cantwell7

vCash: 490
QMJHL Playoffs

Start on Friday

Here's how the first round breaks down.

These are my thoughts on the sereies

Atlantic

1-Moncton(102) vs 4-PEI(62)
- Moncton has been on a role since the beginning of the season and has shown no signs of slowing down. With Nicola Riopel in nets and the teams strong defencive play , the Rocket will be hard pressed to produce offence. If P.E.I has any chance of winning this series it will because of the play of Bobby Nadeau who is a top 5 goalie in the league , and his game stealing ability . They will also need a big series out of sniper Chris Doyle , he needs to step up and provide secondary scoring after the Casavant line. Moncton will counter with the checking line consisting of 2 of the hardest hitters in the league with Zach Sill & Scott Brannon , im sure the will have the duty of taking out P.E.I's top line of Champagne , Olsson & Casavant .

-I think Moncton will win the series in 5 games , but i think the games will be close.

2-Cape Breton(96) vs St.John(72)
-Saint John have 3 of the most talented defencemen in the league with Yann Sauve , Simon Despreas & David Stich and they will be counted on along with Habs prospect Robert Mayer to slow down Cape Bretons offence. The Eagles have 3 - 30 goal scorers and many other weapons at their side . Saint John will be led by 2nd year forward Michael Kirkpatrick & hopefully a healthy Ryan Sparling who is coming off a concussion. Saint John dont really intimidate with there offence so they will have to play a solid defencive game if they want to have a shot in this series.

- Ill take Cape Breton in 5 , there offence is a little to much to handle & Robert Mayer has been to inconsistant

Telus East

1-Quebec(101) vs 4-Baie Comeau(53)
-Quebec have a high octane offence , that can throw out 3 lines that can score . They are led by Leafs draft pick Mikhail Stefanovich who has put together a great year . They are led on the back-end by junk yard dog Kevin Marshall who will aim to be a thorn in the side of the BC players , and im sure he will have no problem doing that. Baie Comeau can also score goals themselves. 20 year old and former Rempart Felix Petit is on of the leagues top scorers and is lined up with youngster Guillaume Goulet who are great players. The only problem with the Drakkar is keeping the puck out of there net in this series . I dont think the Drakkar have a chance in this series and say the Remparts will take it in 4

2-Rimouski(89) vs Chicoutimi(60)
- Rimouski has been on a role of late , getting all there big guns back from injury. Big game players like Patrice Cormier , M-A Bourdon & Sebation Piche are the cream of the crop in Rimouski . I dont really see the Sags coming close to touching Rimouski in this series . The Sags are decent upfront with Mathieu Tousignant , Antoine Roussel & Nicolas Deschamps but i think that the Mem Cup hosts will take this series in 5 games , With the Sags winning one of the games at home . Im sure coach Richard Martel will put up a good fight but in the end Rimouski's offence will over power the Sags.

Telus Centre

1-Drummondville(112) vs Lewiston(47)
-Too all Lewiston fans , Im so sorry for you guys . Drummondville will run away with this series . Yannick Reindeau & Dany Masse etc .. will just have a feild day with this young Lewiston team . I would hate to be goalie Peter Delmas , because he going to be facing alot of rubber .
- Drummondville in 4

2-Shawinigan(105)-Victoriaville(68)
- Shawinigan are another team with a all around great team . It's starts in net with Timo Peilmier and all the way out to team scoring leader Cédric Lalonde-McNicoll. Victoriaville hung in for 2 games last year against the powerhouse Halifax Mooseheads , and its mostly the same team as last year . I think that Victo can steal a game at home , but thats all i think they can muster.
Shawinigan in 5

Telus West

1-Gatineau(81) vs Bathurst(53)- Gatineau , the defending champs will have no problem in the first round IF there goaltending can balance out . Paul Byron & J-P Chabot will lead the way for the Piques , but will be facing a great goalie in Nicolas Champion . There's no doubt Bathurst is out matched in this series but Champion could steal a game or 2 . Im going to say Gatineau in 6

2-Montreal(72) vs Rouyn-Noranda(68)
- If Montreal was fully healthy i would be taking them hands down , but injurys to key players are making me second guess them .They have one of the best goaltenders in junior hockey in nets with Jake Allen so you cant count them out . Rouyn had a few good runs in the past years , and are now hiting there rebuilding / re-loading mode . I think it will be close but Montreal in 6

Last edited by cantwell7: 03-17-2009 at 11:43 AM.
cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:25 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 500
First round matchups:

West division:

1.Gatineau
2.Montreal
3.Rouyn-Noranda
4.Acadie-Bathurst

Acadie-Bathurst vs Gatineau:

Bathurst is recovering from the trades they made last year. This team lacks a bit of everything, especially offense. Gatineau has turned its season around since coach Jerome Dupont arrived with the team. They add great additions in the middle of the year and Byron is finally playing to his full potential. Gatineau is always dangerous in the the playoffs and Bathurst won't be able match their intensity.

