HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign free agent forward Eric Walsky

Old
03-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Zelecki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I don't see Eric in the vein of Ryan Smyth. For one thing, Walsky isn't what i would consider a power forward, like I would with Smyth.
I see a lot of Wolski in him

Zelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 01:33 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
can we sign guys passed over in the draft like brandon kozun , tyler shattock, gary nunn ?
there are decent dub o/a's available too like bernhardt, andrew bailey,

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
can we sign guys passed over in the draft like brandon kozun , tyler shattock, gary nunn ?
there are decent dub o/a's available too like bernhardt, andrew bailey,
Nunn can still be drafted. You have three years to be drafted I think. Nunn is a late birthday, so he's treated like a 90.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
valkyrie42ca

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Some of you people are mighty hard to please. Rafalski came out of college as a UFA, and he hasn't turned out so bad. (Here's to hoping that Gilory turns out to be mini-'Falski if we sign him, and Pat Falloon if we don't.)
what was wrong with my cousin, just because he was brought along to fast and drank all summer in the offseason!!

valkyrie42ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:34 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
From everything you read and see Wolsky seems a lot like former Canuck Bill Muckult, a player who had a promising NHL career cut short by some serious shoulder injuries. Muckult had outstanding speed and top end skills.

Muckalt was about the same size and you're right about the skillset. Seems the same type of player. Good signing. It's only money - and it ain't ours

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 04:51 PM
rajvandam
Unregistered User

good signing, seems like a bit of a project that could work out for us... i guess we'll find out next season during training camp, and i guess we'll see what he can do w/ the moose for the rest of this season

rajvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 05:05 PM
MS

In an organization with zero prospect depth (Walsky is immediately one of our top 10-12 prospects, which is laughable) it's good just to get some more young bodies with a bit of ability floating around. These moves are always longshots, but if you never start digging, you're never going to strike gold.

And that's the main point in this - more than a few of us here have bemoaned over the past several years how this organization has completely ignored the (quite fruitful) undrafted college FA pipeline. I think this is the first player we've signed by this route since Steve Kariya 10 years ago, which is utterly ridiculous when you look at the amount of signings (and good ones) that the average organization has made over that stretch. Thank god we're away from Nonis and the tiny little box he was stuck in re: player development.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 05:38 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
In an organization with zero prospect depth (Walsky is immediately one of our top 10-12 prospects, which is laughable) it's good just to get some more young bodies with a bit of ability floating around. These moves are always longshots, but if you never start digging, you're never going to strike gold.

And that's the main point in this - more than a few of us here have bemoaned over the past several years how this organization has completely ignored the (quite fruitful) undrafted college FA pipeline. I think this is the first player we've signed by this route since Steve Kariya 10 years ago, which is utterly ridiculous when you look at the amount of signings (and good ones) that the average organization has made over that stretch. Thank god we're away from Nonis and the tiny little box he was stuck in re: player development.
You think these kind of signings are bigger long shots than say... drafting a player out of junior? Because at least this way, you get to see how players develop before you make a decision on whether or not to go after that player.

I'm not saying it's not a long shot, just wondering what people thought. Personally, I love that there's an NCAA route that players can go if they don't want to go the CHL route or if they don't even get drafted.

Which has got me thinking how many players who were undrafted and went the college route, got signed and made the NHL, compared to how many were undrafted, went the college route, got signed and didn't make the NHL.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

seriously though.... reading that scouting report of Walsky makes him sound more like a superstar than a guy who is likely still a longshot to be an NHLer.

"REALLY fast" ... "loves to drive hard to the net ... a smart player, meaning he doesn't make too many of those so-called "bonehead" mistakes. He's pretty sound defensively too." ... "good hands and passes well, but is more of a finisher" .... "skill and energy" ... "blocking shots, killing penalties" ...

reading all that, it makes him sound like an impact player... does he really have any weaknesses? sounds like an above average skater, who doesn't shy from physical play, is smart, has good hands, and hockey sense, strong work ethic, good playmaker, but better finisher, solid at both ends, and can play in every role.

That's the perfect NHL forward with no flaws!

maybe it wasn't a Freudian slip
Well, did you want me to say that the guy is a complete tool and nothing more than an IHL player at best? I could say that, but then I'd be lying to you because I think he's much better than that.

I never said Walsky was the perfect NHL forward. If he was, he would've gone first overall, be playing on the Canucks top line and kicking Ovechkin's butt in the NHL goal-scoring race right now. Oops! that was a Freudian slip.

BTW, Walsky isn't an overly physical guy. There, I gave you a flaw of his. Satisfied?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
BTW, Walsky isn't an overly physical guy. There, I gave you a flaw of his. Satisfied?
What position does he normally play? Hockeydb/Colorado College's website just list him as a forward. Does he move around a lot or is it that he has the versatility to move around?

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Fedz

I like this signing, speed is necessary in this league and I don't doubt that Walsky will one day wear a Canucks jersey, whether its one game or all season.

I watched BU's game today and I really liked another forward Senior from their team named Jason Lawrence, he was smaller but played a solid game from what I noticed.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelecki View Post
I see a lot of Wolski in him
hahahaha good one.

When will he start playing games for the Moose?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
hahahaha good one.

When will he start playing games for the Moose?
Perhaps as soon as Tuesday.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Perhaps as soon as Tuesday.
Thank you Mitch.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Johnny Canucker

was lonny bohonos busy?

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:40 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Amen to that thought

Frankly I would rate Wolsky higher than 10 to 12 however. Seems to me that Hodgson and Schnieder both make the NHL. Grabner probably makes it and after that Wolsky is just as likely to see NHL tiem as any prospect we got.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Vector

Quote:
Amen to that thought

Frankly I would rate Wolsky higher than 10 to 12 however. Seems to me that Hodgson and Schnieder both make the NHL. Grabner probably makes it and after that Wolsky is just as likely to see NHL tiem as any prospect we got.
Walsky man, Walsky.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Amen to that thought

IMO - prospects likely to make the NHL include:

Hansen and Raymond have graduated.

Schneider
Hodgson
Grabner
McIver - in a 6th/7th d-man capacity.
Jaffray - is a marginal NHLer now, but is too old to be considered a "prospect". More like a career "tweener" for whom the waiver rules really suck.
Butcher - has the physicality and skill set to be a 3rd line NHLer.
Bliznak - 3rd or 4th line centre. He keeps surprising by taking the same game to the next level.

It sounds like Walsky is more of a top 6 or bust prospect.

Alex Bolduc has got a number of call ups as a utility forward. However as soon as he become waiver eligible, his usefulness as a depth player will diminish. That said, he is able to play in a limited role in the NHL now.

Yann Sauve might make the NHL in a 6th/7th d-man capacity.

What are the waiver rules for a college UFA (age, NHL games, etc.). It would be a shame to have this guy develop well in Manitoba next year and then be unable to call him up because we would lose him on waivers.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 10:59 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Schneider
Hodgson
Grabner
Jaffray - is a marginal NHLer now, but is too old to be considered a "prospect". More like a career "tweener" for whom the waiver rules really suck.
Bliznak - 3rd or 4th line centre. He keeps surprising by taking the same game to the next level.

Alex Bolduc has got a number of call ups as a utility forward. However as soon as he become waiver eligible, his usefulness as a depth player will diminish. That said, he is able to play in a limited role in the NHL now.

What are the waiver rules for a college UFA (age, NHL games, etc.). It would be a shame to have this guy develop well in Manitoba next year and then be unable to call him up because we would lose him on waivers.
I agree with you on Bolduc... but then why have McIver and Jaffray listed up there... both those guys are waiver eligible as well.

I don't know what the strict definition of a "prospect" is (I'm sure it varies from site to site), but if a player no longer has waiver eligibility I don't really consider him a prospect anymore... he's now a depth player, or a fringe player as he can't be stashed in the minors without every other team having a chance to take them for free.

that's why at this point, just prospects wise, I'd rank Bolduc higher than either McIver or Jaffray, who IMO should no longer be considered prospects, rather fringe players.

I'd actually put Bolduc and Sauve behind Grabner on that list... and Bliznak higher than Butcher at this point.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

Schneider
Hodgson
Grabner

Ellington will be an NHL regular some day, even as a bottom pairing dman...

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

I see Sauve becoming a top 4 defenseman, why have you only listed him at 6/7 guy?

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
I see Sauve becoming a top 4 defenseman, why have you only listed him at 6/7 guy?
Because alot of people think that unless the dman has has amazing offensive skills, he's a bust.

On this Canuck board:

Defence prospects with little offensive capability=bust

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
Maybe I should have said a #5/#6 however it is questionable that he develops the complete package of skills to make him an NHL top 4 defenseman.

Sauve has been called a poor man's Luc Bourdon. That may be an appropriate comparable.

He has some offensive skill, but 30 points in 61 games as an over-ager in the high scoring QMJHL, does not exactly scream Scott Neidermeyer offense. For comparison - Luc Bourdon put up 28 points in only 30 games split between Val D'Or and Moncton as an over-ager and some questioned if Bourdon had much NHL offensive potential.

At 6'3" 220 lbs he is a very good skater and has the physical skills to be an NHLer. But Sauve is also not as good defensively in Junior as Bourdon was. Bourdon (while recovering from his ankle injury) simplified his game and became a shut down defenseman Cape Bretton and even moreso in Manitoba. The next 2 seasons in Manitoba will tell the tale on Sauve. If he learns to be a solid, physical defender he could develop beyond a #5 or #6 defender. If he magically translates his physical skills into offensive production without becoming a defensive liability, he could go even higher.

But for now - high probability is that he tops out as a bottom pairing NHLer.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
windflare

Walsky signed to ATO, meaning he can play and contribute in the playoffs.

http://moosehockey.com/moosenews/407/728

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
On this Canuck board:

Defence prospects with little offensive capability=bust
It's because very, very few defensemen who don't score in Junior turn into top-4 defensemen in the NHL. No one is saying that it means that they are going to bust for sure but many are saying it means that it's not very common for them to become top-4 players.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote