HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fight Night Round 4 (Game is Now Out, so go buy it and let me KYTFO)

Old
04-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
I thought Marciano was confirmed already. Maybe I totally imagined that.
Nope

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
Love how they made the blood look. I thought the release date was in December as well, guess not.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Love how they made the blood look. I thought the release date was in December as well, guess not.
June 30th is the estimated date.

I listened to "3 More Rounds Boxing Podcast" today. It was recorded a few days ago, and they had Francisco "El Gato" Figueroa on as a guest. He fought on Friday night on ESPN's "Friday Night Fights" against Randall Bailey in an IBF Title eliminator match.

Result of that fight:
Spoil:
Bailey dropped Figueroa in the first, Figueroa dropped Bailey in the second, and then in the fourth Bailey landed a nuclear bomb right hand, scoring probably the KO of the Year. I was pulling for El Gato, he's a nice guy. Hopefully it doesn't derail his career.

Anyways, also on that podcast was the Gameplay Producer from FNR4. They talked for a while, and while he couldn't give much away, he did reveal that his favorite boxer to play as that hasn't been announced yet is (paraphrasing) "a legend who scored one of the most brutal KO's with a right hand over another legend"... Which seems to point to it being Tommy "Hitman" Hearns (who KO'd Roberto Duran).

You can listen to the podcast here...

http://www.411mania.com/sports/boxin...ht-Round-4.htm

It's called "3 More Rounds Boxing Podcast -04-03"

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 02:46 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Buuuuuuuump. Added some new info in the first post.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Demo is now floating about the web and pre ordered people should have codes, anyone played the demo yet?

Old
05-15-2009, 03:58 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Demo is now floating about the web and pre ordered people should have codes, anyone played the demo yet?
Yeah, I pre-ordered and got the demo yesterday. There are issues, but in general it is badass.

Controls (if you're on the left side of the screen, using an orthodox fighter):

Left Stick - Move
Double tap Left Stick - Brief Dash
Left Stick (12 to 3 arc) - weave right
Left Stick (6 to 3 arc) - weave left

Left Trigger + Left Stick - Leaning/swaying/head movement

Right Stick - punching

Jab (head): ~11 o'clock
Jab (body): ~11 + LT/L1 (the lean button)
Straight (head): ~1
Straight (body): ~1 + LT/L1
Left Hook (head): 9 to 12 arc
Right Hook (head): 3 to 12 arc
Left Hook (body): 9
Right Hook (body): 3
Left Uppercut (head): 7 to 12 arc
Right Uppercut (head): 5 to 12 arc
Left Uppercut (body): 7
Right Uppercut (body): 5

Haymaker Modifier: RB/R2 (does not apply to jabs or straights)

Block High/Block Low: RT/R1 + Right Stick Up/Down

Signature Punch: A (360), X (PS3)
Clinch: Y, Triangle
Push (creates some space): X, Square
Headbutt/Low Blow: B, Circle

The bad:

-Footwork/footspeed is sluggish. Pacquiao and Hatton feel like heavyweights, trudging along rather than being able to pop in and out. Makes it very difficult to box, which promotes brawling on the inside.

-The animation and effect of straight punches make them look like arm punches that lack any pop. The fighters don't turn into them at all, which means you can spam 5 in a row. The dev team has said they have already addressed this in the time since the demo came out.

-The punch tracking that adjusts to target the opponent even if he is moving or swaying is too powerful. Punch connects were often in the 60-75% range for both fighters. This is made worse by...

-Head movement and leaning/swaying is stiff and robotic compared to Round 3. The range of motion is not very big at all, making it very difficult to avoid punches. This includes rope-a-dope, which also feels restricted compared to the last game.

-The "Push" button is good in small doses, but you can use it time after time after time without referee warnings

-Punches sometimes look like they have no effect... You can clock a guy with 5 hooks to the head and each time his head will move a little bit, and then return to starting position like nothing happened. When a fighter gets rocked he stumbles a bit, but far too many punches are able to land without a fighter showing the effects.

-Punches POP with the sound of a door closing every time, gets pretty excessive when every punch sounds like Pacquiao's KO shot on Hatton.

-Once again, Decisions are robbed of their drama and excitement because as soon as the fight is over it goes to an animation of whoever the winning fighter is, rather than showing the announcer announcing the scores and the winner's arm getting raised by the referee. For me, this is a really bad presentation issue that I hope they will fix.

The good:

-It is more difficult to score a knockout, even once you get the opponent dazed

-The Total Punch Control allows for fast (but not unrealistically fast) combination punching that can easily go from head to body and vice versa

-Collision detection is beautiful, both in terms of punches and in terms of inside fighting. Seeing an arm get caught on the back of the opponent's head after missing a hook, exposing that side of his body, is great. Glancing blows are also really well done.

-Push (when used within the limits of an actual boxing match) is a very nice addition, allowing you to create space for yourself if you are being swarmed, or to force an opponent against the ropes or into a corner.

-Commentary from Tessitore and the new addition of Teddy Atlas is great. Atlas in particular steals the show.

-Facial expressions during punches and while being hit are great.

-The A.I. Hatton will pressure you and get in close, while Pacquiao is more willing to trade at medium range, which is true to life.

-One punch KO's are rare but possible, as they should be.

Overall, the demo is somewhere between good and very good, but the dev team is already sorting out the issues being posted on EA's forum.

Old
05-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Just had a jam on the demo myself firstly and most importantly it was fun. The punches need to have more impact most of them seem pretty soft also was using Manny and I just threw punch after punch after punch throwing in haymakers as well and it seemed to just have very little effect on my stamina. I shouldn't have been able to throw as many punches as I was per round. The demo seems to be on a pretty easy difficulty since Hatton seemed quite content to eat repeated punches to the face. Hatton was also regularly pretty cut up after the 3 rounds, not sure if this is because there is an issue with players being cut too easily or if it's because he was just taking many more punches than a boxer on a higher difficulty would. Hatton would try to get in close but the lack of stamina going down + Mannys speed meant I could just throw flurries of punches and get out again very easily. Will have to try Hatton and see how it goes, I hate Hatton though

Old
05-16-2009, 11:21 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Just had a jam on the demo myself firstly and most importantly it was fun. The punches need to have more impact most of them seem pretty soft also was using Manny and I just threw punch after punch after punch throwing in haymakers as well and it seemed to just have very little effect on my stamina. I shouldn't have been able to throw as many punches as I was per round. The demo seems to be on a pretty easy difficulty since Hatton seemed quite content to eat repeated punches to the face. Hatton was also regularly pretty cut up after the 3 rounds, not sure if this is because there is an issue with players being cut too easily or if it's because he was just taking many more punches than a boxer on a higher difficulty would. Hatton would try to get in close but the lack of stamina going down + Mannys speed meant I could just throw flurries of punches and get out again very easily. Will have to try Hatton and see how it goes, I hate Hatton though
This is from the EA Forum, posted by the producer.

---

Update: 05-15-2009

Couple of quick things that I can speak about right away. First, for those interested timelines, the demo was locked down about 7 weeks ago in early, early April. As you might imagine, the final weeks of development is when a lot of the fine tuning and polishing gets completed. For example, off the top off my head:

1. Stamina. Stamina loss is a little higher and stamina regeneration is a little slower.

2. Punch connections. Landed punch collisions are cleaner and hit reactions have more intensity.

3. Cuts and Swelling. The onset is very fast in the demo. In the final version, depending on your susceptibility to damage you find that you might have several fights without incurring any significant damage - but then when it does happen, it really affects the way your fight plays out between rounds.

4. Punch Animations. Tweaks on many punches occurred after the demo was out the door to address performance/technique issues.

5. Gameplay Audio. The mix in the demo is not great and we know that. Lots of audio work was done in the final 6-7 weeks and it sounds much better.

6. Counter Punch Window. The counter window is roughly the same length, maybe a little shorter in the final version. But we tuned how often you can open it up. They don't happen as often overall.

7. AI Difficulty & Exploits. The final weeks were spent heavily invested in finding AI exploits like the hook spamming, body punch spamming, haymaker spamming, etc. It's tightened up quite a bit. Difficulty on the demo is pretty low, but we did that on purpose so people wouldn't get annihilated their first few fights.