My prediction: Gatineau wins.

Key players for Bathurst: Spencer Jezegou (F), Taylor Lambke (F), Nicolas Champion (G)

Key players for Gatineau: Paul Byron (F), JP Chabot (F), Alexandre Quesnel (F), Alain Goulet (D)

Rouyn-Noranda vs Montreal:

This is the most difficult matchup to predict. Rouyn is suffering defensively from the lost of their QB Marc-André Bourdon, but they still have some good players. Montreal lost Angelo Esposito and Luke Adam for the playoffs, but others took the lead in their absence. Montreal has the best QMJHL goalie in Jake Allen and I think he can win this one by himself.

My prediction: Montreal wins.

Key players for Rouyn-Noranda: Sergey Ostapchuk (F), Benoit Gervais (F/D), Pier-Luc Giguère (F)

Key players for Montreal: Jake Allen (G), Nick Layton (F), T.J. Brennan (D)

Central division:

1.Drummondville
2.Shawinigan
3.Victoriaville
4.Lewiston

Lewiston vs Drummondville:

Drummondville should easily win this one in 4 games, they would win it in 3 if they could. This matchup is very unbalanced. Drummondville has scored 345 goals this year, the highest total of the CHL. Drummondville might have a little flaw in its defensive depth and in front of the net, but against Lewiston it won't be a problem. Lewiston is a gritty team and they will probably use the intimidation because Drummondville is a small team. However, the MaineIacs take a lot of penalties and Drummondville's PP is deadly.

My prediction: Drummondville wins.

Key players for Lewiston: Danick Paquette (F), Max Gratchev (F), Éric Gélinas (D)

Key players for Drummondville: Yannick Riendeau (F), Dmitry Kulikov (D), David Massé (F), Mike Hoffman (F), Samson Mahbod (F)

Victoriaville vs Shawinigan:

Victoriaville isn't that bad with a 0.500 record, considering they faced 8 times each of Drummondville and Shawinigan. However, Shawinigan had a great and well-balanced team. They're excellent offensively, defensively and at the goalie position. Victoriaville will give Shawinigan a decent opposition.

My prediction: Shawinigan wins.

Key players for Victoriaville: Kevin Poulin (G), Maxime Tanguay (F), Andrej Nestrasil (F), Joël Chouinard (D)

Key players for Shawinigan: Cédric Lalonde-McNicoll (F), Nicholas Petersen (F), Mathieu Bolduc (D), Alex Grant (D), Timo Pielmeier (G)

East division:

1.Quebec
2.Rimouski
3.Chicoutimi
4.Baie-Comeau

Baie-Comeau vs Quebec:

Quebec won 7 times out of 8 against Baie-Comeau and outscored them 37 to 17. This should be a one-sided matchup. B-C's first line will probably give a decent opposition to Quebec. However, Quebec's well-balanced team, especially on the first three lines should give them the win.

My prediction: Quebec wins.

Key players for Baie-Comeau: Félix Petit (F), Guillaume Goulet (F), Gabriel Bourque (F), Pier-Luc Lessard (D)

Key players for Quebec: Mikhail Stefanovich (F), Kevin Marshall (D), Benjamin Breault (F), Charles Lavigne (G), Dmitry Kugryshev (F)

Chicoutimi vs Rimouski:

According to me, if healthy, Rimouski is the best team of the QMJHL. They have 3 great lines and a good defense. Their main flaw is in front of the net with Maxim Gougeon. However, it won't be a problem against Chicoutimi's offense. Chicoutimi lacks some fire power offensively, defensively they're not really good and their goalie has had a roller coaster season. Rimouski should win this one easily.

My prediction: Rimouski wins.

Key players for Chicoutimi: Mathieu Tousignant (F), Jacob Lagacé (F), Nicolas Deschamps (F), Drew Paris (D)

Key players for Rimouski: Keven Veilleux (F), Marc-André Bourdon (D), Maxime Ouimet (D), Sébastien Piché (D), Patrice Cormier (F)

Atlantic division:

1.Moncton
2.Cape Breton
3.Saint John
4.P.E.I.

P.E.I. Vs Moncton:

Moncton has the MVP of the league in its team in goaltender Nicola Riopel. He was everything for them this year. They're also good offensively and defensively, but not as much as Drummondville, Shawinigan, Rimouski and Quebec. P.E.I. is a young team and that's probably why they're not high in the standings. They'll probably be one of the best teams in the league in the next few years. However, Moncton is better this year.

My prediction: Moncton wins.

Key players for P.E.I.: Benjamin Casavant (F), Chris Doyle (F), Joël Champagne (F), Bobby Nadeau (G)

Key players for Moncton: Nicola Riopel (G), Matt Eagles (F), Tomy Joly (F), Mark Barberio (D), David Savard (D)

Saint John vs Cape Breton:

Saint John was supposed to be THE team this year in the QMJHL, but it didn't happen. They got rid of some veterans and brought in some younger blood. They're a good team, but Cape Breton is better. They're a well-balanced team with a great goaltender. They're probably better than Moncton.

My prediction: Cape Breton wins.

Key players for Saint John: Michael Kirkpatrick (F), Ryan Sparling (F), Simon Després (D), Yann Sauvé (D)

Key players for Cape Breton: Robert Slaney (F), Olivier Roy (G), Chris Culligan (F), Jan Piskacek (D), Michael Ward (D)

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Here's a list of the players who won't or might not start the playoffs with their team:

Baie-Comeau

Nathan Dunnett (day-to-day)
Marc-André Laroche (day-to-day)
Roman Malinik (day-to-day)

Bathurst

Taylor Lambke (day-to-day)
Maxime Renaud (out of the playoffs)

Gatineau

Alexandre Quesnel (out of the playoffs)

Montreal

Luke Adam (out of the playoffs)
Jake Allen (day-to-day)
Angelo Esposito (out of the playoffs)

Quebec

Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (suspension, 3 games remaining)

Rimouski

Gleason Fournier (day-to-day)

Shawinigan

Maxime Macenauer (day-to-day)
Pierre-Alexandre Vandall (maybe several weeks)

Feel free to inform me if I forgot some names!

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 03-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Bourdon is ready to go for Rimouski?

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:42 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

He is supposed to be ready Friday night. But you made me remember that Fournier won't be able to play this weekend.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Dutch

Vandall(SHA) might be out for a big while according to local press.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
QcS

Alexandre Quesnel is out for Gatineau. He won't play in the playoffs.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
That's a huge upset for Gatineau...

Old
03-19-2009, 12:19 PM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
That's a huge upset for Gatineau...
Yeah, Quesnel is a big piece for Gatineau's offence.. but they should still be able to take out Bathurst in 4 or 5. After that, they get Shawinigan (unless there's an upset), which will be VERY tough. Still, when you're a fan of the Olympiques, anything is possible

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
What happened? I didn't even realize this until I was at the game tonight.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:37 PM
MarCHBDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
What happened? I didn't even realize this until I was at the game tonight.
Shoulder think... It happenned during the game over Shawi... 4-6 weeks out...

PS = Hubert Labrie is injury for Gatineau too. He'll return after the first round...

MarCHBDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarCHBDC View Post
Shoulder think... It happenned during the game over Shawi... 4-6 weeks out...

PS = Hubert Labrie is injury for Gatineau too. He'll return after the first round...
Ya, heard Labrie too, but he's obviously nowhere near as important as Quesnel.

Thanks for the info.

Old
03-21-2009, 01:06 PM
MarCHBDC

Quote:
Ya, heard Labrie too, but he's obviously nowhere near as important as Quesnel.

Thanks for the info.
: laugh:

Labrie is probably the best defensive defenseman of the League! 1 goal and 4 assists and he's rank like in the 4th round for the next draft! That's mean he's unbeleivable in defense! At 17 years old, he's 3rd for hit for d-man (152 in 55 games!) In 2 years, I never see him make a defensive error! We have a lot of good offensive defenseman like Malette and Goulet, but Labrie still our top defenseman. Last year, he lead the defensive squad at the Memorial Cup at the age of 16! (Malette, Carrier and Machabée were injuried and he was playing with Pat Prokop).

We can replace Quesnel in the line-up (OK, McGinn is not as good as Quesnel, but he can scores goals). But nobody can replace Labrie.

Quesnel is a big part of the offensive, it's sure, but Labrie is the main part of our defensive!

Old
03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Hossa

Quote:

Labrie is probably the best defensive defenseman of the League! 1 goal and 4 assists and he's rank like in the 4th round for the next draft! That's mean he's unbeleivable in defense! At 17 years old, he's 3rd for hit for d-man (152 in 55 games!) In 2 years, I never see him make a defensive error! We have a lot of good offensive defenseman like Malette and Goulet, but Labrie still our top defenseman. Last year, he lead the defensive squad at the Memorial Cup at the age of 16! (Malette, Carrier and Machabée were injuried and he was playing with Pat Prokop).

We can replace Quesnel in the line-up (OK, McGinn is not as good as Quesnel, but he can scores goals). But nobody can replace Labrie.

Quesnel is a big part of the offensive, it's sure, but Labrie is the main part of our defensive!
Interesting. Admittedly I haven't followed the Olympiques closely this year, not like the 67s, so clearly I underestimated the impact of Labrie, although every time I have been able to catch the games on TV for a bit I haven't seen exactly what you mean, but I trust that you know the team better than me.

If Labrie was in, who would slide down to the third pairing then, Delisle or Laporte? I assume Mallette and Goulet would stick together.

Regardless of whether Quesnel is replaceable, I'm not convinced Tye McGinn is the answer to anything, even if he played well last night.

Old
03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
MarCHBDC

Quote:
Interesting. Admittedly I haven't followed the Olympiques closely this year, not like the 67s, so clearly I underestimated the impact of Labrie, although every time I have been able to catch the games on TV for a bit I haven't seen exactly what you mean, but I trust that you know the team better than me.

If Labrie was in, who would slide down to the third pairing then, Delisle or Laporte? I assume Mallette and Goulet would stick together.

Regardless of whether Quesnel is replaceable, I'm not convinced Tye McGinn is the answer to anything, even if he played well last night.
During the victory steak, Labrie was playing with Steven Deslile. So, you keep Goulet and Malette togheter, Delisle and Labrie should play over the best line and Laporte-Barnard/Clancy is the third pairing. In PP, you put Laporte with Deslile on the second unit!

Old
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:

what???? i like labrie but command

imo the best defensive d-man in the Q is maxime ouimet of rimouski

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:53 PM
MarCHBDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
what???? i like labrie but command

imo the best defensive d-man in the Q is maxime ouimet of rimouski
I mean, Ouimet is 20, Labrie 17... Ouimet is an excellent defensive defenseman, but Labrie has maybe for defensive talent then him. I hope you understand what I mean...

By the way, here's the scores :

Rimouski 5 - 1 Chicoutimi F
Shawinigan 7 - 1 Victoriaville F

Gatineau 2 - 1 Bathurst 1st INT
Québec 3 - 0 Baie-Comeau 1st INT
Drummondville 4 - 0 Lewiston 1st INT
Moncton 5 - 0 PEI 2nd INT
Cape Breton 4 - 1 St. John 2nd INT
Montréal 0 - 0 Rouyn 1st PER

Old
03-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Lewiston

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
MarCHBDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Lewiston
I never see a team get destroy like that ^^

Update of the scores :

Rimouski 5 - 1 Chicoutimi F
Shawinigan 7 - 1 Victoriaville F
Moncton 5 - 0 PEI F
Cape Breton 5 - 2 St. John F

Gatineau 5 - 2 Bathurst 3rd PER
Québec 5 - 0 Baie-Comeau 3rd PER
Drummondville 10 - 0 Lewiston 3rd PER
Montréal 3 - 3 Rouyn 3 2nd INT

Old
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

How can you expect to win against Drummondville when you take so much penaltie?!

Old
03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
MarCHBDC

How do you expect to win against Drummondville when your name is MAINEiacs??? I think D'ville should play with only 4 players!

Anyway... Obviously, only one serie is close ^^ Gatineau and Bathurst was going to be a good serie, but thank Mr. Choules for his stupidity, Gatineau finnaly wake up and scored the last 6 goals of the game!

So :
-Riki lead the serie 2-0 over Chicoutimi
-Shawi lead the serie 2-0 over Victo
-Gatineau lead the serie 2-0 over Bathurst
-Québec lead the serie 2-0 over B-C
-Drummondville lead the serie 2-0 over... well, I think they're alone on the ice...
-Moncton lead the serie 2-0 over PEI
-Cape Breton lead the serie 2-0 over St. John
-Serie is tie between Montréal and Rouyn

Except the serie between Montréal and Rouyn, the smallest score was 5-2... and the biggest 10-1

Old
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
gnr25

Honestly, what is with all the massive blowouts? It's ridiculous. The 2nd round should be good though, with all the contenders facing each other.

gnr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Baie-Comeau's best player this year was Félix Petit. Roy traded him to Baie-Comeau because in three years with the Remparts, he never showed up in the playoffs. Once again, he's not showing up and that's a huge blow to Baie-Comeau and both his linemates Goulet and Bourque...

Old
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

a big at Keven Veilleux

4 (10min) misconduct penality in 2 gm and and also 8pts in those 2 game

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:41 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It's the only way to stop him, making him lose his temper. Anyway, he still got the other 40 minutes!