HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boivin wants a francophone coach

Old
03-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayes View Post
Sure. Therrien/Julien's old assistant didn't do so well in Montreal wouldn't you say?
Who was Julien's old assistant that coached in Montreal?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:58 AM
jhayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Who was Julien's old assistant that coached in Montreal?
Oops. Gainey's. I forgot that Carbo came back on after Julien was removed.

jhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
You've got to love using an example from 33 years ago.
Get out of your basement, there is no war!!!! http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/shakeshead.gif

You're such a troll

33 years ago? this was LAST WEEK .You soon see why they got a gun to there heads for a "French coach" .heck even a guy who has lived in Quebec for 16 YEARS and speaks french is loook down on .check it out

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Landr...420/story.html

Sabia's detractors in the world of business were rapidly eclipsed last weekend by his detractors in the world of politics. Even by his own standards, former premier Bernard Landry said a mouthful: The choice was "more than an error ... It's a fault. It is almost a provocation ... It has nothing to do with where he was born ... It is his national culture, which is Canadian."

The horror! Although the Ontario native Sabia has lived here for 16 years and speaks respectable French, he is just not one of us, Landry was saying. And only one of us can be trusted to manage our money.

It would be soothing to think that this sort of blatantly ethnic nationalism is just part of the flamboyant Landry political persona. The trouble is that the sickness is more deeply rooted than any one man. Even the estimable André Pratte, editorial page editor at La Presse, opined last week that Sabia's name "shouldn't even be on the list of candidates" to head the Caisse because he is "from another province or another country." Pratte had the grace to apologize promptly, blaming a "detestable Quebecer's reflex" and adding that if Quebec claims to be a welcoming society, it must find room, even at the top, for those born elsewhere.

Good. But years of separatist propagandizing are bearing fruit, and no doubt many francophones today disapprove of the Sabia choice for the wrong reasons. How sad, and how dangerous.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Come on Doug.....I think that it's time that people make the difference between separatists and nationalists. I could still be proud of who I am, I could still want that the Habs give the chance to players or to coaches from my province without wanting to separate or without wanting to kill every other Canadian that is not a Quebecer.

I believe Jean Charest is just as much proud to be a Quebecer than Bernard Landry. So why would you give us article about the guy who once was the Separatists' leader and think that every person who would prefer to have more french content ALSO want to separate from Canada?

This is where the confusion starts as far as the rest of Canada is concerned. You talk and you're proud of your province, you would like to have more local flavor to your team means you're a separatist who wants to destroy Canada. It can't be further from the truth.

Wanting a person who can speak french for the Habs next coach has nothing to do with Landry not wanting a Canadian for La Caisse de Dépôt. As far as I'm concerned, the most separatists guys like Réjean Tremblay and others want Bob Hartley.....isn't he franco-ontarian? Which makes him canadian?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Come on Doug.....I think that it's time that people make the difference between separatists and nationalists. I could still be proud of who I am, I could still want that the Habs give the chance to players or to coaches from my province without wanting to separate or without wanting to kill every other Canadian that is not a Quebecer.

I believe Jean Charest is just as much proud to be a Quebecer than Bernard Landry. So why would you give us article about the guy who once was the Separatists' leader and think that every person who would prefer to have more french content ALSO want to separate from Canada?

This is where the confusion starts as far as the rest of Canada is concerned. You talk and you're proud of your province, you would like to have more local flavor to your team means you're a separatist who wants to destroy Canada. It can't be further from the truth.

Wanting a person who can speak french for the Habs next coach has nothing to do with Landry not wanting a Canadian for La Caisse de Dépôt. As far as I'm concerned, the most separatists guys like Réjean Tremblay and others want Bob Hartley.....isn't he franco-ontarian? Which makes him canadian?

im not making any political statements in my posting of these links.
it shows what there up against . and there was many more beside Landry that spoke out .

im with Carbo who cares french english chinese as long as they win BUT we all know that isnt going to happen(english and Chinese).......my bet would be even if the coach that was pure english was available, had won 5 stanley cups , i bet they would have to pass him over due to "language" ).Thats sad but true .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Marc Crawford just said on CBC that he would love to Coach the Habs and that he likes Gainey a lot.
Sounds like someone desperate for a job...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Gainey should hire him right now.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Gainey should hire him right now.
Honestly, I'd pick Hartley ahead of Crawford. I've seen him coach too many years here in BC. He's nothing special. Hartley is a no non-sense coach at least and he's more offensive minded.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Honestly, I'd pick Hartley ahead of Crawford. I've seen him coach too many years here in BC. He's nothing special. Hartley is a no non-sense coach at least and he's more offensive minded.
I like Crawford because he doesn't seem to play the trap and his teams are not afraid to get dirty.

But I meant along the line that if he wants to coach that he should coach right away, given Habs will probably miss the playoffs and he's gonna get fired along with Bob.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
im not making any political statements in my posting of these links.
it shows what there up against . and there was many more beside Landry that spoke out .
Most people were critiques of Sabias because of his qualification not his origins. Cousineau from LaPresse, Ultrafederalist Pratte from LaPresse (who btw were also critic of his origin and the implicaition it has for an institution like la CDQ before retracting himself).

Quote:
im with Carbo who cares french english chinese as long as they win BUT we all know that isnt going to happen(english and Chinese).......my bet would be even if the coach that was pure english was available, had won 5 stanley cups , i bet they would have to pass him over due to "language" ).Thats sad but true .
You can continue to ignore what has been said by the management and the expectations of the majority of the fans (next coach will have to be able to communicate in french) and living in your fantasy world where a language cannot be learn. It will not change the fact that ANYBODY can be the coach of the Montreal Canadiens as long as he learn french to communicate with his environment.

Now everybody can continue to pretend that all we want is a pure-laine quebecois and continue the faux-debat if they want.

Erngueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:21 AM
otto bond

I just send my cv. I speak french

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:22 AM
otto bond

My 1st move would be putting Koivu, Kovalev, Hammerless, Komi, Higgins in the stand for the rest of the year.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:28 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Doug , try to do better next time . We would be able to crash the board with similar quotes from both canadians or quebecers .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Teufelsdreck

Boivin severely complicates the problem of finding a winning coach. Fire Boivin, and instantly the door opens to a much wider choice of candidates. Florida and the Islanders, among others, have struck gold. Has anyone noticed that foreign teams, even some national teams, are open to hiring North American coaches who don't speak the native language? Only Québec persists in this narrowmindedness, which not only rules out competent coaches but also discourages top flight UFAs from signing here. Such sensitivity to local concerns obviously reflects a deeply rooted inferiority complex that doesn't affect 29 other NHL cities. I've become deeply pessimistic about the chances of seeing another Stanley Cup celebration in Montréal. Sometimes I question my own stubborn loyalty to the Habs despite theirchronic decline from respectability that started in the 1990s. As of this moment, they play as though they're the weakest team in the entire NHL, struggling to win any game against supposedly inferior opponents.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 03-22-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
My choice is someone who is currently a gm but could be available if they don't make the playoffs.

Jacques Martin isn't Quebcois though, like Claude Julien, so even though he's french that's a strike against him for some.

The Sens have had a revolving door of coaches since he left, he was the best coach they ever had.

I have had the impression that he would rather be a coach then a gm so I would not be surprised to see him back behind someone's bench like Keenan.
He's had a break from coaching as well, which should help.

When he was hired in Ottawa the team was a mess.

He didn't even have any assistants. But he helped build them into a perennial playoff team.

Love this move.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote