HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalies, what style do you play?

View Poll Results: What style do you play
Butterfly 3 23.08%
Butterfly-Hybrid 6 46.15%
Stand Up-Hybrid 4 30.77%
Stand Up 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Goalies, what style do you play?

with all this talk about styles lately, which style do you guys play?

im going to include 4 categories because some hybrid goalies lean more toward butterfly and some toward standup

me, im a hybrid standup

i really dont butterfly alot. i half butterfly in which my right pad is on the ice and my left leg is vertical. i make kicks saves, and not these butterfly kick saves, but kick saves that kick the shot hard against the boards. i throw my leg out when i make glove saves. i put my paddle on the ice and one leg down the other half down for scrambles around the net. i react to shots, i dont go down in a stance and hope the puck hits me

i catch left btw

choices:

Butterfly: pure butterfly, goes down in butterfly for almost every shot possible. high shots, low shots, shots wide, shots over the net, you go down in butterfly

Butterfly-Hybrid: butterflys most of the game, switches things up on occasion.

Stand Up-Hybrid: stays up for high shots, comes out of the net an contests shots, when you go down, its not necessarily in a full butterfly stance

Stand Up: stays on feet for almost all shots. makes skate skaves and kick saves. only goes down when has to

i just made up these terms but atleast you get a better idea what im talking about

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Hounsy

None of the above. I call my self a Butterfly goalie but that description is not what I think a Butterfly goalie does at all. Maybe one that just started or is awfully young But the Butterfly style is not just the body position and assuming it every shot, far from it.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
None of the above. I call my self a Butterfly goalie but that description is not what I think a Butterfly goalie does at all. Maybe one that just started or is awfully young But the Butterfly style is not just the body position and assuming it every shot, far from it.
i was trying to make them extreme so there would be an obvious differential

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
densetsu

I consider myself a hybrid on the butterfly side of things, even though my saves are mostly a full-butterfly. Since my hip flexibility sucks, when I go into a butterfly it's usually narrow (a la Giguere). I work on my positioning and angles a lot because of this. If my positioning was off or the shooter tries to go around me, I switch from a narrow, full butterfly to a half-butterfly (pad on the ice) to react to the shooter (I call this a "reaction butterfly", I don't know if there's actually a term for it though). I have moderate success with this technique, but it helps that I'm 6'3", have long legs and can almost do the splits.

Close shots: No reaction time, blocking butterfly, may turn into reaction butterfly.
Breakaways: Almost always Y-theory with butterfly.
Low point shots: Butterfly, getting as close to the screener's / forward's stick as possible to handle tips.
High point shots: Stand-up.
Hard cross-crease pass: Half-butterfly slide or pad stack.
Slower cross-crease pass: Full butterfly slide.
Quick wraparounds: Half-butterfly slide.

Like it implies above, if I have time I'll do a full butterfly slide, but most of the time I'll slide across the crease in a half-butterfly. Now and then I'll turn a half-butterfly slide into a pad stack, for some reason this seems to really throw shooters off and/or surprise them.

I do like the VH (when hugging the post, going down on the oppsite knee, leaving the post pad vertical and the other pad horizontal), but when the puck is in the corner I grew up using the stand-up post-hug and that's what I tend to do. If I had better mobility in butterfly then I might use VH more often, but right now I feel that once I drop into it, I'm handcuffed to the post. I have better mobility with the stand-up post-hug, I can react to one-timer setups better that way.

Paddle-down, half-butterfly is a great tool to use in close-in scrambles. A lot of goalies on another board call this "cheating" or "improper technique", but I just call it another tool in my toolbox that works fine for me, thanks.

One thing I do want to put into my toolbox of saves is the Ranford / Hasek roll, going into a pad stack then throwing your legs in the air (kinda like Ranford's first save: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvMDCsYFPU) For Randford it was a save technique, for Hasek it was a way of flipping the whole body around so his pad stack faced the other way. A sound technique? I don't think so, but I'd love to stone someone with that in shinny.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
nightfighter

I'm a butterfly goalie, and while it's true I go down for alot of my shots they are not just "drop to your knees and pray" kind of saves. Some are kick saves from the butterfly position, some are low glove/stick saves. And there is the odd time that I stand up too.

I think a butterfly hybrid and stand up hybrid are almost the same thing...

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
pfloyd75

I am pretty much a straight up butterfly goalie but it doesn't mean that I do it blindly on every shot. High shots I stay up but as most shots that I see are low-ish, I tend to make 90% of my saves from the butterfly position. I have decent size (a shade under 6-1) and I play "big" at the edge of the crease, so I don't give shooters much to look at.. or at least thats the idea

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote