HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL.com article on Mattias Ohlund

Old
03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Meatwad

vCash: 500
NHL.com article on Mattias Ohlund

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Quote:
To Vancouver Canucks defenseman Mattias Ohlund, the game has never been more fun. That's quite the statement considering Ohlund first broke into the NHL over a decade ago.

That's certainly music to the ears of every Canucks fan when you consider the 32-year-old Swede happens to be the longest-tenured player on the Vancouver roster this season.

"Physically, it gets tougher each season, but I'm having more fun today than I did when I was younger," Ohlund told NHL.com. "I feel healthy now, but over the course of the last 10 years I've had my share of injuries and realize that's all a part of the game. Mentally, though, I'm having a lot more fun out there."
It's good to hear, from our longest serving active Canuck. I bet he resigns here.

Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post

It's good to hear, from our longest serving active Canuck. I bet he resigns here.
I would be pretty shocked if he resigns here. Let's face it the guy can cash in big time on the free agent market and it makes no sense what so ever for the Canucks to get into any bidding war for his services.

The best case scenario for us will be that he goes and plays 3 or 4 years elsewhere and then comes back to Vancouver and plays out his career as a bottom pairing guy with an affordable contract.

Some team out there is more than likely going to give Ohlund a 4 year deal worth close to 20 million dollars and good for him if he can get it.

Hopefully he goes to where he can get the big bucks and then comes back to retire as a Canuck.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
VanEric

He's going to get an offer from someone that he can't refuse. He's going to get paid like a #2 when he's a #4 on a good blueline. Maybe he'll go join Jovo in Phoenix?

Hopefully we can go on a nice deep run and he has a great playoff to make up for a mediocre season by his standards.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Rangers

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post

The best case scenario for us will be that he goes and plays 3 or 4 years elsewhere and then comes back to Vancouver and plays out his career as a bottom pairing guy with an affordable contract.
I'd agree. I hope he gets big money, because he'd probably stay if it were up to him. I just hope his next contract doesn't make people hate him like they do Redden.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
pitseleh

It's going to be interesting to see how the market for Mattias shapes up this summer. He's not the premiere guy out there (Bouwmeester and Komisarek are the cream of the crop right now, and depending on needs you could make good cases for other players) and with all of the cap uncertainty surrounding 2010/11, teams in all likelyhood will be loath to ante up large amounts of money on long term deals for older non-core players. The offense has dried up a bit for Ohlund this year, and with puck moving defensemen being all the rage these days he may be hard pressed to find a team that is both competitive and willing to ante up big dollars on a contract. In the past it has been the guys with offensive upside like Redden, Rozsival, Hainsey, etc. that have commanded the exorbitant contracts and the 20 point defensive defensemen have been held to contracts for <$4 million.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

I'll be mildly shocked if he doesn't end up in Toronto (yes, even with Kaberle/Kubina). As for a contract, I could see between $4 and $4.5 per season for four or five.

There are other teams that need a top-four guy as well with cap space to spend (Tampa if they move some forwards out, Atlanta, and so on).

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
pitseleh

Yeah, I wasn't saying there wasn't going to be a market for him, but I do think if he wants to get paid he's going to have a hard time finding a competitive team that will ante up the cash and so it may end up being an either/or situation (like Toronto or Atlanta or Tampa).

He's always struck me as a competitive guy who wants to win and I have a hard time seeing him going to a team that will in all likelihood spend a couple years at the bottom before they challenge for the playoffs again. There are a couple teams that will have a hole on defense and some cap space like Calgary and Philadelphia but I'm not sure that he fits the mold of the type of defenseman they'd be looking for.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I hope he cashes in on a $5M + long-term contract with some other team...I really do.

03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

How magnanimous of you.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
galiano

If the Canuicks have a long run in the playoffs and come close to the finals, and if Gillis offers Ohlund a contract that is close to what he can get from a weaker team - Toronto - then I can see Ohlund coming back next season. He's a very competitive guy and he now has roots in Vancouver. If it's even close, he may be back. If someone offers him $ 5 m over 3 or 4 year then good for him. He's a great guy and has been likely the best Canuck D man of all time so I wish him well.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Lard_Lad

It's getting harder to ignore the loss of foot speed and the resulting penalties he's taking. I'm all for loyalty, but in the upcoming cap environment giving a top-dollar, long-term deal to a guy who's clearly declining is a bad, bad idea. If he doesn't take a deep discount and/or agree to a shorter deal, let Burke use his cap space on him.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
It's getting harder to ignore the loss of foot speed and the resulting penalties he's taking. I'm all for loyalty, but in the upcoming cap environment giving a top-dollar, long-term deal to a guy who's clearly declining is a bad, bad idea. If he doesn't take a deep discount and/or agree to a shorter deal, let Burke use his cap space on him.
yup. I'm a huge Ohlund fan (I don't really get overly emotional about individual players, but if I had to pick an "all time favourite Canuck" it might be Ohlund--him, Gelinas or Didiuck probably) but there's really no spot on the roster for him, unless he's willing to cut his pay cheque in half. no reason at all for him to do that.

Edler is ready to move permanently into the top 4. That bumps Ohlund down to the third pairing. even at his current contract, the way our roster is set-up for next season, it doesn't make sense. It makes more sense to put Ohlund's money towards signing our 5-7 dmen. probably get all three for =/< Ohlunds current salary.

Last edited by alternate: 03-26-2009 at 04:32 PM.
alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post

I bet you he doesn't, seriously though, name your terms.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Rotang

I'd be shocked if he returned, Ohlund along with Beauchemin/Leopold (missing anyone?) are pretty much the cream of that 2nd tier of defensemen.

Even if both sides want a deal, can the Canucks afford to pay Ohlund?

Say he accepts an identical cap hit - then factor in raises for the Sedins, Burrows/Edler extension, Hodgson's bonus laiden contract and the task of replacing Sundin's presence in the top six. Leaves us at around ~53-54M once RFA's are signed, with no 6-7or8 defensemen and a big hole in the top six.

This is the price of keeping together the current squad sans Sundin. Might even work if Hodgson has a big impact and the youth continues to improve, but too much uncertainty.

The raises for Edler and Bieksa likely spelled the end for Mattias Ohlund in Vancouver.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
As much as I like Ohlund, I seriously doubt he cashes in on a contract worth more than 4 M per. Maybe in previous off seasons, but not this one. But you never know, there will always be Glen Sathers in this world.

Ohlund's days as a Vancouver Canuck are likely done after this season.

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzay View Post
As much as I like Ohlund, I seriously doubt he cashes in on a contract worth more than 4 M per. Maybe in previous off seasons, but not this one. But you never know, there will always be Glen Sathers in this world.

Ohlund's days as a Vancouver Canuck are likely done after this season.
I won't be surprised to see him sign a 2 year/$10m deal.

Old
03-27-2009, 01:19 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
We got rather many players on the list. We could cut it down in order to afford keeping the better players.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 01:28 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
We got rather many players on the list. We could cut it down in order to afford keeping the better players.
Don't know what you're saying here, but assuming you're suggesting we move players to keep Ohlund?

Sorry but that's a terrible idea. Ohlund is not a good defenseman anymore in his role. Definitely would be overpaid if we retained him even at his current salary.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
vanlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Don't know what you're saying here, but assuming you're suggesting we move players to keep Ohlund?

Sorry but that's a terrible idea. Ohlund is not a good defenseman anymore in his role. Definitely would be overpaid if we retained him even at his current salary.
Unfortuanately you hatred of Ohlund is getting old. Personally I believe the people that are rating Ohlund in the top 5 UFA defencemen this year. Actually if you look at the UFA rankings Ohlund is anywhere between 2nd and 4th amoung defencemen. The only consistency is JBo is number 1 this year.

vanlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post

"anymore"? When did you ever think he was good? SEL?

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
"anymore"? When did you ever think he was good? SEL?
Pre-lockout

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Flinch*

And yet another thread derailed thanks to Pauser's infatuation with big sweaty Swedish defensemen.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
alternate

well, in all fairness to Pauser, this is a thread about re-signing Ohlund. :shrugs:

Old
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Flinch*

Not really, it was a thread about the NHL.com article.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote