HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
HarriSateri

vCash: 500
I will just say that I would love to trade up to take Cowen and rebuild around an invincible defensive core in Myers and Cowen. I could see Cowen being better than Hedman.

Old
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
I will just say that I would love to trade up to take Cowen and rebuild around an invincible defensive core in Myers and Cowen. I could see Cowen being better than Hedman.
I take Hedman for sure. He has Lidstrom written all over him.

Miller and 13th overall
for
2nd Overall, Mike Smith, Artuykhin

Myers-Hedman could potentially be the BEST pairing in the league in 3-4 years.

Old
05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Miller and 13th overall
for

Agreed.

Old
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Luceni

Quote:

Miller and 13th overall
for

I'd do that in a heartbeat.....

Old
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'd do that in a heartbeat.....
I can't see Tampa Bay moving that pick unless they get an NHL-Ready defenseman or two in the package.

Meszaros, Ranger, Mihalik, and Quick are the only blueliners they have under contract for next season.

Krajicek, Lashoff, Smaby, and Welch are all RFAs.

They need a blueline upgrade more than they need an upgrade in net, IMO.

So, I don't see how they can move the Hedman pick for that package.

Add in the increased cap hit in goal, and it really doesn't jump out to me like a deal that Tampa wants any part of.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
aceface33

Also, I don't think Tampa Bay sees Miller as being that much of an upgrade over Smith.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Also, I don't think Tampa Bay sees Miller as being that much of an upgrade over Smith.
dammit... cuz neither do i.

When you look at Smith's numbers and consider the team, and especially the defense he had...very impressive.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

The only way I see Tampa shopping that pick is if Hedman goes #1 overall and they opt to try and move back while improving their blueline while doing so.

If I'm the 'Ning GM, Hedman goes #1 and Buffalo calls about trading up, then I'm asking for Myers in the deal for that pick.

If Toronto calls, I want Schenn.

Old
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
French Connection

Quote:

Miller and 13th overall
for

This team NEEDs to get better at forward and should leave the big soft D Hedman off the radar.

A break out centre man should be a top priority in the first round nothing else.

Old
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdPooch View Post
This team NEEDs to get better at forward and should leave the big soft D Hedman off the radar.

A break out centre man should be a top priority in the first round nothing else.
soft like Lidstrom?

Old
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
soft like Lidstrom?
Quite the comparison for someone who has yet to see North American ice professionally.

I liken him to a bigger Rafalski, personally. Still not bad, but I don't see how anyone could be as good in all facets of the game as a defensemen like Lidstrom is.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:33 PM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdPooch View Post

The problem is the the defensemen are arguably better than all the forwards in this draft beyond the top 6 or 7 picks. I'd rather pickup a top 2 defenseman than a 2nd line forward. We have enough 2nd line players. If Jared Cowen is still available at 8 I want to see us trade up with Dallas for that pick.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Quite the comparison for someone who has yet to see North American ice professionally.

I liken him to a bigger Rafalski, personally. Still not bad, but I don't see how anyone could be as good in all facets of the game as a defensemen like Lidstrom is.
I like the Rafalski comparison better for Ellis, myself. As for Hedman, I'm not sure exactly who I'd compare him to but to be completely honest, I'd rather take a guy like Kulikov, OEL, or Cowen in the 7-10 range if we were going to look at a dman.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I like the Rafalski comparison better for Ellis, myself. As for Hedman, I'm not sure exactly who I'd compare him to but to be completely honest, I'd rather take a guy like Kulikov, OEL, or Cowen in the 7-10 range if we were going to look at a dman.
I don't think the Hedman discussion should really pertain to Buffalo at all. We'd be foolish to waste a top-15 pick on a defenseman when we're so devoid of prospects who are solid in the goalscoring and natural finishing/sniping department.

Or any forwards with the "offensive talent AND size" combination save for maybe Luke Adam.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I don't think the Hedman discussion should really pertain to Buffalo at all. We'd be foolish to waste a top-15 pick on a defenseman when we're so devoid of prospects who are solid in the goalscoring and natural finishing/sniping department.

Or any forwards with the "offensive talent AND size" combination save for maybe Luke Adam.
True, I'd love to trade into the back-end of the first round somehow and grab Budish since Kassian is really our only hope of that kind of player at our first pick, and I'm not really sure I'm completely sold on him.

Another guy who is a reach at our first pick but I wouldn't be all that upset about is Chris Kreider. He has all the tools (with size) as well as apparently being a top-notch kid/future captain material as well.

Old
05-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Luceni

I'd pick Stafan Ulmer with our 4th pick if he is aviable. That would be an awesome steal.
This guy has a lot of potential, imo. Solid defenseplay, can handle and carry the puck and has good wheels. The only negative thing about him is his size.

But I'm almost sure that any team will draft him with their 3rd rounder.

Old
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Aggozzino reminds me of a cross between Ott and Kaleta -- high-energy baby eater type. With the connections to the IceDogs, I wonder if they'd look at him in the mid-late rounds. He's self-motivated, contact oriented and stocky. Too bad he's under 6' tall....

05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?&id=39024

The videos have the players saying who their favorite NHLer is.

Kassian's answer: Todd Bertuzzi.

Old
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

After getting part way through the THN Draft Preview 09 issue, I'm starting to hope that Cowen slides due to the knee and the Sabres are able to jump up to the 7 to 10 range and nab him.

I don't see the knee injury limiting his upside down the road.

And a Cowen-Myers combo in 2014-15 would be AWESOME.

FYI, THN has Cowen rated 4th.......

Old
05-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I content with the fact that at 13.... Im probably not going to like the pick unless it's Kassian. I don't see this one shaking out in our favor. I'd really like to trade the pick for something we need now.

Trade down, Trade up, or trade the pick away completely. I wouldn't want to pick anywhere in the 10-25 range in this draft.

Old
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Personally, I can live with a few guys that might be there at 13.

Kassian for sure, but I could live with guys like Jordan Schroeder, Scott Glennie, Ryan Ellis, John Moore, Peter Holland, Carter Ashton, Jeremy Morin, Calvin De Haan, and Drew Shore.

Old
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I content with the fact that at 13.... Im probably not going to like the pick unless it's Kassian. I don't see this one shaking out in our favor. I'd really like to trade the pick for something we need now.

Trade down, Trade up, or trade the pick away completely. I wouldn't want to pick anywhere in the 10-25 range in this draft.
There's plenty of players that are good candidates in that range outside of Kassian. Just because he fills the size and aggression requirement doesn't mean he's going to turn into the next Lucic, he could just as easily be another Rasmussen. I don't mind the slot as there's some decent centers that could very well be available there and that's a bigger need on this team...I like Kadri, Josefson, Panik and Morin who all should be there. O'Reilly is growing on me but he would be a reach at that slot.

Players that might drop and be available would be Schroeder who's on the small size but has a ton of skill. They should also have some quality defensemen available like Moore, Laarson and you never know if someone might want to jump up to grab Ellis which might let them get back into the second round.

Old
05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Personally, I can live with a few guys that might be there at 13.

Kassian for sure, but I could live with guys like Jordan Schroeder, Scott Glennie, Ryan Ellis, John Moore, Peter Holland, Carter Ashton, Jeremy Morin, Calvin De Haan, and Drew Shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
There's plenty of players that are good candidates in that range outside of Kassian. Just because he fills the size and aggression requirement doesn't mean he's going to turn into the next Lucic, he could just as easily be another Rasmussen. I don't mind the slot as there's some decent centers that could very well be available there and that's a bigger need on this team...I like Kadri, Josefson, Panik and Morin who all should be there. O'Reilly is growing on me but he would be a reach at that slot.

Players that might drop and be available would be Schroeder who's on the small size but has a ton of skill. They should also have some quality defensemen available like Moore, Laarson and you never know if someone might want to jump up to grab Ellis which might let them get back into the second round.
I could live with Josefson. I don't think Ellis will fall to 13, and will be bummed if he does and we take him.... Kadri is top 10. Panik and Morin are the type of guys that led to my post. Sure they are solid prospects, but they or similar players could easily be had at 23...

I guess my real problem is that all the value in the range of our pick (#13) will be in Defensemen (Moore, Ellis, Despres, Kulikov, Laarson).

I'd rather trade down 10-12 spots where guys like Shore, Ashton, Oreilly, Caron, Budish, Brown, etc could still be available....

It's not that I dont like this draft. I just don't like where we are picking, I believe the talent after the first 8-10 prospects is relatively = over the next 30 picks, so picking 13 sucks.

Old
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Caron, Burish, Brown -- all should be available after 20, although Caron's post-season will see him on the rise.

I'm not all that interested in Schroeder, Moore or Ellis based on what is already in the pipeline. Kassian might be there, he might be there at 20... I'd rather they not make a Joel Savage type pick, but then again, I really like Kassian's overall game.

LeBlanc, while small, has the fire I'd like to see more of in the lineup.

De Haan might be worth a look, so too if Despres slips.

Old
05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I'd rather trade down 10-12 spots where guys like Shore, Ashton, Oreilly, Caron, Budish, Brown, etc could still be available....

It's not that I dont like this draft. I just don't like where we are picking, I believe the talent after the first 8-10 prospects is relatively = over the next 30 picks, so picking 13 sucks.
Here is some more fuel for that fire:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960

Quote:
No. 11 - 15
Average Rating: 4.58
Best: Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky, Alex Tanguay.
Worst: Matt Zultek, Michael Henrich, Scot Kelman, Artem Kryukkov, Jesse Niinimaki, Hugh Jessiman, A.J. Thelen, Teemu Riihijarvi.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 54%

No. 16 - 20
Average Rating: 4.44
Best: Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Alexander Frolov, Robyn Regehr, Petr Sykora.
Worst: Jens Karlsson, Jakub Koreis, Brad Church.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 62%

No. 21 - 25
Average Rating: 4.96
Best: Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Daniel Briere, Brad Boyes.
Worst: Luca Cereda, Jeff Brown, Craig Hillier, Mikhail Kuleshov, Nikos Tselios.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 72%

Closed Thread