HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin with a cheapshot to the head of Wayne Simmonds

Old
03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
stardog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov99 View Post
I just heard on The Hotstove that they won't be suspending Malkin but a fine was handed down on him for the hit. Personally I don't think it was suspension/fine worthy but it was still a pretty pointless hit/play. Whatever though, Simmonds is a tough enough boy to take that shot.

LOL at Malkin though... talking **** after the game and then bolting off to the dressing room.
Ok, this will be the third time Ive asked this question, but have yet to see a response.
For all of you laughing, or insulting Malkin for I suppose, not fighting the Kings ENFORCER AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER, what exactly would you have expected him to do? He didnt skate away like a coward as some suggest, Ivanins said something, Malkin was going to the dressing room, CHANGED HIS COURSE and skated right up to Ivanins and said something right back to him before leaving the ice.
What exactly did you expect him to do?
Fight?
Yeah that would have been incredibly smart!
So, before calling him a coward, or laughing, give me an alternate scenario as to what he should have done...please, because he did exactly what anyone in his situation would do and probably what every player in the league NOT named Avery or Carcillo would have done.

Yeah, lets laugh at the leading scorer in the league for not engaging in a fight AFTER a game against a borderline NHL player whose only value comes from fighting...

great logic guys.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
MartinVanBuren

If he can be a tough guy and lay hits like that, he can fight Ivanans.

MartinVanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Exactly.

For anyone who says Malkin didn't change his course of skating at all to hit Simmonds, that's just a tad biased.

Malkin obviously ignores the puck, shifts his weight and slams his shoulder/elbow into Simmonds head when Simmonds is reaching for the PUCK with this stick.

Legal hit: yes

Cheap Shot: yes
It actually wasn't a legal hit since Simmonds never touched the puck. Its a 2 minute penalty and without an injury nothing more.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
How am I supposed to prove a negative? That doesn't follow logic.
And how exactly is anyone susposed to prove what Malkin was thinking? That doesnt follow logic either, yet you are asking people for proof of that "or to shut the **** up" as you so graciously put it... That isnt quite logical in itself (and I never asked you to prove a negative, just prove the opposite of your request, ie that he WASNT expecting to get hit. I was being fecicious as it is impossible to prove either point).

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:35 PM
MartinVanBuren

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
And how exactly is anyone susposed to prove what Malkin was thinking?
Well you guys are the ones saying that Malkin was expecting a hit (thus the need to take preventive measures). I assumed you could prove it if you were claiming that. Guess that was bs on your part.

Old
03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Probably the most disgusting thing I have ever seen happen on NHL ice, certainly worthy of 27 pages of discussion. Even as a Pens fan I can admit that with about 14 seconds left in the game, to commit such a heinous act, the only option surely is to have him hung. Kill this racist ogre lest the NHL turn into a place where such actions if not worse actions would occur nightly.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:40 PM
blackgoldblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
It actually wasn't a legal hit since Simmonds never touched the puck. Its a 2 minute penalty and without an injury nothing more.
People keep saying this, but if you watch the replay closely it looks like Simmonds touches the puck forward just before Malkin hits him.

blackgoldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Probably the most disgusting thing I have ever seen happen on NHL ice, certainly worthy of 27 pages of discussion. Even as a Pens fan I can admit that with about 14 seconds left in the game, to commit such a heinous act, the only option surely is to have him hung. Kill this racist ogre lest the NHL turn into a place where such actions if not worse actions would occur nightly.
You bringing the torches?

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
mmubiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Quoted for hilarity.

Seriously, it's a hockey play. Slightly dirty (and I'm a pens fan) but not illegal. Malkin is skating towards the puck, sees Simmonds coming up to also play the puck/body, and as any hockey player will tell you, he braces himself. He does skate a bit towards him, ignoring the puck, which one could argue is interference, but when the contact takes place, the puck is on one or both of their sticks.

More than anything, Simmonds is skating and reaching for the puck with his head down, and not paying attention to the opposing player.

COACHES TELL YOU TO KEEP YOUR HEAD UP FROM THE TIME YOU CAN SKATE.

mmubiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Next on HF: NHL Players Who Hit "Dirrrrty"...and Those They Frighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
I see the league agrees with me that it was a cheap hit but it wasn't suspension worthy. Malkin will get finned and this thread can close.

Mouthing then bolting,huh? I guess Malkin and Sidney have something in comon.
Yep. They led a team to the SCF before their 22nd birthday.

Check how many players have done that, Comrade.

Speaking of which, you and your ilk might wish to turn off the bootube in a couple of weeks, when the real season starts. Those dirrrrrrty NHLers are known to turn up the intensity and hitting once April rolls around. And they often play unfair!

If only they'd think once about the children.... innocent:

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
You bringing the torches?
If we burn him, we risk inhaling particles of his corpse. We can't run the risk of him contaminating the rest of the population like that. His despicable actions have already scarred many a young innocent child.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:51 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Finally saw the hit. That was the exact same hit as Moore on Naslund and everyone said that was perfectly legal. I guess that means that this hit was fine too.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Finally saw the hit. That was the exact same hit as Moore on Naslund and everyone said that was perfectly legal. I guess that means that this hit was fine too.
I think it was 50/50 on that hit too.

03-21-2009, 08:57 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I think it was 50/50 on that hit too.
I agree, but the league and the hockey world in general didn't see it that way. I don't even think Moore got a penalty let alone a terse phone call from the NHL.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Pure

Big Elbow, but not a big deal if Simmonds wasn't hurt.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
typicaljs

meh, after reading this article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=413095

I guess the NHL felt it was a shot to the head but just not a play that they want to eliminate from the game. I understand not wanting to discourage physical play but the timing is curious with the NBC game and Malkin, well being Malkin. I'm fine with what the league did as long as something was done, I was just initially outraged at the people trieng to say that wasn't a headshot or dirty hit. I just felt it was exactly the kind of play the nhl wanted out of the game, I was wrong. Figured that link might be just a little relevant to this discussion if it continues to go on.

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:09 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
Yes and I am certain that all of these were thoughts that Malkin entertained a the split second that took for this play to happen.

As far as Malkin being able to skate away because of the instigator rule, I guess we will never know seeing as how nobody did anything about it at all until AFTER the game was over...speaking of the "timing" of the incident, wouldnt it be an even WORSE time to do something AFTER the game that, say, while it was still playing (and yes, 14 seconds left means the game is still playing folks)

Im not saying Malkin did this "to exact revenge". Never once said that. I think it was a decision that was the result of the situation. One that could have been affected by the fact that Malkin had been getting hit all game (all his career actually) and was ready for it.
And calling Malkin a chicken **** for the hit is your perrogative. Personally, I like seeing him initiate contact, but hey, I guess we could call him a chicken if he shied away in that situation. Just cant win with some people
I obviously don't think he went out last shift and said "I don't play these guys again so I'm going to do something" but it doesn't change the fact that yes, he won't face the Kings again for who knows how long.

As I said earlier, I'd be happy if I was a Pens fan that my star player was playing with an edge. Dustin Brown is pretty chicken**** for the most part but it doesn't mean I hate it when he plays physical.

I made the "exact his revenge" comment because many posters here keep bringing up the Johnson incident from the 1st period and a missed check as justification for Malkin delivering this cheap hit. If this is the case, then he is chicken**** as he could have lined up anyone at any point throughout the game as opposed to skating at a defending player with the puck, abandoning it while the defender goes to make a poke check and then delivering a shoulder to the face of the unsuspecting defender with so little time left that the odds are he will not get retribution.

As for the after the game question, I would have been fine with Ivanans punching Malkin in the face after the game 10 game suspension or not. At what time were any of the players on the LA bench supposed to get a crack at Malkin without an automatic 10 game suspension? I would have loved one of the ladies wearing purple on the ice at the time (sans Simmonds) to do something but that is not an indictment of the other 15 guys on the bench although--don't get me wrong--some of them are ladies too.

As for the question of "what if Malkin doesn't brace for the hit" and blah, blah, blah...I'm nearly 99% positive that Malkin could have skated right around Simmonds and into the zone. I mean, Malkin had an angle on him and is the possible MVP of the league so I'm sure he could have entered the zone or, at the least, tried to chip it in and then absorb "the hit". You're supposed to take hits to make plays such as getting the puck into the opposing zone...he gave the puck away to initiate a hit instead. If he is "playing the entire 60 minutes" he should have kept the puck and tried to score again as opposed to hitting an unsuspecting, vulnerable opponent whilst turning over the puck.

