HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI - PIT proposal

Old
03-17-2009, 02:01 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

vCash: 500
NYI - PIT proposal

**This is all dependent on the Isles getting the 1st overall pick.

to NYI: Evgeni Malkin

to PIT: NYI 1st round pick(1st overall), SJS 1st round pick(29th/30th overall), Mark Streit

Hard to see this deal actually happening even though I do think the value is pretty close, simply because of the backlash in Pittsburgh if Malkin is ever traded. However, I do think it makes sense for these reasons:

for PIT: downgrade at center but in the long run the difference between Malkin and Tavares might not be so great. They add a legit top pairing defenseman in Streit(to those of you Pens fans who haven't seen him, ask any Isles fan or anyone who has watched the Isles on a nightly basis and they will tell you this is not an overstatement. The guy has been ridiculous), and clear about 5M in this deal to go out and add either another defenseman(Bouwmeester) or a winger(Hossa). The San Jose 1st is a bit of a sweetener to keep some talent in the system since JT will most definately be going straight to the NHL. Back to Streit, keep in mind he is locked up at 4.1M over the next 4 years and that instantly makes him one of the most valuable defensemen in the game.

for NYI: They get their superstar in Malkin. Losing Streit hurts a lot, but just by getting Malkin the Isles make themselves a true player in the UFA market, something they are definately not at the moment. Even after adding his huge contract, they still will have a ton of money available to go after the hometown boy Komisarek to begin to replace the hole that Streit left. Either way, now with Malkin, the Isles can let the players they have at goaltender and their top-6 grow and develop and focus on building up their defense to complete their rebuild.

Again, this is a hard trade to actually see happening regardless of how even it may or may not be. Even less likely considering the 2 teams play in the same division. However, it seemed close enough in my mind to at least warrant some discussion. As an Islander fan, I'm not so sure I would do it but I may be in the minority there. Hopefully you Pens fans don't get too frustrated with this one haha.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Probably want to add Okposo and a 2010 1st in there as well. Best players in the league don't grow on trees after all.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Pens already have Crosby.

Why would we give up Malkin who is Crosby + a shot + better defensively, when Tavares is being compared to Crosby?

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 02:29 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Probably want to add Okposo and a 2010 1st in there as well. Best players in the league don't grow on trees after all.
Isles would probably consider including the 2010 1st if they can keep San Jose's 1st. No way they would include Okposo though.

Old
03-17-2009, 02:34 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post

Why would we give up Malkin who is Crosby + a shot + better defensively, when Tavares is being compared to Crosby?
They could always draft Hedman instead and use Staal as the 2nd line center. Basically the point of taking Tavares would be to downgrade at center(at least for the 1st couple of years. If JT lives up to the hype he won't be too far behind Malkin), gain a top pairing defenseman in his prime who is locked up cheap for the next 4 years, gain an extra 1st rounder and cut salary to add whatever missing pieces you feel are necessary to make a cup run.

Maybe Hedman would be the smarter choice for the Pens anyway though. A defense of Gonchar, Streit, Hedman, Orpik, Letang and Goligoski would probably be the most solid unit in the league. Add in Crosby and a big UFA signing at forward and the Pens could be the top team in the East.

Hard to give up Malkin though, I understand why you wouldn't do it.

Old
03-17-2009, 02:39 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
They could always draft Hedman instead and use Staal as the 2nd line center. Basically the point of taking Tavares would be to downgrade at center(at least for the 1st couple of years. If JT lives up to the hype he won't be too far behind Malkin), gain a top pairing defenseman in his prime who is locked up cheap for the next 4 years, gain an extra 1st rounder and cut salary to add whatever missing pieces you feel are necessary to make a cup run.

Maybe Hedman would be the smarter choice for the Pens anyway though. A defense of Gonchar, Streit, Hedman, Orpik, Letang and Goligoski would probably be the most solid unit in the league. Add in Crosby and a big UFA signing at forward and the Pens could be the top team in the East.

Hard to give up Malkin though, I understand why you wouldn't do it.
They say JT has all the potential in the world, but yet I really don't think Malkin OR Crosby are even close to what they could potentially be in a few more years.

Also if the Pens did that, they wouldnt be the team that didn't draft JT 1st overall. Believe me, Hedmans good, but JT is crazy good.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 675
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
No freakin way.

San Joses pick is late and Streit doesn't come close to making up the difference between a prospect (no matter how hyped that prospect may be) and one of the top three players in the world, locked up long term and only 22 years old. It isn't even slightly close to making up that difference. Would you make this same proposal for Ovechkin?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 06:08 AM
AK

Not even remotely close to enough.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
No thanks.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

As an Islanders fan I wouldn't do this..... Streit and whoever we could get with that #1 will surely go as far in helping this franchise win as any one Malkin could...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Again it comes down to why don't the Penguins just keep what they have? They're not in any type of rebuild so why do this? Streit is a nice player believe me but other than that it's a move a basement team would make if they had one star on their team.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Caseman

Stupid trade for both sides.

The Islanders aren't one player away from getting over the hump. They need those picks to rebuild. Is the OP sure he is a real Islander fan?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:35 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

As a biased Islanders fan I'd rather keep the picks and Mark Streit, and let the Penguins deal with Malkin and Crosby.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Carboneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
As an Islanders fan I wouldn't do this..... Streit and whoever we could get with that #1 will surely go as far in helping this franchise win as any one Malkin could...
Malkin has 97 POINTS!!!!!!!

Pitt would laugh at this proposal

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Okposofan21

no thanks!

i'll keep our picks and players!

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
E_Godard

I would love to have Malkin on the Isles.

But the reality is... the Islanders are rebuilding and Pittsburgh has no reason to move Malkin. The Isles are not looking to trade all their assets and upcoming draft picks for 1 star player. That would be more of a Milbury-esque move at this point then anything.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Haha...hell no.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post

Lots of nonsens in your post, but I'll choose my battle here. Tavares is being Compared to Crosby? By who? Not a chance. Tavares peak , if lucky, will be Heatley. I.E. An average skater with great goal scoring instincts.

This would be a horrible trade for the Pens. You don't trade a bonafide super star, a sure thing, for a maybe.

Last edited by NewFang: 03-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.
NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
pensown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
As a biased Islanders fan I'd rather keep the picks and Mark Streit, and let the Penguins deal with Malkin and Crosby.
Classic, like Malkin and Crosby are a bad thing.

"Ill keep my Toyota Camry and let that dumby deal with his Ferrari and Bentley"

pensown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Your right, "Heavy is the head that wears the crown".

What a burden we must DEAL with, 2 of the 3 premier players in the league on our team.

"Whoa is us".

Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It is true that Tavares is probably going to be a star, maybe even a superstar. Yet Malkin is a superstar right now, no "probably" about it. He's poised to win the Art Ross this year, and this at a very young age. The Penguins understandably pass.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Alex28*

Yeah, Pens pass if it doesn't include Okposo. No way is Malkin traded without their biggest need getting addressed in return. Something centered around Staal and Streit or Staal and Bergenheim (with stuff thrown in for balance) is more workable. If Tavares is picked (as he should be, Hedman may become a rock but Tavares is the kind of guy that saves you from bankrupcy), Bailey would probably be the odd man out unless they convert him to wing.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboneer View Post
Malkin has 97 POINTS!!!!!!!

Pitt would laugh at this proposal
Of course they would, but the Islanders don't really have an incentive to do it either. Malkin is great, but he's still a single player. If you are at the bottom of the league and try to rebuild with youth, why would you throw all your youth plus your best defenseman at a team to acquire a single player?

edit: now that I think of it, this is more fitting for what the real cost of Malkin would be, not the proposal of the op.

A star is great, especially if he's the league leader in points, but a whole team full with good to great players is even better. The Islanders have a plan, and that plan shouldn't be destroyed by going after someone who costs the world, like Malkin.

I never understood why people make those proposals. Teams aren't going to trade players of that caliber just for the heck of it, nor do teams at the bottom throw all their youth plus some more at other teams, it would be wasting all those years of rebuilding.
The Islanders, minus all the assets they would trade, are not in a position to be a contender, even with Malkin. The Penguins, on the other hand, are in a very good position to use him. They have some holes, but are still up there with quite a few other teams.

Last edited by Sanderson: 03-17-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Hockeygod66

horrible proposal. laughable that some islander fans wouldn't take this cause malkin might hurt their attempt at a rebuild.

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Hockeygod66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Of course they would, but the Islanders don't really have an incentive to do it either. Malkin is great, but he's still a single player. If you are at the bottom of the league and try to rebuild with youth, why would you throw all your youth plus your best defenseman at a team to acquire a single player?

A star is great, especially if he's the league leader in points, but a whole team full with good to great players is even better. The Islanders have a plan, and that plan shouldn't be destroyed by going after someone who costs the world, like Malkin.

I never understood why people make those proposals. Teams aren't going to trade players of that caliber just for the heck of it, nor do teams at the bottom throw all their youth plus some more at other teams, it would be wasting all those years of rebuilding.
Your youth consists of two underdrafted players and 31 year old mark streit?

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote