HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
We talk about moving back to get additional picks, but what about the Sabres moving up to get Brayden Schenn? The cost to get Kane may be a little more, but the comparisons to Iginla are there, and there were rumors of Darcy at one time wanting Iginla...There will be bidders for both.

Both look like surefire guys, and they did go to the WHL with their first two picks last year after all.

Better question - dangle Roy? Betterer question: is that its own thread?
My first thought was "what would you give up to get Schenn?" I was thinking about not having a second round pick. However, you answered the question with Derek Roy. Are you suggesting Roy and #13 for pick #???(Schenn)? If you are moving picks and core players to move up, I would look to see what it would take to get Tavares. Aside from Vanek, Miller and Myers I'm willing to give up just about anything.

Old
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Megaera

The Islanders need a franchise player. Not necessarily for hockey reasons but for PR reasons. They need the first pick overall more than they need any player or combination of players the Sabres would offer them. I would be shocked if they were willing to trade it.

Old
04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
We talk about moving back to get additional picks, but what about the Sabres moving up to get Brayden Schenn? The cost to get Kane may be a little more, but the comparisons to Iginla are there, and there were rumors of Darcy at one time wanting Iginla...There will be bidders for both.

Both look like surefire guys, and they did go to the WHL with their first two picks last year after all.

I think LA is ripe for a trade up situation...

Roy, MacArthur, 13th overall
for
Stoll, Boyle, Ivanans, 5th overall

we wouldn't be a team of smurfs anymore, at 5 overall we get an impact player, whether its Magnus, Evander, or Brayden.

Old
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
The Islanders need a franchise player. Not necessarily for hockey reasons but for PR reasons. They need the first pick overall more than they need any player or combination of players the Sabres would offer them. I would be shocked if they were willing to trade it.
I agree 100%, but this is the Islanders. Whether it is Wang, Snow or a reputation left from Milbury, they just don't seem to know the right thing to do, especially when it comes to prospects. Yashin for #2 pick (Spezza) sound familiar? Will history repeat itself?

Old
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I agree 100%, but this is the Islanders. Whether it is Wang, Snow or a reputation left from Milbury, they just don't seem to know the right thing to do, especially when it comes to prospects. Yashin for #2 pick (Spezza) sound familiar? Will history repeat itself?
Burke has thrown his hat in the ring.

But, does he have a package (especially if he doesn't throw Schenn in the deal) that makes the Isles bite?

I doubt it.

I wonder if Tampa Bay would dangle Vinny for the #1?

Old
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Burke has thrown his hat in the ring.

But, does he have a package (especially if he doesn't throw Schenn in the deal) that makes the Isles bite?

I doubt it.

I wonder if Tampa Bay would dangle Vinny for the #1?
I don't know if NYI would bite on Vinny in exchange for the number 1...personally Tampa's best course of action would be to keep Vinny and pick Hedman to give them a stud defender to go with their offensive firepower. They have a nice young core that could contend in a short while with some consistent injury free goaltending.

Old
04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think LA is ripe for a trade up situation...

Roy, MacArthur, 13th overall
for
Stoll, Boyle, Ivanans, 5th overall

we wouldn't be a team of smurfs anymore, at 5 overall we get an impact player, whether its Magnus, Evander, or Brayden.
That would be the kind of deal I'd look for if we were to trade Roy, which I don't see happening. Get another top 6 center (like Stoll), a center prospect (Boyle), and move up for a chance at one of the elite talents in this draft. Have you posted this anywhere else?

Old
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

That sounds threadworthy to me....

04-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That sounds threadworthy to me....
agreed. We need more Baker around here during the offseason.

Old
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
agreed. We need more Baker around here during the offseason.
Definitely. It's always great to hear his insight.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Hey guys, Panther fan here wondering who do you think the Sabres are targeting at #13? Like what players/type of players? Let's say the cookie-cutter top 10 goes as follows:

1)Tavares
2)Hedman
3)Duchene
4)Kane
5)Schenn
6)Paajarvi-Svensson
7)Ekman-Larsson
8)Cowen
9)Kadri
10)Kulikov

That leaves guys like Schroeder, Glennie, Ellis, Despres, Josefson, Kassian, Holland, Leblanc, Moore on the board. Do you think the Sabres pick one of these guys? Someone else? What is your greatest organizational need at the moment? Would really appreciate the insight. I always love to talk draft.

