HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boivin wants a francophone coach

Old
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Looking foolish is posting crap like what I've just quoted. Pot meet kettle.

I know it must hurt to see how wrong you were about Carbonneau's firing and defending that heartless Kovalev of yours and seeing the results now. I'll just leave it as that... speaking of foolish.
No no, I didn't look foolish. Carbo defended Kovalev.

Instead of calling him heartless, you should say OLD.
Don't blame Kovalev because you expected too much.

Last edited by Majik1987: 03-20-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Flaming
Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Bronto Dan

Am I the only one who spotted this mistake in the article:

Fait intéressant, de tous les entraîneurs francophones qui oeuvrent ou ont oeuvré récemment dans la Ligue nationale de hockey, seulement deux ne sont pas passés dans le giron du bleu, blanc, rouge: Joël Quenneville et Bob Hartley.

Queneville doesn't speak french and he missed Denis Savard...

Bronto Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
DDIHH

Boivin should not care about the language our next HC will speak. He should care about the fact that his organization totally ****ed up the centennial year and thet he may be searching for a new job in May.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
habs1988

Well..

First thing to do : Evaluate the best French coach available.
Second thing to do : Evaluate the best non-French coach available.
Third thing to do : Compare both and choose one.

With this way, it will be way more easier to choose. We would have the 2 best candidates, and we evaluate them according to langage, experience, ideology etc...

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Newhabfan

HOLY MISQUOTING BATMAN!!

Please read this (since you probably did not read the original article before reacting)

The original (link http://www.cyberpresse.ca/la-tribune...n-francais.php)

"C'est presque une obligation que le prochain entraîneur soit en mesure de s'adresser aux partisans et aux médias dans leur langue...."

Translation:

It's almost an obligation that the next coach is capable of addressing the fans and the media in their language

This got turned by "analysts" into "it has to be a francophone coach " Notice a difference ? Francophone means having french as your first language.

What Boivin said is that being capable of speaking french will be an important criteria. Big deal. This does not exclude Don Lever (who said he is willing and capable to learn french) or even any other anglo coach.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Boivin is like the Queen, he is just a figurehead. This team markets itself. The on ice product has changed dramatically and so they are more popular.
Ahhh yes, as was proven 2years ago and this year again, we truly have a team filed with Superstars.

Our on ice product hasn't changed much. Different names, but we're still fighting for our PO spot just like we've been in the past 10-15years.

Old
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Well..

First thing to do : Evaluate the best French coach available.
Second thing to do : Evaluate the best non-French coach available.
Third thing to do : Compare both and choose one.

With this way, it will be way more easier to choose. We would have the 2 best candidates, and we evaluate them according to langage, experience, ideology etc...
**** THAT!!!!!...language has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

The first thing to do is to find the best coach available, regardless of whether or not he can speak french. When that is done, the team can look into him getting french courses or they can hire a competent assistant coach from the Q or who is bilingual and who can address the media on behalf of the coaching staff.

Getting someone to speak french for reporters/fans post games is something the Habs should look to try to accomodate, it shouldn't be a job requirement. And as long as it is a job requirement, the pool of candidates gets smaller and less qualified.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
It's very important to me for a coach to explain clearly and concisely why this team sucks in two languages.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto Dan View Post
Am I the only one who spotted this mistake in the article:

Fait intéressant, de tous les entraîneurs francophones qui oeuvrent ou ont oeuvré récemment dans la Ligue nationale de hockey, seulement deux ne sont pas passés dans le giron du bleu, blanc, rouge: Joël Quenneville et Bob Hartley.

Queneville doesn't speak french and he missed Denis Savard...
You sure Quenneville doesn't speak french?..maybe he learned it while being assistant coach in Qc.

He was talking about people that didn't pass through Mtl. Denis Savard already played here.

Old
03-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Talent Analyst

Lever clairly said that he will learn french fast if he has to. No big deal with it.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Not to nit-pick, but "francophone" means "able to speak french", w/o reference to a mother tongue. For instance, I am anglophone, hispanophone, francophone and gibberishophone.
You are totally right from an academic point of view (and I was aware of that) - however the error is not mine. This whole thread is a reaction from the other perspective - people were perceiving that Don Lever or other anglophone were excluded. Also check this in the same article

"Fait intéressant, de tous les entraîneurs francophones qui oeuvrent ou ont oeuvré récemment dans la Ligue nationale de hockey, seulement deux ne sont pas passés dans le giron du bleu, blanc, rouge: Joël Quenneville et Bob Hartley"

I could bet there are some anglo coaches that actually do speak French in the NHL.

Wikipedia definition:

The adjective francophone (alternately Francophone) means French-speaking, typically as primary language, whether referring to individuals, groups, or places. Often, the word is used as a noun to describe a natively French-speaking person.[1][2]

In a narrower sense, the notion of "francophone" reaches beyond the dictionary definition of "French language speaker". The term specifically refers to people whose cultural background is primarily associated with French language, regardless of ethnic and geographical differences.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

hire the best ****ing coach available..no matter what language he speaks.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Capitano

Part of me wants to see Hartley hired so he can whip the crap out of these no good bums.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Puckhead58*

It better be Hartley or Crawford then....no more of taking former Habs players and giving them their first NHL coaching job. I want someone with experience and someone who knows how to motivate his team to win games and play hard.

Don Lever would be the perfect coach because he coached most of the Habs roster in Hamilton and done a fine job with them, but just because he can't speak french, he is going to lose out and we are going to do without a coach that could turn this team around.

I guess its not going to matter anyways because most of the UFA's we have, won't be back with the Habs next year.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Part of me wants to see Hartley hired so he can whip the crap out of these no good bums.
The problem is that the ones that deserve to be whipped will hopefully be gone as they're UFA's this summer.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
hire the best ****ing coach available..no matter what language he speaks.
Again, that notion, like the BPA notion at the draft is pretty hard to evaluate. Like I've already said in past threads, let's pretend every coach in the NHL is available. Who would you want? Who really fits in the best coaches category? But then, isn't it possible to think that at least 20 coaches out there might be equivalent?

Personnally, I think that if any coaches would be available, I wouldn't care about the language and would hire guys like Babcock, Ruff, Lemaire (french speaking but wouldn't hire him on that base), probably McLellan in San Jose but then who else? But then if everybody else is almonst equivalent, why wouldn't you go with the 2nd criteria which is french speaking? Is De Boer really better than what a guy like Guy Boucher could do? A guy that was so highly liked and recommanded by Pat Quinn? How is Benoit Groulx surely not a better choice than Clouston?

Great to have guys with experience, but you would really consider guys like, Keenan, Hitchcock, McTavish, Tippett and so on ahead of guys maybe less experienced but french speaking? Would you take back Julien then who continuously prooves that he's amongst the best?

And then, my game was to take any coaches out there....imagine when you have only the "available coaches" to pick from....who are those guys surely WAY better than the "french" candidates out there? Thing is based on the experience alone, the best available candidate is....Hartley.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Lever clairly said that he will learn french fast if he has to. No big deal with it.
just pronounce it levé and everyone will be happy

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
The day the United States will elect an only spanish-speaking President, call me back...

(Actually call me back when a NHL team will hired a none english-speaking coach)
You do realize that despite the fact that Montréal is in Quebec, the rest of the NHL is English. If there was a team in Russia, their coach would probably speak English and Russian, maybe just English.

If Quebecois people want to have a coach who speaks French and doesn't care whether he speaks English, or if he's even a good coach, then fine. It seems they must have adapted to mediocrity. I, and many others have a desire to see the team be competitive on the ice and behind the bench. Like I said earlier, I don't give a flying **** if the coach only speaks Chinese, if we win, we win. Too many people don't comprehend the aspect of winning they just want to be happy for a week, before the habs start losing tons of games and they're upset, wanting a new coahc, but not based on ability, rather where he was born.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
You are totally right from an academic point of view (and I was aware of that) - however the error is not mine. This whole thread is a reaction from the other perspective - people were perceiving that Don Lever or other anglophone were excluded. Also check this in the same article

"Fait intéressant, de tous les entraîneurs francophones qui oeuvrent ou ont oeuvré récemment dans la Ligue nationale de hockey, seulement deux ne sont pas passés dans le giron du bleu, blanc, rouge: Joël Quenneville et Bob Hartley"

I could bet there are some anglo coaches that actually do speak French in the NHL.

Wikipedia definition:

The adjective francophone (alternately Francophone) means French-speaking, typically as primary language, whether referring to individuals, groups, or places. Often, the word is used as a noun to describe a natively French-speaking person.[1][2]

In a narrower sense, the notion of "francophone" reaches beyond the dictionary definition of "French language speaker". The term specifically refers to people whose cultural background is primarily associated with French language, regardless of ethnic and geographical differences.
I see and stand somewhat corrected. The french dictionaries I consulted listed francophone as "qui parle français" or "de langue française", w/o reference to mother tongue.

But what about gibberishophone?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The problem is that the ones that deserve to be whipped will hopefully be gone as they're UFA's this summer.
I think the ones that deserve to be whipped are more Higgins/Plek/Kost Broz/Price.

Plek does give an effort every night, but I can't say the same for the rest of them.

I think you're mistaken if you think it's up to Kovalev and Koivu to carry this team when it's apparent they're just too old to do it.
Higgins was supposed to become our next captain, but yea, it's Kovalev's fault he looks like crap.

Last edited by Majik1987: 03-20-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: flaming
Old
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think the ones that deserve to be whipped are more Higgins/Plek/Kost Broz/Price.

Plek does give an effort every night, but I can't say the same for the rest of them.

I think you're mistaken if you think it's up to Kovalev and Koivu to carry this team when it's apparent they're just too old to do it.
Higgins was supposed to become our next captain, but yea, it's Kovalev's fault he looks like crap.
But there icetime, especially in key situations, dictates that the team does indeed expect them to carry this team.

Last edited by Majik1987: 03-20-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: edit quote
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Ross MacLochness

Ugh.

This is what I wanted to hear this morning.

**** sakes.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
m00ks

If Boivin was my uncle, he'd be the crazy one.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Who's getting the key ice time? Who are supposed to be our best offensive players? How much are they getting paid compared to the ones you're mentioning here? Is it normal that Latendresse (who gets most of the bashing on this board), Kostopoulos and Lapierre be our best offensive players, better than Koivu and Kovalev?

Last edited by Majik1987: 03-20-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: edit quote
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If Quebecois people want to have a coach who speaks French and doesn't care whether he speaks English, or if he's even a good coach, then fine. It seems they must have adapted to mediocrity. I, and many others have a desire to see the team be competitive on the ice and behind the bench. Like I said earlier, I don't give a flying **** if the coach only speaks Chinese, if we win, we win. Too many people don't comprehend the aspect of winning they just want to be happy for a week, before the habs start losing tons of games and they're upset, wanting a new coahc, but not based on ability, rather where he was born.
But then that's not the debate whatsoever. Nobody, even Réjean Tremblay or Michel Villeneuve would want Jean Charest as the coach just because he speaks french. The worst separatist on this planet never thought to give that job to a 7-year old girl, just cause she speaks perfect french already. That is never the point. But then, with a little patience, something we had for the last 15 years now, french coaches throughout this league have proved that they can be just as good.

It will always be based on ability....thing is, there are great coaches in this province that also speaks french in the process. Why wouldn't we target those guys? Why wouldn't you want Guy Boucher in Hamilton? Why would we want Benoit Groulx? Please note that I'm also only talking about the best out there.....nobody is pretending that Richard Martel would be able to do the job 'cause he only speaks french......

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote