HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin with a cheapshot to the head of Wayne Simmonds

Old
03-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
Even if it was retaliation rather than a human instinct to protect himself isn't that what you want? If other players go after your guys all game, you want your players to send the message to the other team that it is not ok.

Clearly there was not penalty. But my point is that an event which occurs with 14 seconds left in the game should be penalized no differently than an event which occurs 14 seconds into the first period. It's completely irrelevent in that respect.

So in your book other players are allowed to target star players, but star players aren't allowed to retaliate? What kind of sense does that make?
im not saying malkin shouldnt stand up for himself but the fact that there was 14 seconds left in the game when he retaliated is what made it cheap. not to mention there was not penalty which is ridiculous

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi View Post
If Ovechkin did this some people would be saying it was a clean hit and some would be freaking out over how he should be suspended for the rest of the season. All the big three create these polarized reactions in varying degrees.

Back on-topic...

I love Malkin and don't think he's a dirty player at all, but I don't understand this play. I don't think he was aiming for an elbow to the head--looks like he was going for a shoulder, Simmons had his head down and the result was this--but I don't get why he abandoned the puck to hit a guy at the end of a 4-1 victory.

I really don't know what to say about this one, to be honest. I'm a little befuddled.
Yea, it's a clean hit, but he abandons the play to make it. It's a bad call by Malkin, but there's no intent here, just a stupid mistake.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi View Post
If Ovechkin did this some people would be saying it was a clean hit and some would be freaking out over how he should be suspended for the rest of the season. All the big three create these polarized reactions in varying degrees.

Back on-topic...

I love Malkin and don't think he's a dirty player at all, but I don't understand this play. I don't think he was aiming for an elbow to the head--looks like he was going for a shoulder, Simmons had his head down and the result was this--but I don't get why he abandoned the puck to hit a guy at the end of a 4-1 victory.

I really don't know what to say about this one, to be honest. I'm a little befuddled.
i really think he thought he was going to get plowed over by the kings player so he tried to take the initiative and hit him first, kind of like how sometimes players will hit each other right before engaging in a board battle.. people hunt malkin all the time in the east, especially teams like philly and washington, so maybe he was hearing footsteps. i honestly don't think he's out there to hurt players.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Ian Curtis
Lost Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Here I revised it for you...

No but you live outside of Detroit. Jokes on you buddy! Enjoy your fat chicks, unemployment and cold weather that includes copious amounts of snow! Hows the weather out there? Was about 70 and sunny today at the beach.

Actually it was 70 and sunny here just the other day.

also here when it's sunny you can actually see the sun and not just a vague glowing orb that's almost visible through the air pollution.

Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back View Post
yep, heaven forbid our stars give out 1/10th of what they get hit with.

as much as i loved them, sid and geno aren't like mario and Jarg .....guys that just let these things slide
I wasn't joking (or inciting either): If I'm a Pens fan, I'm excited as anything. Your two superstars look like they are on a mission, Shero made genius moves with Kunitz and Guerin and MAF is back in the groove. And the team has awoken from its postseason hangover at just the right time. Guess they really needed a change behind the bench. NJD or Pittsburgh (my pre-season Cup winner pick) are the teams to beat out East.

I'm just concerned about SCUDeriMissle and his diabolic plan for launching California into the sea. Hope he gives us a few hours warning. I'm hopping in the car and heading for Tiajuana!

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Wes Mantooth

you know i liked the hit but didn't think twice about it. and of course there is a suspend malkin thread.

Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:35 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
im not saying malkin shouldnt stand up for himself but the fact that there was 14 seconds left in the game when he retaliated is what made it cheap. not to mention there was not penalty which is ridiculous
It isn't like Malkin targeted a guy and circled the ice waiting to hit him. Malkin went after the puck, Simmonds went after the puck. Coaches tell players at the end of every game to keep their head on the swivel. Malkin felt pressure, and knowing he'd been getting run at all game, played the man rather than the puck. Simmonds had his head down.

Things like this happen all the time in hockey, even with 14 seconds left in the game. Complaining about a 2 minute penalty in a 4-1 game is useless. Things like that happen all the time.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
It isn't like Malkin targeted a guy and circled the ice waiting to hit him. Malkin went after the puck, Simmonds went after the puck. Coaches tell players at the end of every game to keep their head on the swivel. Malkin felt pressure, and knowing he'd been getting run at all game, played the man rather than the puck. Simmonds had his head down.

Things like this happen all the time in hockey, even with 14 seconds left in the game. Complaining about a 2 minute penalty in a 4-1 game is useless. Things like that happen all the time.
simmonds didnt have the puck. there is a difference. you can have your head down all you want as long as you dont have the puck

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
there should have been an interference penalty. and it was missed. as were 4-5 other calls on both sides if you watched the game... this is the NHL though, with the worst officiating in all of sports..so thats something you should be used to. i know i am.

what you think "made it cheap" is what i think malkin had enough of. as i said earlier, Ivianas took a huge run at him.
JJ gave him a hit, malkin gave him a shot back and then JJ proceeded to virtually mug him as he tried to get open and was put into the goalpost in the end.

now he sees another Big kid skating his azz off to a loose puck (again, need to watch the whole game of where simmonds was and not just a 6 sec clip) that he's going to get to first.... down 3 goals ....with 14 seconds left

WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN??

Last edited by The Pens Are Back*: 03-21-2009 at 12:55 AM.
The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:42 AM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I wasn't joking (or inciting either): If I'm a Pens fan, I'm excited as anything. Your two superstars look like they are on a mission, Shero made genius moves with Kunitz and Guerin and MAF is back in the groove. And the team has awoken from its postseason hangover at just the right time. Guess they really needed a change behind the bench. NJD or Pittsburgh (my pre-season Cup winner pick) are the teams to beat out East.

I'm just concerned about SCUDeriMissle and his diabolic plan for launching California into the sea. Hope he gives us a few hours warning. I'm hopping in the car and heading for Tiajuana!

oh, i know you weren't

sorry if my post made it seem that way.

i remeber a play years ago where jarg got trucked by fedurek cause he didn't see him coming. and oliwa had to go off the bench to engage him.

these guys (sid and geno) are looking out for themselves knowing some guys are gunning for them...all you had to do was watch this game to see them try to get at malkin a few times.

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Oh man. A lot of work to do here. Cease and desist flaming, I assure I'm awake for a while and will trudge my way through this whole damn thing.

More then a few will hear from me.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Ian Curtis
Lost Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I see you've been here before. Thanks for your tourist dollars! Come again. And when I feel like visiting Greenfield Village or banging some fat chicks, I'll head right over to the Detroit area. I definitely won't go their looking for a job though.
Santa Monica is an ok city in my opinion and Venice beach is entertaining at least.

also, our states lead the nation in forclosures by a wide margin. I'm not going to make fun of your poverty for that reason, but you have no room to either.

Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Oh come on, we were just starting to have some fun.
Wish I could say the same

Old
03-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razumikhin View Post
Haha.

How is this thread still open?
Ya, there's no promises there actually.

Old
03-21-2009, 12:53 AM
dd7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
Wow, you guys just don't get it.

Lets put this another way:

Justify for me the need for that hit. What was the point? What stopped Malkin from just getting the puck and skating away? Once again, there were 14 seconds left in the game. All he had to do was clear the puck. There was no need for that.
so your saying he should quit on the game he gets paid for playing 60 minutes a night 80 times a a year and he played till the end get a grip buddy drop it move on he played 60 minutes

dd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:54 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
simmonds didnt have the puck. there is a difference. you can have your head down all you want as long as you dont have the puck
If you've ever played hockey you know there are very few moments where you can have your head down on the ice. Skating toward the puck at center ice is not one of those times.

And if you've read my posts, you know that my opinion is that Malkin should have gotten a minor.

What doesn't make sense is your argument about a hit in the last 14 seconds being different than any other time in the game, or the picking of this one missed call over the hundreds of other missed calls similar to or worse than this.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:54 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Wish I could say the same
Just lock it up, don't waste your time on it. I'd feel personally responsible for wasting your time since most of it will be spent on reading my asinine posts.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:56 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

Star players don't fight oafs like Ivanans after the game. Ivanans engaged Malkin as Malkin was leaving the ice -- it's a shame that's really the only fire any King showed all evening. Perhaps if they want to fight for a playoff spot, they should bring the fire to the rink like other teams seem to be doing this time of the year. Bringing it up like that makes Malkin a little b***h reaks of saltiness.
Ivanans should've just sucker punched him. Why ask for his permission?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Well, I won't be able to keep up, so this is temporarily closed for a clean up, and a general cooling off period. I'll re-open as quickly as possible, with my apologies to most posters.

Old
03-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Well, I won't be able to keep up, so this is temporarily closed for a clean up, and a general cooling off period. I'll re-open as quickly as possible, with my apologies to most posters.
Close enough to being caught up, but not done. Keep it civil.

Old
03-21-2009, 01:58 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Sorry to whoever I called a dumbass.

I'm not changing my opinion about this thread though. It wasn't a cheap shot... Simmonds clearly had his head down and Malkin lowered his shoulder to make the hit. Why should it matter WHEN the hit happened. I've seen worse hits in 6-0 games then in this one.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:05 AM
BigEezyE22

Simmonds needs to skate with his head up.

The fact that he took the hit to the head is wholly incidental. There was no deliberate headhunting on Geno's behalf. It's not like Malkin ran him or went out of his way to initiate contact. There's only 2 ways to really avoid that ending up as a so-called "head shot", either let Simmonds steamroll him or learn to skate on his knees.

Time to stop with the melodramatics, ladies.

BigEezyE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

This is what I hate about the whole Head Shot thing. Is it a head shot, yes. Is it a dirty hit, I'd say no. Was it unnecessary I'll say yes because of the time on the clock and the score. Malkin wasn't trying to injure him.

The whole topic kind of pisses me off.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:11 AM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

this is a hit to the head, NHL needs to suspend him regardless of his superstar status. It'd be appalling to let Malkin get away with this, when many other players are not.

and especially with 10 seconds left to go and the game is pretty much over.....not necessary and intent to injure.

CRDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:13 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
This is what I hate about the whole Head Shot thing. Is it a head shot, yes. Is it a dirty hit, I'd say no. Was it unnecessary I'll say yes because of the time on the clock and the score. Malkin wasn't trying to injure him.

The whole topic kind of pisses me off.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote