HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doing what we do best: Caps @ Canes - March 21st

Old
03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Eh, I just called it like I saw it. If you're going to call the matching roughing penalties on Gleason/Semin, you had to have done the same on the Green/Pitkanen scrum.

Still, I'll take the win. Ward was amazing again, made some really great saves, and kept the team alive in the 1st.

And yes, as far as I'm aware, everyone I took to the game had a blast (sans the Captials fans. Argued every call in the game. Probably why I sound like a Florida fan now).

Greatest moment in the game: The Whitney/Babchuk situation late in the game. I see Whitney one-on-one with the defenseman and look to see who might jump in to make it an odd man rush. Noticed it was Babs chugging away as hard as he can, and laughed a little. Leaned over and said "Poor Babs, he tries so hard".

Of course, he goes ahead and scores a beaut immediately after. Cracked up.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Eh, I just called it like I saw it. If you're going to call the matching roughing penalties on Gleason/Semin, you had to have done the same on the Green/Pitkanen scrum.
That scrum was all Greene. He came after Pitkanen and took a shot. Only thing Pitkanen did was goat Greene into taking a stupid penalty. Greene came in and Pitkanen said something to him which pissed Greene off. Pitkanen didn't take any shots at Greene though.

Anyway, on to the game. That was fun. Caps definetly had the advantage in the 1st and Ward saved their butts. I was glad to see that our guys actually hit Ovechkin. I wouldn't say they outhit the Caps, but they matched them pretty close hit for hit. And I absolutly loved Gleason's butt check, LOL.

Ovechkin sold that penalty there at the end. It was clearly a penalty on Brindy and the ref would have gotten it, but he literally jumped into the glass and as he fell threw his head back like he just got shot. Which makes it only fitting that it was him who got to see Corvo's shot hit the net up close like that. Maybe its a good thing Corvo played some baseball as a kid huh.

Anyway huge win tonight. Now we have to go down to Sunrise and take care of business there.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
mlc040709

god...someone pick up the florida game!

mlc040709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
meh, I don't even think he embellished it at all. That wasn't exactly an Orprick hit but OV was definitely losing his footing there a bit when Brindy connected on it. The ice has been pretty bad since they came back from the west coast trip when the carnival was in town. That definitely played a role in the Isles game last night and was starting to again late tonight.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
That scrum was all Greene. He came after Pitkanen and took a shot. Only thing Pitkanen did was goat Greene into taking a stupid penalty. Greene came in and Pitkanen said something to him which pissed Greene off. Pitkanen didn't take any shots at Greene though.
Then how did Green wide up without a helmet?

Old
03-21-2009, 10:31 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Just saw the highlights. Pitkanen's goal = Yes man. Beauty wait out. Babs goal was big time too. Great presence in front of the net. And Corvo's goal is maybe goal of the year. Just brings a smile to my face to see it go in like that. This team is getting hot at the right time. Me likey.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Corvo still complaining about the ice after the game. "Welcome to the Southeast Division," he says. "It's always like that." He was in great spirits, though.

Hell of a day.

03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Corvo cracks me up. He definitely speaks his mind.

I thought Ovechkin's positioning on the Brind'Amour hit was very smart of his part - he figured he'd draw a call and he was right. His crumpling performance was worthy of a Euro soccer star, but give him credit for the smarts to draw the call.

Nice effort all around tonight. Jokinen had a few terrific plays (in both zones, at key times) that won't show up on scoresheet.

But here we go with Florida again, where they seem to need the game worse than us. We'll have to really work, because they will be in desperation mode.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

It'd be the ultimate redemption if we beat them on Monday. They keep us out last season, we return the favor this season.

Old
03-21-2009, 11:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
It'd be the ultimate redemption if we beat them on Monday. They keep us out last season, we return the favor this season.
Monday's game is an exact opposite of last year's.
Panthers must win this game to keep their hopes alive, we have a cushion built in. Last year it was a must win game for us, while Panthers didn't care. From that perspective it will be an easier game to play for Canes, much less pressure.

However, I still would like to see Panthers in the playoffs this year. I like their team and I hope they'll pass Montreal, but not at our expense of course.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, both Montreal and Florida are collapsing badly, but Florida's getting Horton back on Monday (just in time, right? ), so maybe that'll help them get and hold that 8th spot.

Old
03-22-2009, 02:01 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I was extremely impressed tonight. I spent most of the night in the ER because I cut myself in pick-up but my girlfriend's dad works there so I was "treated" to the game. It sure beats us losing while I'm getting stitched up.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
caniac247

Quote:
According to the Panthers blogger at the Miami Herald, Centre Ice will have the game, but only Centre Ice. They are apparently going to use the in house feed as neither Florida or Carolina's broadcasters can pick up the game so late.

So anyone with Centre Ice can watch the game. Hopefully for others we can get a stream somewhere.

Old
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
WalkerBabe

Did something happen to Cullen last night? I read something on the N&O comment section that someone hoped he was okay? Please tell me he didn't take a big hit!!!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1014
Cullen only played 8 min and then left the game. John was saying on the post game that he would be surprised if he played monday night. LBC (lower body concern) is all we know.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

That's FANTASTIC news about Center Ice, not so fantastic news about Matt Cullen.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 10:58 AM
WalkerBabe

Caniac4ever, thanks for the info! I'm so sorry to hear that he has ANY problem, but I'm glad it wasn't his head! We need him now so I hope he won't be out long ...

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Picture perfect night.

Buffalo loses. Keeping them further and further behind.

Florida loses. Extending the stretch of their poor play and extending the gap between us and them.

Montreal loses. They just may miss this thing.

With that said, this thing is far from over. The teams below us who we're fighting with all have 2 games to play in order to even up. We've got to keep this thing in forward and keep pushing.

Monday night vs. Florida = HUGE. It should resemble nothing short of a game 7 playoff game.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
I thought Ovechkin's positioning on the Brind'Amour hit was very smart of his part - he figured he'd draw a call and he was right. His crumpling performance was worthy of a Euro soccer star, but give him credit for the smarts to draw the call.
Definitely was a boarding penalty and Brind'Amour, even though he let up a bit, ensured the call by following throw with his elbow to Ovechkin's head. The two-minute call was the right one without question.

Even still though, it was a WWE-worthy effort by AO like a wrestler trying to sell been thrown into the turnbuckle. Then he capped off the performance with the smelling salt routine. I guess he is looking for an Emmy to add to his trophy case, that is if there was a bad acting category.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
ncsu1

I will admit, sitting in 111, his face looked like he was hurt really bad when it went straight into the boards. When he went down I thought it was really hurt badly, but I couldn't see him on the ice.

By the way I'll stream the game Monday night so everybody can see it. (I'll also add some extra stuff in there, like the score and time because I doubt that the feed will have it.)

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 12:48 PM
rj

Went to my first game of the season last night (yeah, I know it's late).

First period was crap and I told my friend we were lucky to be tied. Washington was so much better the first 20.

Second period was much better but it was a bummer we let up the late goal with 30 seconds to go to give Washington an out.

Third period we dominated. Seemed like Washington was just standing around waiting for Ovechkin to do something. And a minute left in the game when he got checked, he went down solid like a rock. On the replay I think he might've acted a bit, but it sounded huge live.

How do you get diving and tripping penalties on the same play?

Lots of Caps fans there. We had 60-70 or so a couple sections over from us. There was a good section of them behind one of the goals. Post-game I took a leak and a Canes fan told all the Caps fans they were in the wrong bathroom, theirs was nextdoor. Then each fans started talking crap and if a couple people were more drunk there could've maybe been a poorly-coordinated fight.

Right now we're 6th and Washington's 3rd. If we make the playoffs, I'd be happy to draw them first round, I think we can take them.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 12:58 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rea11y View Post
Exactly. I watch Ovechkin alot, my favorite non-Cane and he only gets hit when he wants. Ovechkin dodged about 3 hits then stands straight up a few feet from the boards when he knows Brind'Amour was right behind him. There was nothing Rod could have done. A dive? Not really but he put himself in a position to draw that penalty. He's a smart, tough player. Clearly a penalty but I don't think there was any malice there by Brind'Amour
Seemed to me like the Canes were hitting Ovechkin a lot in the game early.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 02:35 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBabe View Post
Did something happen to Cullen last night? I read something on the N&O comment section that someone hoped he was okay? Please tell me he didn't take a big hit!!!
He blocked a shot in the Islanders game with his foot and he was actually questionable to play last night. Hence why Ryan was in for warm ups.

Per Chip, Cullen will not be playing tomorrow night. So i'd except Jokinen to move up to his spot. Eaves moves up with Brindy/Samsonov and Ryan will be inserted for the 4th with Helminen/Conboy.

Old
03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Walker has been practicing with the team, i won't be surprised to see him inserted on the 4th line on Monday.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Old Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Seemed to me like the Canes were hitting Ovechkin a lot in the game early.
Mo indicated that Corvo had been "assigned" to Ovechkin.
Then in the post game interview (if you didn't see it), Corvo said that they had words in the first period.
When Tripp asked him about baseball and which league he would have preferred if he had chosen baseball over hockey he replied "The American League, then I could be the DH".

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote