HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most memorable bad moment/player

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
tytech

vCash: 500
Most memorable bad moment/player

I have to say loosing to New Jersey in 2000 after being up 3-1 games. Losing Eric first game back.
Player would have to be Falloon. I expected alot from him being second pick overall (Behind Eric that year). Also Ryan Sittler (7th overall)

Last edited by tytech: 03-12-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old
03-12-2004, 01:06 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I have no idea why I remember this moment to be the most memorable bad moment. Last game against Ottawa in last year's playoffs, Flyers were losing 4-1 with only a few minutes to go. It was already bad enough that we were getting eliminated by the Sens again, but to make it worse, Cechmanek goes flying out to the blueline to try and stop Martin Havlat as he came down towards the net. All Roman did was race out there, slide and completely miss Havlat. Havlat goes in and makes the score 5-1. It was bad enough that we were being eliminating by the same team from the year before, but him doing something so stupid like that just made it worse. Thank god he is gone.

Most memorable bad player is a no-brainer: Bundy!

Old
03-12-2004, 01:11 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
I have no idea why I remember this moment to be the most memorable bad moment. Last game against Ottawa in last year's playoffs, Flyers were losing 4-1 with only a few minutes to go. It was already bad enough that we were getting eliminated by the Sens again, but to make it worse, Cechmanek goes flying out to the blueline to try and stop Martin Havlat as he came down towards the net. All Roman did was race out there, slide and completely miss Havlat. Havlat goes in and makes the score 5-1. It was bad enough that we were being eliminating by the same team from the year before, but him doing something so stupid like that just made it worse. Thank god he is gone.

Most memorable bad player is a no-brainer: Bundy!

He never had much upside though. Brendl is another one.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Coburnfan05

Player- I agree with Falloon.

Moment- Losing to Detroit in the finals.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Kate Smith singing - "God Bless America"..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Most memorable bad player: Toss up between Hack-job, Ther-rible, Check-your-shorts-manek and Dave *** Babych...
Bad moment: Losing to Jersey in 2000, especially after being up 3-1... Getting beaten soundly by Buffalo in '98 (I think)... Getting ousted by the Leafs in '99 (Thanks for nothing Beezer)... Being eliminated by the Sens the last 2 years... The list goes on and on...

Old
03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Most memorable bad player: Toss up between Hack-job, Ther-rible, Check-your-shorts-manek and Dave *** Babych...
Bad moment: Losing to Jersey in 2000, especially after being up 3-1... Getting beaten soundly by Buffalo in '98 (I think)... Getting ousted by the Leafs in '99 (Thanks for nothing Beezer)... Being eliminated by the Sens the last 2 years... The list goes on and on...
In three years, is anyone even going to remember that Jeff Hackett played for the Flyers?!?!? I would think that takes him out of the "most memorable" running...

Old
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
The 2000 series lost to New Jersey was bad but nothing close to the 1980 Finals. That team had the 35 game unbeaten streak and to get robbed by referees in both Games 1 and 6 was diabolical. The Islanders proved to be a great team, a dynasty in fact, and I am not short-changing them, but that series loss hurt the most.

As far as a player, many come to mind but Todd Bergen takes the cake. He quit. The others didn't. Anyone remember Bergen's antics?

Old
03-12-2004, 08:47 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
The 2000 series lost to New Jersey was bad but nothing close to the 1980 Finals. That team had the 35 game unbeaten streak and to get robbed by referees in both Games 1 and 6 was diabolical. The Islanders proved to be a great team, a dynasty in fact, and I am not short-changing them, but that series loss hurt the most.

As far as a player, many come to mind but Todd Bergen takes the cake. He quit. The others didn't. Anyone remember Bergen's antics?
Bergen: so much talent, so little heart.

Old
03-12-2004, 09:04 PM
RoDu

When we lost to Jersey on their first cup win. The first time I had seen Philly in the playoffs, and to see C.Lemiex go one on one with Svoboda and to score a weak on on Hextall to seal the deal.

Old
03-12-2004, 09:15 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

how about 2001 when we lost 8-0 to buffalo.

granted it was first round, not even close to high stakes, but that's the worst way possible to go out

Old
03-12-2004, 11:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Eerie moments, three games I watched on TV:

1. Brian Propp victimized by Chris Chelios' cowardly act;
2. Bernie Parent suffering a career ending eye by an errant high stick
3. JR this season

Also, the whole Pelle Lindbergh fiasco.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:46 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Most memorable bad moments:

-Barry Ashbee getting hit in the eye by a Dale Rolfe slapshot and having to retire (against the Rangers).

-Barry Ashbee later succumbing to leukemia.

-Bernie getting hit in the eye with a stick and having to retire (against the Rangers).

-1980 Finals. Robbery....that's all that can be said for Mr. Stickle. :mad:

-Bob Dailey getting drilled from behind into the boards by the Sabres' Tony McKegney while hustling back to touch up on an icing call, shattering his ankle and forcing his retirement.

-The "Smurfs"...anyone watching the Flyers in the early '80s remember them all too well.

-Pelle's death. A Cup was definately in sight for him/the Flyers, no question.

-Game 7, Finals against the Oilers. Scoring that 1st goal of the game was the kiss of death.

-Chelios' cheap hit on Propp in the '88 playoffs.

-The 5 years out of the playoffs in the early '90s. Not so sweet oblivion...

-The sweep at the hand of the Red Wings in the '97 Finals.

-Game 7 of the '00 Semis against the Devs. Lord Stanley was as good as back in Philly if we won that game.

-The deaths of Dmitri Tertyshny (boating accident) and Yanick Dupre (leukemia).....

-The can't-score-a-goal-to-save-our-lives series against the Sens in '02.

-JR getting his jaw shattered by the puck off a Boris Mironov slapshot (AGAIN, against the Rags! Noticing a pattern here?).

Probably some more I forgot...

As for most memorable bad player:

Tom (TJ) Gorence. Gorence was a forward in the early '80s that totally lost his scoring touch. I remember The Philadelphia Daily News describing him as "the guy you give a puck to with an open net and he'll hit the post."

Last edited by The Seeker 25: 03-13-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old
03-13-2004, 07:58 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Bergen didn't like Iron Mike Keenan's harsh coaching style and "retired" from the NHL to play professional golf. His rights were later dealt to the Minnesota North Stars, where he quietly faded into anonymity. What a waste! He looked so good during the stretch run and playoffs in '84-'85 with 11 goals and 5 assists for 16 points in only 14 regular season games, then adding 13 points in 17 playoff games.

Again, what a waste......

Old
03-13-2004, 08:54 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
how about 2001 when we lost 8-0 to buffalo.

granted it was first round, not even close to high stakes, but that's the worst way possible to go out

Absolutely !!! I watched that gaME at a bar, Lost $500.00 gambling, got snot puking drunk, and fell out of a tree, all because of losing 8-0 to Buffalo. Also, Lindros getting hit by fruitcup Stevens, changed everything that year. Worst player was Babych, whiny b%#tch !!

Old
03-13-2004, 10:18 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
most disappointing game - 2000 playoffs against the Devils. after going up 3-1 in NJ, we should have won that series and very likely would have won the Cup.

most disappointing player - Eric Lindros. he was saposed to be the player to bring us the Cup and he didn't. I know it wasn't all of his fault but the expectation of him coming here and the promise that he showed was just a huge let down in the end. especially the way it ended.

Last edited by FlyersGuy69: 03-13-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old
03-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
The 2000 loss was rough. I believe if Lindros had not played, the Flyers would have won that series.

Old
03-15-2004, 08:36 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
The 2000 loss was rough. I believe if Lindros had not played, the Flyers would have won that series.

I disagree. He ws not a negative distraction at that time. His first game back he scored, only to have his head smacked again later on.

Old
03-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Teezax

Quote:

I agree, they should have kept him for the cup finals. We would have won, i'm convinced! I'll never forget the game that brought us up 3-1 in the series, oh man the confidence was skyhigh.....only to have it plummit with a headcase in game 6.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:07 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
I also have to agree. It was announced that he would be back in the lineup for game six before they played game five. The whole demeanor of the team changed on that news.

How would you feel if your supposed leader trashed the organization after sustaining a concussion. You play two rounds of the playoffs including a five overtime game and go up 3-1 on the Devils without the "second coming" only to be told you're not good enough without him?

Old
03-15-2004, 05:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Does anyone remember when (meaning the time) Stevens decked Lindros? What was the score and the time of the game? I just recall saying "That's it, we lost." :mad:

Also, didn't Lindros score about a second or two after the clock expired (either ending the first or second period) that would have tied the score in Game 6?
Only IF.

Old
03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I agree, they should have kept him for the cup finals. We would have won, i'm convinced! I'll never forget the game that brought us up 3-1 in the series, oh man the confidence was skyhigh.....only to have it plummit with a headcase in game 6.
That was my thought then, and it was backed up by the Avs decision not to play Forsberg in 2001, even though he felt he could play in the finals.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:12 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
That was my thought then, and it was backed up by the Avs decision not to play Forsberg in 2001, even though he felt he could play in the finals.
My only problem with that is Lindros' relationship with his team mates seemed strained whereas Forsberg would be welcomed back by his mates.

I just don't believe Lindros had any right being around the team after his statements and the position he took. It seemed rather selfish to lie about having a concussion and then blame the staff for not knowing he was hiding it.

Besides that, Keith Jones has said since then that the players didn't really care for him and his attitude. Too much Bizzaro World around Lindros.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Dr Love

"Moment": losing the 97 Finals. Single game moment: Lindros going down in the 2000 playoffs.

Player(s): Chris Gratton, Paul Coffey, Sean Burke (1st stint)... guys that were brought in to be the last piece of the puzzle and failed miserably. Okay maybe Coffey didn't fail miserably, but the lasting image of him in my mind is when in the Finals when a Red Wing shot the puck in from just inside the blueline and Coffey, who was playing his man, lifted his leg and let the shot by (instead of keeping his damn leg still and blocking the shot) and it went by Hextall for a 40 foot goal.

Old
03-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
Absolutely !!! I watched that gaME at a bar, Lost $500.00 gambling, got snot puking drunk, and fell out of a tree, all because of losing 8-0 to Buffalo.

WTF!? Sounds like something I would do. This summer I got drunk in a club in Romania and put my hand up a girl's skirt while she was dancing. She almost killed me! (and rightfully so )

The worst time for me was the 2002 Ottawa series. I had never seen a team get embarrassed like that in a playoff series before.

Closed Thread