HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bugsy's thoughts on Ovechkin's celebration antics

Old
03-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
Passion is nice, but scoring the seventh goal in a 7-2 rout shouldn't produce the same celebration as a game tying goal late in the 3rd period. I like Ovechkin, I just think he overdoes it at times.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
I think hotdog celebrations are the dumbest thing about professional sports. It's his ****ing job to score goals. If I celebrated every time I successfully did my job for almost a year in a row, I'd expect everyone I work with to call me out on it too.

Sigh. But of course, the 15 year-olds on the main board are gonna lap this **** up like a bunch of retarded, high fructose corn-swilling kittens.
^^^^ Perfectly said.

Quote:
Passion is nice, but scoring the seventh goal in a 7-2 rout shouldn't produce the same celebration as a game tying goal late in the 3rd period. I like Ovechkin, I just think he overdoes it at times.
I agree as well. I enjoy passion and think its good for the game but there is only so much I can take (when it's 7-2 and you're cheering as if it were an OT winner).

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
aren't you european?you should know everything about this sort of celebration after scoring a goal.maybe I got it wrong anyway.
I wish more players would over-celebrate one way or another.why not?it's a sport,they are the chosen-few,it's nothing like a regular job.but that's just me...
No, you're right, but I'm Slovak. We're not Italians, you know.

I don't have a problem with a good goal celebration, but save it for something that really matters, ya know?

The whole celebration just seemed like it was cooked up by some sleazy marketing executive from the early 90's.

"Alex, baby, the focus group says you need to be more XXTREME, with TWO x's. It tests real well with the 12-16 crowd and we can probably leverage it into Alexander Ovechkin brand acme treatment!"

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I agree, lol.

And how about this, you see players in the NFL going over the top over any singular play in a game, no matter how trivial the game is, and then when such occurrence happens in meaningful game, a player gets a fine. And there is outrage that there was no flag thrown.

And I am talking specifically about Santonio Holmes catch in the Super Bowl. You have one of the biggest catches in NFL history, a catch to win a Super Bowl, an occasion in which you would expect an incredible showing of emotion. And what happens, people are looking for a flag?? And he gets fined by the league.

That is messed up to me.
Santonio's celebration was borderline retarded. That's what's messed up.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

I don't have a problem with a good goal celebration, but save it for something that really matters, ya know?

The whole celebration just seemed like it was cooked up by some sleazy marketing executive from the early 90's.

"Alex, baby, the focus group says you need to be more XXTREME, with TWO x's. It tests real well with the 12-16 crowd and we can probably leverage it into Alexander Ovechkin brand acme treatment!"

Hey, hey, I resemble that.

I do think AO, being the golden boy right now, knowing that fans love him, is just giving more of what he probably believes the fans want. He is so popular, and people like his celebrations, he may have a case of "I have to top that celebration", or "just keep giving people more".

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:41 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
Quote:

indeed,and that was because it was sloppy executed.
also it looked a bit extreme because hockey celebrations are extremely "dry" usually.but it wasn't that over the top,IMO again.
do you want me to look up the youtube for finding some slovak football players celebrating a goal?

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:43 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Hey, hey, I resemble that.

I do think AO, being the golden boy right now, knowing that fans love him, is just giving more of what he probably believes the fans want. He is so popular, and people like his celebrations, he may have a case of "I have to top that celebration", or "just keep giving people more".
Plus when he talks it reminds people of Borat.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 02:45 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
indeed,and that was because it was sloppy executed.
also it looked a bit extreme because hockey celebrations are extremely "dry" usually.but it wasn't that over the top,IMO again.
do you want me to look up the youtube for finding some slovak football players celebrating a goal?;)
To be fair, we're just happy we scored. It's not like Slovakia's a football powerhouse, you know.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
I feel bad for squirts and peewees across the country seeing that thinking it's cool and doing similar things during games because Ovechkin did it, and getting their ***** grilled by their coaches.

PJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
Quote:
To be fair, we're just happy we scored. It's not like Slovakia's a football powerhouse, you know.
of course,I'm romanian myself so I guess we are at the same level now.still,you have players in western leagues.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
I think hotdog celebrations are the dumbest thing about professional sports. It's his ****ing job to score goals. If I celebrated every time I successfully did my job for almost a year in a row, I'd expect everyone I work with to call me out on it too.

Sigh. But of course, the 15 year-olds on the main board are gonna lap this **** up like a bunch of retarded, high fructose corn-swilling kittens.
Couldn't agree more. I'm much more impressed with someone acting like he expected to make a good play and letting the greatness of the play speak for itself than someone dancing around like a high-schooler on his virgin drunk. I'm not against celebrations per se, but when you've just scored a goal on a lucky bounce 30 seconds into a game, there's no reason to lose your mind like you just stickhandled through an entire team and undressed a goaltender to win a Game 7 in OT.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 03:53 PM
ZapRowsdower13
FROstige Worldwide!

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
I say let him celebrate til the cows come home if he wants. Which could be his 60th goal celebration...have actual moo cows come onto the ice and then ride one of them while throwing plush Ovie teddy bears into the crowd.

It's his choice to do such after scoring, don't like then lay him out before he does it....bc there isn't much other way to stop a guy like him. The celebration for 50 was pretty damn lame. I'd expect him to come up with something better but hey how many terrible NFL TD celebrations do you see? Lots. Ovies dive into his teammates and fire up the crowd by leaping into the glass is one of the best things he does. I know the Caps were on the road so jumping into the glass wasn't an option but getting his team psyched after doing something like that would have been much better.

But hey that's his deal, hopefully he'll do a lil dance or, even as someone mentioned before, ride the pony when he reaches an other plateau.

ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
I'm gonna just say it. I'm an Ovechkin fan. Capitals are my second favorite team.

That said, I think Ovechkin embarrassed himself more than everyone else. It speaks volumes when his own teammates wouldn't get in on the act, which they were invited to do. When I first saw the replay of his celebration, I felt embarrassed for him. I had no idea what it was that he was doing until I watched his interview and he explained that his "stick was on fire".

I don't mind goal celebrations. Regardless if it's a hockey player's job or not, it's still a game and it's still fun. I enjoy watching Geno slam into the boards after he scores or hearing Crosby yell and sometimes do a fist pump. I even like Ovechkin's regular, unplanned celebrations. However, anything premeditated is simply ridiculous. I still like Ovechkin, and barring a series against the Penguins, I'll be rooting for the Caps through the playoffs. But things like this are just unnecessary.

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey89 View Post
Proof please? I'm not being an ass I just don't remember this happening.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....es_on_red.html

"You have to have your head up and be ready. If your elbows get up quick enough, you have to protect yourself also," Malone, the 6-4, 224-pound Penguins forward, said during a conference call Wednesday. "If by accident your stick gets up a little bit, maybe he learns his lesson. He's definitely a player you have to keep your eye on."

Then in game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdgnVNxVmk

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Homerocks*

I am fan of this simply because anything that riles up players and teams can potentially better entertain us and is a good thing for the NHL.

More Ovechkin shenanigans only makes it all more interesting.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:05 PM

I was happy to hear Halpern sound off and he has it right. Its not a natural reaction anymore.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

I thought it was hilarious. Not called for for hockey but still kinda funny.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:23 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Randomly OT:

I was just driving around Robinson township & saw a sign that said "Bugsy Malone" and realized that Montour's middle school(or HS..idk really) is doing the Bugsy Malone musical for the spring.

I seriously thought it was a Ryan Malone sign or something by some fanatic.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Jacob

Quote:

Can you rasta-fy him by about 10%?

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
If you hate Ovechkin then you should want him to continue his flamboyant celebrations.
Oh I do, I want him to keep on doing it. Because I can not wait for the clip on sports center of him just getting 100% flat out destroyed by someone in the league, at this point I really do not care who, and which team the player plays for.

I simply want to see AO owned with a hit that would end the game for him just once. Just once.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....es_on_red.html

"You have to have your head up and be ready. If your elbows get up quick enough, you have to protect yourself also," Malone, the 6-4, 224-pound Penguins forward, said during a conference call Wednesday. "If by accident your stick gets up a little bit, maybe he learns his lesson. He's definitely a player you have to keep your eye on."

Then in game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdgnVNxVmk
Thank you much!

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I was happy to hear Halpern sound off and he has it right. Its not a natural reaction anymore.
I love it when you can see in a guys celebration that he loves to score. Especially big goals in big games. You know the complete opposite of his celebration.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Oh I do, I want him to keep on doing it. Because I can not wait for the clip on sports center of him just getting 100% flat out destroyed by someone in the league, at this point I really do not care who, and which team the player plays for.

I simply want to see AO owned with a hit that would end the game for him just once. Just once.
That will happen sooner or later if Ovechkin keeps playing that way. It doesn't even have to be his fault or a cheapshot or something. In this league, most of the players who live by the sword will die by the sword also. Lindros walked roughshod over everyone until he met Scott Stevens. And Stevens was hit into retirement by Brooks Orpik. Kevin Stevens knocked himself unconscious on Rich Pilon's visor. Cam Neely fought a long war of attrition with Ulfie, and lost.

Physical play will take its toll eventually. I'm sure Ovechkin knows this. I'm also sure he simply doesn't care. At least not yet.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
The Pens Are Back*

as i wrote when it happened... it was very TO/ chad johnson like.

and like those guys... he'll be targeteed for it... im a bit suprised it didn't happen in the game. to talk about it post game is a lil too late

on NHLs center ice they showed some clips of guys celebrating and craig button remarked about the celebrations of

tie domi.. riding stick
tiger williams..... " " and running on his skates
barnaby...... * putting his sword away*
fluery... sliding on his knees thru the nuetral zone after scoring the winner.

well, button should have realized that fluery's goal was a wiiner (i think overtime) and the otehrs are thought of as idiots. does ovechkin really want to be compared to the likes of barnaby, williams, and domi???

Last edited by The Pens Are Back*: 03-21-2009 at 07:08 PM.
The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
That will happen sooner or later if Ovechkin keeps playing that way. It doesn't even have to be his fault or a cheapshot or something. In this league, most of the players who live by the sword will die by the sword also. Lindros walked roughshod over everyone until he met Scott Stevens. And Stevens was hit into retirement by Brooks Orpik. Kevin Stevens knocked himself unconscious on Rich Pilon's visor. Cam Neely fought a long war of attrition with Ulfie, and lost.

Physical play will take its toll eventually. I'm sure Ovechkin knows this. I'm also sure he simply doesn't care. At least not yet.

wendel clark etc tec etc.

it gonna take its toll... eventually

The Pens Are Back* is offline   Reply With Quote