HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin with a cheapshot to the head of Wayne Simmonds

Old
03-21-2009, 12:04 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Let's just all agree that Malkin is worth more than your entire franchise and move on. He won't be suspended. Hell, he could kill a guy on the ice and still escape penalty. It's just a benefit of being a generational talent. Once you guys get one, then you might understand. Learn to tank right and then we'll talk.
Well no matter what happens in Hockey, LA (and SoCal in general) is much more relevant than Pittsburgh ever will be

/thread, ur done troll

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Crosberry87

Why can't this website go more than 2 days without someone whining about a totally clean hit?

Go to Europe bud..

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HookKing

Have any of you Malkin defenders actually watched the video? Simmonds never touched the puck -- Malkin pushed it away and lined Simmonds up. Technically its interference but with Simmonds stick close you would normally let it go, however, with the game over in the waning seconds that makes it a dirty play.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Look... as a Kings fan, I couldn't care less what happens to Malkin and I'm pretty sure the Pens aren't winning the Cup this year so I don't care. I was more concerned with the Kings' lack of support for Simmonds after the buzzer. I don't care if you take a fine or a suspension for it. Raitis Ivanans needs to skate across the ice, drop the gloves and teach his fellow countryman a lesson in manners. Did you see how fast Malkin skated off the ice once a couple Kings players went up to him after the final buzzer.

By the way, did any of you notice that Wayne Simmonds didn't even fall down after the hit. That rookie is one tough S.O.B. and once he bulks up a little, he's going to be an animal!
As a Pens' fan I can't say that I condone that statement. I can also say with one hundred percent confidence that Malkin won't be fighting Ivanans any time soon. I would have liked to have seen Godard and Ivanans go at it though.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SM17

Hahah I was expecting a cross check or something when I saw the title of that thread, not a clean hit with the elbow tucked in and a player bent over with his head down.

Title should be changed to "Malkin lands a clean hit to a player with his head down."

SM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Four Seven View Post
The hit seemed all right to me, except I don't like Malkin suddenly forgetting about the puck to make the hit.
Yep or the game against Columbus where he skated into the crease and forgot to take the shot, as he was more interested in making the hit on Mason. Fortunately there was time later in the game for Commodore to introduce Malkin's face to the crossbar. That's the annoying part about this hit the timing let Malkin make the hit, and then gets off being saved by the buzzer.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:07 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
The NFL is much rougher "son" and violent and they penalize for blows to the head. It's called common sense to protect your players.
Youre right...They should protect thier players, and they should penalize for shots to the head. Therefore, Simmonds should be suspended for a game or two because if it werent for Simmonds skating with his head down it would have been nothing more than a shoulder check.
The ONLY thing that turned this hit (cuz Malkin would have hit him regardless) into a hit in the head was Wayne Simmonds and Wayne Simmonds alone!

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:07 AM
OprtnShtdwn

Umm.. after the buzzer, a few players for the Kings went over towards the Pens. Talbot, Gill, and i can't remember the other was over there as well. It probably wasn't on TV, but i was there in attendance and the Kings did try to do something about it.

Now about the hit..... son, keep your head up on the ice. If his head is up, shoulder misses the head, and it's just a simple hit. Obviously Malkin was not out there trying to end people's seasons.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:08 AM
guest1467

Personally, I would like to see him suspended for one game. Clear intent to injure on that play, completely unnecessary.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Trading O'Sullivan away for Williams = epic fail

Seems like the Kings have stunk ever since that trade went down
Except for winning 3 straight right after the trade w/o O'Sullivan or Williams. But of course you haven't paid one lick of attention to the Kings all season to know that they've pretty much played win one / lose one hockey all season which hasn't changed since the trade. Of course not, you are talking out of your ass.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
embracedbias

This thread took very little time to get to 400+ posts. I must say, quite impressive.

People hating... others hating the haters.. still others hating on the haters who hate on the haters. Ultimately, most people are more similar than different. The internet is hilarious.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:12 AM
David71

clean

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
lol. you're not really going with the "Malkin disguised his intent!" as your argument, are you?
what??all i said was malkin hit simmonds when simmonds didnt have the puck. thats a text book interference and not only did he not get a call but he did it at the end of the game

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:14 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
what??all i said was malkin hit simmonds when simmonds didnt have the puck. thats a text book interference and not only did he not get a call but he did it at the end of the game
Why does it matter what time the hit happened at? A hit is a hit is a hit and a penalty is a penalty is a penalty, regardless of what the circumstances are.

Old
03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Man I really like watching Malkin play, he reminds me so much of Forsberg.
Good call. I was going to suggest a bit of Messier too.

When your top players combine elite skills with chippiness, it leads to Cups. Sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
did you change it from 14 to 15 and still get it wrong? who is your tutor and can you get your money back?
Long day. Always hated this Nuuu NHL standings crap.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
12-1-3 over the last 15 and your superstars taking no prisoners on the ice.

yep, heaven forbid our stars give out 1/10th of what they get hit with.

as much as i loved them, sid and geno aren't like mario and Jarg .....guys that just let these things slide

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
neither were the Red Wings. what's your point? do you think I like the penguins?
I would have assumed so considering your interest in the topic...

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
Why does it matter what time the hit happened at? A hit is a hit is a hit and a penalty is a penalty is a penalty, regardless of what the circumstances are.
was there a penalty? cause i checked the box score and there wasnt. and why does it matter when it happened? because with 14 seconds left of a 4-1 game it was clearly retaliation for things that happened earlier in the game.

i dont think people understand that teams are going to target the other teams best players. they are going to try to get in their head

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
You guys don't get it.

THERE WERE 14 SECONDS LEFT IN A 4-1 GAME. THERE WAS NO NEED FOR THAT HIT.
Yet another thing I love about HFboards...People just "dont get it" when they dont see eye to eye...perhaps if you say it 12 more times it may sink in?

Have you stopped to think that with this many people disagreeing with you that MAYBE, just MAYBE you are the one who doesnt get it?

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
And of course, I'm always seeing Malkin give up the puck, on his own when it's on his stick, just so he can line a guy up... that's always been part of his game, right?

I've actually never seen Malkin do what he did to Simmonds at anytime in his career. And believe you/me, we're subjected to a lot of East Coast hockey out west. He clearly meant to do what he did.

And fine, I'm good with it... and I know he won't be suspended and I understabd why. But when he comes to LA next season, I guarantee you, he's going to be wearing concentric circles on his back.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Again if this was Ovechkin people would be saying how great this is
If Ovechkin did this some people would be saying it was a clean hit and some would be freaking out over how he should be suspended for the rest of the season. All the big three create these polarized reactions in varying degrees.

Back on-topic...

I love Malkin and don't think he's a dirty player at all, but I don't understand this play. I don't think he was aiming for an elbow to the head--looks like he was going for a shoulder, Simmons had his head down and the result was this--but I don't get why he abandoned the puck to hit a guy at the end of a 4-1 victory.

I really don't know what to say about this one, to be honest. I'm a little befuddled.

Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
was there a penalty? cause i checked the box score and there wasnt. and why does it matter when it happened? because with 14 seconds left of a 4-1 game it was clearly retaliation for things that happened earlier in the game.
Even if it was retaliation rather than a human instinct to protect himself isn't that what you want? If other players go after your guys all game, you want your players to send the message to the other team that it is not ok.

Clearly there was not penalty. But my point is that an event which occurs with 14 seconds left in the game should be penalized no differently than an event which occurs 14 seconds into the first period. It's completely irrelevent in that respect.

Quote:
i dont think people understand that teams are going to target the other teams best players. they are going to try to get in their head
So in your book other players are allowed to target star players, but star players aren't allowed to retaliate? What kind of sense does that make?

Old
03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
SM17

I think the Pens are happy to see Malkin get physical, no matter what time in the game it was.

SM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM17 View Post
I think the Pens are happy to see Malkin get physical, no matter what time in the game it was.
For Sure. It's almost always better to hit than to get hit.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:26 AM
tmunnuch

Didn't a good old Canadian boy (okay, he's from Michigan, but close enough) by the name of Bill Guerin do something eerily similar to the hit Malkin made? The young man whose career Bill Guerin might have ended ended up missing 8 games and yet Bill Guerin got off free as a bird and hockey apologists were singing their favorite tune: "keep your head up".

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote