HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kapanen may play defense in playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 09:53 AM
FlyersGuy69

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Kapanen may play defense in playoffs

doesn't sound like a bad idea with all of our injuries. he played great on backline and gave us some really good chances moving/passing the puck up.

he would definetly be good on the PP and 4 on 4. if he can have a bigger impact on D rather than as a forward, why not?

LINK: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/8222230.htm

Old
03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Flyers Notes | Kapanen may play defense in playoffs

By Tim Panaccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
if he can have a bigger impact on D rather than as a forward, why not?

not happening. he won't make an impact on defense because there are 6 guys better than him playing. that isn't something you can just decide to do in the playoffs.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
doesn't sound like a bad idea with all of our injuries. he played great on backline and gave us some really good chances moving/passing the puck up.

he would definetly be good on the PP and 4 on 4. if he can have a bigger impact on D rather than as a forward, why not?

In the playoffs clearing the front of the net is more important then sllick playmaking and skating ability. Now on the PP that is OK.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:27 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson

By Tim Panaccio

not happening. he won't make an impact on defense because there are 6 guys better than him playing. that isn't something you can just decide to do in the playoffs.

I'm sick of your negativity and assuredness. You have some inside information that makes you right all the time? Funny that Therien isn't here anymore when you promised that we should all deal with and accept that he would be here till season's end.

Kapanen played great defense thus far. He is a miniature Johnsson and he created some nice rushes from our end. He can tie up a defender as well as Johnson can and also hit better then Johnsson. That's pretty good considering he isn't a defensman and Johnsson is our best. I'd rather Kaps over an inexperienced simialr style player like Seids playing.

It isn't all about clearing the front of the net. That's how you get penalties. It's about tying up the stick and making sure your player doesn't get a scoring chance. Lidstrom is the NHL' s best defensman and I don't remember him clearing anyone. Neidermeyer either.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:30 AM
donelikedinner

one good thing about sami on the blueline is that teams will not expect his speed coming out of the defensive zone. if he chooses to carry the puck, he could stretch out the defnders and make a quick pass to a streaking forward (imagine gags in full stride) and cause the other teams defenders to collapse on him leaving the slot open.

then again, i'm dreaming.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:45 AM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
one good thing about sami on the blueline is that teams will not expect his speed coming out of the defensive zone. if he chooses to carry the puck, he could stretch out the defnders and make a quick pass to a streaking forward (imagine gags in full stride) and cause the other teams defenders to collapse on him leaving the slot open.

then again, i'm dreaming.
My only problem with that scenario is when you mentioned Gagne. Granted, he IS fast, but on the topic of his other talents, he's lacking. Dude NEVER shoots at the RIGHT time, shoots WAY too much at the wrong time, and can barely put the puck in the net (IE, one of the worst shooting percentages I've ever seen)... One thing I look forward to when JR gets back is hopefully trying something crazy like Zhamnov at center and Amonte and Roenick on the wings. Then again, spreading the talent around to three lines, rather than two, might be a better idea.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Teezax

One thing that pisses me off is that we have so much speed in our lineup and don't use it to our advantage like Ottawa or Detroit do. Guys like Kappy, Amonte, Gags JR, Pitkanen are all horses, it's time we start using their wheels.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Kapanen played great defense thus far. I'd rather Kaps over an inexperienced simialr style player like Seids playing.
This doesn't take away from the fact that he is a foward, and is more effective as a foward, and is paid to be a foward, and is used as a foward when our best checking line of fowards is put together with Kapanen, Primeau (when he comes back) and Brashear (or whoever is the LW this week) If he was going to be used as a defenseman, Clarke wouldn't have had to panic back when people when getting hurt. Sami Kapanen has as much playoff experience as a defenseman as Seidenberg and Timander do. There is no reason to make him a defenseman. Not because he did good in a pinch role vs. a horrible Washington team. Not because Tim Pannicco said so (because he is a goof to begin with). Seidenberg isn't going to play in the playoffs anyways if everyone is healthy. (1-Desjardins, 2-Johnsson, 3-Markov, 4-Malakhov, 5-Ragnarsson, 6-Pitkanen, 7-Timander, 8-Seidenberg)

And please cite where I claim I have inside info...Sure, I was wrong about Therien. I still can't beleive someone would take him let alone trade for him (espically with him being on waivers and everything) Please show me where I say my teachings are infalliable. My home is NOT the Vatican of Hockey. Anyways, Therien is a non-issue and if you have such a huge problem with my objectivity and realism then don't read it.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:41 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
This doesn't take away from the fact that he is a foward, and is more effective as a foward, and is paid to be a foward, and is used as a foward when our best checking line of fowards is put together with Kapanen, Primeau (when he comes back) and Brashear (or whoever is the LW this week) If he was going to be used as a defenseman, Clarke wouldn't have had to panic back when people when getting hurt. Sami Kapanen has as much playoff experience as a defenseman as Seidenberg and Timander do. There is no reason to make him a defenseman. Not because he did good in a pinch role vs. a horrible Washington team. Not because Tim Pannicco said so (because he is a goof to begin with). Seidenberg isn't going to play in the playoffs anyways if everyone is healthy. (1-Desjardins, 2-Johnsson, 3-Markov, 4-Malakhov, 5-Ragnarsson, 6-Pitkanen, 7-Timander, 8-Seidenberg)

And please cite where I claim I have inside info...Sure, I was wrong about Therien. I still can't beleive someone would take him let alone trade for him (espically with him being on waivers and everything) Please show me where I say my teachings are infalliable. My home is NOT the Vatican of Hockey. Anyways, Therien is a non-issue and if you have such a huge problem with my objectivity and realism then don't read it.
The problem is you state it as fact when it's only your opinion (see the Therien thread) It's the stating of conjecture as fact that you need to address.

As far as Kapanen playing defense, Hitchcock brought it up, not the dunce from the Inquirer. He thought he showed a lot of good playmaking ability. The same kind of statements were in the Daily News.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
The problem is you state it as fact when it's only your opinion (see the Therien thread) It's the stating of conjecture as fact that you need to address.
That's wonderful.

Quote:
As far as Kapanen playing defense, Hitchcock brought it up, not the dunce from the Inquirer. He thought he showed a lot of good playmaking ability. The same kind of statements were in the Daily News.
I don't care what Hitchcock says. Hitchcock said Justin Williams was going to get first line ice time. Hitchcock said the younger players would get a lot more ice time, and older players would get less. Then they get dealt. Hitchcock can talk about how Kapanen will play defense in the playoffs all he wants. Not going to happen. That's an objective opinion and not a negative one (although opinions can be both objective and negative)

Old
03-19-2004, 02:00 PM
tytech

Quote:
That's wonderful.

I don't care what Hitchcock says. Hitchcock said Justin Williams was going to get first line ice time. Hitchcock said the younger players would get a lot more ice time, and older players would get less. Then they get dealt. Hitchcock can talk about how Kapanen will play defense in the playoffs all he wants. Not going to happen. That's an objective opinion and not a negative one (although opinions can be both objective and negative)
It's just your agressive king **** attitude that people resent. Hitchcock was justified in saying what he said believing that most of his players were going downhill. With the resurgence of Leclair and Recchi along with Amonte and some aquisitions, things didn't turn out that way. The way you speak is if you are Snider himself and calling all the shots with such assuredness and aggressiveness that there isn't anyway anyone else should have an opinion on the matter becasue yours is obviously the one that everyone should share and adhere to.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It's just your agressive king **** attitude that people resent. Hitchcock was justified in saying what he said believing that most of his players were going downhill. With the resurgence of Leclair and Recchi along with Amonte and some aquisitions, things didn't turn out that way. The way you speak is if you are Snider himself and calling all the shots with such assuredness and aggressiveness that there isn't anyway anyone else should have an opinion on the matter becasue yours is obviously the one that everyone should share and adhere to.
Welcome to Philadelphia. When I state an opinion of course I think I'm right. Why else would I post my opinion and think that I'm wrong and not ask questions?

Anyways, this is off topic.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:21 PM
tytech

Quote:
Welcome to Philadelphia. When I state an opinion of course I think I'm right. Why else would I post my opinion and think that I'm wrong and not ask questions?

Anyways, this is off topic.

"desperately wanting"---------->attention

Old
03-19-2004, 02:22 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:

By Tim Panaccio
yeah and notice the direct quotes from Hitchcock and Kapanen .

Quote:
lol, not happening? really? because Hitch and Kananen sound pretty ok with it and I think that they might know a little more than you. just a little though.

and it is something that you can just decide to do, if it is your best option. which they must think it is.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
yeah and notice the direct quotes from Hitchcock and Kapanen .
I am well aware of that. Bob Clarke, for lack of a better word, hates Panaccio and still gives him direct quotes. Maybe you missed where I said "I don't care what Hitchcock says." And personally I don't care for what Pannaccio writes because he has written drivel before. He's not Larry Brooks but he certainly isn't someone we read as gospel. Maybe they're just giving him something to write, which isn't uncommon.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
I am well aware of that. Bob Clarke, for lack of a better word, hates Panaccio and still gives him direct quotes. Maybe you missed where I said "I don't care what Hitchcock says." And personally I don't care for what Pannaccio writes because he has written drivel before. He's not Larry Brooks but he certainly isn't someone we read as gospel. Maybe they're just giving him something to write, which isn't uncommon.
How did this guy become a moderator? You're really losing credibility kid. 19 years old, right? Clean up in aisle 6!

Old
03-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
How did this guy become a moderator? You're really losing credibility kid. 19 years old, right? Clean up in aisle 6!
He has more knowlege of the game and the Flyers than you and tytech combined - that's why he's a moderator. Quit whining like a B**** tytech - opinions are just fine on this site - stated as a fact or otherwise. Wow- you found something he was wrong about (Therien) so what??? Did you think he'd be moved? I never imagined anyone would be stupid enough to take him.

So stick to the topic and give us your opinion on KAPANEN AS A DEFENSEMAN. Not your opinion on other's opinions because we don't care.

Kapanen won't play D in the playoffs. He's too small and that's that. That's my opinion - am I pompous too?

Old
03-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
He is a miniature Johnsson and he created some nice rushes from our end. He can tie up a defender as well as Johnson can and also hit better

Lidstrom is the NHL' s best defensman and I don't remember him clearing anyone. Neidermeyer either.
Your analysis is based on WHAT??? The Washington game that we lost? You're comparing him to Neidermeyer and Lidstrom "the NHL's best defenseman"

???????

The ONLY accurate thing you wrote was "miniature"

Old
03-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Liquidrage*

Kapanen was already tried on the blueline for the PP and looked completely lost and they had to end the experiment.

Hitch just refuses to give a young guy a solid chance and would rather try Kapanen then let Joni play more minutes or let Seidenberg play when he's ready (which is before the playoffs).
We have eyes. Who's better on the PP, Malakov or Pitkanen? Pitkanen, and it's no close at all. Yet Malakov could come off a 2 minute shift and be put back out there over Pitkanen. Well, now he's gone.

And now we're back here all over again with Kapanen as if that last try never happened. Maybe if Hitch had actually given some real time (as in late game) to some other guys to get them experience and confidence instead of yanking them at the 1st mistake while letting guys like Therien screw up to now end we wouldn't be in this position now.

Hitch better win a cup. Because he's doing nothing to make this team better in the future.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:46 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
He has more knowlege of the game and the Flyers than you and tytech combined - that's why he's a moderator. Quit whining like a B**** tytech - opinions are just fine on this site - stated as a fact or otherwise. Wow- you found something he was wrong about (Therien) so what??? Did you think he'd be moved? I never imagined anyone would be stupid enough to take him.

So stick to the topic and give us your opinion on KAPANEN AS A DEFENSEMAN. Not your opinion on other's opinions because we don't care.

Kapanen won't play D in the playoffs. He's too small and that's that. That's my opinion - am I pompous too?
Well Sally, excuse me if I offended you and your boyfriend. I was merely pointing out that by stating opinion as fact he opened himself up to more harsh criticism. He's a kid and thinks he knows it all already. He knows more about hockey than you, most likely, but he's still fresh in the world as far as I'm concerned.

Hitchcock said Kapanen might play some D in the playoffs. That's what this thread is about, did you lovers miss the title? All of a sudden GKJ comes in with his all knowing insights saying it will never happen. Hitchcock said it might, why not wait and see if he does or doesn't, GKJ has been proven wrong before, recently. All he has to do is say "I doubt it" or " In my opinion..." That's it, and this isn't even an argument.

If that's your opinion then yeah, your pompous too, get it? Oh well I'm sure your boyfriend can get a deal on KY at work, employee discount and all.

Closed Thread