HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones: Out for a week, Syvret called up

Old
03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Quoted again for emphasis (or for the reading comprehension challenged)

Just sayin...
Randy Jones, paired with Lasse Kukkonen, was LEADING the NHL in +/- through the first month of last season whilst playing on the third pairing.

Amazing what happens when a player stays where he's supposed to and is on a good team.

The fact that Alberts is so high up there (and, similar to Jones, isn't that great) should cause you to look at that stat a bit closer. Jones has turned himself into an alright third pairing defenseman. Same as he was last year. Problem is that he's paid like he should be playing on the 2nd pairing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

jones makes mistakes but this celebration is just ridiculous

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Randy Jones, paired with Lasse Kukkonen, was LEADING the NHL in +/- through the first month of last season whilst playing on the third pairing.

Amazing what happens when a player stays where he's supposed to and is on a good team.

The fact that Alberts is so high up there (and, similar to Jones, isn't that great) should cause you to look at that stat a bit closer. Jones has turned himself into an alright third pairing defenseman. Same as he was last year. Problem is that he's paid like he should be playing on the 2nd pairing.
Exactly. I really don't like when people just talk crap on Jones as if he shouldn't even be in the league. He's a pretty good d-man, just overpaid. The money doesn't make him a bad player. So there's no need to talk as if he shouldn't be in the lineup. A desire to trade him (solely for salary) is warranted though.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:

He also plays both special teams, which has to account for something...you would think. I'm not saying I'm a fan of his contract, as I am clearly not, but this is a little crazy to celebrating him out of the lineup when we don't have a legitimate 7th guy. Especially as were in a playoff race.

The question I would like answered, is he wasn't paid this much last season...and was still public enemy #1. I just don't get it, probably never will.

To celebrate his absence when we play the Wings tomorrow...is just absurd, IMO.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't see this as reason to celebrate but to each their own. Jones plays both special teams units and has been pretty good.

Like CF88 said, Syvret is being thrown right into the fire.
It's not sink or swim, and he's played in the NHL before. This is the exact reason you have a farm team, for these situations. Maybe if Holmgren didn't panic earlier in the season, he wouldn't be being thrown right into the fire, he'd be more used to it since he would have played games earlier in the season.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Should be interesting. Danny isnt gonna be spectacular, shouldnt be much of a down or up grade from mr jones. Shame we dont have Ossi as a 7th d man. w/e. Hopefully Mr Syvret fills the roll solidly and the Flyers win.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DUHockey9

Quote:
He also plays both special teams, which has to account for something...you would think. I'm not saying I'm a fan of his contract, as I am clearly not, but this is a little crazy to celebrating him out of the lineup when we don't have a legitimate 7th guy. Especially as were in a playoff race.

The question I would like answered, is he wasn't paid this much last season...and was still public enemy #1. I just don't get it, probably never will.

People still think Randy Jones is the same player he was when he was first given a shot in the NHL (what 2 or 3 years ago?) when he isn't even close to the same player. People refuse to actually watch him and accept he's a solid enough player.

It's the same with Alberts. People still see him as being a liability as he was his first month or two with us. When in reality, he's been more than adequate for the most part over the last month or so. He hits (the only D-man that can really say that), he skates very well for a big guy, and he plays a pretty solid PK. What else do you want out of a 3rd pairing guy?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Jester

Quote:

Well, I think he's atrocious on the PP. He's just not a creative offensive player and doesn't make too many good passes while trying to operate the PP...becomes a real handicap in working the puck around. He does have some good hands when he's out in the open, especially on broken plays...but that type of skill doesn't translate into being a PP QB. I mean, he has 6 pts through 35 games...the myth of his offensive ability is being blown up a bit this year with him getting the right type of minutes (and thus being less of a drag on the team).

At some point Jones should be bumped from the PP, with D pairings of Timonen-Richards, and Carle-Coburn on the respective units.

As long as he's on the third pairing he's absolutely fine for this club...the problem has been when he was getting major minutes against stiff competition and drowning. That's not the case with this current defense, and, therefore, he's fine.

Old
03-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Miss Mess

Well that sucks. I don't want any of our players to get hurt, especially with so few games left in the season

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not sink or swim, and he's played in the NHL before. This is the exact reason you have a farm team, for these situations. Maybe if Holmgren didn't panic earlier in the season, he wouldn't be being thrown right into the fire, he'd be more used to it since he would have played games earlier in the season.
Sure, he's been played in the NHL before...but that was what...2 years ago. To throw him against the Red Wings, isn't exactly ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
People still think Randy Jones is the same player he was when he was first given a shot in the NHL (what 2 or 3 years ago?) when he isn't even close to the same player. People refuse to actually watch him and accept he's a solid enough player.

It's the same with Alberts. People still see him as being a liability as he was his first month or two with us. When in reality, he's been more than adequate for the most part over the last month or so. He hits (the only D-man that can really say that), he skates very well for a big guy, and he plays a pretty solid PK. What else do you want out of a 3rd pairing guy?
From what I gather, people don't like the contract...myself included. However, I stop short of calling him the worst defenseman in the league, as he simply isn't. Not even remotely close. What baffles me, is that the majority of the hatred stems from his contract...but he didn't have this contract last season and his progression was, IMO, very good.

Quote:
Well, I think he's atrocious on the PP. He's just not a creative offensive player and doesn't make too many good passes while trying to operate the PP...becomes a real handicap in working the puck around. He does have some good hands when he's out in the open, especially on broken plays...but that type of skill doesn't translate into being a PP QB. I mean, he has 6 pts through 35 games...the myth of his offensive ability is being blown up a bit this year with him getting the right type of minutes (and thus being less of a drag on the team).

At some point Jones should be bumped from the PP, with D pairings of Timonen-Richards, and Carle-Coburn on the respective units.

As long as he's on the third pairing he's absolutely fine for this club...the problem has been when he was getting major minutes against stiff competition and drowning. That's not the case with this current defense, and, therefore, he's fine.
I will agree, I'd much rather see those D pairings.

I don't know about drowing...his number don't suggest that he drowing. Sure, I watch all the games and there are times where he struggles, absolutely. All I'm saying, is to be at this stage in the season, and celebrate his removal from the lineup...is absurd. Were in a very important time of the season...and Jones is better than Syvret, period.

Old
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yeah Jones sucks on the PP, hes only there because hes better than Parent and Alberts. Once Briere is in gameshape Richards will be back on the point.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
RoDu

f we're only down Jones for Detroit, I'll be relieved Any rumor of a Coburn suspension yet?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't know about drowing...his number don't suggest that he drowing. Sure, I watch all the games and there are times where he struggles, absolutely. All I'm saying, is to be at this stage in the season, and celebrate his removal from the lineup...is absurd. Were in a very important time of the season...and Jones is better than Syvret, period.
When he's been up above the 3rd pairing for any stretch...he's struggled to keep up. When he stays on the 3rd he's a perfectly fine player...make his brain farts, but the lesser talent on the ice doesn't burn him as bad.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:14 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Let's see what this guy can bring to the table.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Flyersfan1216

Come on People this is the NHL. Every team has talented players.

Being " thrown into the fire "

Might as well let him play against a good team. See what he has.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
f we're only down Jones for Detroit, I'll be relieved Any rumor of a Coburn suspension yet?
According to Bill Meltzer's piece on Hockeybuzz, no suspension is forthcoming.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
MountainHawk

And if we hadn't traded Upshall for Carcillo, we'd be playing Detroit with 5 defenseman.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
And if we hadn't traded Upshall for Carcillo, we'd be playing Detroit with 5 defenseman.
either that, or no Giroux

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
We could have traded Jones, or got rid of Alberts over Vaananen for cap space too.
I don't think anyone is taking Jones off our hands

Old
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We could have traded Jones, or got rid of Alberts over Vaananen for cap space too, which would have made more sense than traded Upshall.

I would still rather have Vaananen and Upshall than Carcillo and Alberts. Not to mention a second aswell.

With Vaananen over Jones we could have 3 call ups! If one callup is worth a 2nd then 3 must be worth what, 3 seconds!!!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Why not Sbisa?

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Why not Sbisa?
He can't be called up until his season is complete with Lethbridge.

Old
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1500
Jones appeared to have difficulty in the days immediately following the Bergeron hit but he recovered nicely and had a good showing in the playoffs last season. It isn't much of an exaggeration to equate him with the Peter Principle but on a third pairing he shouldn't be considered a liability. Unfortunately, his salary is a major factor in expectations. At one point, with Parent and Jones out, the D consisted of Timonen, Coburn and four defensemen who played something like 75 NHL games last season (Sbisa, Kukkonen, Ossi and Eminger) early on and that elevated him. That was a major concern as the camp broke.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-16-2009 at 08:47 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I would still rather have Vaananen and Upshall than Carcillo and Alberts. Not to mention a second aswell.
Carcillo+Alberts represents a slightly smaller cap hit that Upshall+Vaananen. Plus I think Alberts is better than Vaananen, Alberts is, except for the occasional appearance of mean-Couburn, our only defenseman who really hits. Giving up the second, though, was a bit much.

Old
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Speaking of that Vaananen guy, he's yet to play a game for the Canucks.

...just saying.