Notices

Steve Ott is incredible

Old
03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Steve Ott is incredible

Canuck fan here, Just wanted to give Steve ott some serious love from what I seen today.

He reminds me a lot of Ruutu but with more Finish and seems to have some upside as well.

I have a Couple of questions: Has he always been this good?, I remember him being more of a fighter not a complete player like he was tonight.

Also, Where do you think he will fit when all your injured guys will come back?.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Chad_

vCash: 500
He's turned a corner this year and has become more of a complete player, rather than a fourth liner/agitator that he's been in the past. Seeing his transition this year though makes me wonder if it might have happened a bit earlier if he didn't break his ankle two years ago in a fight with Kostopolus and ended up playing all of 19 games that season. Even with the hand injury this year, again broken in a fight, he's missed some quality time. The moral of the story, he needs to quit fighting.

With the exception of a game or two here and there, he's been stuck on the third or fourth line his entire career until this season, be it due to other players on the roster or that he just hasn't been that good. What he has learned that has allowed him to do better this year is stay out of the box with stupid penalties. He still takes them, some reputation calls that fall squarely upon his shoulders, but not nearly as many as he used to.

As to where he plays in the future, who knows. When healthy, he's the second best left-winger on the team (Eriksson plays RW) behind Morrow with Neal charging pretty hard. And as long as Tippett remains behind the bench, it's a complete guessing game for fans as it's a guessing game for Tippett too.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Canuck fan here, Just wanted to give Steve ott some serious love from what I seen today.

He reminds me a lot of Ruutu but with more Finish and seems to have some upside as well.

I have a Couple of questions: Has he always been this good?, I remember him being more of a fighter not a complete player like he was tonight.

Also, Where do you think he will fit when all your injured guys will come back?.
he is absolutely a different player these last few months. I am usually one to hate on the guy pretty quickly. Ive always thought he chirped annoyingly, took runs at guys, and was completley worthless in the offensive zone.
Right now hes doing his best Brenden Morrow impersonation and its really working for him. Instead of taking himself out of position to hit guys in the offensive zone hes actually attempting to get himself into scoring position. Otts really been fortunate on several of his goals but you get fortunate goals like that when you hang around the front of the net.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:

So what you're saying is....he's got more Finish and less Finnish, all at the same time?

I'm still not a huge fan of Ott, but I'll cheer for him nonetheless, because whenever there's reason to cheer for him....well, that usually means good news for the rest of the team.

Ott has definitely been a benefactor of Dallas's massive injury woes. To his credit, has made the most of his audition, sometimes being one of very few Stars players to show up for an entire game. Having said that, I'd still rather he not be in the top 6 next year, with a fully healthy roster. Ott has his role, and barring a career revamp, he's destined to be a 3rd-4th line grinder. Potentially a great one, but a grinder nonetheless.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Captain Awesome

Your guess is as good as ours, and your surprise is too. Steve Ott went from 4th line grinder to first line contributor overnight it seems like. I personally doubt he has a place on the team doing that but he does give us a second dimension on the powerplay when we do get healthy next season.

Maybe his 50 goal season in juniors isn't a total fluke?

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Otter is having a career year in almost every single category.

RIP LUC

Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 03-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
He's turned a corner this year and has become more of a complete player, rather than a fourth liner/agitator that he's been in the past. Seeing his transition this year though makes me wonder if it might have happened a bit earlier if he didn't break his ankle two years ago in a fight with Kostopolus and ended up playing all of 19 games that season. Even with the hand injury this year, again broken in a fight, he's missed some quality time. The moral of the story, he needs to quit fighting.
At the beginning of the game, Razor said he spoke to Ott about that. Razor said Ott realized that he was more valuable to the team than in the box for 5 and 10 minutes, and he's seeing that fighting may not be a big part of his game in the future.

That's a 180 from what Ott said on the Ticket a few weeks (maybe a month) ago. If he sticks with this new philosophy, and approaches fighting the way Morrow does, he could be a really good player for the Stars.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:36 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
To me, Ott is the checking line center after Modano retires, because quite frankly there isn't enough room in the top 6 once the prospects start graduating (Neal, Bruno, Benn, Korostin, etc.).

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I have a feeling that Steve Ott will play with Richards and Eriksson next year.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
At the beginning of the game, Razor said he spoke to Ott about that. Razor said Ott realized that he was more valuable to the team than in the box for 5 and 10 minutes, and he's seeing that fighting may not be a big part of his game in the future.