I can give you "I don't think he meant to hit him in the head though" because you can't argue with "are you a mind reader? do you know what he was thinking?!?!" but I suspect he knew what he was doing.

Regardless, it was cheap and I personally think it was chicken****. As for "he's chicken if he doesn't hit him" that's patently false as NOTHING would have happened. It's not like Malkin was lined up in the corner and turned the puck over because he didn't want to take a hit. The game would have ended and there wouldn't be a 25 page thread entitled "Malkin is a wuss because he didn't turn the puck over to hit a guy trying to pokecheck him in the face..kill him!!"

So Ovechkin and Datsyuk do this all the time. Great. I've seen them do it many times but it's usually not a clean shoulder to the face. The other thing is that they don't do it with 14 seconds left in a blowout that they are winning. Ovechkin might but Datsyuk wouldn't in a million years.

I wouldn't have any issue at all if it was done when the game was still undecided but it was exceedingly pointless. It was so pointless that Simmonds didn't think it was going to happen for even a split second or else he would have came in for a hit instead of a poke. You can say lesson learned all you want but I think there are hundreds of players around the league that need to learn this lesson as well because plays like this with 14 seconds left pretty much never happen. This isn't a "keep your head up" situation as he was playing defense and leaning in for a poke check. All of you can tell Simmonds to keep his head up when he has the puck or is about to receive a pass. As a matter of fact, his head is up in correlation to his body because he is leaning forward.

Everyone cries about the players not having respect for eachother anymore. If that bothers you than this hit is a prime example of that lack of respect.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
MartinVanBuren

Guys, just give it up. This argument is over. If the NHL is fining him, then clearly he did something wrong. Can we agree on this?

If he wasn't a superstar and on NBC tomorrow, he'd likely be suspended.

Old
03-21-2009, 09:21 PM
AK

Quote:
Guys, just give it up. This argument is over. If the NHL is fining him, then clearly he did something wrong. Can we agree on this?

No, we cannot agree on that.

The league sends a message against headshots with the fine, but they didn't suspend him because it was not an illegal play.

I don't mind the decision, myself.

There is a double standard for all superstars, but the NHL minimizes that in this case, IMO.

If Malkin was really trying to do something with his elbow or "headhunting":

a) Simmonds would not have been okay.
b) He would very likely be suspended.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Rangers Fan*

I completely agree with letang. People are only overreacting to this because it was Malkin.

Rangers Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
Quote:

I love how you contradict yourself in this post.it's totally crazy how you don't realize it.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
No, we can't.

Stepped over the line, in the eyes of the NHL? Yes, in that regard he most certainly did, as evidenced by the fine.

Did the "wrong" thing in terms of sending a message? One opinion: not at all. It was well worth the fine, which will probably be paid by Shero with a smile, knowing that his superstar is in ill humor heading into the playoffs...exactly how you want him to be.

Once again, you want time and space on the ice, you get it by virtue of speed, agility...and bite (read: well-timed nastiness). With regard to the latter, that means discouraging opponents from coming near, lest they eat an occasional elbow or stick.

Good enough for Gordie Howe, Bobby Clarke, Mark Messier, Peter Forsberg and countless other players, past and present.

Not good enough for some on HF.

So it goes.

Last edited by Trottier: 03-21-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:32 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurse View Post
I completely agree with letang. People are only overreacting to this because it was Malkin.
People (Pens fans) are defending the hit because it was Malkin.

It was cheap as hell.

The guy abandons possession of the puck to hit a player in the head who is gliding into him with 10 seconds left in a game he's winning by 3 goals.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Rangers Fan*

Like Letang said.. Simmonds tried to hit him with his head down.

You're biased as hell if you think there was any intent to injure on that play.

Rangers Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:35 PM
MartinVanBuren

Wow, you guys. HE IS BEING FINED BY THE LEAGUE. What don't you get? It was wrong. Accept it.