Old
04-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Hey guys, Panther fan here wondering who do you think the Sabres are targeting at #13? Like what players/type of players? Let's say the cookie-cutter top 10 goes as follows:

1)Tavares
2)Hedman
3)Duchene
4)Kane
5)Schenn
6)Paajarvi-Svensson
7)Ekman-Larsson
8)Cowen
9)Kadri
10)Kulikov

That leaves guys like Schroeder, Glennie, Ellis, Despres, Josefson, Kassian, Holland, Leblanc, Moore on the board. Do you think the Sabres pick one of these guys? Someone else? What is your greatest organizational need at the moment? Would really appreciate the insight. I always love to talk draft.
If they go by trend, pick the smallest, wussiest guy in the group with the highest likelihood of being a bust and pencil him in.

Old
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post

1)Tavares
2)Hedman
3)Duchene
4)Kane
5)Schenn
6)Paajarvi-Svensson
7)Ekman-Larsson
8)Cowen
9)Kadri
10)Kulikov

I love the way Kassian plays

Old
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
hottytoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think he'll go before we pick. But, he if fell to us, we'd have our Lucic. However, I don't think he fights as often as Lucic.

Old
04-20-2009, 07:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubs View Post
I think he'll go before we pick. But, he if fell to us, we'd have our Lucic. However, I don't think he fights as often as Lucic.
My concern at 13, if he's there, is the fact that he seems to be a raw translation, offensively, to the NHL. KB, any truth to that?

Physicality and fighting is dandy, but remember... Lucic wasn't a first rounder.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
BritSabre

Quote:
My concern at 13, if he's there, is the fact that he seems to be a raw translation, offensively, to the NHL. KB, any truth to that?

Physicality and fighting is dandy, but remember... Lucic wasn't a first rounder.
Lucic had 19 points in his draft year so that probably didn't help. Kassian was PPG this year I believe. Don't forget the OHL/WHL style difference effecting on production though.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:43 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If they go by trend, pick the smallest, wussiest guy in the group with the highest likelihood of being a bust and pencil him in.
Yep.

Quote:
Yep.

I also think he'll be gone before 13. I'm hoping that the Sabres either deal up or down, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Yep.

Yep.

I also think he'll be gone before 13. I'm hoping that the Sabres either deal up or down, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Hmmm, I thought that Kassian's stock had dropped a bit. Did something change to make it go back up or did I originally hear something wrong?

Old
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Hmmm, I thought that Kassian's stock had dropped a bit. Did something change to make it go back up or did I originally hear something wrong?
Every team aside from the Bruins and Ducks are looking for a good young power forward, and I wouldn't even count out the Bruins and Ducks. Guys with his size/skillset go earlier than expected, IMO.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Every team aside from the Bruins and Ducks are looking for a good young power forward, and I wouldn't even count out the Bruins and Ducks. Guys with his size/skillset go earlier than expected, IMO.
That makes sense. I guess the safest thing the Sabres could do is to find a way to move up into the top 5 because at least they'll definitely be able to get either Schenn or Kane. My money's on them standing pat though.

Old
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
That makes sense. I guess the safest thing the Sabres could do is to find a way to move up into the top 5 because at least they'll definitely be able to get either Schenn or Kane. My money's on them standing pat though.
Yep.

On the subject of the draft, since this is the draft thread, what do people think about using a 3rd on Steven Anthony, if he's still around? Guy was pegged as a top 3 pick a few years ago and has since been passed [obviously].

Old
04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

KB, a few names for you for us at 13:

Carter ashton... Big kid, too high at 13?

Chris Kreider?

Carl klingberg?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Also, pass on Hedman. Reading his bio, his favorite shows are Gossip Girls and One Tree Hill
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Also, pass on Hedman. Reading his bio, his favorite shows are Gossip Girls and One Tree Hill
Posted via Mobile Device
I suppose that's not too bad compared to that facebook thing involving Tyler Myers.

Old
04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I suppose that's not too bad compared to that facebook thing involving Tyler Myers.
One is a conscious decision and reflection of tastes.

Another is a dumb drunk night gone bad.

... I hope.

Closed Thread