HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this team capable of playing a perfect game?

Old
03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
nyrangersfan39

vCash: 500
Is this team capable of playing a perfect game?

First "nice" win against the Habs but it should've been over after NYR scored the 3rd goal.

Now, as much as I love Henk, I'm so sick of D's inconsistency and soft goals. Is this team really capable of putting together one nearly perfect game? His shutouts been decreased so much that I'll be shocked if he even gets one more this year. It p.os me off. when Henks playing well, D breaks down. This happened numerous times thus preventing him from getting a shutout.

Vice versa, when D's playing well, Henk just lets in a soft one like he did against the Habs. Granted, bad play by Drury, but as a goalie, you have to stop that. If this is like the rare occasion I won't be as mad. Bad goals go in period. But, this has been one of the themes this year; even Lehtonen, Hillier, Quick, Anderson, Mason have more SOs than Henk.

I just would like to witness this team playing a nearly perfect game at least once b4 the playoffs (if they can make it). Perhaps against the Sens when I'm at the game with my #30 sweater

nyrangersfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

No team is perfect. Ever. Don't forget that there's another team out there trying just as hard to win as the Rangers. Every time montreal came back, the Rangers responded and got the 2 points. That's all that really matters.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan39 View Post
First "nice" win against the Habs but it should've been over after NYR scored the 3rd goal.

Now, as much as I love Henk, I'm so sick of D's inconsistency and soft goals. Is this team really capable of putting together one nearly perfect game? His shutouts been decreased so much that I'll be shocked if he even gets one more this year. It p.os me off. when Henks playing well, D breaks down. This happened numerous times thus preventing him from getting a shutout.

Vice versa, when D's playing well, Henk just lets in a soft one like he did against the Habs. Granted, bad play by Drury, but as a goalie, you have to stop that. If this is like the rare occasion I won't be as mad. Bad goals go in period. But, this has been one of the themes this year; even Lehtonen, Hillier, Quick, Anderson, Mason have more SOs than Henk.

I just would like to witness this team playing a nearly perfect game at least once b4 the playoffs (if they can make it). Perhaps against the Sens when I'm at the game with my #30 sweater

Valid point and something I thought about during that 3rd period.

That said, my advice: don't sweat small details this time of year.

And remember the Avs' game btw?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
No. There may be a handful of "perfect games" each year, and I don't think this team is capable of throwing one.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
ThirdEye

Seriously, don't expect any perfect games when you're playing a team battling for the playoffs.. and especially Montreal at the Bell.

Little adversity can't hurt

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Unk

I think I'm more impressed seeing this team win an imperfect game than a perfect game. Something like say, a 3-1 regulation win or one of those 7-0 wonders would've been nice, but as ThirdEye says, adversity doesn't work; it'll help team in the long run. The team's gotta win those tough games like this, just a pity we had to go through a shootout.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Excluding Lundqvist, that was one of the most perfect games a team could play.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Can't call it perfect with so many 2 on 1's against.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
Can't call it perfect with so many 2 on 1's against.
Recoveries were perfect. Scoring chances were down tremendously with extreme high offensive pressure countered.

I agree there were one-too-many 2-on-1's, however, that's the system the team is going to play.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
We committed some silly turnovers, took some bad penalties and got caught out of position leading to numerous odd-man rushes. Teams get a lot closer to perfection than what we just saw.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We committed some silly turnovers, took some bad penalties and got caught out of position leading to numerous odd-man rushes. Teams get a lot closer to perfection than what we just saw.
You can blame Mr. McReary for that. Or the Montreal fans.

Calls were heavily favored for Montreal tonight.

Old
03-17-2009, 09:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
You can blame Mr. McReary for that. Or the Montreal fans.

Calls were heavily favored for Montreal tonight.
An obvious high-stick on Redden. A blatant trip by Gomez. A puck shot over the glass in our own end. How are those penalties the fault of anyone but ourselves?

Old
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Recoveries were perfect. Scoring chances were down tremendously with extreme high offensive pressure countered.
Girardi got schooled on that second goal... and Kovalev was left absolutely alone on that goal he scored. He practically the only one on that side of the ice.

I thought offensively they played a perfect game, but defensively they were almost there but not quite.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
An obvious high-stick on Redden. A blatant trip by Gomez. A puck shot over the glass in our own end. How are those penalties the fault of anyone but ourselves?
While those penalties might be obvious fouls, Montreal commited quite a few themselves on very similar plays that went unnoticed. Avery elbow anyone? Drury interference? High stick on Girardi? Goalie Interference on whatever-the-frenchies name is up there?

Old
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
While those penalties might be obvious fouls, Montreal commited quite a few themselves on very similar plays that went unnoticed. Avery elbow anyone? Drury interference? High stick on Girardi? Goalie Interference on whatever-the-frenchies name is up there?
I'm not disputing that. I'm saying we weren't perfect, and pretty far from it actually.

Look, it was a good win. A good, but slightly sloppy win.

Old
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Girardi got schooled on that second goal... and Kovalev was left absolutely alone on that goal he scored. He practically the only one on that side of the ice.

I thought offensively they played a perfect game, but defensively they were almost there but not quite.
Kovalev goal was natural talent. Brilliant pass. Wish we had someone who could do that. Nobody to blame there.

Girardi to blame for that particular one.

And the third one, my oh my... Lundqvist. Not all star caliber there.

Old
03-18-2009, 07:56 AM
94now

Quote:
Kovalev goal was natural talent. Brilliant pass. Wish we had someone who could do that. Nobody to blame there.
Except he beat Henke on short side right above the glove. Bad goal. The only excuse i could make is that he was moving and didn't have enough time to set, but good goalies have enough time and Henrick is the one.

Quote:
Girardi to blame for that particular one.
Blame Dan for what, again? For another goal above the glove his goalie let? Henrick was square to the shooter. Any other goalie in the league would catch that. It is not easy for any shooter to hit top right corner, but if you did, you've got the goal against Rangers most of the time. That's how it is now. We are fortunate that Kostitsin miss that corner in the SO, he was clearly going there and had a green light from our famous G.

Quote:
And the third one, my oh my... Lundqvist. Not all star caliber there.
That goal wasn't a big deal, IMO. Just happen in very inappropriate time. Stuff like that happens, but unlike high glove let down it will not reoccur any time soon.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Considering we never leave Montreal with a point, the end results we're right on the money this time of year.

This is not a perfect team, big shocker there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote