HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fight Night Round 4 (Game is Now Out, so go buy it and let me KYTFO)

Old
07-03-2009, 11:20 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
It's a very rare game that I play online. No way I'd ever go online on a console. Don't have the patience to deal with all the bs.

That and I'm still learning. Just now becoming comfortable with Championship level. I've restarted my legacy with a bit more tactical development (ie 2 training sessions between fights and not always taking the highest ranked available opponent) so I don't fly up the rankings too fast. With my Tyson career I ran into a brick wall as I had a rating of 70 trying to take out "real" fighters that were in the upper 80s/90s. Ranked 18th with a 71 rating is bad. With my new created fighter (a bit taller and heavier than Tyson but similarly styled) I'm sitting around 22 with a rating of 80 right now.

I'm a straight up brawler. Very rarely make it into the 3rd or 4th round. My stamina's at 95 and I swing for the fences. I've had a 2nd round KO where I was dropped twice myself in the 1st round.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Not trying to insult you or anything, but the issue isn't the controller being inaccurate, it's you. Don't use the "punch queue" ever, either in training or in fights, because they make you waste punches. Every training game is Champion-able if you pick your punches rather than queuing them up for max output, even in the first few training sessions in Legacy.
Right, that's why everyone plays Fighting games with the 360 stick and not the PS3 D-Pad, because the stick is oh so accurate. I might need more practice, but the stick is a piece of **** and the controll scheme for this game makes it worse. The difference in motions between hook and uppercut isn't large enough that there won't be mis-imputs and it amplifies the fact that the joystick was designed for sports games and not fighters.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Right, that's why everyone plays Fighting games with the 360 stick and not the PS3 D-Pad, because the stick is oh so accurate. I might need more practice, but the stick is a piece of **** and the controll scheme for this game makes it worse. The difference in motions between hook and uppercut isn't large enough that there won't be mis-imputs and it amplifies the fact that the joystick was designed for sports games and not fighters.
Works fine for me.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I don't know, I mean there is a learning curve especially if you are used to FNR3's controls, but I'm an outside fighter and rely on precision combos in 2-4 punches, and I can't think of any fights recently where I threw the wrong punches. The first day or two I had the demo it took some getting used to but I really think that it's a fine system.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 02:29 AM
norrisnick

Eh, the stick can get a bit sloppy at times, but it doesn't really change anything with the way I fight. The biggest issue is the ****-ups in the training. Particularly the two heavy bag ones. Try to hook low to push the bag an it turns out a hook high. Or in the combo training where you mean to uppercut low and it registers a hook. Not cool, IMO.

So anyone have a fighter drop out on them yet? I had a major whiskey tango foxtrot moment just now. I was ranked 15th and was scheduled to fight a slight (5'11" 207lb) speed demon that was ranked 14th. Do the training and all that and hit FIGHT and after it sims up to fight night suddenly a pop up is there. So and so had to pull out so he's been replaced with the #8 fighter. Only option to click is "ok". Seriously? Not even a chance for a scouting report? I watch the walk-ins to see the guy and in enters a flipping brick ****house. 6'1" 260lb and completely ripped. And man oh man can he take a punch. He was eating hooks and uppercuts for 3 rounds until I dented him. Knocked him down, he knocked me down 20 seconds later. I finished him in the next round.

What other sorts of craziness can I expect? I've been called out, called out on short notice, and now had a last second opponent switch. Oh and wasn't there something in a tutorial or opening video about moving up in gyms/trainers and the like? When does that happen?

Old
07-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Again, many others are coping fine so you are the one struggling not the poor controls. Trying to lump this in the category of fighters to be a long side the likes of Street Fighter and Soul Calibur makes absolutely no sense at all. Let me guess you were one of those button using scrubs in the past yes? time to step your game up buddy rather than blaming the stick that others are having no problem with. You whine about the stick for training, I have championed every training drill with the stick, either A your controller is broken or B you need to up your skills. I have zero problems in the difference between hooks and uppercuts.

Don't want to sound like I am gods gift to FN4, no doubt there are thousands of people that would obliterate me, but the training drills and being able to throw a hook or uppercut on command really isn't that hard.

and in regards to the bold, almost anyone who plays any of the major fighters at a reasonably competitive level uses neither the 360 control stick nor the dpad.

Last edited by Morozov: 07-04-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:18 AM
norrisnick

Wow... comeback of the century. Losing 60-52 on all 3 scorecards. Knocked down twice already. Successfully defend the title via TKO. Eddie Chambers was using his face as bait for his counter-attack. It was a relatively effective strategy as he was kicking my ass. His face just couldn't hold up.

Old
07-06-2009, 08:27 PM
norrisnick

They made my fighter retire.

Time to start one on GOAT...

Old
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Jefferson Rank*

I got all fed up with it a while back, just put it on rookie and jacked the sliders all the way up in my legacy, just knocking people out with insane speed. 20 seconds tops.

Anyway, I started fighting on Fight Now on Champion, and was amazed at how much I actually learned by acting like an idiot. Without knowing it and punching at that rate of speed I'm able to pinpoint just deadly combos now on a regular mode. If there's an opening, I'm punching it.

Started a Champion legacy of Mike Tyson. It's hard, but still haven't lost yet. Not trying to rip up the ranks like I did last time but take more time to train and develop him. The only training I'm dominant at is the heavy bag push, so I have this deadly right hand and the stamina of a horse. Now slowly building the rest to catch up. A lot more fun now that I know what I'm doing instead of my first frustrating go around of the game.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Finished unifying the belts. Beat Eric Morales who's a 95 with my 84 Yuriorkis Gamboa, time to go on GOAT soon after I finish this career. BTW, speaking of the controller, I've had a body uppercut register as a jab in training, so maybe my controller is broken. And Morozov, I'm aware sticks are better than controllers, but I can't exactly use a stick on this game, now can I? The whole double joystick thing kinda prohibs that. BTW, I played 3 with a stick as well so how about you shut the **** up, k? Kinda annoys me that a bunch of ****wads are arguing with me when I tell them that my imputs are not comming out the way I put them in. It's not me being a moron and not pushing the stick right, it's just not coming out the right way all the time.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 07:59 PM
norrisnick

1st round KO with 8 punches landing. The 5'4" 100lb Big Ben Murray packs a whallop! My opponent ducked into two haymakers. No stun phase, just down in a heap. Granted I had a 34% connect rate as I was flurrying him into a defensive shell. Stepped back and unleashed the fury right as he dropped his hands to peak out.

7(6)-0 in GOAT so far.

Old
07-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Finished unifying the belts. Beat Eric Morales who's a 95 with my 84 Yuriorkis Gamboa, time to go on GOAT soon after I finish this career. BTW, speaking of the controller, I've had a body uppercut register as a jab in training, so maybe my controller is broken. And Morozov, I'm aware sticks are better than controllers, but I can't exactly use a stick on this game, now can I? The whole double joystick thing kinda prohibs that. BTW, I played 3 with a stick as well so how about you shut the **** up, k? Kinda annoys me that a bunch of ****wads are arguing with me when I tell them that my imputs are not comming out the way I put them in. It's not me being a moron and not pushing the stick right, it's just not coming out the right way all the time.
If it's not coming out the right way your controller is broken or you are doing it wrong, simple as that. Keep practicing and get it right rather than sitting here hurling abuse about.

Either that or I just have some special version of the game different to yours where it doesn't happen, or I am just so super awesome that it can't happen to me. Both of these I doubt.

Old
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Downloaded the demo, never played a boxing game before. Liked the demo, a lot, bought the game. Having a blast!

My friend's coming over tomorrow, gonna kick his ass.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

EA are caving in and releasing button punching as DLC

Old
07-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
EA are caving in and releasing button punching as DLC
Lame.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Jefferson Rank*

Online will just become even more unbearable.

Why can't people just learn to use the sticks? I mean it feels more natural to control his movements rather than just button mashing. I like pinpointing my punches.

Jefferson Rank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I just won my first fight! I lost in the amateur tournament to a 2-1 decision, but now I've discovered how I can just wear a guy down with my jab (I'm a welterweight). It was tough in the first 3 rounds of my first pro fight, but then I started using the jab more and it just opened him up to my right hooks. But I don't do a lot of damage, and I start throwing errant punches when they're dazed. So I predict I'll have some decisions.

edit: So now I'm 4-1 and it's all decisions. I have one KO from my first fight, and since then I'm just wearing them out. I'm actually worse in the short 6 round fights, but in the 10 rounders I clean up and have it in the bag by round 7-8 or so.

Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 07-12-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Once you have gone further through the training, specifically the ones where you increase hand power, you should start seeing a few knockouts.

Old
07-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Quote:
Once you have gone further through the training, specifically the ones where you increase hand power, you should start seeing a few knockouts.
The only thing I can do better than bum is the dodge bag.

Shotgun Morgan is now 7-1 with a huge close victory. He knocked me down twice early, but I wore him down and took him down in the 9th and 10th for the decision!

Old
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Must be my fighting style, but I had a 5'4" 100lb flyweight register knockouts like they were going out of style. I only won a single fight via decision and there were a combined 6 KDs in that fight. Retired him at 50-something and 2 I believe.

I don't throw jabs. Or counters even. Just stick and move with the big hook.

Old
07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

I HAVE TASTED DEFEAT!

After reeling off like 8 wins in a row, I got challenged by a black man who called me a punk, and played a back and forth 10 rounder against him. Judge one gave it to him, 95-94... Judge 2 gave it to me 95-94... Judge 3 gave it to him 95-94. NOOOOOOOOO

Old
07-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

I think I've reached the end of my ability. At very least, I can't win a fight where the other guy has a reach advantage, and since my guy is 5'8, that's always the case. My outside game is pretty good, I've had wins where I've taken every round, but when I fight a guy with a 4 inch reach advantage I just get taken to the cleaners. When I have to push the offense, I just fall apart, mostly due to my weak punching.

I believe Shotgun Morgan has met his peak at 17-4 after two straight losses.

Old
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Must be my fighting style, but I had a 5'4" 100lb flyweight register knockouts like they were going out of style. I only won a single fight via decision and there were a combined 6 KDs in that fight. Retired him at 50-something and 2 I believe.

I don't throw jabs. Or counters even. Just stick and move with the big hook.
Yeah no doubt you can still get knockouts early in the legacy mode just saying that if they aren't coming then you should be able to get more of them when your hand strength increases.

Would very much have a lot to do with style, I think the words "I don't throw jabs" probably explains why your fights end up the day they do

Old
07-14-2009, 07:21 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Yeah no doubt you can still get knockouts early in the legacy mode just saying that if they aren't coming then you should be able to get more of them when your hand strength increases.

Would very much have a lot to do with style, I think the words "I don't throw jabs" probably explains why your fights end up the day they do
It's just so satisfying to destroy the left side of my opponent's face. And playing on GOAT with all the sliders all the way up (for both my guy and the AI) a jab is just as likely to get countered as anything else so you may as well swing for the fences. If I go 4-5 stick and moves without hitting anything but glove I sometimes mix in a jab/hook combo to see if that gets through. The AI's blocking ability is just ridiculous.

Duck and weavers are by far my most hated opponent. If you mis-time that hook you are left hanging with an uppercut counter coming but quick. In my last legacy before the current one, Tyson dropped me 5 times in 2 and a half rounds in my first title attempt. Humbling to say the very least.

Old
07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
I think I've reached the end of my ability. At very least, I can't win a fight where the other guy has a reach advantage, and since my guy is 5'8, that's always the case. My outside game is pretty good, I've had wins where I've taken every round, but when I fight a guy with a 4 inch reach advantage I just get taken to the cleaners. When I have to push the offense, I just fall apart, mostly due to my weak punching.

I believe Shotgun Morgan has met his peak at 17-4 after two straight losses.
Tall guys you have to commit to the body and mix in a generous dose of uppercuts. And if your punching is weak, attack the heavy bag in training. That's what it's there for.