HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fight Night Round 4 (Game is Now Out, so go buy it and let me KYTFO)

Old
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I don't like the training program. It takes way too long. I've only been good at one of the exercises.
It's much, much, much better than the training in Round 3 though.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
It's much, much, much better than the training in Round 3 though.
I could actually do those.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I don't like the training program. It takes way too long. I've only been good at one of the exercises.
Agreed. I like R3 better, in that aspect.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
I could actually do those.
They were incredibly lame though, cool lets just keep laying into some stupid dummy in front of you. I struggled with the round 4 training things initially, but persist and you will get there, I find them all relatively easy now. Which ones give you the most trouble? heavy bag combo, maize bag and the one where you have to stay on your feet are all really, really easy I found. The one that annoyed me most was the one where you push the bag a long the markings.

Last edited by Morozov: 06-29-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old
06-29-2009, 05:40 AM
sparr0w

Is anyone else getting obliterated by uppercuts? My fighters take 'em on the chin as if their livelihood depended on it...

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Is anyone else getting obliterated by uppercuts? My fighters take 'em on the chin as if their livelihood depended on it...
Can't say I am having trouble being hit with uppercuts but from my end they certainly seem to have become my go to punch aside from the jab. Uppercuts seem to slip through easily and often by people who just stand about blocking, try focus on getting your weave on to avoid them?

Old
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
They were incredibly lame though, cool lets just keep laying into some stupid dummy in front of you. I struggled with the round 4 training things initially, but persist and you will get there, I find them all relatively easy now. Which ones give you the most trouble? heavy bag combo, maize bag and the one where you have to stay on your feet are all really, really easy I found. The one that annoyed me most was the one where you push the bag a long the markings.
I suck at all of them, except the sparring lol. I'm letting it auto for me, cause I only get +1 when I try, they get me +3. So for now, I'll go with it.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I'm good at the Double End Bag (have scored over 25k a few times), Sparring, and the Combos. Pretty decent at the Maize Bag (which is my favorite training utility in real life) and Stay On Your Feet, but the Heavy Bag Push gives me trouble every once in a while. I've found that with the Push, it's best to really pace yourself with your punches - put a quarter second pause between each punch rather than just flailing away, so that you don't miss your target if it changes on you.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:59 PM
sparr0w

Holy Crap! Tyson suits me perfectly (I still need to perfect the whole bobbing and weaving part though as uppercuts still find me). I just tore through the amateur tourney.

1st match was fun. Between the 3rd and 4th rounds the trainer tells me I have to open up my hands, didn't realize I was down so far. Two knock downs later I barely eek out a majority decision (two 38-37s and a 37-37). 2nd match I score a KO in the 4th that was tied at 28-28 through 3 rounds (KD in the 2nd and outboxed in the 1st and 3rd). 3rd match was a rout. Two KDs in the 1st, another in the 2nd, and the fight ends in the 3rd. The final was a bit anticlimactic. 39-37 with no KDs (other guy was in a defensive shell the whole time).

I still need to develop patience and proper footwork and all that. I swing for the fences a lot. Not to mention defense. I can't seem to pick up the punches very well whereas the CPU can block high and low to match mine most of the time.

Old
06-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Wow Forman blows in Legacy mode. I KO'd him in the 3rd, then he asked for a rematch and I TKO'd him in the 7th.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Jefferson Rank*

This is quickly becoming a controller smashing game. What is it with EA and their sports games that you get completely dominated by AI and not your skill itself?

I don't mind a challenge, but when I counter punch and only land a normal jab, or I dodge and he counter punches his own throw - that's complete BS, or the way they can start blocking everything no matter what kind of combo you put together.... I don't want to go down a skill level because then it's too easy. Same deal with NHL and the fact you can't win a faceoff against the computer on Superstar mode.

Rant of the day. I'm hating this game more by the minute. That, and the entire fight being dependent on some "super punch" counter is ridiculous. Combos can be just as devastating in real life, but in this game they make no difference unless you put your chin out there for him to swing at first.

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
sparr0w

Man... if I ever have to go to a decision my winning streak is over.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Rank View Post
This is quickly becoming a controller smashing game. What is it with EA and their sports games that you get completely dominated by AI and not your skill itself?

I don't mind a challenge, but when I counter punch and only land a normal jab, or I dodge and he counter punches his own throw - that's complete BS, or the way they can start blocking everything no matter what kind of combo you put together.... I don't want to go down a skill level because then it's too easy. Same deal with NHL and the fact you can't win a faceoff against the computer on Superstar mode.

Rant of the day. I'm hating this game more by the minute. That, and the entire fight being dependent on some "super punch" counter is ridiculous. Combos can be just as devastating in real life, but in this game they make no difference unless you put your chin out there for him to swing at first.
agree agree agree

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:15 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:

I'm playing on GOAT in Legacy and don't think it's cheap. They're just more defensively and offensively aware. When they see your punches coming they're likely to block it, so you have to change things up. When they see a counter punch opportunity they take it. And as for "counter punching his own throw", sometimes you lean and avoid his punch, but if he has another coming behind it, and you move into it, it registers as a more impactful punch. It happens online as well.

I do agree that regular punches should have more of an impact, especially combinations. But it's not a controller masher unless you make it one. I dispatch the controller mashers and body-hook spammers I face online pretty easily by pushing away and keeping them at distance with a jab, then eat their ass once their stamina is shot. I've had a great time mimicking the styles of fighters, whether they're pressure fighters like Chavez, jabbers like Lennox, or just brute force momentum fighters like Morrison with his huge left hook.

And off topic... You can't win a faceoff on Superstar?

Old
07-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Jefferson Rank*

So you think it's normal in boxing for people to dodge an uppercut, land a shot to the body, 2 hooks to the face, a left to the chin, a shot to the body, and straight to the face - to get the damage of one opponent counter punch?

The game is pretty cool, but Round 3 was far more realistic. This one is complete BS. I don't know if the devs at EA actually watched Mike Tyson, but he didn't dodge and weave for 2 minutes until he got a "SUPER" counter punch.

The visuals are sick, but the realism is complete trash. You should be able to stalk your opponent and lay down a beating if you're Mike Tyson, not wait 4 rounds for counter punches.

Tell me one time in this real life Tyson collection he ducked and dodged for a KO? Or when he had to resort to counterpunching to stun a guy?

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 03:49 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
So you think it's normal in boxing for people to dodge an uppercut, land a shot to the body, 2 hooks to the face, a left to the chin, a shot to the body, and straight to the face - to get the damage of one opponent counter punch?

The game is pretty cool, but Round 3 was far more realistic. This one is complete BS. I don't know if the devs at EA actually watched Mike Tyson, but he didn't dodge and weave for 2 minutes until he got a "SUPER" counter punch.

The visuals are sick, but the realism is complete trash. You should be able to stalk your opponent and lay down a beating if you're Mike Tyson, not wait 4 rounds for counter punches.

Tell me one time in this real life Tyson collection he ducked and dodged for a KO? Or when he had to resort to counterpunching to stun a guy?
That's why they have haymakers. They look somewhat dumb when you throw them in singular shots but if you string them into combinations, it is deadly. Online, the only time I used Tyson, I knocked out Frazier in the first round by getting inside and linking regular hooks/uppercuts with the haymakers in combos while keeping head movement.

I understand what you're saying though. Regular punches should have more sting. But let's be serious, if Tyson could knock everybody out in 5 punches, there would be no point in playing anyone else. Or if everybody had knockout or stun power within a 4 punch combo, every fight would be a first round KO. You can always turn Punch damage up in the gameplay sliders though.

Round 3 was absolutely not more realistic than Round 4. Having to totally drain someone's health bar to even stun your opponent... Holding your arm up to magically parry a punch and freeze the guy for 3 seconds... An inability to hit a guy in the head if he is crouching down right in front of you...

Old
07-03-2009, 06:15 AM
CycloneLaunch

All i want to do is beat down Anthony Mundine

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:28 AM
sparr0w

So... I'm kind of disappointed that it appears any 2nd 3rd 4th etc... shot after the punch that triggers a knockdown doesn't seem to count at all. I've dropped some guys with a nasty hook and then added another absolutely crippling shot with the other hand as they go down. My last fight I bounced a guy off the ropes with the initial knock down shot and then nearly twisted his head off as he fell towards me. He got up on the 4 count...

Old
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post

Round 3 was absolutely not more realistic than Round 4. Having to totally drain someone's health bar to even stun your opponent... Holding your arm up to magically parry a punch and freeze the guy for 3 seconds... An inability to hit a guy in the head if he is crouching down right in front of you...
i knocked out someone in FNR4 last night with an uppercut that only skimmed the other boxer's glove. Pretty realistic if you ask me.

Old
07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
So... I'm kind of disappointed that it appears any 2nd 3rd 4th etc... shot after the punch that triggers a knockdown doesn't seem to count at all. I've dropped some guys with a nasty hook and then added another absolutely crippling shot with the other hand as they go down. My last fight I bounced a guy off the ropes with the initial knock down shot and then nearly twisted his head off as he fell towards me. He got up on the 4 count...
what also annoys me is that the type of punch you know someone out with realy has no effect either. A deadly uppercut or a haymaker shouldn't have the same knockout effect as a simple jab or straight.

Old
07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
I suck at all of them, except the sparring lol. I'm letting it auto for me, cause I only get +1 when I try, they get me +3. So for now, I'll go with it.
Same issues exactly. Frustrates the hell out of me. The problem is the controller isn't accurate enough for some of the things they want you to do, and this whole punch queue thing makes it even worse.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Same issues exactly. Frustrates the hell out of me. The problem is the controller isn't accurate enough for some of the things they want you to do, and this whole punch queue thing makes it even worse.
Not trying to insult you or anything, but the issue isn't the controller being inaccurate, it's you. Don't use the "punch queue" ever, either in training or in fights, because they make you waste punches. Every training game is Champion-able if you pick your punches rather than queuing them up for max output, even in the first few training sessions in Legacy.

Old
07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Yeah you can't be blaming the controller and some supposed lack of accuracy unless your particular controller is broken. I have championed each training session now (not that I always champion each of them) so it is you not the controller.

Old
07-03-2009, 10:21 PM
sparr0w

I may have had a nearly perfect fight. 20 punches landed for, 4 punches landed against. Off the opening bell slipped a punch and dropped him with a beauty upper cut. Then promptly walked him into a corner wailing away with hooks to the head and body. They should really have tiimes listed for the stoppages. Couldn't have been much more than 30 seconds and that's including the 7 count of the first knockdown.

I love this game. Sometimes I hate it, but I love it. I loathe the heavy-bag push.

Old
07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
I may have had a nearly perfect fight. 20 punches landed for, 4 punches landed against. Off the opening bell slipped a punch and dropped him with a beauty upper cut. Then promptly walked him into a corner wailing away with hooks to the head and body. They should really have tiimes listed for the stoppages. Couldn't have been much more than 30 seconds and that's including the 7 count of the first knockdown.

I love this game. Sometimes I hate it, but I love it. I loathe the heavy-bag push.
Was this online or offline? Either way, nice job.

I recently scored an online KO that reminded me of this:

Guy was coming forward with Hearns, I was Hagler. In the first round I pinned him on the ropes and stayed totally inside with some slow, methodical body work leading to some uppercuts to the chin - reminiscent of Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo or Merqui Sosa vs Prince Charles Williams or what Tyson and Gross were doing in the first round there. I won the round pretty easily. In the second he came out slinging. I just kept my range, blocked most of his punches while avoiding some others, and let him keep throwing. I passed up two or three counter opportunities because I wanted to let him get even more reckless, and once his punches started to slow down, I moved out of the way of a straight right and unloaded a PERFECT left uppercut haymaker (Hagler's a southpaw) dead on his chin as he followed up with a left hook. One hit KO.

edit: and props to Reggie Gross for going out on his shield. Not many had the balls to actually fight back against Tyson when he was young and still had his speed.