HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
  #176
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
I will just say that I would love to trade up to take Cowen and rebuild around an invincible defensive core in Myers and Cowen. I could see Cowen being better than Hedman.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
  #177
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
I will just say that I would love to trade up to take Cowen and rebuild around an invincible defensive core in Myers and Cowen. I could see Cowen being better than Hedman.
I take Hedman for sure. He has Lidstrom written all over him.

Miller and 13th overall
for
2nd Overall, Mike Smith, Artuykhin

Myers-Hedman could potentially be the BEST pairing in the league in 3-4 years.

Jame is offline  
Old
05-05-2009, 06:43 PM
  #178
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I take Hedman for sure. He has Lidstrom written all over him.

Miller and 13th overall
for
2nd Overall, Mike Smith, Artuykhin

Myers-Hedman could potentially be the BEST pairing in the league in 3-4 years.
Agreed.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
  #179
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I take Hedman for sure. He has Lidstrom written all over him.

Miller and 13th overall
for
2nd Overall, Mike Smith, Artuykhin

Myers-Hedman could potentially be the BEST pairing in the league in 3-4 years.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.....

Luceni is offline  
Old
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
  #180
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'd do that in a heartbeat.....
I can't see Tampa Bay moving that pick unless they get an NHL-Ready defenseman or two in the package.

Meszaros, Ranger, Mihalik, and Quick are the only blueliners they have under contract for next season.

Krajicek, Lashoff, Smaby, and Welch are all RFAs.

They need a blueline upgrade more than they need an upgrade in net, IMO.

So, I don't see how they can move the Hedman pick for that package.

Add in the increased cap hit in goal, and it really doesn't jump out to me like a deal that Tampa wants any part of.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
  #181
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Also, I don't think Tampa Bay sees Miller as being that much of an upgrade over Smith.

aceface33 is offline  
Old
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
  #182
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Also, I don't think Tampa Bay sees Miller as being that much of an upgrade over Smith.
dammit... cuz neither do i.

When you look at Smith's numbers and consider the team, and especially the defense he had...very impressive.

Jame is offline  
Old
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
  #183
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
The only way I see Tampa shopping that pick is if Hedman goes #1 overall and they opt to try and move back while improving their blueline while doing so.

If I'm the 'Ning GM, Hedman goes #1 and Buffalo calls about trading up, then I'm asking for Myers in the deal for that pick.

If Toronto calls, I want Schenn.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
  #184
French Connection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I take Hedman for sure. He has Lidstrom written all over him.

Miller and 13th overall
for
2nd Overall, Mike Smith, Artuykhin

Myers-Hedman could potentially be the BEST pairing in the league in 3-4 years.
This team NEEDs to get better at forward and should leave the big soft D Hedman off the radar.

A break out centre man should be a top priority in the first round nothing else.

French Connection is offline  
Old
05-07-2009, 04:24 PM
  #185
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdPooch View Post
This team NEEDs to get better at forward and should leave the big soft D Hedman off the radar.

A break out centre man should be a top priority in the first round nothing else.
soft like Lidstrom?

Jame is offline  
Old
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
  #186
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
soft like Lidstrom?
Quite the comparison for someone who has yet to see North American ice professionally.

I liken him to a bigger Rafalski, personally. Still not bad, but I don't see how anyone could be as good in all facets of the game as a defensemen like Lidstrom is.

jBuds is online now  
Old
05-07-2009, 08:33 PM
  #187
HarriSateri
 
HarriSateri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdPooch View Post
This team NEEDs to get better at forward and should leave the big soft D Hedman off the radar.

A break out centre man should be a top priority in the first round nothing else.
The problem is the the defensemen are arguably better than all the forwards in this draft beyond the top 6 or 7 picks. I'd rather pickup a top 2 defenseman than a 2nd line forward. We have enough 2nd line players. If Jared Cowen is still available at 8 I want to see us trade up with Dallas for that pick.

HarriSateri is offline  
Old
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
  #188
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Quite the comparison for someone who has yet to see North American ice professionally.

I liken him to a bigger Rafalski, personally. Still not bad, but I don't see how anyone could be as good in all facets of the game as a defensemen like Lidstrom is.
I like the Rafalski comparison better for Ellis, myself. As for Hedman, I'm not sure exactly who I'd compare him to but to be completely honest, I'd rather take a guy like Kulikov, OEL, or Cowen in the 7-10 range if we were going to look at a dman.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
  #189
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I like the Rafalski comparison better for Ellis, myself. As for Hedman, I'm not sure exactly who I'd compare him to but to be completely honest, I'd rather take a guy like Kulikov, OEL, or Cowen in the 7-10 range if we were going to look at a dman.
I don't think the Hedman discussion should really pertain to Buffalo at all. We'd be foolish to waste a top-15 pick on a defenseman when we're so devoid of prospects who are solid in the goalscoring and natural finishing/sniping department.

Or any forwards with the "offensive talent AND size" combination save for maybe Luke Adam.

jBuds is online now  
Old
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
  #190
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I don't think the Hedman discussion should really pertain to Buffalo at all. We'd be foolish to waste a top-15 pick on a defenseman when we're so devoid of prospects who are solid in the goalscoring and natural finishing/sniping department.

Or any forwards with the "offensive talent AND size" combination save for maybe Luke Adam.
True, I'd love to trade into the back-end of the first round somehow and grab Budish since Kassian is really our only hope of that kind of player at our first pick, and I'm not really sure I'm completely sold on him.

Another guy who is a reach at our first pick but I wouldn't be all that upset about is Chris Kreider. He has all the tools (with size) as well as apparently being a top-notch kid/future captain material as well.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 04:05 AM
  #191
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
I'd pick Stafan Ulmer with our 4th pick if he is aviable. That would be an awesome steal.
This guy has a lot of potential, imo. Solid defenseplay, can handle and carry the puck and has good wheels. The only negative thing about him is his size.

But I'm almost sure that any team will draft him with their 3rd rounder.

Luceni is offline  
Old
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
  #192
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,815
vCash: 500
Awards:
Aggozzino reminds me of a cross between Ott and Kaleta -- high-energy baby eater type. With the connections to the IceDogs, I wonder if they'd look at him in the mid-late rounds. He's self-motivated, contact oriented and stocky. Too bad he's under 6' tall....

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
  #193
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?&id=39024

The videos have the players saying who their favorite NHLer is.

Kassian's answer: Todd Bertuzzi.


WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
  #194
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
After getting part way through the THN Draft Preview 09 issue, I'm starting to hope that Cowen slides due to the knee and the Sabres are able to jump up to the 7 to 10 range and nab him.

I don't see the knee injury limiting his upside down the road.

And a Cowen-Myers combo in 2014-15 would be AWESOME.



FYI, THN has Cowen rated 4th.......

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 10:08 AM
  #195
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
I content with the fact that at 13.... Im probably not going to like the pick unless it's Kassian. I don't see this one shaking out in our favor. I'd really like to trade the pick for something we need now.

Trade down, Trade up, or trade the pick away completely. I wouldn't want to pick anywhere in the 10-25 range in this draft.

Jame is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
  #196
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
Personally, I can live with a few guys that might be there at 13.

Kassian for sure, but I could live with guys like Jordan Schroeder, Scott Glennie, Ryan Ellis, John Moore, Peter Holland, Carter Ashton, Jeremy Morin, Calvin De Haan, and Drew Shore.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
  #197
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I content with the fact that at 13.... Im probably not going to like the pick unless it's Kassian. I don't see this one shaking out in our favor. I'd really like to trade the pick for something we need now.

Trade down, Trade up, or trade the pick away completely. I wouldn't want to pick anywhere in the 10-25 range in this draft.
There's plenty of players that are good candidates in that range outside of Kassian. Just because he fills the size and aggression requirement doesn't mean he's going to turn into the next Lucic, he could just as easily be another Rasmussen. I don't mind the slot as there's some decent centers that could very well be available there and that's a bigger need on this team...I like Kadri, Josefson, Panik and Morin who all should be there. O'Reilly is growing on me but he would be a reach at that slot.

Players that might drop and be available would be Schroeder who's on the small size but has a ton of skill. They should also have some quality defensemen available like Moore, Laarson and you never know if someone might want to jump up to grab Ellis which might let them get back into the second round.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
  #198
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Personally, I can live with a few guys that might be there at 13.

Kassian for sure, but I could live with guys like Jordan Schroeder, Scott Glennie, Ryan Ellis, John Moore, Peter Holland, Carter Ashton, Jeremy Morin, Calvin De Haan, and Drew Shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
There's plenty of players that are good candidates in that range outside of Kassian. Just because he fills the size and aggression requirement doesn't mean he's going to turn into the next Lucic, he could just as easily be another Rasmussen. I don't mind the slot as there's some decent centers that could very well be available there and that's a bigger need on this team...I like Kadri, Josefson, Panik and Morin who all should be there. O'Reilly is growing on me but he would be a reach at that slot.

Players that might drop and be available would be Schroeder who's on the small size but has a ton of skill. They should also have some quality defensemen available like Moore, Laarson and you never know if someone might want to jump up to grab Ellis which might let them get back into the second round.
I could live with Josefson. I don't think Ellis will fall to 13, and will be bummed if he does and we take him.... Kadri is top 10. Panik and Morin are the type of guys that led to my post. Sure they are solid prospects, but they or similar players could easily be had at 23...

I guess my real problem is that all the value in the range of our pick (#13) will be in Defensemen (Moore, Ellis, Despres, Kulikov, Laarson).

I'd rather trade down 10-12 spots where guys like Shore, Ashton, Oreilly, Caron, Budish, Brown, etc could still be available....

It's not that I dont like this draft. I just don't like where we are picking, I believe the talent after the first 8-10 prospects is relatively = over the next 30 picks, so picking 13 sucks.

Jame is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
  #199
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,815
vCash: 500
Awards:
Caron, Burish, Brown -- all should be available after 20, although Caron's post-season will see him on the rise.

I'm not all that interested in Schroeder, Moore or Ellis based on what is already in the pipeline. Kassian might be there, he might be there at 20... I'd rather they not make a Joel Savage type pick, but then again, I really like Kassian's overall game.

LeBlanc, while small, has the fire I'd like to see more of in the lineup.

De Haan might be worth a look, so too if Despres slips.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
  #200
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd rather trade down 10-12 spots where guys like Shore, Ashton, Oreilly, Caron, Budish, Brown, etc could still be available....

It's not that I dont like this draft. I just don't like where we are picking, I believe the talent after the first 8-10 prospects is relatively = over the next 30 picks, so picking 13 sucks.
Here is some more fuel for that fire:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960

Quote:
No. 11 - 15
Average Rating: 4.58
Best: Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky, Alex Tanguay.
Worst: Matt Zultek, Michael Henrich, Scot Kelman, Artem Kryukkov, Jesse Niinimaki, Hugh Jessiman, A.J. Thelen, Teemu Riihijarvi.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 54%

No. 16 - 20
Average Rating: 4.44
Best: Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Alexander Frolov, Robyn Regehr, Petr Sykora.
Worst: Jens Karlsson, Jakub Koreis, Brad Church.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 62%

No. 21 - 25
Average Rating: 4.96
Best: Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Daniel Briere, Brad Boyes.
Worst: Luca Cereda, Jeff Brown, Craig Hillier, Mikhail Kuleshov, Nikos Tselios.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 72%

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.