8. Foot Speed & Locomotion. Little bit faster overall, but also behaves much better changing directions and maintaining distance to opponent when moving laterally.

9. HUD & Settings. There is an option to turn off HUD in final game. Options to change camera too. Gameplay sliders to adjust power, damage, speed and CPU behaviors.

10. Miscellaneous Hatton has his new tattoos. Shane Mosley's name is spelled correctly. As mentioned previously, several of the boxers overall ratings have been updated/balanced.

Old
05-28-2009, 01:26 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Demo is out as of today. D/L it on Live or PSN.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
as of 6:50 eastern time ( I think) it's not up on psn.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

http://www.gamingfront.net/news/634/...-round-4-demo/

Quote:
A playable three-round demo of Fight Night Round 4 will be available today on Xbox LIVE and the PlayStation Network, exclusively to gamers who pre-order Fight Night Round 4 through GameStop or EB Games. The demo will be available to all Xbox Gold Members on May 28th, and to PlayStation Network users and Xbox Silver members on June 4th.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

It was "available" about a day after the pre order guys got it

Old
05-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Saw Jiris Tlusty

True, but Jamie1 said it wasn't on PSN so I decided to post that.

Saw Jiris Tlusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 11:00 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
True, but Jamie1 said it wasn't on PSN so I decided to post that.
I thought both were released today. But yeah they should have released it on the first or something.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Hm, I didn't know the PSN wasn't getting it til then. It may be "punishment" to them because somebody released the pre-order demo two days early on PSN.

Old
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Real bummer that Marciano isn't confirmed.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
The Kult

after playing the demo I cant wait for this game.

The entire engine is completly different from FNR3.

well ok, not entire. But it takes a different aproach to how you fight. No more parry to haymakers all the time.

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Man this game is so freaken fun. I really like FNR3 and this one is even better!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Real bummer that Marciano isn't confirmed.
The positive is that there is going to be "GameFace", which was in the Tiger Woods series. You upload a photo or multiple photos to EASportsWorld.com and then you go into GameFace within Fight Night and it re-creates the face of the fighter. Here's an example of what some guy on EA's forum did with Carl Froch.

Also, there is a large "name database", so hopefully names like Marciano, De La Hoya, Mayweather, as well as a lot of common names will be able to be spoken by the commentators, rather than having to hear "Iceman!" or "Bad Intentions!" after everything you do.

Old
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
The positive is that there is going to be "GameFace", which was in the Tiger Woods series. You upload a photo or multiple photos to EASportsWorld.com and then you go into GameFace within Fight Night and it re-creates the face of the fighter. Here's an example of what some guy on EA's forum did with Carl Froch.

Also, there is a large "name database", so hopefully names like Marciano, De La Hoya, Mayweather, as well as a lot of common names will be able to be spoken by the commentators, rather than having to hear "Iceman!" or "Bad Intentions!" after everything you do.
That's awesome!

I'm sure on the EA Forums someone will make stats for Marciano, and others that aren't in the game. And good that they have name database. I hated in FNR3 whenever I wanted to created Mayweather Jr. I had to put him as "Bulldog" or some stupid ****. I'm extremely excited for this game.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Eric Sachs

June 25th release now.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Demo is awesome! The controls seem retooled. I don't know for the better yet. I kind of suck now, I'll get better though. Haha.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:01 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Demo is awesome! The controls seem retooled. I don't know for the better yet. I kind of suck now, I'll get better though. Haha.
It took me a while to get used to the new controls, but now I'm really precise with my punches and can string together 5-8 punch combos where each punch and movement is what I want to do. I had the demo on the 14th so I've had a bit of practice time.

Old
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
neofury*

Can't wait to get this game, will also likely pickup UFC, a friend is lending me his UFC before he goes to Cuba so I'll have ample time to decide if I like the game. As per FN4, demoing it up tonight.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
It took me a while to get used to the new controls, but now I'm really precise with my punches and can string together 5-8 punch combos where each punch and movement is what I want to do. I had the demo on the 14th so I've had a bit of practice time.
I like it better. My friends used to just do haymakers all day. It'll very hard now with the quickness of the controls.