HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff/Regier to stay even if we miss the playoffs per Quinn

Old
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Ruff/Regier to stay even if we miss the playoffs per Quinn

From yesterday's TBN. Strange it hasn't gotten much traction around here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ry/608137.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason
Questions about their futures are out there, so we might as well get straight to the answer and end speculation before it gains momentum. General Manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff are expected to be retained regardless of whether the Sabres rally to make the playoffs this season.

FYI: The words “are expected to” were carefully chosen over “definitely will” only because you never know with absolute certainty, the same way you never know with absolute certainty that you’re going to wake up tomorrow. Minority owner Larry Quinn made it clear last week that both are sticking around.

“I don’t mean this to open up Pandora’s box, but anything like that you evaluate at the end of the year,” Quinn said. “But, no, that’s not an issue for us, changing the manager or the coach. . . . I’m not a believer of saying, ‘You have to do something, so fire the coach.’ I just don’t believe in that philosophy.”

The only allowance for wiggle room is Regier or Ruff doing something completely out of character, such as getting thrown in jail. Assuming they’re breathing and not in the clink, they will continue their stretch next season as the longest-tenured GMcoach combination currently in the NHL.
Yay for accountability!!

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
great to hear

status quo around here ....

Awesome !

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
K McDude

I never assumed their jobs were on the line.

I've never believed in making huge changes frequently, but in their history are these two even batting .500 in regards to getting us into the playoffs?

They have a ton of excuses for past failures, but these last two seasons rest entirely on their shoulders. I usually have excluded Lindy in the past (even though I think Sabres fans highly overrate his ability) but as Buffaloed has pointed out to me, Lindy likely has a lot of say in who gets brought in.

I'm all for giving them another season, but I honestly think if we miss the playoffs next year too, these guys will keep their jobs. BTG is clueless when it comes to hockey, and we all know Larry Quinn knows even less, although he has been around the sport much longer.

If I had my choice, we would keep Lindy and Darcy, but Quinn would be fired.

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob McDude View Post
I never assumed their jobs were on the line.

I've never believed in making huge changes frequently, but in their history are these two even batting .500 in regards to getting us into the playoffs?

They have a ton of excuses for past failures, but these last two seasons rest entirely on their shoulders. I usually have excluded Lindy in the past (even though I think Sabres fans highly overrate his ability) but as Buffaloed has pointed out to me, Lindy likely has a lot of say in who gets brought in.

I'm all for giving them another season, but I honestly think if we miss the playoffs next year too, these guys will keep their jobs. BTG is clueless when it comes to hockey, and we all know Larry Quinn knows even less, although he has been around the sport much longer.

If I had my choice, we would keep Lindy and Darcy, but Quinn would be fired.
STOP, talking like you know what the best thing would be ....

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Megaera

Surely this is a surprise to no one?

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
BrodieBruce

Be reasonable, the real problem is that lame opening video. Go here http://sabres.nhl.com/team/contactus.htm and lets get that thing changed so we can stop being bored to death before the game starts!!!

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieBruce View Post
Be reasonable, the real problem is that lame opening video. Go here http://sabres.nhl.com/team/contactus.htm and lets get that thing changed so we can stop being bored to death before the game starts!!!
+1. There is absolutely no buzz in the crowd before the game because they're bored to tears right before it starts. It was nice the first time, but now it is awful. I'm going to start bringing an iPod to games so I can be in the right mind frame to combat other teams with my boisterous voice.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
It's a surprise to nobody and that's what sucks about it. You have to wonder just how much Ruff wants to win, knowing that he's still going to have a job and be a god in Buffalo no matter what.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
If we miss this year, we have missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years. In a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs, this isn't acceptable.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
If we miss this year, we have missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years. In a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs, this isn't acceptable.
Mm-hmm.

If playoffs are missed and status quo is the name of the game, I hope that an awful lot of people stop attending their games. It seems like that may be the only way to make the ear-plugging nonsensical front office wake up and pay attention.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
BrodieBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
It's a surprise to nobody and that's what sucks about it. You have to wonder just how much Ruff wants to win, knowing that he's still going to have a job and be a god in Buffalo no matter what.
Yeah, Lindy Ruff doesn't care if the team that he has been coaching forever wins because he clearly has no attachment to it whatsoever.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:
Yeah, Lindy Ruff doesn't care if the team that he has been coaching forever wins because he clearly has no attachment to it whatsoever.
Well he certainly doesn't have the incentive to win that every other coach in the NHL has to deal with.

His job security is absurd and it worries me.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
BrodieBruce

Quote:
Well he certainly doesn't have the incentive to win that every other coach in the NHL has to deal with.

His job security is absurd and it worries me.
Thinking that a coach could care less if his team wins or not is even more absurd.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:
Thinking that a coach could care less if his team wins or not is even more absurd.
I'm sure Ruff wants to win. That much is obvious. But how much are he and DR willing to risk to win, knowing that they have their jobs locked up?

Old
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
BrodieBruce

Quote:
I'm sure Ruff wants to win. That much is obvious. But how much are he and DR willing to risk to win, knowing that they have their jobs locked up?
I'm sure that Lindy is doing whatever he can to try and make a success out of a franchise he has been a part of for very much of his life.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:
I'm sure that Lindy is doing whatever he can to try and make a success out of a franchise he has been a part of for very much of his life.
Well if that's the case, he clearly isn't the best guy for the job.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Rammstein816

Lindy and Darcy will be here forever. I like how other teams make a change EVEN if their team is on track to make the playoffs and the Sabres don't even consider it. In the Eastern Conference, where John Stevens is the 2nd longest tenured coach, why are the Sabres afraid to make a change? Are they waiting to finish last, because no other team is?

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
BrodieBruce

Quote:
Well if that's the case, he clearly isn't the best guy for the job.
I think he is doing the best with what he has to work with.

Old
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Tra La La

Will they both be Lameducks? Final year of thier contracts?

Bottom line, They probabley don't want to pay 4 guys for 2 jobs.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Will they both be Lameducks? Final year of thier contracts?

Bottom line, They probabley don't want to pay 4 guys for 2 jobs.
They've already basically been lame ducks.

As for the 4 guys for 2 jobs comment, are you suggesting that LQ takes over the GM position after DR leaves?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
They've already basically been lame ducks.

As for the 4 guys for 2 jobs comment, are you suggesting that LQ takes over the GM position after DR leaves?
Nah

If they fired Ruff and Regier, they would be paying them off. And Paying whoever took thier place.

Couple of Million extra?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Driftwood
Fire Regier

Golly obviously has no clue what is going on. What other owner could be so oblivious to the mess that Regier has made? He must be only listening to the idiot.

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
wardigital*

I just will never understand people who think that people who work in professional sports need motivation to try their very best or accountability to take risks.

These aren't bag boys at a grocery store. And I don't see any reason why anyone involved in this wouldn't try as hard as they could just because they think they can "get away with it". It's all a bunch of excuses, and a patch job on the titanic.

If changes need to be made, then everybody goes. From Golisano down to the last guy on the depth chart. We've lived through the Bills, who have done exactly what it seems Buffalonians are in love with -- cut off their leg to spite their foot; menial changes in adminstration, or coaching, or talent, but never all together.

The organization is either competitive or its not, and so frankly, I don't give a leaping **** what Larry Quinn has to say, because if he said the exact opposite, not a damn thing is going to change when you've got Jason Pominville firing shots straight into a goalie's chest or depth at forward that wouldn't reach my ankles.

wardigital* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
SpachoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardigital View Post
I just will never understand people who think that people who work in professional sports need motivation to try their very best or accountability to take risks.

These aren't bag boys at a grocery store. And I don't see any reason why anyone involved in this wouldn't try as hard as they could just because they think they can "get away with it". It's all a bunch of excuses, and a patch job on the titanic.

If changes need to be made, then everybody goes. From Golisano down to the last guy on the depth chart. We've lived through the Bills, who have done exactly what it seems Buffalonians are in love with -- cut off their leg to spite their foot; menial changes in adminstration, or coaching, or talent, but never all together.

The organization is either competitive or its not, and so frankly, I don't give a leaping **** what Larry Quinn has to say, because if he said the exact opposite, not a damn thing is going to change when you've got Jason Pominville firing shots straight into a goalie's chest or depth at forward that wouldn't reach my ankles.
So I take it that you don't think that the pressure to win-or-lose-your-job has any merit to it? Not trying to belittle you just seeing where you stand.

Old
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Megaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Golly obviously has no clue what is going on. What other owner could be so oblivious to the mess that Regier has made? He must be only listening to the idiot.
Who says he's oblivious? His priorities aren't necessarily the priorities of the fans and just because the expectations of the fans aren't being met doesn't mean his expectations aren't being met. Or at least not to the same degree.

And frankly, while I'm not happy with the performance of the team either, there are worse owners/ownership groups the Sabres could have.

As for Ruff, I don't think the idea that he doesn't work as hard because he has job security has any merit. There are other reasons to question Ruff (maybe the players and he have been together so long that a number of them have tuned him out, etc.) but I think that one's pretty ludicrous.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote