HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Burns on CKAC - 20.03

Old
03-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Pat Burns on CKAC - 20.03

link : http://www.corussports.com/blog/pat_...squau-bout.php

"propos recueillis par Sébastien Goulet)

Après le but de Guillaume Latendresse, je m'attendais à un bon match de la part du Canadien. Mais les Sénateurs ont répliqué dans la minute suivante. Jason Spezza a marqué deux buts en 52 secondes. On dirait toujours qu'il y a un relâchement après un but. On en a eu la preuve, hier.

Les deux points échappés, hier, et à quelques reprises au cours de la saison vont faire la différence au mois d'avril.

Je crois qu'Alex Kovalev a été blessé en début de match. On ne l'a pas vu pendant quatre ou cinq minutes. Je serais très étonné que Kovalev revienne avec le Canadien. Une bonne équipe, comme Détroit, pourrait venir le chercher au cours de l'été.

Un performance comme celle d'hier relance le débat sur Carey Price. J'en discutais avec Ken Hitchcock, qui a un cas semblable - un jeune gardien de but - avec Steve Mason, possiblement un candidat à la recrue de l'année. Il disait qu'il avait peur pour la saison prochaine. Mason a peut-être été chanceux d'avoir autant de présences, en profitant de la blessure à Pascal Leclaire, mais il en a profité. Carey Price, l'an dernier, a connu toute une saison pour un gardien de 20 ans. Je disais l'été dernier que j'avais peur de la pression que l'on allait mettre sur un gardien de 21 ans...

Le Canadien n'a plus le choix... il doit y aller avec Halak jusqu'à la fin."

Translation

"After Guillaume Latendresse scored, I was expecting a good game from the Canadien. Still - the Senators scored the next minute - Spezza score 2 goals in 52 seconds. You could say that there is a lack of effort (someone find a better translation for "relachement") after one goal - we had the proof.

The two points missed yesterday, just like at other moments of the season will make a difference in April.

I think Alex Kovalev was injured at the start of the game - he was not back on the ice for about 4-5 minutes. I would be very surprised to see Kovalev back with the Canadiens next year. A good team, like Detroit, could come and get him during summer.

A performance like yesterday will refuel the debate on Carey Price. I was talking about this with Ken Hitchcock, who has a similar case - a young goalie, Steve Mason, possibly a Calder candidate. He said he was afraid for next season. Mason was maybe lucky to be in so many games, he was favored by Leclaires injury - still he profited. Carey Price last year had a great season for a 20 years old goalie. I was saying last summer that I was afraid about the pression that was put on a 21 years goaler

Now, the Canadiens have no other choice - it has to be Halak till the end."

Ok, I know this will turn into a Kovy/Price/Habs/Gainey bashfest. However - before posting ask yourself this question ? "Is my hockey knowledge better than Pat Burns' ?"

'Cause I know the answer.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
TheCH*

I agree they need to ride Halak til the end. He has had an overall strong season. Ever since he stole 4 straight games, he has only started once. Meanwhile, Price has only won 4 of his last 18 starts. There is obvious unjustified favoritism going on here and the organization should be ashamed of themselves. Its should be about the Montreal Canadiens, not Carey Price.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I agree they need to ride Halak til the end. He has had an overall strong season. Ever since he stole 4 straight games, he has only started once. Meanwhile, Price has only won 4 of his last 18 starts. There is obvious unjustified favoritism going on here and the organization should be ashamed of themselves. Its should be about the Montreal Canadiens, not Carey Price.
Is it favoritism to play a goalie who is healthy over one who is sick? Then is it favoritism to play a goalie who had a .934 save percentage, when that goalie is suppose to be your number 1? I don't think so.

Price had a bad outing yesterday, and Halak should have the net on Saturday. That being said, on the last 4-5 games Price has been spectacular, facing 40+ shots a night. Heck when they did play Halak he did not fair any better, so I had no problems with Price going in the net yesterday, like I'll have no problems with Halak being in the net on Saturday.

People make way too much crap out of this.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I think saying we have to go with Halak all the way to the end is pushing it.
I'm all for Halak, he never deserved to be kept out after his flu anyway. But at this moment, I'd say we need to be on a game by game evaluation.
I say stick with Halak until he plays bad, then think about who should play next. Maybe Halak again, or back to Price.
I think saying put Halak till the end is overdoing it. What happens if he plays bad vs Toronto?..
We have to take one game at a time.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I wish Pat was healthy enough to come back to coach.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
Is it favoritism to play a goalie who is healthy over one who is sick? Then is it favoritism to play a goalie who had a .934 save percentage, when that goalie is suppose to be your number 1? I don't think so.
Halak missed 1 game due to sickness, thats it. And .934 sv%? WTF are you talking about?

Yes there is and has always been unjustified favoritism going Price's way ever since day 1 when Gainey intervened Carbo's decision to send him to the minors out of training camp last year. Halak is the better goalie! An ultra sensitive crybaby ain't gonna cut it in this environment.

Old
03-20-2009, 10:28 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think saying we have to go with Halak all the way to the end is pushing it.
I'm all for Halak, he never deserved to be kept out after his flu anyway. But at this moment, I'd say we need to be on a game by game evaluation.
I say stick with Halak until he plays bad, then think about who should play next. Maybe Halak again, or back to Price.
I think saying put Halak till the end is overdoing it. What happens if he plays bad vs Toronto?..
We have to take one game at a time.
Then you give him the next game anyway, give him the same length leash Price has had(which has been far and away bigger then for any other goalie i have seen in Montreal).

Old
03-20-2009, 10:33 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
Halak missed 1 game due to sickness, thats it. And .934 sv%? WTF are you talking about?

Yes there is and has always been unjustified favoritism going Price's way ever since day 1 when Gainey intervened Carbo's decision to send him to the minors out of training camp last year. Halak is the better goalie! An ultra sensitive crybaby ain't gonna cut it in this environment.
Halak sat on the bench for 2 extra games because he had no energy to play. Heck a practice was draining on him. During that time Price had a .934 (or it might have been .936) save percentage. So when Halak was ready (last week) they kept Price for an extra two games, which he performed very well. Then they gave the net to Halak on Saturday, which he did well except for that second goal, which prompt them to put Price back in on Tuesday (did well again, stole a point) and again yesterday (didn't do well). Thus Halak should play Saturday.

I agree that favoritism was played on Price last year, when they chose him to back up Huet and not Halak (which I thought at the time should have gotten the nod). But then again, Price had just gone and gained MVP in the Bulldog's Calder Cup run, so it wasn't completely out of the left field.

And before you mention Huet playing the last game of the year, which cost us the spot in the series, I'll remind you that Halak had just had a horrible outing the game before. Playing Halak might have been the better move, but then again there was a certain logic to it, considering the kid might have been over tired at that point (15 games straight I think).

Old
03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
gillyguzzler

Interesting that he thinks Kovy got hurt early on.

All year, Kovy has been bashed for his turnovers, his poor choices but especially his effort. I never agreed that his effort was poor... until yesterday. It was an embarassing performance by this supposed proud athlete. I hope Burns is right and that there was an injury to explain this complete lack of effort and focus. No effort to backcheck or get off the ice. No effort to battle for the puck one on one.

If Kovy is so proud, Gainey should sit him down in the video room and make him watch every second of his shifts and see what he has to say.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If Pat Burns was healthy enough to coach he would be doing it either in New Jersey or in San José. When asked about coaching the Habs again he just laughed.

Face it - we are doomed as a hockey city. Over the roof expectations, demoralising taxes, media blood hounds everywhere. Why would a good coach or a good player come here ?

Old
03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Then you give him the next game anyway, give him the same length leash Price has had(which has been far and away bigger then for any other goalie i have seen in Montreal).
I do agree they've been a lot more patient with Price and I think that's part of the problem.
Regardless of how he was playing, it was always known that Price had the #1 spot to himself.
We gave him the spot instead of letting him earn it like every other goalie in the league.

This will boost the ego of a goalie but won't help his confidence once he drops his play. That's why he looks so fragile and shaky, but cocky at the same time.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
I think Pat Burns said on CKAC that once, he knew that one of his players was breaking curfew and he exactly knew where he was. The player looked like he saw a ghost when he saw Pat Burns buy him a beer at chez Parée

The players would probably be a lot more disciplined with someone like him behind the bench. Sigh...

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
jnthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I think Pat Burns said on CKAC that once, he knew that one of his players was breaking curfew and he exactly knew where he was. The player looked like he saw a ghost when he saw Pat Burns buy him a beer at chez Parée

The players would probably be a lot more disciplined with someone like him behind the bench. Sigh...
That's hilarious. I love Pat Burns, wish he was healthy enough to be a coach somewhere.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:01 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If Pat Burns was healthy enough to coach he would be doing it either in New Jersey or in San José. When asked about coaching the Habs again he just laughed.

Face it - we are doomed as a hockey city. Over the roof expectations, demoralising taxes, media blood hounds everywhere. Why would a good coach or a good player come here ?

Yeah ok just like the Yankees huh ? We all know they cant attract players or coaches .

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Newhabfan

The Yankees are capable to compensate the "difficult" conditions with (tons of) money. There are players in there that earn more that all the players from other MLB franchises together.

Not only Montreal cannot pay more then other teams, but in fact they are even forced to pay them less because of the higher taxes and the salary cap.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

We could go the way of all the other teams that stank and bottomed out for a full decade while picking up top picks year after year after year.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:17 AM
cat

Quote:

Well said, a crybaby we don't need, this is not pee wee.
I'm so pissed of with price i don't ever want to see him with habs jersey on anymore

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Joe Malone

I say go with Halak.....

I still like Price, but I don't like his body language after he allows a goal. He looks like someone just shot his dog.

If I can see that, so can his teammates, and it has to affect them - negatively. He doesn't give the impression of someone ready to shake it off and bounce back.

When Halak won those four games in a row, Henri Richard said (in a Red Fisher article) that he hadn't seen goaltending like that since Jacques Plante.

We need Jacques Plante goaltending now.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
I say go with Halak.....

I still like Price, but I don't like his body language after he allows a goal. He looks like someone just shot his dog.

If I can see that, so can his teammates, and it has to affect them - negatively. He doesn't give the impression of someone ready to shake it off and bounce back.

When Halak won those four games in a row, Henri Richard said (in a Red Fisher article) that he hadn't seen goaltending like that since Jacques Plante.

We need Jacques Plante goaltending now.
Halak tonight, starts a new win streak!!! We need the pts!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Pat

Quote:

yeah, I remember hearing that story.

the player was Paul DiPietro

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

A coaching classic

Burns the cop

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:58 AM
smon

Quote:
Halak sat on the bench for 2 extra games because he had no energy to play. Heck a practice was draining on him. During that time Price had a .934 (or it might have been .936) save percentage. So when Halak was ready (last week) they kept Price for an extra two games, which he performed very well. Then they gave the net to Halak on Saturday, which he did well except for that second goal, which prompt them to put Price back in on Tuesday (did well again, stole a point) and again yesterday (didn't do well). Thus Halak should play Saturday.

I agree that favoritism was played on Price last year, when they chose him to back up Huet and not Halak (which I thought at the time should have gotten the nod). But then again, Price had just gone and gained MVP in the Bulldog's Calder Cup run, so it wasn't completely out of the left field.

And before you mention Huet playing the last game of the year, which cost us the spot in the series, I'll remind you that Halak had just had a horrible outing the game before. Playing Halak might have been the better move, but then again there was a certain logic to it, considering the kid might have been over tired at that point (15 games straight I think).
Fair points, except that if you saw the Rangers game, there's no way you'd say Price stole a point. He was pretty shaky in the 3rd and the Rangers just started shovelling pucks at the net from all over the place to test him. Lundqvist wasn't good either, but that's besides the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Interesting that he thinks Kovy got hurt early on.

All year, Kovy has been bashed for his turnovers, his poor choices but especially his effort. I never agreed that his effort was poor... until yesterday. It was an embarassing performance by this supposed proud athlete. I hope Burns is right and that there was an injury to explain this complete lack of effort and focus. No effort to backcheck or get off the ice. No effort to battle for the puck one on one.

If Kovy is so proud, Gainey should sit him down in the video room and make him watch every second of his shifts and see what he has to say.
There hasn't been a coach in history who's figured out how to properly motivate Kovalev. During his tremendous last season, for example, it's pretty obvious that Carbonneau didn't have much to do with Kovalev's success. He's just an on and off kind of player.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like Burnsy to be the next habs coach. He did a great job with the Devils, (Shame he got cancer )

I

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Bacchus1

Quote:
link : (someone find a better translation for "relachement")
Slackening, lull, waning, let up, abeyance ... take your pick!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

Price had a bad outing yesterday, and Halak should have the net on Saturday. That being said, on the last 4-5 games Price has been spectacular, facing 40+ shots a night. Heck when they did play Halak he did not fair any better, so I had no problems with Price going in the net yesterday, like I'll have no problems with Halak being in the net on Saturday.

People make way too much crap out of this.
why cant you just see that price is nowhere near being spectacular?

when you give up a bad goal in the first period , and you make some great saves when your team opens the play to attack more and comeback in the game , you're not spectacular.

when you allow a weak goal after being up by 3 goals because you've been sensational all night , I have no problem with that, and that's what Halak is doing for us ... gives us a chance to score the 1rst goal every night.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote