HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Boynton's Goose Is Cooked (As A Panther)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2009, 09:20 PM
  #26
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Agreed. I miss Boynton's toughness, but he hasn't used that a whole lot of late.

Eminger's going to be on the squad next season, the more he plays in this system, the better he should become. I was really hoping he'd get his first goal against either Washington or the Lightning. He'll get there.

He must like the leadership Culli offers and just isn't dissatisfied with his play at all.
Using that logic, if the reason Eminger is playing is because he will be here next season and Boynton won't, why wasn't Bouw traded at the deadline since he almost certainly won't be here? I mean if your going to worry about next season , why is that determinative in the Eminger over Boynton decision and not in the decision to keep Bouw? Either you're going all out for the Playoffs by putting your best team on the ice in which case you keep Bouw and play Boynton or you're worrying about putting your team together for next season, play Eminger over Boynton and trade Bouw at the deadline.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
  #27
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Not really.

They lost the next game to NJ 7-2.
No they didn't, they beat Atlanta next game 4-3.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:35 PM
  #28
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
No they didn't, they beat Atlanta next game 4-3.
They lost to the Devils 7-2 the first game of Boynton's suspension.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
  #29
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
They lost to the Devils 7-2 the first game of Boynton's suspension.
Yeah sorry, I got those mixed up. Still, we won 2 out of 3 after Boynton was sent home, and 3 out of 5.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
  #30
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Good discussion. But let me ask you all specifically--WHY do you think Boynton's out of the picture? What's he making, compared to Cullimore and Eminger.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
  #31
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Good discussion. But let me ask you all specifically--WHY do you think Boynton's out of the picture? What's he making, compared to Cullimore and Eminger.
1. Some sloppy play that would have probably been forgiven if he hadn't pissed off his rookie coach and forced him to make an example out of him.

2. $3M

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
  #32
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah sorry, I got those mixed up. Still, we won 2 out of 3 after Boynton was sent home, and 3 out of 5.
I had an uneasy feeling in every game but the Washington one. Something seemed.... off.......especially in the Atlanta win, but even in the StL one.

Mind you, I am not blaming PDB for benching Boynton. I think he had no choice. That doesn't change the fact that I think it altered the team dynamic.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
  #33
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I had an uneasy feeling in every game but the Washington one. Something seemed.... off.......especially in the Atlanta win, but even in the StL one.

Mind you, I am not blaming PDB for benching Boynton. I think he had no choice. That doesn't change the fact that I think it altered the team dynamic.
OK I'll agree something was off in the Atlanta win, but not in the StL win. We pretty much had that game from start to finish except for a minor stumble in the 3rd.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
  #34
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Thanks, wow, three million. I like what Boynton brings to the team, but I think we can do better for that kind of cash, don't you?

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
  #35
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I agree, I think it can work either way, though. I like Boynton quite a bit, he's one of my favorites on the team, mostly because he's willing to drop the gloves and popped Boogaard.

I'd like to see Nasty or Stewart in over McLean, but we need him as a center right now. Olesz isn't going to be scratched, though, once Nate comes back. Hopefully the 4th line can keep up their energy a bit going forward.

No matter what, DeBo has some fairly tough decisions to make.
Belak was the one that beat on Boogie, Boynton would not stand a chance against him

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
  #36
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Belak was the one that beat on Boogie, Boynton would not stand a chance against him
I'm well aware that Belak dropped Boogaard and in the process knocked his tooth out, as well as I'm well aware that Boynton doesn't stand a chance against him. Was talking about a scrum against the boards where Boynton popped Boogey in the mush for harassing one of the Panthers.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:18 PM
  #37
JPG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
the benching and the streak - its a nice observation but i don't think its a cause-and-effect.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
  #38
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm well aware that Belak dropped Boogaard and in the process knocked his tooth out, as well as I'm well aware that Boynton doesn't stand a chance against him. Was talking about a scrum against the boards where Boynton popped Boogey in the mush for harassing one of the Panthers.
not how you described it

"he's one of my favorites on the team, mostly because he's willing to drop the gloves and popped Boogaard."


I like Boynton and I think the way they handled the whole situation was embarrassing to a guy that's been in the league that long with a very respected track record, and it's no surprise as another poster mentioned that the team lost some fire after that. Maybe they lost a bit of respect for the coach. You don't mess with success just to prove a point. But the incident with Boogie is kind of meaningless though.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:43 PM
  #39
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
not how you described it

"he's one of my favorites on the team, mostly because he's willing to drop the gloves and popped Boogaard."


I like Boynton and I think the way they handled the whole situation was embarrassing to a guy that's been in the league that long with a very respected track record, and it's no surprise as another poster mentioned that the team lost some fire after that. Maybe they lost a bit of respect for the coach. You don't mess with success just to prove a point. But the incident with Boogie is kind of meaningless though.
You apparently really do have a hard time distinguishing between things, I was saying that he does drop the gloves and I liked that he popped Boogaard, wasn't saying anything about him dropping them with Boogey.

Yeah, suddenly the WHOLE team disrespects and discounts DeBoer because he sent a guy home who was way out of line. Never mind where he's helped them get to...please.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaching.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:53 PM
  #40
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
handbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,130
vCash: 500
Boynton never meshed into the team, imo. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave just as I wasn't surprised at the times he was benched. He seems like a great team guy though and I'm sure he could play better too. Wish him luck.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:50 AM
  #41
angry_treefrog
Moderator
T63813A
 
angry_treefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 6,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
the benching and the streak - its a nice observation but i don't think its a cause-and-effect.
Perhaps not, but the timing is curious.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
  #42
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7
 
FinallyWeissIsGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Flori-duh
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
I'll gladly ride the pine for 3mil

FinallyWeissIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
  #43
Two4Fighting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Boynton is a very decent player and good participant of the good chemistry the back line, He is very quick to stand up for his team mates and his toughness and character was very visible at least to me.
I think he deserves a better fate, and kindlier comments.
Eminger has not gelled with the team yet, and with so few games left, we are not possibly going to see much improvement.
I agree that we could spend those 3 Millions better

Two4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 08:52 AM
  #44
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
The discussion should be, if you're going all-out for the playoffs, which keeping Bouw at the deadline was supposed to signify, why is Eminger playing over Boynton when Boynton has played better than Eminger has so far as a Panther? If he's playing because he will be here next season and Boynton not, then JM is sending mixed signals because if he's thinking about next season he should have traded Bouw. If he's playing because he played a big role for DeBoer in Juniors, isn't that disturbing in that DeBoer is playing personal favorites regardless of how that player has played in the NHL and basing playing decisions on how a player performed for him in Juniors, which is a world apart from playing in the NHL.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:06 AM
  #45
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The discussion should be, if you're going all-out for the playoffs, which keeping Bouw at the deadline was supposed to signify, why is Eminger playing over Boynton when Boynton has played better than Eminger has so far as a Panther? If he's playing because he will be here next season and Boynton not, then JM is sending mixed signals because if he's thinking about next season he should have traded Bouw. If he's playing because he played a big role for DeBoer in Juniors, isn't that disturbing in that DeBoer is playing personal favorites regardless of how that player has played in the NHL and basing playing decisions on how a player performed for him in Juniors, which is a world apart from playing in the NHL.
I think Eminger being a much more mobile defenseman has as much or more to do with it than any favoritism.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
  #46
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
I think Eminger being a much more mobile defenseman has as much or more to do with it than any favoritism.
i agree. and i think coach knows that he'll continue to gel with his new teammates and the new systems the more he plays.

this was kind of a silly thread. like, no duh boynton's leaving...

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
  #47
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Geez GP, was that a serious post? First off, DeBo's playing Eminger over Boynton has little to do with JM, if anything at all. JM's the GM...not the coach.

No, it's not disturbing that DeBo's playing Eminger more, the guy is playing better every game. Personally, I think DeBoer likes his offensive ability and feels that his point production will come.

This reminds me of earlier in the season when so many were wondering why Frolik was still up.

Gp's always trying to stir things up.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
  #48
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Geez GP, was that a serious post? First off, DeBo's playing Eminger over Boynton has little to do with JM, if anything at all. JM's the GM...not the coach.

No, it's not disturbing that DeBo's playing Eminger more, the guy is playing better every game. Personally, I think DeBoer likes his offensive ability and feels that his point production will come.

This reminds me of earlier in the season when so many were wondering why Frolik was still up.

Gp's always trying to stir things up.
I guess it's a difference of opinion on my part in that I think Boynton, at this point, is a better player than Eminger and if making the playoffs this year was all I cared about, then I would be playing Boynton. Also, I find it hard to believe that Eminger having played for DeBoer in Juniors and DeBoer being very familiar with him, had little to do with JM acquiring him. I think it more the case of DeBoer saying to JM, I don't trust Welch enough to play him but I do Eminger.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
  #49
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
i have to agree!!!!! eminger hasn't impressed me so far. he loses battles on the boards, doesn't bring a physical game, seems timid out there. while this may all be a lack of playing time with the cats this is not the time to try and coax him in. at this point boynton brings more imo. he scored a goal in his last start and looked good. i think he should be playing. not impressed with eminger so far, he doesn't look like he belongs!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
  #50
39ontheline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i have to agree!!!!! eminger hasn't impressed me so far. he loses battles on the boards, doesn't bring a physical game, seems timid out there. while this may all be a lack of playing time with the cats this is not the time to try and coax him in. at this point boynton brings more imo. he scored a goal in his last start and looked good. i think he should be playing. not impressed with eminger so far, he doesn't look like he belongs!!!!!!!
But what about when Eminger hits the magical 300 game mark!! He surely will be in norris contention then!!

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.