Notices

Poor showing by the Thrashers...

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Poor showing by the Thrashers...

I know this board doesn't get many viewers/response but I thought I would post this anyway.

I'm sorry, but if I'm DW I'm looking for an overhaul of my bottom 2 lines next year. How Matt Cooke walked out of the building without a scratch on him is incomprehensible and inexcusable. Sure, some will defend the hit saying it wasn't intentional (etc) but the fact remains that a PUNK ran your barely turned 19 year old future franchise defender!!

I could understand not taking a penalty if Atlanta was in a tight playoff race, but they had NOTHING to lose that game!! I don't want to hear guys ***** in the paper the next day about the hit.... do SOMETHING about it on the ice!

Now, Matt Cooke won't fight to defend a hit like that ---he is a punk after all--- so the Thrashers should have sent XLB after Crosby. I know, it isn't pretty or nice, but go after Crosby's knee just ONE time and you would see a ****storm ensue.

It would, however, send a message. I remember a few years ago another punk (Adam Mair) hit Krejci after the whistle (without the puck) and gave him a concussion in his first NHL game.... NOBODY did anything about it. That Bruins team --also-- was not a team. The B's went out and got a lot bigger, got a legit fighter (Thornton) and canned the coach (Lewis) who had instructed Chara not to fight. They are now a team that will stand up for each other in any situation... heck, I remember Kessel's rookie year and how he would continuously get rocked and nobody would do anything about it. You saw what happened this year when Valabik gave Kessel a few extra love-taps...

Sorry for the rant, but I am very disappointed in Atlanta. Bogosian is going to be carrying the puck a LOT for the Thrashers over the next decade + and a message needs to be sent (via the other teams' stars) next time he gets ran and/or kneed.

Old
03-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Georgia Dawg

I do not think anyone here will disagree with what you are saying. Lots of us said it the other night. The weird thing is that this team has become more of a team recently. We have been sticking up for each other, but not in that situation for some reason.

Old
03-19-2009, 08:13 AM
GetPucksDeep

XLB doesn't get sent after anyone since he has his own concussion issues. But yes, Boulton or Valabik should have gotten the job done.

Old
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
teme

I understand Cooke didn't get that many shifts, but that is unimportant. Forget about Cooke. Nobody gives a damn about Matt Cooke. Kneeing Crosby or elbowing Malkin on the other hand... That is how Messier for example would've handled it.

Old
03-19-2009, 08:27 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
exact same thing happened to the lightning last year, as cooke nailed lecavalier on a questionable hit, and no one took him out even though we had waived bye-bye to all playoff hopes long ago.

hell, lecavalier even tried to fight cooke this year because of that hit, and cooke wouldn't even fight vinny.

i guess to sum it all up, matt cooke is kind of a doucher

Old
03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

While I TOTALLY agree that the response from the Thrashers was weak and pathetic, I don't agree you go out and knee Crosby (or anyone) in retaliation. I don't think intentionally trying to injure someone is the answer.

What Perrin did the other night against the Sabres (when Connolly elbowed Slater in the head) was closer to a good response, even though it wasn't quite enough. I can't believe Perrin had to step up and do that, but I'm really glad he did.

A better response in the Pens game would have been to forget the score (we had already lost, and the game doesn't matter to us) and just spend all your time looking for some big, juicy, but legal, hits. Find something like what Exelby did to Sundin a couple seasons ago.

That and go ahead and drop the gloves a few times. Take the instigator penalties because, again, the game doesn't matter.

Closed Thread