HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Montreal 3/17 Reddens best game as a Ranger?

Old
03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Montreal 3/17 Reddens best game as a Ranger?

I have to admit the guy seems to be a completely different player under Torts. He was VERY good last night in my opinion. An impact player in a BIG game on the road...

Not saying he was perfect. The Torts system is going to leave some vulnerable moments but all in all I really liked the Wade Redden we saw play last night.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
lbrowne

If I wasn't so smashed on St. Paddy's day I might have recalled his performance. Either way, a victory in Mtl's building is great!!

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
ecemleafs

was he always this slow in ottawa though? hes been better but hes the slowest player on the ice.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I have to admit the guy seems to be a completely different player under Torts. He was VERY good last night in my opinion. An impact player in a BIG game on the road...

Not saying he was perfect. The Torts system is going to leave some vulnerable moments but all in all I really liked the Wade Redden we saw play last night.
This is like the 4th or 5th time Ive seen a thread about Reddens play improving only to have him start sucking ass again the next game.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
No, not his best but he was damn good.

He has been at this level a long time now.

You people need to open your eyes.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Colt Seavers

Reddens was actually quite good last night. That diving play he made had me rubbing my eyes in complete & utter disbelief.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Agreed. He's been a scapegoat but people won't give him a fair shake because of his contract. He's here, like it or not, don't worry about the money. Think about how useful he is out there, and as of now we are a better team with him than without.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
coolbean04

Am I the only one that thought he stunk? That one play where Rozi ended up taking a penalty was BRUTAL. How do you let players just skate around you?

He plays way too slow. There's plays that he should have no problem with but by him being so slow, the opponent is on top of him when he decides. We got lucky, a couple of times MTL almost tipped a pass of his and that could've created a scoring chance for them.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Am I the only one that thought he stunk? That one play where Rozi ended up taking a penalty was BRUTAL. How do you let players just skate around you?

He plays way too slow. There's plays that he should have no problem with but by him being so slow, the opponent is on top of him when he decides. We got lucky, a couple of times MTL almost tipped a pass of his and that could've created a scoring chance for them.
He needs to recognize this is not pre lock out where you just shadow a player and hug them and hold on for the ride. He needs to pick up his foot speed. Hes a taller guy, but thats really no excuse. In a game that is predominantly decided by how you move your feet and how fast you move em... hes a world behind quite a few players which is kinda scary.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He WAS great against the Habs...but he was horrid against Philadelphia.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
He needs to recognize this is not pre lock out where you just shadow a player and hug them and hold on for the ride. He needs to pick up his foot speed. Hes a taller guy, but thats really no excuse. In a game that is predominantly decided by how you move your feet and how fast you move em... hes a world behind quite a few players which is kinda scary.
Forwards are always faster than defensemen. You cannot and should not compare the two. Compare Redden to others Ds if you want your point be valid. What do you mean by "slow", agility or acceleration? or just being beat on the play? This is the question to all Redden's critics.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:14 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Forwards are always faster than defensemen. You cannot and should not compare the two. Compare Redden to others Ds if you want your point be valid. What do you mean by "slow", agility or acceleration? or just being beat on the play? This is the question to all Redden's critics.
slow as in decision making and he seems to glide and not skate.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Im not a huge Redden critic. This is just something I noticed. Of course Forwards and D should not be on the same token for speed.

Getting beat on the way back, and when moving the puck up, he looks like he plays with arthritis.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Maybe he just needs to go to Colton Orr's offseason skating school...

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
His decision making didn't seem so slow on the rush up ice to score.. and i remember him making quite a couple of touch passes, and definitely saw a nice one on the powerplay. I think sometimes it seems like he's slow to get rid of the puck cause he waits that extra second sometimes for the play to develop and see a break out pass open up. Yeah, it results in turnovers sometimes, but he also has good passes cause of his vision. I don't see him trying to force high risk passes too much, like say Roszival (who i think is better than him defensively)
He just gets beat to the outside alot, like his lateral movement isn't great, and his speed is mediocre.. but he's been a smart player and takes hits to make plays...
Ofcourse, he doesn't deserve that contract, i'm talking about a mediocre to above average Dman here, so sure he has his limitations, but he's got good positives i think, especially for this type of system Torts has implemented..

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:

Not really. He's been up and down all year. For every "damn good" performance, he provides us with 3 terrible ones. Let's not go crazy here.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
TomLaidlaw

This was the best game I have seen him play as a Ranger.

In the 10 games since Torts has taken over Redden has been solid/good for about 5 of them and bad/gruesome for the other 5. We probably have the two most inconsistent highly paid D-Men in the league in Rozy and Redden. You simply don't know which player is going to show up from one night to the next.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Those things are of critical importance for puck moving D. Redden played stay-at-home yesterday. That is why he looked good still being Wade Redden of late. Renney unsuccessfully tried to get Redden's offense back. Torts or rather Shoenfield gave up on that idea. That is how Redden improved.

Old
03-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
This was the best game I have seen him play as a Ranger.

In the 10 games since Torts has taken over Redden has been solid/good for about 5 of them and bad/gruesome for the other 5. We probably have the two most inconsistent highly paid D-Men in the league in Rozy and Redden. You simply don't know which player is going to show up from one night to the next.
More like he's been extremely solid for 5 games and average for 4 and really bad in 1.

So, basically the same for most any other hockey player out there.

Old
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
More like he's been extremely solid for 5 games and average for 4 and really bad in 1.

So, basically the same for most any other hockey player out there.
No.

Time Line:

NYR @ TOR- Very Good
FLA @ NYR - Solid
COL @ NYR - Solid
(Wade Redden Appreciation Thread Created)
NYR @ NYI - Below Average
BOS @ NYR - Gruesome
NYR @ CAR - Gruesome
NYR @ NSH - Good 1st Period/Terrible 2nd and 3rd
NYR @ PHI - Gruesome
PHI @ NYR - Average
NYR @ MTL - Best Game as a Ranger

When you consider that under Renney I would say that Redden played well about 20% of the time, I guess 50% is an improvement under Torts. Still doesn't mean it is good. I have seen Redden string together two or three good games in a row and then make up for it by stringing together 3 or 4 awful games. The guy isn't consistent and I don't expect that to change.

The idea that he is somehow worth 6.5 mill a year is at best delusional optimism and at worst psychotic.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Jonas1235

He's just wildly inconsistent. If he takes a skating program in the summer, he could vastly improve as a player from what he is currently.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
He's just wildly inconsistent.
That is huge improvement over "terrible".

Old
03-18-2009, 03:51 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
That is huge improvement over "terrible".
True....

I think Redden has been better for the past couple games, but in order to be worse then what he's been for this season, I'd need to have a Redden Jersey on and sneak out onto the ice.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

He's been playing quite well for a while now, but he was extremely visible last night - in a good way. As were most of the D-men for that matter.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
No.

Time Line:

NYR @ TOR- Very Good
FLA @ NYR - Solid
COL @ NYR - Solid
(Wade Redden Appreciation Thread Created)
NYR @ NYI - Below Average
BOS @ NYR - Gruesome
NYR @ CAR - Gruesome
NYR @ NSH - Good 1st Period/Terrible 2nd and 3rd
NYR @ PHI - Gruesome
PHI @ NYR - Average
NYR @ MTL - Best Game as a Ranger

When you consider that under Renney I would say that Redden played well about 20% of the time, I guess 50% is an improvement under Torts. Still doesn't mean it is good. I have seen Redden string together two or three good games in a row and then make up for it by stringing together 3 or 4 awful games. The guy isn't consistent and I don't expect that to change.

The idea that he is somehow worth 6.5 mill a year is at best delusional optimism and at worst psychotic.
Redden was great in the 4-1 win over Philly. Not just "average".

How the **** was he "gruesome" against Boston? He was solid against them and played a very solid game all around.

Same thing in the Islanders game, minus the assist. Played a very solid game all around. Not noticed much at all.

I really question how often you have watched him play, if at all.

You really don't come off as someone who has much hockey knowledge. At least of defensemen, anyway.