HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN (Lebrun Blog): Speaks for Itself

Old
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
ESPN (Lebrun Blog): Speaks for Itself

Lists performance of teams in 2nd half of season as a playoff barometer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

"Last season, the Montreal Canadiens were the top seed in the East. You may have noticed where they ranked in the second-half standings this year. Ouch. The CH stands for Crappy Hockey since the midway point. Of the 16 teams that occupied a playoff spot Thursday morning, the Habs have been the worst performers in the second half. Even if they somehow squeak into the postseason, can you really see them knocking off any team? No, didn't think so."

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
bib
#believe

Nevermind last of the current playoff teams, how about tied for the 3rd worst second-half record out of all teams. Only Phoenix and Colorado have been worse. Ouch

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Bretvincent

Wow, New Jersey has been sensationnal in the second half, while Montreal is a lottery team in the second half........

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Holy Puck
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post

"Last season, the Montreal Canadiens were the top seed in the East. You may have noticed where they ranked in the second-half standings this year. Ouch. The CH stands for Crappy Hockey since the midway point. Of the 16 teams that occupied a playoff spot Thursday morning, the Habs have been the worst performers in the second half. Even if they somehow squeak into the postseason, can you really see them knocking off any team? No, didn't think so."
I like the fact that Tampa and the Islanders did better in the 2nd half of the season than us...all I can say is OUCH

Holy Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Etienne

There's a very solid reasoning behind this, one I'm not contesting because the Canadiens do play like **** since january, but ultimately it's nothing real. Last season, from Feb. 1st to midway through march, Flyers had 7 wins in 23 games. They bounced the Caps who were the hottest team of the 2nd half of the season then us.

That said, I believe the Habs look more last last year's Senators than the Flyers...

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

LeBrun is a dumb bandwagonner troll! He knows nothing!!!!11! BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM!!!!!

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
gusfring

It's just a slump, guys.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
There's a very solid reasoning behind this, one I'm not contesting because the Canadiens do play like **** since january, but ultimately it's nothing real. Last season, from Feb. 1st to midway through march, Flyers had 7 wins in 23 games. They bounced the Caps who were the hottest team of the 2nd half of the season then us.

That said, I believe the Habs look more last last year's Senators than the Flyers...
Don't bring up Logic in this board please !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Nevermind last of the current playoff teams, how about tied for the 3rd worst second-half record out of all teams. Only Phoenix and Colorado have been worse. Ouch
Disgusting.

I was actually thinking about the second half performance and wondering about where the Habs stand. Now I feel like I don't want to know.

Even the Leafs are better. Even the Lightning. Come on!

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
and let's not forget Colorado made us look like a bunch of pee wee's out there against them if it wasn't for Halak!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
NHLcrazy

Typical Habs

Not good enough to win a 3+ rounds or a championship
Not bad enough to draft a Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin or Tavares...

15+ years of mediocre results

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
CanadienErrant*

Eloquent stats and standings !

And some people here are still blind and deaf about our Habs' prowess !

Very disgusting results.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Lebrun's Leafs are doing fantastic though, no playoffs in 5 years, I love when the Toronto media do this, way to take a swipe at the Habs.

People we lost our starting goalie and point leader as well as our most physical defecemen for a large stretch. They don't seem to mention these facts while analyzing our team. I am not saying we don't have our problems but I refuse to give up on this bunch and if you do you aren't a fan, ole.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Lebrun's Leafs are doing fantastic though, no playoffs in 5 years, I love when the Toronto media do this, way to take a swipe at the Habs.
The guy posts statistics and you call it a swipe? Reality sucks I guess...

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:

People we lost our starting goalie and point leader as well as our most physical defecemen for a large stretch. They don't seem to mention these facts while analyzing our team. I am not saying we don't have our problems but I refuse to give up on this bunch and if you do you aren't a fan, ole.
While we've been ****ed by injuries, some stats don't lie. We have the 3rd worse record in the second half of the season, you can't just blame that on injuries. The problem lies deeper than that.

And sometimes, being realistic helps. I'm not giving up on the team, I know they got the talent to do good things, but obviously something is wrong. Realistically speaking, even if we get in the playoffs, I doubt we go very far. I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. That's not giving up, that's being unbiased and objective about what's going on.

Old
03-19-2009, 12:57 PM
HCH

And with that record, Carbo was surprised at his dismissal? He must have felt something was going to happen, especially when there wasn't a major acquisition at the trade deadline.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Magic33

Tavares!

But in all seriousness, that is just plain awful. How you go from awesome to terrible with the same group of guys is beyond me.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akost View Post
While we've been ****ed by injuries, some stats don't lie. We have the 3rd worse record in the second half of the season, you can't just blame that on injuries. The problem lies deeper than that.

And sometimes, being realistic helps. I'm not giving up on the team, I know they got the talent to do good things, but obviously something is wrong. Realistically speaking, even if we get in the playoffs, I doubt we go very far. I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. That's not giving up, that's being unbiased and objective about what's going on.
When we had a full healthy lineup we were one of the top teams in the league, and had almost the same lineup last year. Injuries have played a huge role in our second half. Not to mention 100 year celebration hoopla, all-star hoopla, Kostitsyngate, Kovalgate, Sundin, and Lecavalier trade speculation bonanza's that had to effect these guys.

I forgot we also lost Tanguay who historically has been a point per game player in his career, and Lats who had some nice chemistry with Laps going. Didn't our captain and Higgins miss like 20 games each as well? Our coaching was suspect as well and the GM has tried to remedy that. Even though our record doesn't exactly prove it I think we have been playing better hockey under Bob.

As someone else noted the Flyers did the same thing last year in the second half and snuck into the conference finals. Again I am trying to be objective as our team has dealt with a lot of issues others have not and it has affected performance, therfore I still believe they have the talent to succeed.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
When we had a full healthy lineup we were one of the top teams in the league, and had almost the same lineup last year. Injuries have played a huge role in our second half. Not to mention 100 year celebration hoopla, all-star hoopla, Kostitsyngate, Kovalgate, Sundin, and Lecavalier trade speculation bonanza's that had to effect these guys.

I forgot we also lost Tanguay who historically has been a point per game player in his career, and Lats who had some nice chemistry with Laps going. Didn't our captain and Higgins miss like 20 games each as well? Our coaching was suspect as well and the GM has tried to remedy that. Even though our record doesn't exactly prove it I think we have been playing better hockey under Bob.

As someone else noted the Flyers did the same thing last year in the second half and snuck into the conference finals. Again I am trying to be objective as our team has dealt with a lot of issues others have not and it has affected performance, therfore I still believe they have the talent to succeed.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but you pointed it out yourself, the epic failure of this team in the 2nd half can't be blamed only on the injuries. The worse injury we had in terms of importance is Robert Lang, since he was our only proven skilled righty, and a big part of our PP. Apart from that we've done well barring injuries, but Lang being out hurt the most.

Anyway, they definitely have the talent to succeed, and this is why there must be some underlining issue because based on talent, we shouldn't have problems making the playoffs, yet we do. Injuries can be blamed, but not entirely. To be honest, the biggest reason is that we play like ****.

Old
03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akost View Post
LeBrun is a dumb bandwagonner troll! He knows nothing!!!!11! BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM!!!!!

Its hard to believe in a team when they don't show you anything to believe in.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Its hard to believe in a team when they don't show you anything to believe in.
Indeed. That was sarcasm, by the way.

Old
03-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Pierre can't see them knocking off Phillie? Given all the so so teams in the conference right now, finishing 4th or 5th gives us a good chance at advancing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
GoldenForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Pierre can't see them knocking off Phillie? Given all the so so teams in the conference right now, finishing 4th or 5th gives us a good chance at advancing.
All the so so teams in the conference? The Devils are incredible, the Bruins and the Caps are very strong contenders (Caps weakness is their goaltending, though Theo can go on a playoff run), Flyers have incredible scoring depth (6 or 7 guys with 20-plus goals) and play solid team D. The Penguins played like crap for much of the season, but are now on fire and Kunitz looks like the best deadline pickup (let's not forget, they are also defending conference champs). Nothing so so about those four or five-- if the chips fall right for them, IMO any one of them (minus Pitt) could win the Cup.

The so so teams are Rangers (though they are much improved since Torts, Avery, Antropov, and Morris joined the team), the Canes, and Panthers (though they have great D).

And there's us, 3rd worst team in the NHL since January.

Passion is good, blindness is another matter.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
All the so so teams in the conference? The Devils are incredible, the Bruins and the Caps are very strong contenders (Caps weakness is their goaltending, though Theo can go on a playoff run), Flyers have incredible scoring depth (6 or 7 guys with 20-plus goals) and play solid team D. The Penguins played like crap for much of the season, but are now on fire and Kunitz looks like the best deadline pickup (let's not forget, they are also defending conference champs). Nothing so so about those four or five-- if the chips fall right for them, IMO any one of them (minus Pitt) could win the Cup.

The so so teams are Rangers (though they are much improved since Torts, Avery, Antropov, and Morris joined the team), the Canes, and Panthers (though they have great D).

And there's us, 3rd worst team in the NHL since January.

Passion is good, blindness is another matter.

Love is blind !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

It's just a slump guys, just a slump...*slowly walks backwards and lies down in fetal position*

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote