HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boivin wants a francophone coach

Old
03-20-2009, 12:32 PM
RonFournier

vCash: 500
Before whining like little girls as usual can anyone just tell me which non-french speaking coach with NHL experience they'd want so bad? 'Cause when I read this thread I see lots of people saying "OMG WE'RE MISSING AAAAALL THE BEST COACHES AAAAAAHHHH THE END IS NEAR", but no one's giving examples of great english coaches that we can't have due to the language issue. IWONDERWHYLOL.

When you complain about a problem you have to come up with solutions also because otherwise you are a whining piece of poopoo.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Before whining like little *****es as usual can anyone just tell me which non-french speaking coach with NHL experience they'd want so bad? 'Cause when I read this thread I see lots of people saying "OMG WE'RE MISSING AAAAALL THE BEST COACHES AAAAAAHHHH THE END IS NEAR", but no one's giving examples of great english coaches that we can't have due to the language issue. IWONDERWHYLOL.

When you complain about a problem you have to come up with solutions also because otherwise you are a whining piece of ****.
To me...just the fact that language is even an issue when discussing the future coach, disturbs me.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wait! Therrien got fired, didn't he?! Maybe we can get him back! He speaks French!

And maybe we can pry Savard away from his front office job with the Hawks!

So that's Hartley, Therrien, and maybe Savard...wow, the field is wide open now!
All have NHL experience, there is one who even won the cup, and an other one who was a few victories away from getting it. What is the problem?

This is not a fancy thing: part of a coaches job is to speak with the medias, and the medias here are french.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Newhabfan

OK. I'll post it again - before commenting read the story.

BOIVIN NEVER SAID THIS. HE WAS GROSSLY MISQUOTED AND MISINTERPRETED

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
All have NHL experience, there is one who even won the cup, and an other one who was a few victories away from getting it. What is the problem?

This is not a fancy thing: part of a coaches job is to speak with the medias, and the medias here are french and English.
Fixed.

Hartley is probably the best choice out of all of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
OK. I'll post it again - before commenting read the story.

BOIVIN NEVER SAID THIS. HE WAS GROSSLY MISQUOTED AND MISINTERPRETED
It has changed from what Boivin said to just the old "We need a coach who speaks French regardless" bs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Before whining like little girls as usual can anyone just tell me which non-french speaking coach with NHL experience they'd want so bad? 'Cause when I read this thread I see lots of people saying "OMG WE'RE MISSING AAAAALL THE BEST COACHES AAAAAAHHHH THE END IS NEAR", but no one's giving examples of great english coaches that we can't have due to the language issue. IWONDERWHYLOL.

When you complain about a problem you have to come up with solutions also because otherwise you are a whining piece of poopoo.
Laviolette,Quinn,Hartsburg. I just wonder why nobody else has approached Hartley since he left Atlanta.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Fixed.

It has changed from what Boivin said to just the old "We need a coach who speaks French regardless" bs.
So - so you mean that the article on cyberpresse was edited after ? Got proof ? Cause I seriously doubt it.

And even then - if it was edited like this it means that his real position is this one.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
So - so you mean that the article on cyberpresse was edited after ? Got proof ? Cause I seriously doubt it.

And even then - if it was edited like this it means that his real position is this one.
I mean the topic has changed from what Boivin said to the debate that the coach must speak French.

My mistake.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mousepad*

He also said that the organisation will do everything possible in order to land an impact player from Quebec.

Quote from RDS:
"Le président a également ajouté que le Canadien allait tout mettre en oeuvre pour mettre la main sur un joueur d'impact québécois."

EndQuote

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
BS and I hope Boivin is also fired after this season!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:47 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I mean the topic has changed from what Boivin said to the debate that the coach must speak French.

My mistake.

Boivin opens his mouth twice a year and has still never been able to back it up.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ahhh yes, as was proven 2years ago and this year again, we truly have a team filed with Superstars.

Our on ice product hasn't changed much. Different names, but we're still fighting for our PO spot just like we've been in the past 10-15years.
There is no sense in arguing with you if you somehow think this team is not better than the ones in the late 90's. The two upsets against Boston and the minimal playoff success is still success in the eyes of the fans. Not to mention 1st place last year. I could do Boivin's job.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
But there icetime, especially in key situations, dictates that the team does indeed expect them to carry this team.
Yes, and that's Gainey's mistake. But what I think BG hoped for was for the youngsters to occupy a much bigger role by now.

Higgins was talked about as our future captain, he regressed over the years.
Plekanec had a very tough start this season, and although is playing better, still is underperforming.
A.Kost is a ghost on most giving nights.
S.Kost is now in the AHL.
Komisarek is playing like a rookie.
Lats although playing well, still was expected to have a bigger impact on our team by now.

They are our most important youngsters and the most talented ones. I think Gainey expected them to really carry this team this year, with some good veteran presence in Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev/Markov/Hamrlik.
But nothing worked. Now, our youngsters aren't that inexperienced anymore and they should take a part of the blame for their poor performances.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
There is no sense in arguing with you if you somehow think this team is not better than the ones in the late 90's. The two upsets against Boston and the minimal playoff success is still success in the eyes of the fans. Not to mention 1st place last year. I could do Boivin's job.
Our team is better, but the fact remains we're struggling to make the POs. I don't care if we have the same team, in the end it's all about the results.

Last year was a fluke. Look at 2years ago, look at this year. 2 out of 3 years we've struggled to make the POs, but we should focus on the year we exceeded all expectations to place our judgment?..

If you could do Boivin's job, maybe you should go after it. If you can be the President of one of Qc's most successful enterprise, than what the hell are you doing on a hockeyforum at 13h on a friday.

When you do land that job, hire me as GM as I'm sure I can do a better job than BG.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Miller Time

can't say I agree with him, but on the other hand I do understand his desire to have a guy that can communicate in french.

I wonder how he'd feel about hiring a guy who barely speaks the language but aggressively takes language classes prior to and during the season?

In any case, it would seem that Hartley should have a pretty big inside track on the position...

speaks french, NHL (cup winning) experience, apparently interested in the job.... hard to see Lever being able to beat him out.

I'd be happy to see Hartley on board with Muller and Lever as assistants.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
habs1988

I don't understand why Boivin should be fired. He has nothing to do with the performance on the ice, and he is not Gainey.

I mean, he's not the guy who decides the trades and the signatures. Yes, he has a veto, but the one who has the last answer is GIllett.

So, we should fired Gillett?

Guys..sometimes you are weird.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Roulin

What concerns me about this interview, is that Gainey does not seem to have the autonomy many of us thought he had. I'd rather hear Boivin talk about how he trusts Gainey to make the correct decision, instead of speaking about his and the rest of upper management's criteria for hiring a coach.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Subban Fan

Unless we make a good run in the playoffs, i'm pretty sure we're gonna see a major cleanup this summer...I cant wait to see Patrick Roy GM and Bob Hartley as a coach...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
To me...just the fact that language is even an issue when discussing the future coach, disturbs me.
Yup. It's the principal of the thing that's the problem. I don't care if there aren't any good experienced English-speaking coaches waiting to be hired (which may or may not be true). It's the fact that we're apparently not even allowed to consider them that bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

This is not a fancy thing: part of a coaches job is to speak with the medias, and the medias here are french.
No. The coach's job is to coach. Period. We're not hiring a mascot, or a PR guy, or any of that crap. I want someone who can get the best possible result out of the players in the games. End of story. I don't care if he's a Himalayan voodoo priest who doesn't speak any known Earthly language - if the players play well in his system, fine by me.

The media in this province have done dick all to show that they deserve to have a coach who can communicate with them on any level, let alone in a language that's most convenient to them.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes, and that's Gainey's mistake. But what I think BG hoped for was for the youngsters to occupy a much bigger role by now.

Higgins was talked about as our future captain, he regressed over the years.
Plekanec had a very tough start this season, and although is playing better, still is underperforming.
A.Kost is a ghost on most giving nights.
S.Kost is now in the AHL.
Komisarek is playing like a rookie.
Lats although playing well, still was expected to have a bigger impact on our team by now.

They are our most important youngsters and the most talented ones. I think Gainey expected them to really carry this team this year, with some good veteran presence in Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev/Markov/Hamrlik.
But nothing worked. Now, our youngsters aren't that inexperienced anymore and they should take a part of the blame for their poor performances.
Where I disagree with you is that even if guys like Higgins, Plekanec, Akost, Skost, Komisarek, Lats were expected to take on larger roles, it was still assumed that the vets Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlik and Markov (though he's held his end of the bargain this year) would pull their weight as well. If they aren't doing it, then the young vets won't either.

You know, if tomorrow night was an ultimate game for the Habs where they had to win to get into the playoffs and let's say there was 30 secs left in the game and the Habs down by 1 and they had a faceoff in the Leafs zone, who do you think would be on the ice? Akost? Plekanec? Latendresse??? No, they wouldn't...it would be Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang (if he was still healthy) Markov, Schneider.

But this year, those guys haven't held their own...that trickles down to the young vets.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberge43 View Post
While I get why they do it ... I still question the importance of it.
The Bell Center would still be full with an english speaking coach.

They always could force the english coach to hire a high profile french canadian assistant that could please the media.

Were the habs better with Bowman or with Tremblay ?
Really unbelievable!!!
Will someone have to prove he speaks french before handing over his hard earned dollar to attend a game? Buy a Habs sweater? Watch the game on TV? Since the majority of the province and Habs fans speak french, does everyone need to speak the language in order to be a true fan? After all, you should speak french to be a "real fan des Glorieux". Dryden, Robinson, Toe (Blake) and all the hundred other stars who donned the sweater would of been more appreciated if the spoke the language of Moliere!
Last I checked, most (if not all) reporters speak and/or understand english. Any interview could be translated. The coach manages the team and will not be broadcasting the game while his team plays.
Only in Montreal can they make language an issue regarding a sport figure who does not need to speak in order to be qualified.
I speak french and learned it before english. Does that mean I am a more devoted fan than an anglophone, but not as devoted as a francophone. In my job, I need to speak several languages to conduct my work. In the NHL, does a coach need to speak french to lead the Montreal team? I believe the majority of players speak english or at least understand the language. If the team had more Russian players, should the coach speak russian?
There are several Canadian hockey coaches over in Russia and Europe who do not speak the native language, yet have been employed because of their expertise. There are several European soccer coaches here in North America who do not speak much english, yet have been hired. Lo and behold should it happen in la terre des Habitants!
As Carbonneau mentioned a few days back, language should not be an issue (even if he was Chinese).
Politcs, politics, politics!
Really unbelievable!!! Or maybe just expected.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Where I disagree with you is that even if guys like Higgins, Plekanec, Akost, Skost, Komisarek, Lats were expected to take on larger roles, it was still assumed that the vets Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Hamrlik and Markov (though he's held his end of the bargain this year) would pull their weight as well. If they aren't doing it, then the young vets won't either.

You know, if tomorrow night was an ultimate game for the Habs where they had to win to get into the playoffs and let's say there was 30 secs left in the game and the Habs down by 1 and they had a faceoff in the Leafs zone, who do you think would be on the ice? Akost? Plekanec? Latendresse??? No, they wouldn't...it would be Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang (if he was still healthy) Markov, Schneider.

But this year, those guys haven't held their own...that trickles down to the young vets.
Absolutely, I agree that the vets could have done much better as well. I just think it's unfair to put all the blame on them as it's always done. I just said the youngsters need to take on their fair share of the blame too.

There's only a handful of players that can exclude themselves from any blame, Lappy, Kosto, Lang, Markov and Halak (maybe also Lats, although his development is slow). The rest are all in the same boat to me.

Last edited by Kriss E: 03-20-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
He also said that the organisation will do everything possible in order to land an impact player from Quebec.

Quote from RDS:
"Le président a également ajouté que le Canadien allait tout mettre en oeuvre pour mettre la main sur un joueur d'impact québécois."

EndQuote
(not at you, but at Boivin's comment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Boivin opens his mouth twice a year and has still never been able to back it up.
So true...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Blah blah blah, land Lecavalier in the summer or just shut up, we're tired of hearing this seasons after seasons.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Blah blah blah, land Lecavalier in the summer or just shut up, we're tired of hearing this seasons after seasons.
Just don't listen to it.

It would be disillusional to think that we have a good chance at getting him but I truly believe that there is hope as long as the US economy doesn't improve. You have ownership struggling to make ends meet there. It's a long shot, but it's a shot.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote