HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank You Carey!! I Appreciate You!

Old
03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
The 2nd goal he whiffed, and he wasn't spread enough for the 3rd.

This isn't about Lundqvist.

And why not?
He didn't give the team a chance for the extra point.
He most certainly did give them a chance at an extra point, the whole third period and overtime they just did not score.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
The Rocket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As a Rangers fan, Price looked pretty damn good last night. Yeah maybe he could have had that second goal, but it was a really strange shot that handcuffed him. Lundqvist let in a pretty weird, and soft, goal as well, so whatever...it happens.

He played well
it was a knuckler off of Plekanec`s stick

The Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Montreal did play a good game......a gritty game that they should've won.
Teams don't come back from being down 3 different times very often. That was a determined effort.

Let's face it, they have been giving up a boat load of shots lately, and it'll probably continue.
They need a goalie who can handle the pressure.
Why is that even remotely acceptable? If this team is ok with being crap defensively and hang either of the goalies out to dry on a nightly basis then something is amiss in Habland. No self respecting team would be alright with giving up 40 plus a night. We have two very capable young goalies. Both have shown they can play in "pressure situations"in the past. The problem with this team is not the Goaltending, far from it. Just suppose you used the the same mentality and say the goalies decided that since there is going to be a boatload of shots then they would give up 1 goal for every ten shots and the rest of the team can deal with it?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:31 AM
timbitca

Exactly. No goaltender, no not even Brodeur or Roy would win consistently with their teams giving up 40+ shots on goal per game. It's rather really simple when you think about it. Goaltenders want to be busy during a game, but there's a certain limit too...

You even up the shots 42-42 last night and the Habs likely have another 2 goals and we're not having this discussion.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
You Carey apologists are truely amazing.

A goalie that will take the team to the promised land does not let in #2 and #3 last night.

And the shootout?
Embarrissing.

Carey folded up like a cheap suitcase.

I couldn't agree with you more. One minute people are saying that he is the future of this team and that he is capable of being a #1 goalie right now and capable of leading the Habs deep into the playoffs and the next minutes people are defending him and saying that its gonna take time for him to develop and be sensational every game he plays.

Well which is it??? Is he our man NOW or is he going to be our man next year or the year after?

One thing I do know....Halak should be starting the majority of the games until the playoffs and he should be the go to guy until the season is over. Halak isn't letting in those weak goals that Price is. Those weak goals are what kill the teams momentum. The team gets a little energy and puts the pressure on the other team and then all of a sudden Price lets a dribbler in from the blueline and the team is back to clawing back so they can tie a team.

We need a goalie who is going to stop those easy shots and who is going to step up when the team needs him. The players can't forecheck and play offensive hockey and take chances when they know Price is back there and will let in a back-breaking goal that kills their momentum.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post

I couldn't agree with you more. One minute people are saying that he is the future of this team and that he is capable of being a #1 goalie right now and capable of leading the Habs deep into the playoffs and the next minutes people are defending him and saying that its gonna take time for him to develop and be sensational every game he plays.

Well which is it??? Is he our man NOW or is he going to be our man next year or the year after?

One thing I do know....Halak should be starting the majority of the games until the playoffs and he should be the go to guy until the season is over. Halak isn't letting in those weak goals that Price is. Those weak goals are what kill the teams momentum. The team gets a little energy and puts the pressure on the other team and then all of a sudden Price lets a dribbler in from the blueline and the team is back to clawing back so they can tie a team.
Halak let in a pretty bad goal on Saturday.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Teams don't come back from being down 3 different times very often. That was a determined effort.
Let's face it, they have been giving up a boat load of shots lately, and it'll probably continue.
Ye so determined that they only had 5 shots in the 3rd period and were lucky to score a flukey 3rd goal on Lundqvist..they looked determined alright..determined to lose.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Markovskaya

Definitly. He has been solid. Halak too !

Good job boys thx god you're here !

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:51 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Halak let in a pretty bad goal on Saturday.
Bingo. People seem to forget that. The 2nd goal against Halak was probably worse then the 2nd one last night. Now i'm not bashing Halak, I like our two goaltenders equally and Carey was mostly good during the game last night and awful during the shootout..no excuses. But it seems its fashionable these days to be either pro Halak or pro Price...Seems like Halak may be stronger between the ears right now then Price, but I think both our very YOUNG goalies have been doing pretty damn well lately in these circumstances..

Old
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
otto bond

Quote:
The 2nd goal he whiffed, and he wasn't spread enough for the 3rd.

This isn't about Lundqvist.

And why not?
He didn't give the team a chance for the extra point.
The habs bearly touched the puck last night. I guess that the goalie will be look for to handle the puck and make brake out passes.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
I appreciate Price. But he, me, and all of you want him to be at his best or at his best for the most time possible...Fact remains, yes, you are right he is NOT a gamebraker at all. His performances over all since the all star break can be fairly described as AVERAGE. Our D...Below Average at best...so this does not help Price in his and our cause...

Well the D is the Worst in the league Right now...Calamity after calamity...Although...Tuesday we scored 3 beautiful high quality goals...playing catch up hockey and constantly trying to claw back from our back foot rather than from a position of advantage...You are right is has been an embarrassing breakdown but as a realist there is no hope, after all that has been said and done...29 other teams are proving to be working harder and much more interested in making the playoffs right now...Right now it pains me to say this but the Montreal Canadiens are playing to be the first people on the Green on your local golf course...

Montreal Canadiens...coming to a golf course near you!
He played bad for about ten games...ala high angle sprain. In his last 5 games here are his stats

3-1-1
2.30 GAA
.939 %

.....you are just flat out on drugs if you think that is average!!!! If the Los Angeles Kings had carey right now they would be in a safe position for playoffs. The habs just suck right now minus plekanec and our goalies

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
He played bad for about ten games...ala high angle sprain. In his last 5 games here are his stats

3-1-1
2.30 GAA
.939 %

.....you are just flat out on drugs if you think that is average!!!! If the Los Angeles Kings had carey right now they would be in a safe position for playoffs. The habs just suck right now minus plekanec and our goalies
The stats can be spun many different ways.......probably all valid.

But one thing that can't be spun.

Price embarrassed himself in the shootout.

Valrico Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Habblues

I thought all 3 goals were good goals and not the fault of Price.He gave them a chance to win PERIOD !!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
FrankMTL

[QUOTE=Valrico Gold;18589472]The stats can be spun many different ways.......probably all valid.

Price embarrassed himself in the shootout.[/QUOTE]

And i'm sure it'll happen again at one point. He's a very young goaltender and he's gonna make mistakes. Get used to it and stop over reacting.

Old
03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
The stats can be spun many different ways.......probably all valid.

Price embarrassed himself in the shootout.
The only embarrassing thing about the shootout is the fact that it exists.

I don't take anything that happens during any of those debacles seriously, and you shouldn't either. The important part is what happens during the real game, and Price has been outstanding in those as of late.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
shealy04

Quote:

You lost all credibility for me when you said that "the Habs played a good game" and "we need a goalie that can handle the pressure of getting a boat load of shots a game." At this point it's obvious that you are just flaming Price because you are trying in every way possible to pin this on him.

A) You said the Habs played well but B) we need a goalie that can routinely handle 40+ shots. If the boys are playing well, why are we allowing a boat load of shots every game?

Give me a break.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Hermamoud

I don't understand how people can still find a way to blast Price on a Carey Price appreciation thread. There is a thread that was started just for that, let the people who support him discuss his impressive play.

I think that he played very well. If only the D stopped letting through 40-ish shots per game, maybe Price would have had a better chance stopping them. Price is doing his possible, but his team isn't giving him the chance (if only Komisarek gave as much emotion during the play than during the stoppages and on the penalty box camera, we'd be a lot better).

As for the shootout, I admit that he was pretty weak on Antropov's goal, but I think Naslund's move got him fooled, cuz he did try a backhand deke but shot in the middle instead of top shelf. And for Drury's goal, before people harp on Melanson corrupting him, he got in the same standup position as when he stopped Mueller in the SO against the USA. Maybe if he got down on his butterfly (as many people imply that Melanson is brainwashing that technique in his head) his 5-hole would have been covered and Drury wouldn't have scored.

Again, the guy's 21 years old, playing on the most cutthroat hockey market in the world, and he probably has more pressure on his shoulders right now than any of us have ever had in our lives. One shootout loss makes him a bantam or minor league player? One shootout win and people would be removing the dust and the cobwebs on their folding chairs for the parade.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
You lost all credibility for me when you said that "the Habs played a good game" and "we need a goalie that can handle the pressure of getting a boat load of shots a game." At this point it's obvious that you are just flaming Price because you are trying in every way possible to pin this on him.

A) You said the Habs played well but B) we need a goalie that can routinely handle 40+ shots. If the boys are playing well, why are we allowing a boat load of shots every game?

Give me a break.
Relative to recent outings, last night was a gritty effort.

As I mentioned.
Any team down 3X's, and coming back to tie each time, was determined to win.

I also mentioned the "boat load of shots will continue".

Time to take the blinders off, that won't change this year.

What can change is using a goalie who doesn't embarrass the team (Price in the shootout).

Valrico Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Relative to recent outings, last night was a gritty effort.

As I mentioned.
Any team down 3X's, and coming back to tie each time, was determined to win.

I also mentioned the "boat load of shots will continue".

Time to take the blinders off, that won't change this year.

What can change is using a goalie who doesn't embarrass the team (Price in the shootout).
I honestly don't see much of a difference between last night's game and the one against the Devils on Saturday. Lundqvist's spotty goaltending and the fact that New Jersey is a much better team, is the reason the results were somewhat different. The Habs weren't very "Gritty" at all if you ask me and the Habs 3rd goal was gift wrapped..they didn't really work for it.

Old
03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Ryan O'Byrne

well I think Carey played great ,and the one weak looking goal was a knuckle puck that looked to change direction and curve as it went towards the net . I'm not sure but it looked like he put his glove up to catch it and that blocked his view for a split second and the knuckle puck changed direction that split second and beat him. So those who say he played bad and let in bad goals need to rethink what a bad goal is lol take markovs now that was a bad goal ,and I don't think knuckle puck going in is even close to that bad .

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
bluetib

I am questioning Price's mental toughness, and i think everyone should do so, it all started against the Bruins in the finals last year,
again yesterday it was so obvious yesterday all three Rangers scored on their shootout chances...

bluetib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
smon

Quote:
You Carey apologists are truely amazing.

A goalie that will take the team to the promised land does not let in #2 and #3 last night.

And the shootout?
Embarrissing.

Carey folded up like a cheap suitcase.
Agreed. I don't blame Price solely for it though, but these are the kinds of games a team needs their goalie to steal. But why have the Canadiens always been (at least in recent years) a team that gives up so many shots and needs a goalie to consistently steal them games? You can't build a successful team on that. But ever since Theodore it seemed like it's been this way.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post

Uh...do you know what growing pains are?

Doesn't mean that Crosby was horrid defensively and lacked a lot of elements in his game to be an all-around great pro that he wasn't a solid #1 center in 05-06.

Goalie mistakes are blown out of proportion because of the result. Carey's a good number 1 right now, but he's gonna be an elite one later on.

And goaltenders tend to be streaky. Look at Halak and how bad he was in january. Under .890% in SP and our offense having to score 4-5 a game over a long stretch?

Na, if Halak had played like he did back then, he'd be choking up 5-6-7 a game right now. Had our team been this bad when he was struggling, same result (obvioulsy). His recent hot streak has made too many people forget he's not a better starter over a long period.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Axeshun

Why are the fans of this team so bipolar? It's ridiculous.

Can anyone honestly tell me if there are any other teams in the league in which the fans constantly argue about who should be the number 1 goalie?

Axeshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:02 PM
shealy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiKostitsyn74 View Post
Why are the fans of this team so bipolar? It's ridiculous.

Can anyone honestly tell me if there are any other teams in the league in which the fans constantly argue about who should be the number 1 goalie?
The funny thing is the argument is really only amongst fans... it's pretty obvious who the team wants as their # 1 guy moving forward.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote