HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tom Gilbert

Old
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Tom Gilbert

Hey i was listeining to post game coverage after the game between edmonton and st louis on 630 ched radio staion in edmonton and they where saying that edmonton is probably going to try and keep denis grebeshkov and move tom gilbert so could somebody tell me what the oilers can get for gilbert here is gilbert's numbers
Also it has to be gilbert for a forward because the oilers obviosuly have to much money already in there defence core

The guy is 26 yrs old

Last yr 82 games 13 goals 20 assists 33 points
this yr 69 games 4 goals 34 assists 38 points
on pace for 44 points

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
misfit

You can debate which of Grebeshkov or Gilbert is better until you're blue in the face, but what I don't understand is the idea that it's either one or the other. There's really no reason why we can't keep both, and guys like them are incredibly hard to come by.

Trading Gilbert to make room for Grebes doesn't make any sense at all. Gilbert is a huge part of this team's future.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
How about to NYI for BOS's 2nd and Robin Figren?

This is considering that EDM will really, truly go after Bouwmeester.

Would also open the door for a guy like Peckham.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
How about to NYI for BOS's 2nd and Robin Figren?

This is considering that EDM will really, truly go after Bouwmeester.

Would also open the door for a guy like Peckham.
How about Staios and a 4th for Okposo?

Old
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
You can debate which of Grebeshkov or Gilbert is better until you're blue in the face, but what I don't understand is the idea that it's either one or the other. There's really no reason why we can't keep both, and guys like them are incredibly hard to come by.

Trading Gilbert to make room for Grebes doesn't make any sense at all. Gilbert is a huge part of this team's future.
Depends on how low the cap is going to be for the 2010/11 season and how much you expect Grebeshkov will re-sign for (can't lowball Grebs - else someone will easily give him an offer sheet for $2.5 million at the cost of only a 2nd round pick).

If the cap is < $50 million - do the Oilers really want to tie up so much cap space on the blueline? Problem would be lessened if they could offload Staios' salary to another team (which won't be easy).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 03-18-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:00 PM
LimpDave

i could only see the oilers doing a move like this if grebs signs a 4 or more year contract with the oilers AND bouwmeester is going to sign here for a decent price as well (7.25m tops i think)

so if the oilers sign grebs to a 4 year 14m dollar contract

sign bouwmeester to a 6 year 43m dollar contract

i could see this working out in the long term if we trade gilbert to help in an area we are weaker in (goalie prospects, top 6 forwards, cheaper bottom 6 contracts, physical d)

and your right it would open room for Peckham

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Depends on how long the cap is going to be for the 2010/11 season and how much you expect Grebeshkov will re-sign for (can't lowball Grebs - else someone will easily give him an offer sheet for $2.5 million at the cost of only a 2nd round pick).

If the cap is < $50 million - do the Oilers really want to tie up so much cap space on the blueline? Problem would be lessened if they could offload Staios' salary to another team (which won't be easy).
If Grebeshkov signs a $2.5M offer, the Oilers will just match it. As for 2010/2011, a lot can happen in a year, and they've got almost $10M coming off the books over that span in UFAs alone. Edmonton also has the money to buy out players if they need to, giving them even more cap relief if they get desperate. They don't have to trade Gilbert.

Old
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
As for 2010/2011, a lot can happen in a year, and they've got almost $10M coming off the books over that span in UFAs alone.
They still will have $36.25 million (cap-hit) tied-up for 10 players in 2010/11. Assuming cap is $50 million - that leaves $13.75 million for 12 players with Gagner & Cogs due raises (and no goalie - at present - under contract).

I'm not saying it's not doable (re: keeping Gilbert) - only that it won't be easy.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
misfit

Quote:
They still will have $36.25 million (cap-hit) tied-up for 10 players in 2010/11. Assuming cap is $50 million - that leaves $13.75 million for 12 players with Gagner & Cogs due raises (and no goalie - at present - under contract).
As a long time Redskins fan, I've learned that just because it looks like a team will be in cap hell down the road, it doens't mean they will be.

Staios buyout: $1.47M savings
Moreau buyout: $1.42M savings
Penner trade: $4.25M savings
Either Souray or Visnovsky trade: $5.4M - $5.6M savings

all of which make more sense for the Oilers than trading Gilbert for 50 cents on the dollar (or less considering they wouldn't be wanting to take any salary back).

Old
03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
As a long time Redskins fan, I've learned that just because it looks like a team will be in cap hell down the road, it doens't mean they will be.

Staios buyout: $1.47M savings
Moreau buyout: $1.42M savings
Penner trade: $4.25M savings
Either Souray or Visnovsky trade: $5.4M - $5.6M savings

all of which make more sense for the Oilers than trading Gilbert for 50 cents on the dollar (or less considering they wouldn't be wanting to take any salary back).
unfortunately, unlike the NFL, were they can just release players and won't count against the cap, a buyout in the NHL means that you have that hit against the cap.

If you buyout a player, than 2/3rd of their remaining salary will be going against the salary cap spread out over twice the remaining term of the original contract.

So, with Staios, he's got $5mill remaining over 2 more years... that means the oilers would have $825K against the salary cap over the next 4yrs.

Moreau's would be about $580K/yr over the next 4yrs.

So if you buyout those 2 players alone, you're looking at about $1.4mill against the cap for the next 4yrs.

And Souray and Visnovsky you could probably trade... but no one is going to pick up Penner at $4.25mill/yr for another 3 season for a guy that has been a healthy scratch so many times and has struggled all year long. He is a dead weight - and a heavy one at that, that isn't going to be picked up by any other team... he would very easily slide through waivers right now.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
misfit

There's usually a cap hit involved when a player gets released in the NFL too.

As for Moreau and Staios' buyouts, I know the rule. I was referring to them being bought out next offseason (before the 10/11 season) when the cap is expected to drop. The Oilers have plenty of cap room to keep everyone next year.

And in regards to Penner, I don't doubt at all there would be a team willing to take a chance at him, but if nobody wants him and Edmonton is desperate to rid themselves of his salary (neither of which I think are true), they have the money to burry him in the minors if need be.

The point is, if you're a team who can afford to spend, there are always options outside of trading away your best players.

Last edited by misfit: 03-18-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

You can bury contracts in the minors if worse comes to worse and it makes your team better.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
oilersfan11

This might sound stupid but what are the chances of edmonton trading both grebeshkov and gilbert to get a high end forward , sign jay bo then trade staios for picks cause don't see anyone wanting his contract so then edmonton's defence core would be

souray-Bouwmeester
smid-Visnovsky
Peckham-Strudwick

Extra Petry

Old
03-18-2009, 02:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I would give up SJS 1st and a 3rd for Gilbert. Our D is horrible and to have a proven guy like Gilbert would be perfect for the Islanders.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
I would give up SJS 1st and a 3rd for Gilbert. Our D is horrible and to have a proven guy like Gilbert would be perfect for the Islanders.

Gilbert is worth more than sj 1st and 3rd pick edmonton would get shamballed in that

Old
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
thats overpayment. Would you give a 1st rounder let alone add another 3rd round pick for a guy who is a second paring defencemen?

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
thats overpayment. Would you give a 1st rounder let alone add another 3rd round pick for a guy who is a second paring defencemen?
the Isles did get a 1st rounder for Campoli, didn't they?

and Gilbert is better than Campoli IMO...

also, in the past we've seen 1st rounders go for good rental 2nd pairing dmen as well! Witt got a 1st at the deadline... Rivet got a 1st as well... these guys aren't exactly top pairing guys, although solid top 4 dmen, but were also rentals at the time.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Post #14:
Quote:
Post #15:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Gilbert is worth more than sj 1st and 3rd pick edmonton would get shamballed in that
Post #16:
Quote:
I love this place.

On the actual thread topic - I wouldn't mind having Gilbert in union blue, but I'm not sure who or what we could (afford to) give up.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Post #14:

Post #15:

Post #16:

I love this place.

On the actual thread topic - I wouldn't mind having Gilbert in union blue, but I'm not sure who or what we could (afford to) give up.
Ok fine, lets see if he does get traded for a 1st round pick. Overpaid second pairing defencemen. Go for it Isles. This will just make the OIlers weaker.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Andrew B

Gilbert's value is about equal to Whitney's. He's locked up to a better deal, and isn't getting the same Ice Time as Whitney did. He's playing "2nd Pairing" Minutes because of our coachs boneheaded way of promoting burned-out veterans. In fact until Visnovsky was hurt, the Souray-Gilbert pairing was playing tough minutes for the Oilers and succeeding.

So, looking at the Whitney trade as a template, Gilbert's worth is somewhere around a decent-good top-6 winger and a top-er prospect.

Before anyone even suggests trades (many of them boneheaded), remember that the only way the Oilers trade him is for improvement in their top-6. Someone like a James Neal comes to mind as the perfect fit for the Oilers.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:22 PM
grabo84

Gilbert won't get you James Neal.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Ok fine, lets see if he does get traded for a 1st round pick. Overpaid second pairing defencemen. Go for it Isles. This will just make the OIlers weaker.
You completely misunderstand. I'm not even attempting to evaluate the proposal there. I just find it highly amusing that after one proposal, the two replies immediately following are "zomg underpayment" and "zomg overpayment".

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Gilbert won't get you James Neal.
I disagree, however I believe I said someone like.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:36 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:

I'm not saying it's not doable (re: keeping Gilbert) - only that it won't be easy.
If the cap declines, then those raises for Gagner/Cogliano are suddenly going to be a lot less expensive. Cap decline = multiple teams in cap trouble + multiple teams with economic headaches = few suitors for RFA offer sheets = no bargaining leverage for RFAs like Gagner/Cogliano. Same story for whatever goalie the Oilers manage to stumble upon. Also, if Gagner in particular has another season like this one, his 2nd contract could be a cheap/short bridge contract while he proves himself and earns a big 3rd contract.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
I disagree, however I believe I said someone like.
Exackly i disagree too tom gilbert is underated