HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin with a cheapshot to the head of Wayne Simmonds

Old
03-20-2009, 11:42 PM
shadow1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Does LA have a hockey team?
I think that's what people were saying about Pittsburgh when they finished at the bottom of the eastern conference in 2002...and 2003...and 2004...and 2006...

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I think that's what people were saying about Pittsburgh when they finished at the bottom of the eastern conference in 2002...and 2003...and 2004...and 2006.
Nah, try again.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Hit to the head. Other leagues protect their players...so should the NHL. It was marginal, but going to the head should be penalized IMO. It will likely be overlooked. 1 game max...
Perhaps Simmonds should learn to skate with his head up? Would never have hit his HEAD if it wasnt down.

This reminds me of the crap on these boards when Kasparitis nailed Lindros (who was skating with his head DOWN)... Clean hit, unfortunate result.

As far as other posts in this thread
And for those who keep stating the amount of time left in the game, who really cares?? You play the game until the buzzer sounds. Any competitor in any sport knows that, and to reiterate, I didnt see Simmonds (or anyone else for that matter) stop playing.

Malkin recieves PLENTY of abuse and cheap shots, so the ones who spit thier vitriol about this, where are you when he TAKES cheap shots?
I contend that the ones who are whining and crying the loudest have an agenda of either not liking Malkin, being a Kings fan (my 2nd fav team probably) or not liking the Pens, all of which were put in place well before this hit or game ever took place...

And for those who keep referring to an "elbow" might I suggest some anatomy classes, or point out that yes, there is a difference between your a**hole and a hole in the ground.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:43 PM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
Wow, you guys just don't get it.

Lets put this another way:

Justify for me the need for that hit. What was the point? What stopped Malkin from just getting the puck and skating away? Once again, there were 14 seconds left in the game. All he had to do was clear the puck. There was no need for that.
and what were simmonds intentions on that play. skating so hard after the puck that he didn't even look to see who was around.

malkin was on corse to be the 1st guy on the puck. and it sure looked like simmonds was skating with a purpose to get there. was it to score 3 goals in 14 seconds or was it to hit the leading scorer in the league?

if malkin doesn't look up to see who's around him he gets to the puck first and is steamrolled by simmonds

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
I think that's what people were saying about Pittsburgh when they finished at the bottom of the eastern conference in 2002...and 2003...and 2004...and 2006...
Don't forget being lucky enough to suck to get 2 generational talents

Go lottery balls!

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Unpredictable1

Quote:

Justify for me the need for that hit. What was the point? What stopped Malkin from just getting the puck and skating away? Once again, there were 14 seconds left in the game. All he had to do was clear the puck. There was no need for that.
You simply will not find a Pens fan that will agree with you on this. Save yourself the frustration.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Nah, try again.
Oh yeah, I meant this year, where they follow up there failed cup run by scrapping to make the playoffs.

Satan and Fedotenko replaced Hossa and Malone well, just like we all knew they would.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
uhh, yea but you cant just randomly hit people, im not sure what league you play in. simmonds didnt have the puck and malkin could have easily got it
No, you can't. Which is why there should have been a 2 min penalty.

Malkin did actually play the puck first. His decision to leave the puck and play the man was made on instinct. Wrong choice, but it is understandable given the runs he had been taking from the other team. Still, Simmonds didn't have the puck, so 2 minutes for interference/roughing/whatever.

Malkin didn't go for the head, which is why this doesn't need to be reviewed for suspension. Simmonds had his head down the entire time, and when the hit occured his head was well below Malkin's shoulder.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
pay attention. if there's one thing Kings fans know about, it's sucking.
Yeah but the Pens have a better knowledge about that.

They were only relevant when there is Lemieux or Crosby there, that's a fact. They were the garbage of the NHL whenever one of those 2 is absent.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
. Malking .
probably unintentional, But i like it

Malking: Verb: result of E. Malkin play

Old
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Face Wash

Suspension??? And not allow Malkin to play on National TV against the Flyers in a must win game on Sunday? ARE YOU KIDDING?

You think Colin Campbell has the guts to do that??

You're out of your mind.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
There was nothing wrong with that hit.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Ian Curtis
Lost Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Yeah but the Pens have a better knowledge about that.

They were only relevant when there is Lemieux or Crosby there, that's a fact. They were the garbage of the NHL whenever one of those 2 is absent.
The Kings will probably acquire Crosby in the twilight of his career in a desperate attempt to get attention, don't worry.

Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
The Kings will probably acquire Crosby in the twilight of his career in a desperate attempt to get attention, don't worry.
Yes, becausee the Kings aren't force fed to the rest of the (unwilling) NHL quite like the Pens are

I wonder how much D the Pens management had to suck to get that sweet deal...

Old
03-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
No, you can't. Which is why there should have been a 2 min penalty.

Malkin did actually play the puck first. His decision to leave the puck and play the man was made on instinct. Wrong choice, but it is understandable given the runs he had been taking from the other team. Still, Simmonds didn't have the puck, so 2 minutes for interference/roughing/whatever.

Malkin didn't go for the head, which is why this doesn't need to be reviewed for suspension. Simmonds had his head down the entire time, and when the hit occured his head was well below Malkin's shoulder.
Look... as a Kings fan, I couldn't care less what happens to Malkin and I'm pretty sure the Pens aren't winning the Cup this year so I don't care. I was more concerned with the Kings' lack of support for Simmonds after the buzzer. I don't care if you take a fine or a suspension for it. Raitis Ivanans needs to skate across the ice, drop the gloves and teach his fellow countryman a lesson in manners. Did you see how fast Malkin skated off the ice once a couple Kings players went up to him after the final buzzer.

By the way, did any of you notice that Wayne Simmonds didn't even fall down after the hit. That rookie is one tough S.O.B. and once he bulks up a little, he's going to be an animal!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:

Was there a need for Ivanins (sp?) taking runs at him all night?

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back View Post
oh yeah, almost forgot

can one of you L.A. fans upload the video where malkin at the last second saw ivanias trying to line him up and got out of the way at the last second.

i believed it was in the 2nd period as malkin was skating into the L.A. zone

thanks
still watinging guys.

or do you want to just react to a 7 second youtube clip that doesn't show what had already happened in the rest of the game.

...JJ hits malkin, kepps hitting as he tries to pry away and get open then takes him into the goal post. good trade off for kings. 2 mins of malkin ,2 mins for JJ

...Ivanas tries lining up malkin as he comes into the zone. much like the simmonds clip., malkin looks up at the last minute and barely gets out of the way of a goon looking to run the leading scorer

Old
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Oh yeah, I meant this year, where they follow up there failed cup run by scrapping to make the playoffs.

Satan and Fedotenko replaced Hossa and Malone well, just like we all knew they would.
I still think you can do better. Come on, you've got to have something other than this dribble. I mean, LA could only wish to have a failed Cup run.

I'll anxiously wait for you response.

Old
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Jesus, people are getting pretty riled up over this. Take off your homer-colored glasses before discussing, please.

The hit seemed all right to me, except I don't like Malkin suddenly forgetting about the puck to make the hit. Of course, the fact that Simmonds' head was down is the reason this hit was so brutal. Doesn't matter who you are, you gotta keep your head up.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
There was nothing wrong with that hit.
except that malkin faked going for the puck and simmonds didnt have the puck when malkin hit him

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:01 AM
DM23BK30

I love blind homerism, with an emphasis on BLIND:

1) Simmonds was NOT going for a hit. He was going for a poke check. At 0:03 seconds, you can clearly see malkin go for the puck and Simmonds lunging with one hand off his stick

2) Malkin has a chance to gather the puck and skate to the outside. Instead, he ignores the puck (Simmonds doesn't) and leads with his shoulder. However he realizes how low Simmonds is, and plants his E-L-B-O-W right in Simmond's kisser.

It almost reminded me of the Kovalev-Tucker elbow but not as extreme.

It was an elbow, but I think Malkin just saw a big dude skating at him and anticipated a hit rather than a stick check, which is what Simmonds was trying to do.

I don't think it was malicious, or suspension worthy, but it's still an elbow.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shadow1

Quote:
I still think you can do better. Come on, you've got to have something other than this dribble. I mean, LA could only wish to have a failed Cup run.

I'll anxiously wait for you response.
I'm pretty sure I'm an Avs fan, and both of our cup runs were successes. One bad year out of twelve, and it's been so bad that they'll get a great prospect out of it.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Let's just all agree that Malkin is worth more than your entire franchise and move on. He won't be suspended. Hell, he could kill a guy on the ice and still escape penalty. It's just a benefit of being a generational talent. Once you guys get one, then you might understand. Learn to tank right and then we'll talk.

Old
03-21-2009, 12:02 AM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphenisciformes View Post
Was there a need for Ivanins (sp?) taking runs at him all night?
I don't recall that, but if it happened, it was likely to get him out of the play, which is okay when you're not in the last 14 seconds.

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Ian Curtis
Lost Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
except that malkin faked going for the puck and simmonds didnt have the puck when malkin hit him
lol. you're not really going with the "Malkin disguised his intent!" as your argument, are you?

Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote