HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fight Night Round 4 (Game is Now Out, so go buy it and let me KYTFO)

Old
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
Fight Night Round 4 (Game is Now Out, so go buy it and let me KYTFO)

A bunch of new videos (May 8th)
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14252467/vids_1.html

Miguel Cotto vs. Julio Cesar Chavez gameplay (May 8th)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49021.html

Official Roster (some more possibly unannounced):

The game will feature 14 ratings for each fighter: Left hand power, right hand power, hand speed, punch accuracy, foot speed, head movement, block strength, stamina, head toughness, body toughness, chin, heart, cuts and swelling.

There will be 3 bars: Health, Stamina, Block. If you eat a very big punch that rocks your fighter, the blue health bar turns mostly red - if the red bar goes all the way down it seems you get knocked down. If you can recover, the red goes away and the blue bar will be roughly around the same place it was before getting rocked. This is a big improvement over Round 3 where you had to take away your opponent's entire health bar to score a knockdown, even if you were landing a ton of huge punches (unless you used the cheesy, slow as hell super flash punch). If you LAND a big punch that rocks the opponent, your yellow stamina bar flashes and you get a burst of adrenaline that allows you to throw flurries of punches that don't take away from your stamina. After a little while, this goes away. If you block too many punches, your green Block bar goes down, and you will start to eat some leather as punches begin to slip through your guard. All of this can be seen in the Cotto/Chavez video.

Punches will only be thrown using the right analog stick, in a format like this (for an orthodox/right handed fighter):

Jab (head): 12/11 o'clock
Jab (body): 12/11 + LT/L1 (the lean button)
Straight (head): 1/2
Straight (body): 1/2 + LT/L1
Left Hook (head): 9 to 12 arc
Right Hook (head): 3 to 12 arc
Left Hook (body): 9
Right Hook (body): 3
Left Uppercut (head): 7 to 12 arc
Right Uppercut (head): 5 to 12 arc
Left Uppercut (body): 7
Right Uppercut (body): 5

This will allow players to throw head/body combinations more fluidly than in Round 3, where you had to lean in with LT/L1 in order to go to the body.

RT/R1: Block
LT/L1: Lean/sway
X/Square: Clinch
Other face buttons: not sure...

You can bob and weave like Tyson. To do this (assuming you're on the left), you use the left analog and sweep/arc from 3 to 12, and 3 to 6 to bob left and right respectively. This will allow you to come forward aggressively, slipping in and out, making yourself a harder target.

In between rounds, you will have "points" to spend on your Health, Stamina, and Damage/Cuts. You can either have the CPU do this for you, do it yourself, or skip it and let the points accumulate for a later round. No more cutman minigame. Also, both fighters do their healing at the same time, rather than one after another.

Getting up from a knockdown is also different. It uses both analog sticks. The left one is to balance side to side, and the right is to coordinate an attempt to get up. If you slip up, you will stumble or fall and have to start again. From what I read, it's pretty difficult, far more difficult than the "move to the center circle" from FNR3.

"Legacy Mode" is far more in-depth this time around. It will be calender-based, with emphasis on rest after fights as well as training. Sometimes, a fighter will drop out of his card and you will be offered to fight in his place, but if you aren't 100%, you might want to decline rather than taking the risk of going in hurt. There will be at least 6 training modes, although I'm not sure what they are.

The game will also feature "GameFace", which allows you to upload a photo of a fighter and the game will re-create their face. This was used in the Tiger Woods games.

---

Physics Engine Teaser (Apr. 3rd)
http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sport...e-video-teaser

Gameplay Video
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46760.html

Unveiling Video (Fall 2008)

http://fightnight.easports.com/default.aspx

Lots of different articles about the game:
http://twitter.com/FightNightNews

Boxing fans, rejoice. The long-awaited sequel to the popular Fight Night Round 3 is finally getting close.

At a Gamestop or EB Games, you can pre-order the game and you will get a code to unlock the demo two weeks before the normal demo release date. It looks like May 14th is the date that the code will activate.

Last edited by yakitate304: 06-25-2009 at 12:38 PM.
yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
ClicheGuevara

Looks incredible. I liked Round 3, but it was pretty much a parry-fest.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I'm so pumped for this game. FN Round 3 was awesome (even if it was a parry fest.

Funny story about that. For the longest time I played FN round 3 with a buddy and he had absolutely no idea what a parry was and me being an assclown wouldn't tell him why every time he went to hit me with a haymaker his guy would stand there stunned for a minute and I'd clobber him with a clean shot.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I'm particularly happy to get to play as the Pazmanian Devil, not to mention Rocky.

Old
03-17-2009, 04:20 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Tyson FTW

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Can't wait. I loved FN3, and hopefully this one is even better.

A more detailed career mode would rock.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
A more detailed career mode would rock.
I forget which of the links from this page I saw it on, but I read that one of EA's 4 main goals for FN4 was to have a more realistic and in-depth career mode. There will be a lot of fight stats recorded, and you will always know where you stand with regards to other fighters. But... I won't get TOO excited about the depth of a career mode, after the way EA hyped up Be A Pro's depth for NHL 09.

http://twitter.com/FightNightNews

Also, punches will be thrown solely with the Right Analog.

"For instance, a straight jab is still thrown by flicking up on the right stick, with hooks and uppercuts executed by rolling the stick out and up. Body shots, on the other hand, take up the "lower half" of the right stick. So if you move the stick out to the left or right, you'll throw a left or right hook to the body. If you flick the stick to the "4" or "7" position, you'll throw body uppercuts. The only normal body shot that uses a modifier are body jabs, which are thrown by using the LT "duck" button and then a straight jab motion with the right stick. The tweaked system looks to make body/head combos easier to pull off, making your fighter a much more effective force in the ring.

Player movement has also been tweaked. The left stick still controls your boxer's movements around the ring, but if you flick left or right, or do a "hook" motion left or right, you'll be able to perform effective bobbing and weaving as you look to get inside your opponent. In fact, these kinds of tactics are especially effective for "inside" fighters like Tyson; as producers explained to us, the fighting system is sophisticated enough that you can execute one of Tyson's patented weaving dives toward an opponent and come up out of the crouch with a deadly uppercut."

-http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/fightnightround4/news.html?sid=6206056&tag=topslot;title;1http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/fightnightround4/news.html?sid=6206056&tag=topslot;title;1

/cream at the bold part

It plays at 60FPS, as opposed to the 30FPS that Round 3 was at.

Old
03-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Lenox Lewis ftw

That vid got me pumped for the vid...

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Absolutely desperate for this game. If I could pick up only one game this year it would be this one. Hope it delivers.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Duff88

I wish they went with options to play less arcade.

One-punch knockouts/one knockdown knockouts are a must IMO. It would add so much to know that whatever you do has a chance to comeback and haunt you. The energy bar IMO is outdated.

I also wish you could use the jab to control the fight from the outside. In previous instalments, the jab was pretty much useless. Fights ending in decision would also be welcomed, it gets a bit ridiculous to see every fight end in knockout.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I wish they went with options to play less arcade.

One-punch knockouts/one knockdown knockouts are a must IMO. It would add so much to know that whatever you do has a chance to comeback and haunt you. The energy bar IMO is outdated.

I also wish you could use the jab to control the fight from the outside. In previous instalments, the jab was pretty much useless. Fights ending in decision would also be welcomed, it gets a bit ridiculous to see every fight end in knockout.
From what I've read, there will be an option to play with HUD/bars on or off. If you have it on, there will be 3 bars. Health, stamina, and guard/blocking so that you can't just turtle all fight. I'll definitely be playing with no HUD. I'm pretty sure that a well-timed and well-placed punch can score you a knockdown. Punches can land all over the place, so there will be some grazers off the back of the head, lots of shots to the arms/gloves, ones that just touch the chin, etc... That fact alone makes it seem a lot better than the disappointing looking UFC game coming out, where it seems that everything you do either misses or lands clean, and every transition either works or gets countered.

I have to disagree about the jab though. In FN3, I was generally able to control the fight with a LOT of jabs, both against computers and against other players. The effect of having a jab parried was minimal, so I relied on that to dictate the pace and avoid getting countered.

Also, in terms of making it less arcade, there is no more button configuration. I think you HAVE to use the right stick. Not a problem for me since I love it, but I'm sure there will be some unhappy customers.

Old
03-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I hope they make fights last longer. I want decision fights to happen at least a good portion of the time, not just 4th round KOs.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:21 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I hope they make fights last longer. I want decision fights to happen at least a good portion of the time, not just 4th round KOs.
Not many people do it, but I play "sim" in FN3 with a few friends who also box. No parries or Sunday punches. There are still a decent amount of KO's/stoppages but we do go to decision about half the time.

Old
03-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Also if you want longer fights, use the lower weight class guys. Amongst my friends we have a few go the distance in those classes but as soon as you go heavyweight, well there is only so many of those heavyweight punches that the boxer can take.

Old
03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Also if you want longer fights, use the lower weight class guys. Amongst my friends we have a few go the distance in those classes but as soon as you go heavyweight, well there is only so many of those heavyweight punches that the boxer can take.
Also true. I liked to be PacMan and fight my friend as Frazier... If I took 5-6 good shots in a round I was on the verge of getting KO'd.

Old
03-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Evil Ted

Great game but it ruins controlers, they just cant stand up to the abuse.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClicheGuevara View Post
Looks incredible. I liked Round 3, but it was pretty much a parry-fest.
Yeah same here. I wish they'd release a viable UFC, MMA, Pride type game.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Victor Ortiz...

already in the game. great expectations.

I loved round 3 and will be buying this on release day.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah same here. I wish they'd release a viable UFC, MMA, Pride type game.
Well there is UFC 2009 Undisputed coming out in May. It looks horrible though, aside from the graphics.

Old
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
the one punch baby

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
I can still get a KO in 4 or 5 rounds. Light Heavy or Heavy I can end it in 2 or 3. My friends play very aggressively against me, which means I destroy them with Lacy or Frazier. Either way, I loved 3. I ended up beating the career mode 4 times to unlock all the shorts.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I can still get a KO in 4 or 5 rounds. Light Heavy or Heavy I can end it in 2 or 3. My friends play very aggressively against me, which means I destroy them with Lacy or Frazier. Either way, I loved 3. I ended up beating the career mode 4 times to unlock all the shorts.
Well the developers can only do so much to help even out you dominating your noob friends

Old
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Today they released a Physics Engine teaser... short but oh so sweet.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/sport...e-video-teaser

And they released most of the heavyweight roster last week...

Muhammad Ali (co-cover athlete)
Mike Tyson (co-cover athlete)
Lennox Lewis
Joe Frazier
James Toney
George Foreman
Eddie Chambers
*1 more to be announced; seems to be Tommy Morrison based on the following picture*

Gamespot released a bunch of screenshots as well, which is where the Morrison shot came from... They're here:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor..._below;thumb;1

Notice that in one picture, Lennox's trunks are White with Red trim, and in another, they're Red with White trim. Alternate trunks.

Last edited by yakitate304: 04-03-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Pretty lame that they can't put more heavyweights in, only one more spot but I want Marciano, Louis, Holyfield, the Klitschkos

Old
04-03-2009, 11:59 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Pretty lame that they can't put more heavyweights in, only one more spot but I want Marciano, Louis, Holyfield, the Klitschkos
I thought Marciano was confirmed already. Maybe I totally imagined that.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote