so might still stay for the last year of his contract) as likely candidates.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I know I'm going to get flamed like a charcoal briquette, but...

... what about Nick Lidstrom? Perhaps not this year, but next -- especially if the Wings win the Cup again. He just seems like the type of fellow to go out on top rather than whittle away his later years picking up scraps of ice time.

Either that, or I could certainly see him returning to Sweden to play out the rest of his days.
I've thought about him too, especially considering the way Holland doesn't seem all that worried about the cap long term. My guess would be that they have at least discussed a general time frame.

Like you I don't see him sticking around to play 4mins a night, he really doesn't have a whole lot left to accomplish.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote