HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' collapse looks like trouble for Ruff, Regier

Old
03-21-2009, 05:56 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

vCash: 500
if its written by bucky gleason its written by the red headed bully in A Christmas Story.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
puckhead1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose28 View Post
I have no faith in Quinn being able to hire anyone better than what we've already got
Now that I think about it. Didn't Quinn hire Ruff and Regier?

puckhead1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 06:34 PM
wardigital*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
I'm going to miss Lindy as the coach. The guy is a gentleman and gave it his all when he played, too.

He'll go on somewhere, and if the management of the new team will pay to win, he'll get a Cup.
Let's not speak of him as though he's already gone just yet, hmm?

wardigital* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead1213 View Post
Now that I think about it. Didn't Quinn hire Ruff and Regier?
Nope, they were hired under the Rigas' regime...Quinn was persona non-grata then.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
hottytoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Nope, they were hired under the Rigas' regime...Quinn was persona non-grata then.
I would refer to this period as our "Glory days".

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
In the end I think the focus on offense over defense may cost Ruff his job, the new-new NHL is defense.

That said: Dumont, Briere, Drury, Biron, Kotalik, Campbell, Mckee, Conklin.....? Can't trade or let walk everyone and still expect to win. And what is this with keeping Connolly? A good player when healthy but that move tells me something is rotton in Buffalo.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 02:17 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose28 View Post
I have no faith in Quinn being able to hire anyone better than what we've already got
This is completely false for a pretty obvious reason:

every other man in the ring of hockey.... every HOCKEY BRAIN, obviously including ANY potential GM replacement for Regier....EVERYBODY realizes that this team is soft and needs some changes. There is no possibility in HELL that a GM would come in and not make moves to better the team.

Guys... the problem is SO easy to identify. We're not the Leafs where they "don't know where to start" with a rebuild. We have a true legitimate goalscorer, a starting goaltender, a captain with some leadership abilities, and some secondary, bottom-6 guys that can contribute. The holes are obvious with this squad, anybody that comes in can do a better job than Regier.

(funny... I was somewhat defending Regier no more than 2 weeks ago... my how things change)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
He's right. That's all I care about.
Agreed. I am his biggest critic, but something needs to change.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:41 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Bucky or no Bucky and heart of the article was dead on. the Sabres need a change of direction. I repsect and thank Darcy and Lindy for what they have done but things have gone stale. There is no reason this team should be shut out of the playoffs. The team is no longer moving forward and the teams hole remain unfilled, and when coaching is most needed it fails.

My biggest complaint with Lindy is he isn't getting enough out of the talent we have hear and 5 on 5 has been terrible. Darcy's biggest weakness is his inability to improve the club during the season, before its too late. Waiting year after year until trade deadline is too late and most of his trades have been made on that day.

I have my thoughts on the coaching front but the GM front is open. Definately don't bring in a new guy to be GM but a new, fresh coach would be fine by me. However, you need to change both position if and when the changes are made.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:27 AM
YoGman

Logic dictates Quinn fires Ruff. This justifies signing our rotten core. Blame the coach for the inabilty to bring out the "talents" and reassure the public this core needs another year of growth. Change coach, improve by a couple wins, still miss playoffs, but Quinn encouraged by improvement, etc.

YoGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:32 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Logic dictates Quinn fires Ruff. This justifies signing our rotten core. Blame the coach for the inabilty to bring out the "talents" and reassure the public this core needs another year of growth. Change coach, improve by a couple wins, still miss playoffs, but Quinn encouraged by improvement, etc.
Plus, firing Ruff would cost less than firing Regier. One year instead of two to pay off.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 09:47 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Since when have we evaluated miller as if he was just along for the ride? Bucky does not know where to start and when to stop. The draft is one aspect that is vital for any team to compete. When the sabres were doing well, other teams were loading up on high talent. Darcy may have had one of the better first round drafts last year. bucky needs to follow the draft better, because if he did he would know the who's and whys of player development.

Firing a suit would just be a blue-collar blunder. Of all the players bucky’s man text complains about loosing, the main guy i wanted to keep was miller.

ImpressedDAHagent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
puckhead1213

Quote:
Good. Now I can resume believing Quinn has never made a good decision.

puckhead1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I've always liked Ruff, but after 12 years or so perhaps he is burn't out.

That said, push come to shove, I think Ruff could be as good as Hitchcock or Trotz with a slight change in focus. Ruff was a defenseman and must love the defensive game, it's Regeir who should get the boot.

Regeir has lost his mind based on trading Kotalik and resigning Connolly. The league is watching Buffalo and snickering because the Sabres still think the game is run and gun. Just sayin.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo...ck_and_red_era

Quote:
ew owners

Despite the infighting, the season was a fitting tribute to Seymour Knox, who died on May 22, 1996. During the season, his brother Northrop sold the team to John Rigas, owner of Adelphia Communications.

The first act under the new management was made by outgoing President Larry Quinn to fire general manager John Muckler, who had a noted feud with Nolan. All-Star goaltender Hasek, who supported Muckler, openly told reporters at the NHL Awards Ceremony that he did not respect Nolan, placing new GM Darcy Regier in a tough position. He offered Nolan just a one-year contract for a reported $500,000. Nolan refused on the grounds that his previous contract was for two years, before he was Coach of the Year. Regier then pulled the contract off the table and didn't offer another one, ending Nolan's tenure as Sabres coach. Nolan was offered several jobs from the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Islanders, which he turned down, and was out of the NHL until June 2006 when he was named coach of the Islanders. After Nolan, former Sabres captain Lindy Ruff, Buffalo's current bench boss, was hired as head coach on July 21, 1997, agreeing to a three-year deal.
Quinn oversaw the hiring of Regier and Ruff during his first stint with the Sabres.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote