HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Marty not our captain?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2009, 11:17 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Why is Marty not our captain?

I understand Vinny is the captain and has been the face of the franchise for a long time, but he has been calling it in a whole lot this season. The captain has to be an exemplar who works very hard and leads through his words and his behavior, enter Marty St. Louis. There is no better example of hard work, perseverance and true leadership than Marty. I understand he's an older guy and might only be with us a couple years longer, but cmon, Marty for captain!

Old
03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
paperclip maniac

I agree man, but think of Vinny's confidence if they take it away a second time. but I do think Marty would make a great captain.

Old
03-31-2009, 12:20 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

because even Marty looks up to Vinny

..Vinny is captain because Melrose and company gave it to him. When they were signing him to an 11 year life long contract, maybe they thought the C should come with it. Hard to say we want you around until you retire and call him the leader and the guy your gonna build around and then give it someone else. He may not show all the reasons why he is captain out on the ice during the games, but apart from what we fans see, he is the captain to everybody in the locker room, and they know it and respect it. When he's on his game, he ignites this team. When he talks, people shut up and listen.

I don't think Vinny is being just lazy. I think his poor play has to deal with other things. He rushed himself to join the team in the beginning of the season. It would of been much better for him to wait until he was 100% before he jumped in. He spent much of the off season rehabbing and did very little work because of it to get ready for the season. (although Im not sure Melrose's camp would have helped him much anyway) He pretty much went from lightly skating drills right into the games in Europe. Right now I'm sure if anything he's sore (mainly in his shoulder and wrist) and frustrated. Plus it seems like this season has had the most amount of Vinny trade rumors, and the constant media badgering has bothered him.

We've all seen him play better than what he's doing now but I think Toc says it perfectly: "When you're tired, it's hard to be competitive." I think after the summer when Vinny can finally rest and prepare himself, he will be able to go back to playing like his old self.

Old
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I agree with you both. But my question is if Vinny is seriously injured, why the heck is he playing? We knew by late January this season was up in smoke, so why risk further injury? I'm not sure what to make of the situation right now...

Old
03-31-2009, 12:43 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I agree with you both. But my question is if Vinny is seriously injured, why the heck is he playing? We knew by late January this season was up in smoke, so why risk further injury? I'm not sure what to make of the situation right now...
I have no idea. I remember having this discussion last year about why he wasn't being shut down with his bad wrist sometime close to before the Cooke hit. You'd think that with Ranger, Meszaros, Smaby, Smith, Murphy, and the rest of the injuries that have happened you'd want to protect your stars so another crazy injury doesn't happen. I'm a little worried that they still haven't ruled out Smith returning for the last game, although I don't think it will happen anyway.

It could give some new faces a chance to spotlight themselves and possibly get us a better pick. But I guess he's not injured enough to miss the last 6 games.

Old
03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
TBFan

Quote:
but cmon, Marty for captain!
He will be once Vinny is traded in the off-season.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Maria

Quote:

Because he is the captain.

We are not in the locker room, nobody knows what goes on in there, his teammates respect him and look up to him,if they're okay with him as their captain, I don't know why fans look into it so much. He is not the most vocal person, he's had a rough season from the very beggining, Marty didn't have to deal with rumors, injuries, etc.

Vinny will never use his injuries as an excuse, we probably will never know the extend of his problems this season, taking the C away from him will only make things worse, and I'm sure Marty would not want the C if it's taken away from one of his best friends.

Old
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Because he is the captain.

We are not in the locker room, nobody knows what goes on in there, his teammates respect him and look up to him,if they're okay with him as their captain, I don't know why fans look into it so much. He is not the most vocal person, he's had a rough season from the very beggining, Marty didn't have to deal with rumors, injuries, etc.

Vinny will never use his injuries as an excuse, we probably will never know the extend of his problems this season, taking the C away from him will only make things worse, and I'm sure Marty would not want the C if it's taken away from one of his best friends.
Very true. Taking it away from Vinny would not be a good thing. That is a good way to divide a lockeroom.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

speaking of Vinny...

Here's an article on how Vinny's season is going. Saw it as one of the stories on the main page of nhl.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Old
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
People care about Martin St.Louis.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:51 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
People care about Martin St.Louis.
What exactly are you going for here, because I am still completly lost.

Old
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
What exactly are you going for here, because I am still completly lost.
I think the REAL question Mike... is what are YOU going for.?

Old
03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
bladoww
Team of the Future

I think it's just age, the powers that be know Vinny will probably be playing in the league longer and are looking for a long-term captain.

But Marty is absolutely an ideal captain if I ever saw one.

Old
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Jon Jordan

Quote:
Two cents from someone that does get the vibe of that locker room a bit?

Marty just may be looked up to a bit more.

Remember his "clock-killers" rant after the Atlanta game? The countless pucks off his face this year? Playing his arse off through everything? The most productive player on this club, point-wise, all year?

One of these two hasn't been invisible even for a single game - and that certainly can't be said for the current captain.

I'd say, if they had to do it over again, the "C" might just go on 26's sweater.

Might still, of course, provided VL4 heads elsewhere before July 1 ...

JJ

Old
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
ThunderRoad

I love Marty and what he brings to the game. However, I also think Lecavalier's importance to this team is being taken for granted. Yes, this has been an off year for him, but considering everything that has occurred this year (and over the off-season), it's not that surprising. I would expect next season to be much different.

And his presence in the community also factors into his being the team's Captain. I don't think this should be overlooked or thought to be not as important as point totals. He has integrated himself into the Tampa community with his Foundation and fundraisers.

From what I have observed, Vinny is a more reserved, quiet guy that doesn't seem to overly seek/like the spotlight - which would make him a less visible Captain than some but that doesn't give the whole picture. It's really his first season as Captain and during a "circus-like" season - I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt before people clamor that the "C" should be elsewhere.

I certainly don't want to see Lecavalier traded as the team needs him going forward. The adage that you don't really appreciate something till it's gone comes to mind.

Old
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Vincent sells tickets, plain and simple. Attendance is bad but it would be much worse if he was out of the lineup.

Old
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
ITZABLITZBOLT

vinny with marty line next year
or stammer with marty?

Old
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Tokala

Quote:
From what I have observed, Vinny is a more reserved, quiet guy that doesn't seem to overly seek/like the spotlight - which would make him a less visible Captain than some but that doesn't give the whole picture.
Other than Marty's rant about "clock killers" I have no recall of a player calling out his team mates. One of the writers for the local papers observed (and told me) that ever since Andreychuk left, not one player speaks up and challenges his team mates or holds them responsible. IMHO that's a big issue with leadership.

Leadership skill is in no way related to the ability to play the game.

Old
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZABLITZBOLT View Post
vinny with marty line next year
or stammer with marty?
Vinny and........Kovalev.

Old
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
brymel

Quote:
Vinny and........Kovalev.
Who we trading for Kovalev?

Old
03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
Other than Marty's rant about "clock killers" I have no recall of a player calling out his team mates. One of the writers for the local papers observed (and told me) that ever since Andreychuk left, not one player speaks up and challenges his team mates or holds them responsible. IMHO that's a big issue with leadership.

Leadership skill is in no way related to the ability to play the game.

but somehow people think Marty is a better leader????

I think they're both learning on how to be better leaders, but of course Vinny takes the bigger criticism.

Old
03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Tokala

Quote:
but somehow people think Marty is a better leader????

I think they're both learning on how to be better leaders, but of course Vinny takes the bigger criticism.
If I knew nothing about either of them and watched a game, my impression would be that Marty has a better work ethic/effort. That means more than a highly skilled guy not taking two strides to get to the puck versus just waving his stick at it.

I don't think Marty's learning to lead. I think he's just doing what he's done his entire career: bust his ass because he doesn't get any slack. My first impression of Vinny in 1998 was he knew he was a highly skilled player and therefore he didn't need to make the effort that less skilled guys did. This all was confirmed when Torts left and said that they would need to find a way to motivate Lecavalier.

And, when the league came out of the lock out, I was all for letting Marty go in order to keep Khabibulin. I really don't have favorites, but I'll criticize the ones that don't play 100%.

Old
03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
If I knew nothing about either of them and watched a game, my impression would be that Marty has a better work ethic/effort. That means more than a highly skilled guy not taking two strides to get to the puck versus just waving his stick at it.

I don't think Marty's learning to lead. I think he's just doing what he's done his entire career: bust his ass because he doesn't get any slack. My first impression of Vinny in 1998 was he knew he was a highly skilled player and therefore he didn't need to make the effort that less skilled guys did. This all was confirmed when Torts left and said that they would need to find a way to motivate Lecavalier.

And, when the league came out of the lock out, I was all for letting Marty go in order to keep Khabibulin. I really don't have favorites, but I'll criticize the ones that don't play 100%.

you're right, they're completely different players, but at this point there's no need of changing the C, if Marty is a great leader, then he doesn't a letter on his jersey to lead, and taking it away from Vinny will only create more chaos and drama to the team.

I think the fans care more about the C than the players.

Old
03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
you're right, they're completely different players, but at this point there's no need of changing the C, if Marty is a great leader, then he doesn't a letter on his jersey to lead, and taking it away from Vinny will only create more chaos and drama to the team.

Very true. It really is just a letter on your shirt and a lot of players don't need that letter to lead. The question is whether or not Lecavalier can put up with the pressure that comes with it. Thus far, the answer is no. As much as you want to put the blame on lingering injuries and the such, he just has not performed at an acceptable level. If he is injured, sit out, don't play a dilute version of your game.

Old
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Tokala

Quote:

I agree. It's more to appease the fans by giving Vinny the "C" than it was for the team.

Quote:
Vincent sells tickets, plain and simple. Attendance is bad but it would be much worse if he was out of the lineup.
Which is a sad reflection on the "fan" base. And, people wonder why southern hockey gets a bad rap. I think the last two seasons have shown that winning puts more butts in the seat than Vincent though.

Closed Thread