That's a 180 from what Ott said on the Ticket a few weeks (maybe a month) ago. If he sticks with this new philosophy, and approaches fighting the way Morrow does, he could be a really good player for the Stars.
That's good news then, to me at least. And, yeah, I do wonder if he hasn't usurped Morrow in terms of playing with Ribeiro if only because that combination produces and it's very likely Morrow and Richards would produce together too, making two more potent offensive lines. And Richards needs some grit to line up with anyways.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Maybe his 50 goal season in juniors isn't a total fluke?
To this day those numbers still amaze me.

Think about this. Neal never scored over 38 goals in a junior season. Mike Modano's two best seasons were inferior to Steve Ott. 49 and 39 respectively compared to Ott's 50 and 43. Philly's Jeff Carter never hit 40. Same with Mike Richards. The only guys who come close are superstars in this league or guys who played in the extremely offensively oriented QMJHL. Hell Jaime Benn only got to 46 this season and he's the best offensive player since Ignila in this system.

Who else did they play with besides Spezza? I mean really I just scratch my head and go WTF when I try to make sense of his junior numbers.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Who (players, not team) was he playing with in juniors?

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
99-00 Spitfires -> http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008412000.html

00-01 Spitfires -> http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008412001.html

01-02 Spitfires -> http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008412002.html

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
txomisc

lets say Ott doesnt revert to his old habits and continues to produce. This franchise would then be set on the left wing for years to come. Morrow, Ott, and Neal with Benn coming soon.

Old
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
txdude5101

Next season when he can fight its gonna be awesome if he keeps producing as he is
Gordie howe after Gordie Howe

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Who (players, not team) was he playing with in juniors?
Spezza.

However, in '01-'02 Ott had 43 goals (the next person on Windsor has 20). Pretty impressive.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Captain Awesome

Well he had a hat trick of hat tricks in his last 3 games of his 50 goal season right? That would certainly help.

Is Benn's regular season over yet? I bet he hits 50 if he doesn't go to the WJC.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Is Benn's regular season over yet?
Yes.

I guess we can finally say Steve Ott was worth the first rounder he was drafted with.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Benn is done. The WHL playoffs start Friday. Number 3 Kelowna plays Kamloops in the first round. They've beaten them rather soundly all season and if I had to guess that's probably the one playoff team they would have picked to face in the first round. So he won't reach 50, though his team is pretty good and should get through the first two rounds of playoffs.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Dr GLU

Ott played with Spezza and Wellwood (who was a pretty damn good junior player, too).

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
batmansuncle

Quote:
Well he had a hat trick of hat tricks in his last 3 games of his 50 goal season right? That would certainly help.

Is Benn's regular season over yet? I bet he hits 50 if he doesn't go to the WJC.
he would have hit 50 no problem if it wasnt for missing a few games with injuries and playing for team canada

Can Ott play right wing? I've never seen him play anything but LW or center

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 04:41 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
To this day those numbers still amaze me.

Think about this. Neal never scored over 38 goals in a junior season. Mike Modano's two best seasons were inferior to Steve Ott. 49 and 39 respectively compared to Ott's 50 and 43. Philly's Jeff Carter never hit 40. Same with Mike Richards. The only guys who come close are superstars in this league or guys who played in the extremely offensively oriented QMJHL. Hell Jaime Benn only got to 46 this season and he's the best offensive player since Ignila in this system.

Who else did they play with besides Spezza? I mean really I just scratch my head and go WTF when I try to make sense of his junior numbers.
Nick Kypreos scored 62 in junior and averaged a goal a game in his last 2 years in the OHL. Junior numbers should never amaze you, the CHL is full of goal scoring freaks that will never even make the AHL on a regular basis. One major factor amongst many is physical development. Some guys at 18 look 16, some look 25. If you are a man playing with boys (leave that one alone) you'll dominate.

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Ott wasn't all that big though. He was tall-ish, but he weighed like... 155 when he was drafted. He was a string bean (with braces, for good measure).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
haf

Quote:

Ott has always been a solid defensive player. I have heard him described when younger as having "happy hands" and that if his hands ever settled, he would be about what you are seeing now. His hands seem to have settled a bit. I have always liked him a lot and held out hope that he could be a 40 pt. guy.

As far as where he fits after this year, any advice would be great.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
txomisc

Steve Ott has been playing like the old Steve Ott in the last several games.