HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much does Naslund suck?

Old
03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Jesus Quintana*

vCash: 500
How much does Naslund suck?

Just wondering on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a leech.....how much Naslund is sucking this year? I was ecstatic the Canucks got rid of him last year - payback for us taking Messier off your hands for 3 years when he was a 10 on the suck scale.

How has he been this year? I see he is on pace for another 25 goal season - still though, is he largely an inconsequential player like he was for Vancouver?

btw- why is he all of a sudden scoring in the shootout?! He never did that in Van!

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
levski87

Around here you'll see alot of people hate on him, but I don't understand why. He was our leading scorer before Antropov came. He's great in the shootouts and he'll probably on pace for a normal season as opposed to some of our other underachievers.

Overall, he's fine. I have no complaints. It's good to have a veteran in there come playoff time. I just don't think he cares because its the regular season. 82 games takes it toll, at one point you just want this **** to be over and start the real dance.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
Just wondering on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a leech.....how much Naslund is sucking this year? I was ecstatic the Canucks got rid of him last year - payback for us taking Messier off your hands for 3 years when he was a 10 on the suck scale.

How has he been this year? I see he is on pace for another 25 goal season - still though, is he largely an inconsequential player like he was for Vancouver?

btw- why is he all of a sudden scoring in the shootout?! He never did that in Van!

hes been mediocre. not a very good player away from the puck, not a good transporter of the puck, not a good passer, not even that great of a shot.

hes just opportunistic...almost like a wily veteran using guile and experience to get goals. but imho hes not an effective player, and id be a-ok with replacing him, even if we have to eat his 25 goals.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
clmetsfan

He's been about what I expected, a 25-30 goal guy who doesn't do a whole lot as far as the little things are concerned. People around here tend to complain about him, but for what we're paying him it's not a bad deal. And on this team, 25-30 goals is nothing to scoff at.

I definitely don't think he should be wearing an A, but that's pretty unimportant.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
He's been about what I expected, a 25-30 goal guy who doesn't do a whole lot as far as the little things are concerned. People around here tend to complain about him, but for what we're paying him it's not a bad deal. And on this team, 25-30 goals is nothing to scoff at.
This.

Actually, Naslund transports the puck up ice pretty nice. He's one of the few that can enter the offensive zone on the PP all by himself.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
ruckus*

I hate him.

I can't stand his nonchalant approach and if the puck isn't in the offensive zone the guy is completely worthless.

I'm still curious how he has this many goals. It seems like the only time he's noticeable is when Sam says, "Naslund scores!" and then you're like wait what? Naslund plays for us?

I feel like I've noticed him twenty something times this year and that's when he scores.

On this team, I guess we need that. I don't have to like him though. And I wish he cared about playing all over the ice. And wasn't such a woman. Other than that I'm cool.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

when you consider the redden and rozy contracts. the rismiller, fritsche, kalinin and voros signings and the fact that we have both gomez and drury signed forever at a bazillion dollars, to me, nazy hasnt looked all that terrible. hes been pretty much what i expected and thus, i have no problem with him. at all.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Garv23

I think the last couple games he's been pretty good as he seems to be catching on to the up tempo Torts way of playing. We'll see.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I think the Rangers got exactly what they were expecting. He replaced Straka. It wasn't hard.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
allstar3970

he's provided some goal scoring this year which is good...unfortunately if he's not scoring he doesnt really provide any other benefit.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think the Rangers got exactly what they were expecting. He replaced Straka. It wasn't hard.
Agreed.

I, for one, like Näslund. He's held himself with dignity throughout the season and, if he hasn't electrified the scoreboard, he hasn't made any glaring mistakes, either.

It'd be nice if we could have had the Näslund of a few years ago, but that player is gone now.

007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
When you see people hate on Naslund, they are huge Callahan, Dubinsky, and (in the day) Ortmeyer fans.

Nazzy is the opposite. He doesn't always look like he's giving 100%, but he will put up more points than anyone previously mentioned.

He is a perimeter player, and he is soft. He still manages to lead the team in points, though. He's not a fan favorite, but without him we'd be in a much worse position than we are right now.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:23 PM
HockeyBurd*

Look at the other contracts on the team. And then realize that Naslund isn't here long term, will score 25 goals (exactly what was expected of him), and has directly resulted in the Rangers earning a TON of shootout extra points.

From a business sense, he has eared his money and doesn't hurt the franchise in any way long term.

He isn't a hard worker (yes, I know it's relative). He's a floater. He trails the play and is opportunistic with his scoring. He doesn't help defensively. Takes lazy penalties. Aside from his goal scoring, he doesn't provide much of anything. And that's why so many fans hate him.

But the bottom line is that he does what was expected of him (score around 25 goals) and he doesn't hurt the team with his contract. So his suckness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
He still manages to lead the team in points, though.
No he doesn't.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Not?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
maybe he replaced straka's #s but if you think he replaced the rock solid two way game, penalty killing and point play on the pp, you're out of your mind.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
No he doesn't.
My bad, I meant goals. Antro doesn't count.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I have personally liked him this year. He was scoring power play goals when our power play was awful and led the team in goal scoring for awhile. Obviously he is having some trouble under Tortorella but the guy still is a very good talent and I am hoping he goes on a scoring streak heading into the playoffs because I think he could be a big factor for the offense.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Ola

We spent 4m for 2 seasons on a vet -- we got what we paid for. If we add like what, 3 years and 1 m more per year, we get a Roloston instead...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
maybe he replaced straka's #s but if you think he replaced the rock solid two way game, penalty killing and point play on the pp, you're out of your mind.
Agreed.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Look at the other contracts on the team. And then realize that Naslund isn't here long term, will score 25 goals (exactly what was expected of him), and has directly resulted in the Rangers earning a TON of shootout extra points.

From a business sense, he has eared his money and doesn't hurt the franchise in any way long term.

He isn't a hard worker (yes, I know it's relative). He's a floater. He trails the play and is opportunistic with his scoring. He doesn't help defensively. Takes lazy penalties. Aside from his goal scoring, he doesn't provide much of anything. And that's why so many fans hate him.

But the bottom line is that he does what was expected of him (score around 25 goals) and he doesn't hurt the team with his contract. So his suckness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.
Great post and I agree 100%.

Imagine if we instead of Redden would have signed like -- I don't know who was out there -- but like a Roman Hamerlik, or traded for a Mat Schneider instead, for 6m per and 2 year contract.

Sure it wouldn't have been ideal to overpay tremendously for a player like that, but it certainly would have felt allot better to know that they would be off our books by 2010 instead of 2015 like with Redden....

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
John Torturella

I cant stand Naslund. Looks disinterested much of the time. Has a nothing shot. Takes 6 years to get that nothing shot off. Never noticeable except for the rare occasion when he actually puts the puck in the net. He does not seem to be a leader. He is not close to what I expected.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Every Naslund hater should get over themselves. He is leading the team in goals after Antropov, and is no way being overpaid, so you can't say he hasn't been worth the contract. He's only here one more year after this one, and until then, he'll continue to be a solid 2nd line forward, something I'll take with open arms on this team.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Don't forget the passion. I'll never forget Straka, going down to block a Chara slap shot, breaking his hand, not getting off the ice, and going down to block another shot.

Never, ever compare Straka and Naslund again.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

I definitely don't think he should be wearing an A, but that's pretty unimportant.
What other UFA wing would we sign for the money? Sure other wings who produce better get paid no more. But they aren't UFAs.

What other UFA was available for the money? Or what was the other option? Have no wings at all besides Zherdev?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote