HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

the sedins...

Old
03-22-2009, 05:37 PM
djavan

vCash: 500
the sedins...

sounds like their asking price may be too much - especially with uncertainty of economy and the cap

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:39 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

A million dollars and three Hawaiian islands. The good ones, not the leper ones.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Supposedly they're asking for 6.5 million each.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 05:43 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Supposedly they're asking for 6.5 million each.
Their agent JP Barry is asking for 6.5 million... on the TEAM 1040. When confronted with those numbers the Sedins both laughed and said they're not looking for 6.5 million.

Most estimates have the Sedins eventually getting 4-5 year terms, 5 to 5.5 million each, with NTCs.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
they will sign for ~5.5each for 5 years. I doubt they get more than that with the economy the way it is, unless they sign a 1 year deal.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:44 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
they will sign for ~5.5each for 5 years. I doubt they get more than that with the economy the way it is, unless they sign a 1 year deal.
I think it depends on them if they want to win a cup. They will sign for a similar deal to Zetterberg's a long term front loaded deal where the cap hit is on the lower end of there worth (ie. a 7 year 31.5 mil deal 8 mil in first two years, then 6 in year 3 4 in year 4 and 2.5 mil in the final 3 years) for a 4.5 cap hit. Or the want strictly money and sign a 4-5 year 5.5-6 mil per year deal

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

With the economy in terrible shape, the cap going down, and the sedins wanting to play on the same team, id be surprised if they get over 6 mill per year type contract. It doesnt help that any team that wants either one will have to commit to the other one as well.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

Gillis has mentioned numerous times that he is not going to sign players (especially older players) to massive contracts. The Sedins are 29 so I don't think they will get longer than a 5 year deal (certainly not a 8 year deal as mentioned above).

Bunter McVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Oblivion

The real question is what other teams are in the market/can afford their services?

There are only a certain number of teams in the league that will want/be willing to offer them both contracts. Likely that team needs to have a lot of cap room and be willing to pay for two guys that aen't necessarily franchise players. The market for the Sedins is significantly less for a single player at their skill level and they need to expect a small discount.

Their a good fit in Vancouver, I could really only see them going to a team like Atlanta or Florida (outside chance of a decent team like Nashville) and I don't think they'll get the term that they are looking for.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
lefty2time*

They'll sign for 5.5 each on a 3 or 4 year deal...

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

There's always talk of the Isles being players for the Sedins.

They'll have the cap room.

And yes, the tendency to overpay will be there...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:05 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post

i could see that. the isles have been trying very hard with free agent acquisitions and they'll certainly try with the sedins. just so long as they don't offer another decade long contract, it could be a very good signing for them.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

It's hard to see them signing on the same team unless they return to Vancouver. Not alot of teams have $11M+ of cap space.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

not sure why people are suggesting that they want so much money... although I guess the majority of people here always look for things that make the canucks look bad, or their situation look bad (see the Luongo thread)... but let's consider reality here for a second:

the Sedins have always said that they want to remain in Vancouver, and have actually taken very good contracts in the past to make it work... after the lockout, they signed very low deals to fit under the cap instead of making things difficult for the canucks... their next contract was very reasonable - they are on those $3.575mill/yr deals right now, despite players similar to their production (and age/upside) at the time making more... why would they hold their team ransom now?

I think the Burrows signing - and his comments after - will have an impact as well... Kesler has also since come out and echoed the same thoughts as well (about players needing to take less on the team so they can ice a contending team overall)... I wouldn't be surprised if the Sedins do take less than people are estimating - after all, if we ignore speculation and go by history, chances are that they will both sign at reasonable amounts yet again, instead of asking for salaries that will hurt the team longterm.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
1025*

4.5mil each for 4 years, NTC, you heard it here first!

if every canucks fan proposed a deal, i'm sure one will make it.

maybe not Eklund though

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
not sure why people are suggesting that they want so much money... although I guess the majority of people here always look for things that make the canucks look bad, or their situation look bad (see the Luongo thread)... but let's consider reality here for a second:

the Sedins have always said that they want to remain in Vancouver, and have actually taken very good contracts in the past to make it work... after the lockout, they signed very low deals to fit under the cap instead of making things difficult for the canucks... their next contract was very reasonable - they are on those $3.575mill/yr deals right now, despite players similar to their production (and age/upside) at the time making more... why would they hold their team ransom now?

I think the Burrows signing - and his comments after - will have an impact as well... Kesler has also since come out and echoed the same thoughts as well (about players needing to take less on the team so they can ice a contending team overall)... I wouldn't be surprised if the Sedins do take less than people are estimating - after all, if we ignore speculation and go by history, chances are that they will both sign at reasonable amounts yet again, instead of asking for salaries that will hurt the team longterm.
Because the Canucks are no closer to winning now then they were then, and they were less productive then than now.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
The real question is what other teams are in the market/can afford their services?

There are only a certain number of teams in the league that will want/be willing to offer them both contracts. Likely that team needs to have a lot of cap room and be willing to pay for two guys that aen't necessarily franchise players. The market for the Sedins is significantly less for a single player at their skill level and they need to expect a small discount.

Their a good fit in Vancouver, I could really only see them going to a team like Atlanta or Florida (outside chance of a decent team like Nashville) and I don't think they'll get the term that they are looking for.
I would not surprised to see Brian Burke making a pitch for them if they were to become free agents. He drafted them and knows what they can do.
What are they worth in case the Canucks can't resign them? Not much am afraid. Perhaps a draftpick giving a team the right to start negotiating with them a bit earlier then the rest?
I personally like them resigned but not for the quoted 6.5mil/each. With that kind of money and a chance of the salary cap maybe going down(not this upcoming year), Vancouver would not be able to get much of a supporting cast for them. I think a longterm(4-5 years) at about 5.5 mil/each is fair and doable for the Canucks.

Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessie View Post
I would not surprised to see Brian Burke making a pitch for them if they were to become free agents. He drafted them and knows what they can do.
What are they worth in case the Canucks can't resign them? Not much am afraid. Perhaps a draftpick giving a team the right to start negotiating with them a bit earlier then the rest?
I personally like them resigned but not for the quoted 6.5mil/each. With that kind of money and a chance of the salary cap maybe going down(not this upcoming year), Vancouver would not be able to get much of a supporting cast for them. I think a longterm(4-5 years) at about 5.5 mil/each is fair and doable for the Canucks.
Fair for the Canucks.. but not so much for the Sedins..

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Fowla10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Fair for the Canucks.. but not so much for the Sedins..
Problem is the only way the Sedins get a "fair" deal is to go to a bottom team with the cap space to sign them. Vancouver may be the best fit for them simply because Van does have a decent amount of cap space, and still are a competitive team and are considered to be somewhat of a contender.

Fowla10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM
IslesFTW

4 year, 20M dollar deals with NTC for each of them.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Sedin's to the Leafs this offseason. $5.75 million each for 5 years. Boom.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Invisible Poster View Post

How about the rights to the Sedins, 2 first round picks in 2009 (assuming the Canucks can ship out someone like Schneider for a 1st round pick, maybe to Philly) and a 2010 first round pick to the Islanders for the 1st overall pick?

03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Sedin's to the Leafs this offseason. $5.75 million each for 5 years. Boom.
do not want

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
How about the rights to the Sedins, 2 first round picks in 2009 (assuming the Canucks can ship out someone like Schneider for a 1st round pick, maybe to Philly) and a 2010 first round pick to the Islanders for the 1st overall pick?
lol

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Garbs

If they want to be a package then they have to come at a reduced price. Almost nobody has 12+ million dollars in cap space, and the teams that do can't afford it.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Because the Canucks are no closer to winning now then they were then, and they were less productive then than now.
We aren't closer to winning now than we were three years ago? Do you even follow the Canucks? This is by far the best team the Canucks have iced in the last ten years. They have scoring depth, solid defense, and a world class goaltender. When the Canucks signed the Sedins for their last contract our goalie was Cloutier, our defense had Sopel/Malik playing huge minutes, and after the WCE, our forwards with the most icetime were Rucinsky, Sanderson, and Cooke.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote