HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it a fair package to land Lecavalier IYO?

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2009, 01:50 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Is it a fair package to land Lecavalier IYO?

Halak + S.Kostitsyn + Higgins + Ben Maxwell + OByrne or Gorges

Tanguay Lecavalier A.Kost

MaxPac Plekanec Perezhogin

Latendresse Lapierre Dagostini

Laraque Chipchura Stewart

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 03-21-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old
03-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
No way they'd accept that joke proposal. Even if it did work out for them in spades, they want a name player that can draw a crowd in that dying circus

Old
03-21-2009, 01:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

No.

There needs to be quality over quantity.

Old
03-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Dripper

vCash: 205
You're not getting Lecavalier without giving one our two of your best prospects..

Your proposal sends pretty much all of our underachievers to TB for a franchise center.

IMO, you have to include a center (Plekanec), a highly toughted prospect (Pacioretty or Subban), 2 NHL player (Latendresse, D'Agostini, Higgins, one of the bro, or Gorges) an a 1st round pick. And that's a minimum..

Plekanec, Subban, AKost, SKost, 1st pick

Old
03-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Phousse

These are pretty horrible proposals. Do you know who Lecavalier is?

Old
03-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Plekanec, Subban, AKost, SKost, 1st pick
Threadstarter was an example of underpayment, You are an example of overpayment IMO

EDIT: in the eyes of TB fans it's probably not underpayment, but I still would not make this move

Old
03-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Carboneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

LOL at that proposal... this isnt nhl 09

Old
03-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

If you give up Halak/S.Kost/Higgins/O'Byrne or Gorges. You give up 4 roster players from next season.

There's no reason to think Perezhogin is going to come back, nor am I sure we want him seeing as we want to change the type of player we bring in.
Lapierre should be our 4th line center, not 3rd. Unless Chipper works on his speed, he'll have a hard time cracking the line up of a good team.
If MaxPac is in the top 6, he better be much more productive than he is today. Again, we'd be setting high expectations on a young player which as we've seen, isn't the best idea.

Giving up Gorges or O'Byrne would mean we'd only have one of the two on top of Markov/Hamrlik signed for next year.
We'd need to sign at least 3Ds, one of which would have to be a top 2 (Komi).
We'd also have to sign another Goalie and looking at the way Price collapsed(or is easily distracted) again for the 2nd year in a row, I wouldn't be confident in getting rid of our 2nd best goalie prospect.

The roster you have lined up doesn't look very good to be honest.

Old
03-21-2009, 02:44 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

We don't even need to trade Vinny now, especially not if we get a top 2 pick. We'll draft whomever, then sign a solid defenseman and this franchise will be a 6th or 7th seed next season, wait and see.

Old
03-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
We don't even need to trade Vinny now, especially not if we get a top 2 pick. We'll draft whomever, then sign a solid defenseman and this franchise will be a 6th or 7th seed next season, wait and see.
Is that before or after your team goes bankrupt?

Old
03-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:

If Mike O'Connell were TB's GM, he'd accept this deal minus Halak & O'Byrne

Old
03-21-2009, 03:26 AM
mastodon

I am trying to work out a fair deal to get Lecavalier here, but two things strike me first off. Tampa has zero need for Halak, they have Mike Smith who is their number one, and then Kari Ramo in the pipeline. Secondly, I am thinking a Lecavalier deal hinges on Markov. Something along the lines of Markov, Plekanec, prospect (D'Ags), and a package of draft picks. Losing Markov would be brutal, but if it had to happen I would throw the bank at Bouwmeester. Offer him a front-loaded five or six year deal so he gets something like... 7, 6.5, 6.5, 6, 6, 5.5. I want to try to work out a package for Vinny and then the resulting team I would try to build. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Old
03-21-2009, 03:38 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiffle View Post
These are pretty horrible proposals. Do you know who Lecavalier is?
I know that there will be few teams interested in Lecavalier if he is avalaible, the reason is simple, DG are effraid of the big long term contracts, the recession will make the salary cap drop for sure in 2 years from now and they dont know at what point.. Also when you give big long term money to a player there is a risk, a risk that your players go through some serious injuries (Lecavalier had shoulder injury earlier in the season, Rick Dipietro is another good exemple).. Also, under a cap era, you have to be sure to have some good depth to support your high paid leaders, otherwise, it gives the kind of result Tampa get right now.. There are few teams in our position to package some cheap quality kids too.. Its well known that the Habs have been drafing some futur NHLers over the years, HF had the Habs always among their top 5 in the last few years.. Alot of people were wondering why cause we hadnt alot of futur all stars in the making but rather a solid pool of NHL material kids.. What I mean is that not alot of teams can afford to let 2-3 solid quality kids go without affecting their depth.. Add the fact that Tampa have some incredible financial issue, very few quality prospects in the system to eventually support their stars, no playoffs for the next 3 years even if they keep our big guys.. They will have to trade both Lecavalier and St-Louis and get young cheap players in return..

I was listening to la zone today and Danny Dubé made an excellent comment regarding our young guys and the ones called up from Hamilton.. Dubé said it was pretty hard to evaluate those kids properly cause unless your name is Crosby Ovechkin and some others, its pretty tough to make an impact on the team when your vets and your supposed leader doesnt show you the way.. What just confirm what I wrote in my thread "bad leadership" the other day..

We all know the center line is our weakness, add a guy like Lecavalier and our young wingers pan out instantaneously..

Halak will be a pretty solid starter in this league, do you still doubt about it? You already see some other fans asking about what it would cost to get him..

Higgins is a pretty good all around player, 3 seasons of 25 goals, he always play his best hockey when the challenge is high despite all his injuries that slowed his development down... If the team gets on the right track, alot of our kids will increase their value and I expect Higgins to have a solid last stretch and good playoffs too.. You can swap Higgins and Dagostini in that package Ive no prob, personally I love Higgins and hope he stays, but you have to give to get..

S.Kost had some off ice issue and is apparently out of shape but do you really doubt about this kid talent? Will become a pretty solid top 6 in this league if he does some clean up in his head.. Ben Maxwel is not a future NHLer yet, its too soon to tell, but he had an amazing rookie season in the AHL, he has some undeniable skills, its just a matter of experience and progression.. he is a really nice project at the moment.. OByrne and Gorges are pretty young, cheap, so they can use those guys to add depth to their team..

I think we could land Lecavalier with a such offer, add our first round pick at worst.. I could see a team like L.A. being able to give as many quality assets but I doubt they are interested in Lecavalier's contract.. Buffalo have alot of cheap skilled kids but its a small market and they cant afford him financially.. Several teams are already engaged with some big contracts, they would be over the cap.. Mtl has 10 UFA, including Koivu 5 millions and Kovalev 4.5 millions, they have alot of promising kids as well.. I believe in our chances more than ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon View Post
I am trying to work out a fair deal to get Lecavalier here, but two things strike me first off. Tampa has zero need for Halak, they have Mike Smith who is their number one, and then Kari Ramo in the pipeline. Secondly, I am thinking a Lecavalier deal hinges on Markov. Something along the lines of Markov, Plekanec, prospect (D'Ags), and a package of draft picks. Losing Markov would be brutal, but if it had to happen I would throw the bank at Bouwmeester. Offer him a front-loaded five or six year deal so he gets something like... 7, 6.5, 6.5, 6, 6, 5.5. I want to try to work out a package for Vinny and then the resulting team I would try to build. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
ramo is atrocious, Smith a bottom NHL stater..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its not like Lecavalier was 25 years old, he is soon to be 30 years old and has a long term lucrative contract.. 5 years earlier I would agree that the price to pay would have been huge, including some of our core prospects but I dont think thats the reality of today..

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-21-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old
03-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Axeshun

IMO, I don't think we should get Lecavalier. As it's been said 1000 times his contract is a joke, it would be a nightmare down the stretch.

Old
03-21-2009, 04:22 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
its not like Lecavalier was 25 years old, he is soon to be 30 years old and has a long term lucrative contract.. 5 years earlier I would agree that the price to pay would have been huge, including some of our core prospects but I dont think thats the reality of today..
Forwards's Peak in the NHL is 29-30 so that argument is non valid

Old
03-21-2009, 04:43 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
ramo is atrocious, Smith a bottom NHL stater..
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Smith is an above avg starter in his first full year, he has potential to be a consistent top 5 netminder when he has a half decent defense in front of him. As for this deal, it just isn't going to happen. Mtl cannot afford to give up as much as S Kosty, Higgins, Maxwell, Gorges and a 1st round pick with older players like Koivu and Kovalev having such big cap hits. And on the other hand, we in Tampa want quality more than quantity meaning we would like the youngsters plus at least 1 good, current NHL player in return.

Old
03-21-2009, 04:45 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
As for this deal, it just isn't going to happen. Mtl cannot afford to give up as much as S Kosty, Higgins, Maxwell, Gorges and a 1st round pick with older players like Koivu and Kovalev having such big cap hits. .
The total cap hit of these two is going to be zero. Not exactly big.

But I shouldn't single that out since I pretty much agree with everything else.

Old
03-21-2009, 05:11 AM
HockeyF3ind

I thought the deal offered by Tampa before all the hoopla stopped it was

LeCav for Pleks, Higgins, Subban, Gorges

Old
03-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Can any mods put a thread-starting ban on the OP please?
Hey, at least he fixed the mistake in his name.

Old
03-21-2009, 07:22 AM
cat

Would T-Bay take price

Looks like another theodore on our hands, I hope we don't have to watch this unfold for 4 or 5 years. I don't think the kid is going to cut it here with the pressure and all, maybe Tampa would be a good place for him.

Old
03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
kalessin

Give your head a shake.

Old
03-21-2009, 07:30 AM
BeBen*

Would Tampa take him? certainly in a package deal for one of their star

Do we want to get rid of Price? the management doesent but its becoming pretty clear that the guy doesent have the mental to play in Montreal

Im sure someday we'll have to face the truth, the kid is not cut up for this city

Old
03-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Originalsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Looks like another theodore on our hands, I hope we don't have to watch this unfold for 4 or 5 years. I don't think the kid is going to cut it here with the pressure and all, maybe Tampa would be a good place for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Would Tampa take him? certainly in a package deal for one of their star

Do we want to get rid of Price? the management doesent but its becoming pretty clear that the guy doesent have the mental to play in Montreal

Im sure someday we'll have to face the truth, the kid is not cut up for this city

Still WAAAY to early to call him a bust. Need to give him more time to mature. For sure Gainey made the mistake of anointing him the starter. We should have gotten a veteran to play with Halak and sent Price to the AHL for a couple of years. Or at the very least gotten a veteran backup to mentor him. In any case, way to early to say, could just be a sophomore slump (+ injury recovery) with all of the drama that has plagued the team this year. Also it's doesn't help that the defense blows.

Old
03-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Maximus Taylor

Old
03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
NSi

This will not end well

Closed Thread